Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2020-21 - Epilogue

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    So, I was curious, if Trump is removed, and Pence is also implicated and removed, next in line is Nancy Pelosi.......

I mean, I know we're talking far-fetched here, but one can dream, right? 1st female president? Who put their bets on that one???
    Many Trumpers are claiming that this is the Dem’s evil plan. (“Coup.”)

Technically, it’s likely to be possible only if the Pres and VP die in a plane crash or something. Because, as what happened with Agnew and then Nixon, the impeachment process is separate; if Trump gets removed or resigns, the VP immediately becomes President and selects a new VP. If Pence is then impeached and removed, Pence’s VP becomes President.

With Nixon, Agnew resigned and then Nixon made Ford his new VP, then Nixon resigned, then Ford became President (and he was not elected at all).
    Last edited by allegro; 01-15-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    If that was what Parnas was willing to give up during the first part of the interview, I wonder what the second part has in store. Also, he is calculating and careful. If this is what he's willing to talk about, imagine everything he actually knows. He is smart enough to hang on to critical information to save himself later.

I totally expected the lawyer to interject and shut down answers the entire time, and he never did. Fucking incredible.

We are unbelievably fortunate to have Rachel Maddow right now.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Government Accountability Office determines that OMB broke the law by withholding aid to Ukraine

PDF of the memo

NYT piece (basically every outlet is covering it; just happened to have this tab open)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    has anyone actually defined what a "perfect phone call" is? because at this point it's almost "I love lamp!" levels of discourse.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Heh heh

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    has anyone actually defined what a "perfect phone call" is? because at this point it's almost "I love lamp!" levels of discourse.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    The greatest phone call I ever made was a 9.7, but that was back when I was in my prime. Nowadays my best calls are in the high eights.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    i think he is going to win again. be afraid, be very afraid.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    "Reporters Battle New Restrictions in Trying to Cover Senate Impeachment Trial"

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/17/79712...eachment-trial

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Fucking Ken Starr and Alan Dershowitz. lol

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I have always considered myself a pacifist and am averse to physical confrontation, but listening to these people stand before the senate and say "the president was locked out and never given a chance to defend himself, so this is a biased case" is filling me with a fury I've never felt before and has brought me to understand why some people move past civil disobedience and just get outright violent.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

that seems fair and rationale.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    The U.S needs a serious intervention and sadly I'm not sure an election's going to do it.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Analysis that paints a pretty damning picture that Trump assassinated Soleimani just so he could make money in the markets.

Which points to this infuriating thing that flew under my radar: the JPMorgan Volfefe Index - yes, a real thing - that tracks market moves in relation to Trump's tweets. It's pretty much undeniable that he is guilty of a life sentence's worth of financial crimes just during his presidency alone.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Some damning info from Bolton's book draft just dropped via the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/26/u...k-ukraine.html

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quite telling how Trump's tweets about Kobe are how he should have responded following every mass shooting, hurricane, etc. over the past 3 years, but yet, he saves his actual nobility if you can even call it that for the death of a major celebrity.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    God I can't even imagine how embarrassing this fucking bullshit trial must look for us in other parts of the world.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Please someone tell me if I'm misunderstanding, but Dershowitz's argument seems to boil down to:

1: What Trump did wasn't bad enough to merit impeachment because "misdemeanors" is ill-defined, and:
    2: Well, other Presidents have been accused of abuse of power but you didn't impeach them, huh.

Both of these are really weak. Relying on semantics and such.

Edit: He's also arguing that it's cool he's changed his mind about all this in the past 20 years, because nothing matters anyway except the inexorable slide unto heat death.
    Last edited by DF118; 01-27-2020 at 07:44 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    Please someone tell me if I'm misunderstanding, but Dershowitz's argument seems to boil down to:

1: What Trump did wasn't bad enough to merit impeachment because "misdemeanors" is ill-defined, and:
    2: Well, other Presidents have been accused of abuse of power but you didn't impeach them, huh.

Both of these are really weak. Relying on semantics and such.

Edit: He's also arguing that it's cool he's changed his mind about all this in the past 20 years, because nothing matters anyway except the inexorable slide unto heat death.
    I can't keep up anymore.... I gotta keep from clawing my face off

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I can't keep up anymore.... I gotta keep from clawing my face off
    Having been in law, I’d think I’d gravitate toward this. But I haven’t watched one single second of it. I stopped engaging in any of it on Twitter. I’ve taken myself out of it.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I heard the Fresh Air interview with the authors and it was absolutely horrifying. I still can't wrap my head around how someone this unqualified, ignorant, immature and just fucking dumb somehow managed to become president. It boggles the mind.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I heard the Fresh Air interview with the authors and it was absolutely horrifying. I still can't wrap my head around how someone this unqualified, ignorant, immature and just fucking dumb somehow managed to become president. It boggles the mind.
    because there are a lot of americans who are unfortunately also unqualified, ignorant, immature, and fucking dumb.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    is the White House prone to issuing 'formal' threats or is this new?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    This is one of those things that instinctively feels like "that should be illegal" but then immediately you realize there's no law that would make it illegal, despite it sucking so very flagrantly.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    is that not what most of this presidency has been about, realizing that there are scores of things that should be illegal and finding out that they aren't?

I mean that beyond the obvious illegalities of course. between the two paying any sort of attention to this madness is difficult.