Page 35 of 113 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 3385

Thread: Trump 2020-21 - Epilogue

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I've been wondering about this train since he started on it months back. Is this a dog whistle I'm not getting? Who is he wooing with this? As I've established recently, even though I thought I wasn't really in a bubble, I'm still in a bit of a bubble. So, what's the deal? Surely if this were just about his "fuck the climate" thing, he'd have seized on something more...significant than shower and dishwasher pressure? Are people really struggling with this?

When this started, I surveyed fifty or sixty people in the bar I worked at, right on the edge of the rust belt in a red county. Literally no one said they'd ever had an issue with their dishwasher other than "fucking landlord's too shitty to fix it" or "it's so old it sounds like a lawnmower."

Am I missing something important? Why is this his thing?
    Well I'm guessing it goes something like this.

Trump complains about something, then tells someone to look into it (because right now he acts like a king). The person comes back and says it may be because regulations whatever. Then he tells one of his cronies to fix it somehow.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Well I'm guessing it goes something like this.

Trump complains about something, then tells someone to look into it (because right now he acts like a king). The person comes back and says it may be because regulations whatever. Then he tells one of his cronies to fix it somehow.
    I've thought about this, too. It has to be personal. He probably got pissed his Ivanka fantasy was interrupted by the realization his shower pressure sucks and it ruined his day. I don't see anyone in the plumbing fixture industry railing against this...it just doesn't make much sense.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I know it's been discussed about how an impeachment this close to the election could be seen as a negative but that was for some petty-ass usual Trump bullshit. This, this is different. This needs to happen today. he's telling on himself, you don't even have to call witnesses! just play the God-damn tapes and that's your witness.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

I know it's been discussed about how an impeachment this close to the election could be seen as a negative but that was for some petty-ass usual Trump bullshit. This, this is different. This needs to happen today. he's telling on himself, you don't even have to call witnesses! just play the God-damn tapes and that's your witness.
    From what I understand, this is totally illegal; tampering with the USPS, deliberately. Seems like one more indictment if he loses.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

can it just be November already?
    My husband and I have always hated those water-saver things in showers. Pretty much everyone in the Great Lakes States do; we live literally one mile from the water plant and two miles from the giant source of water that keeps RISING, not lowering, and we pay by volume for our water.

Everywhere else, I totally get it; here, we use a drill to disable the water saver filter.

I don’t think Trump knows how to use a drill, though.

edit: I also suspect that the plumbing in the White House being so old might be contributing to the lack of water pressure, not the shower head.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-13-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Last edited by allegate; 08-13-2020 at 02:49 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    It's pathetic how he is fucking with the USPS ESPECIALLY during the time of a pandemic.

For instance, I had an item shipped from TN to here in NJ. because of current events, it's been nearly a month and I still haven't gotten it yet. thing is, it's something I want to return, and can't get a refund (over $100) until I ship it back to them. ughhhh.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

"uh, I wanted to ask about the payroll tax" is such a shitty follow-up to that.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Kanye West is now saying that he's talking to Jared Kushner "daily."

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Judge orders Trump campaign to produce evidence of voter fraud in Pennsylvania

Ranjan, the judge overseeing the suit, was appointed by Trump.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Huh. Weird. I live on the shore of Lake Ontario and have never heard anyone complain. Always interesting when you find out something is "a thing."
    I think you’re misunderstanding. A Federal law was passed regarding water-saver fixtures and toilets in 1994. Federal, mandatory in all states. Even if there is zero need for water conservation in some of those states.

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/17/n...d-toilets.html
    Last edited by allegro; 08-13-2020 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Kanye West is now saying that he's talking to Jared Kushner "daily."
    LOL OMG.

Have fun in prison.

Edit:

Harvard Law Professor:
    Last edited by allegro; 08-13-2020 at 07:42 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    now Kushner is claiming that Kanye and he have been "friends" for ten years or so, and talk every now and again.

What is this reality... it's too much

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    No, I got you. I'm aware of the fixtures. I've just never heard anyone complain about the result—outside of that Seinfeld episode. And I've lived in a few cities where there would be no need for conservation. Weird that I didn't know it bothered people is all.
    Perhaps it’s a generational thing. A shitload of us grew up with shower heads that were like fucking fire hydrants. After the new water-saver laws, it all changed.

You should read all the complaints about kitchen faucets. Omg. The water saver filters impede, but then when you combine that with sediment from galvanized pipes in old houses, your expensive faucet is kaput. I’ve gone through four kitchen faucets in the last 6 years. Cheap ones are even more disposable.

/drift
    Last edited by allegro; 08-13-2020 at 10:48 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Re Post Office:

DeJoy is having SORTING MACHINES REMOVED!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/polit...nes/index.html

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Everyone's rage at inaction is justifiable, but I haven't seen anyone yet say "This is who we yell at to make this stop." Our senators? Our congresspeople again? They would have to come back in session to address this, correct?
    Do not put any faith in Dem leadership in the House or the Senate. Pelosi & Schumer are both fucking terrible, but the corrupt, ancient dinosaurs that head up the proper committees to take action on this in the House aren't anyone to get your hopes up about either.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Instead of letting Republicans that want redemption in a Biden White House construct the anti-Trump narrative with devastating ads, Cenk from TYT started a group to attack him with the same venom, but from actual leftists that aren't just mad that Trump winning in 2016 froze them out:

This is the first. I think it's really well done, especially serving to remind us of some of the older disgust we all had in the Trump admin's past moves. More are coming & supposedly will be even more aggressive. Spread these around in your circles.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    didn't see this in a tweet so no pretty picture, just a response in the comments somewhere else:
    You're not supposed to call him that yet.
    Spoiler: "fewer" sounds like Führer

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This is scary stuff. It reminds me a LOT of Atwood’s “The Handmaid’s Tale,” and how - during the beginnings of the takeover - people protested and amplified the protests gradually but still didn’t see the impending DANGER ahead of them, and the protest groups were disjointed and focused on different goals and none of them saw the doom ahead of them (forest for the trees), until it was too late and the military was shooting and killing people and the borders were locked down and debit cards and credit cards were all locked down and people were rounded up and killed based on social media posts and protest presence etc. And the reader (or, the viewer of the TV series who’s read the book) yells “GET OUT, before it’s too late!”

And I’ve been at that point for a while. Wondering, is this the time to GTFO and bail? Can I trust other Americans to save us from disaster? Not just an election loss but something TERRIBLE like this?

That this could become Belarus? Easily. And it won’t matter where you are on the political scale; if you are the opposition, you’re in prison or dead.

Last edited by allegro; 08-14-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Please don't amplify my inner turmoil like that, it makes me nervous and I start thinking about a tin foil hat to protect my brain waves.

In a normal Presidency this would be something, but this one? It's a fart in the wind.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It might be too late to leave, due to Covid.

The military is obviously already infiltrated by coup supporters. Those “military” people in Portland were obviously mercenaries, who will do his bidding. It’s suspected that they’re Russian. Nobody heard them speak.

I hate being THAT PERSON who’s worried about THAT STUFF.

But then will I be one of the idiots crying, later, wishing that I would have escaped before it got that bad?

People in Germany surely didn’t see the Final Solution horrors coming until Hitler was firmly in place.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-14-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    You mention Germany and it reminded me of some thoughts I had: They always talk about those people in Germany who just went along to get along, yeah? And I think about the people in the USPS - as an example - who are doing the same instead of pushing back against this. Or the people in the military. Or every fucking person in the entire government who is just going along because they don't want to make waves. This is their time, their time TO make waves. And they aren't. That's why we have an OIG and all that. Just fucking woman up and take a stand.

And no more of this imbecilic "I'm resigning because I don't recognize the department anymore" bull crap. Stay there, make the change happen.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    And I think about the people in the USPS - as an example - who are doing the same instead of pushing back against this.
    To be fair, the workers in the USPS *are* pushing back against this. They're informing their customers about it; the union heads are on TV telling people about it and how it's impacting postal deliveries, etc.

But, otherwise, yeah, I agree with everything else you say; the GOP is not only complicit, Trump is their PUPPET. There's NO WAY that guy is smart enough to be orchestrating all of this by himself. That's a big machine, there, designed to create fascist power because they were going to lose power the old-fashioned way: via votes and attrition.

The GOP is a racist and nationalist machine, designed to keep white nationalists in power and to hold down the "others." Plain and simple, that's what it's morphed into. Make no mistake.

I was watching Lawrence O'Donnell and he had Stuart Stevens on, who wrote this book called "It Was All a Lie; How the Republican Party Became Donald Trump."

It was compelling, I immediately bought a copy, and will read it as soon as I'm finished reading this Mary Trump book.

This article in the Intercept sums a lot of it up: https://theintercept.com/2020/07/05/...uckley-racism/

Last edited by allegro; 08-14-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The American Postal Workers Union would like you all to follow them on Twitter and support them in their fight. https://www.apwu.org

Last edited by allegro; 08-14-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

well fuck me sideways.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    "It's not called the United States Postal Business. And that's for a reason. It's called the United States Postal Service. And we have an obligation under the law to serve everybody in this country, no matter who we are or where we live, from the most rural outpost or the densely-populated inner cities. So it's not a normal business where every letter somebody has to make a profit on, somebody has to make money."

Last edited by allegro; 08-14-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

well fuck me sideways.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    so I guess it shouldn't be surprising, but they're pushing a birther conspiracy with Kamala Harris now

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53774289

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    so I guess it shouldn't be surprising, but they're pushing a birther conspiracy with Kamala Harris now

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53774289

Yeah, it's been circulating Twitter for a while, but it started getting pushed via NEWSWEEK magazine. When did Newsweek turn into such a fucking rag?

FOR THE RECORD: This shit has ZERO merit. ZERO.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/169/649

https://law.jrank.org/pages/24279/Un...irthright.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...n_of_the_Court

Upholding the concept of jus soli (citizenship based on place of birth), the Court held that the Citizenship Clause needed to be interpreted in light of English common law, which had included as subjects virtually all native-born children, excluding only those who were born to foreign rulers or diplomats, born on foreign public ships, or born to enemy forces engaged in hostile occupation of the country's territory. The court's majority held that the subject to the jurisdiction phrase in the Citizenship Clause excluded from U.S. citizenship only those persons covered by one of these three exceptions (plus a fourth "single additional exception"—namely, that Indian tribes "not taxed" were not considered subject to U.S. jurisdiction). The majority concluded that none of these four exceptions to U.S. jurisdiction applied to Wong; in particular, they observed that "during all the time of their said residence in the United States, as domiciled residents therein, the said mother and father of said Wong Kim Ark were engaged in the prosecution of business, and were never engaged in any diplomatic or official capacity under the Emperor of China".
    To reiterate:

The exceptions to birthright citizenship are:

• born to foreign rulers or diplomats
    • born on foreign public ships
    • born to enemy forces engaged in hostile occupation of the country's territory
    • Indian tribes "not taxed" and not considered subject to U.S. jurisdiction [note that this concept has since been revised through consequent case law]

Senator Kamala Harris' parents were not any of those four exceptions per U.S. vs. Wong Kim Ark and is, therefore, having been born in Oakland, California, a citizen of the United States of America.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-14-2020 at 01:27 PM.