Page 26 of 113 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2020-21 - Epilogue

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Firstly, because I just read this in trying to find out more:who other than the Supreme Court has jurisdiction on the land of the United States? Is this what he's referring to?both quotes are from this blog.

Secondly, this is what I was alluding to: So reading that actually explains my original question in that this wasn't about the rape, it was about who can prosecute the rape.

Hey I learned myself something.
    Learning is awesome:-) You are exactly correct. This involves jurisdiction, aka “proper venue.”
    If the treaty stands, it’s to be tried in a Federal court; if it doesn’t, it’s tried in the Oklahoma state court system.

Gorsuch’s opinion begins:

“Today we are asked whether the land these treaties promised remains an Indian reservation for purposes of federal criminal law. Because Congress has not said otherwise, we hold the government to its word.”

The law blog sums is up:

As Indian law cases go, the dispute in this one is easy to understand: whether the land once granted to the Creek Nation as a reservation retains that status. The majority of five says that it does, because Congress has not adopted any single statute that explicitly terminates that status; the dissenters say that it does not, reasoning that the total body of congressional intrusions in the area, culminating in the development of eastern Oklahoma as a predominantly non-Native American area, adequately illustrates Congress’ intent to disestablish the reservation.

Gorsuch begins by documenting the clarity of the historical record establishing the creation of the Creek reservation: a series of treaties and statutes that, among other things “solemnly guarantied” the land to the tribe, “forever set apart as a home for said Creek Nation,” “no portion [of which] shall ever be embraced or included within … any Territory or State.”

Gorsuch then turns to the question of whether “the Creek Reservation persists today,” recognizing “that Congress has since broken more than a few of its promises to the Tribe,” and that Congress unquestionably has the raw power to disregard those promises and destroy the reservation. On that point, Gorsuch emphasizes that the power to terminate the reservation “belongs to Congress alone,” and that “this Court [will not] lightly infer such a breach.” Introducing a theme that dominates the opinion, he explains that “States have no authority to reduce federal reservations lying within their borders”; giving States that power “would … leave tribal rights in the hands of the very neighbors who might be least inclined to respect them.”
    Last edited by allegro; 07-10-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    When gorsuchs was nominated... Wasn't it clear he would rule this way on this issue if it came up? I recall something about his record on native americans

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    When gorsuchs was nominated... Wasn't it clear he would rule this way on this issue if it came up? I recall something about his record on native americans
    Yes.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Good for him. It should be the standard, but really good for him.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The levels of moron has no depths. We learn this IN GRADE SCHOOL!!!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    The levels of moron has no depths. We learn this IN GRADE SCHOOL!!!

What is Dump referring to there?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    What is Dump referring to there?
    That Lincoln was a Republican. "Nobody knew this, until I came along."

WTF.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    That Lincoln was a Republican. "Nobody knew this, until I came along."

WTF.
    He doesn't know anything about history. He thought we stormed British airports during the Revolutionary War. Imagine trying to explain to him how the civil rights movement affected political alignment.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    He doesn't know anything about history. He thought we stormed British airports during the Revolutionary War. Imagine trying to explain to him how the civil rights movement affected political alignment.
    It goes back way before that, actually.

Here is a good timeline: http://www.liberalparty.org/LPofNY/w...calParties.pdf

Democrats used to be "socially conservative and economically liberal."

If things had stayed EXACTLY the same as back then, I'd be a Republican right now.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    ah no, I understand that it was a gradual steady process with a series of stepping points and watershed moments, I was just imagining how maddening it would be to actually try to explain any of it to Trump, or at least in a way in which he would acknowledge that anything being said is true.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ah no, I understand that it was a gradual steady process with a series of stepping points and watershed moments, I was just imagining how maddening it would be to actually try to explain any of it to Trump, or at least in a way in which he would acknowledge that anything being said is true.
    He is too fucking stupid.

There's no way he could humiliate himself THAT much by saying something like that to his minions of "uneducated" by thinking THEY all didn't know this shit.

He's either lost all of his marbles or he never had them in the first place.

He got a degree in real estate, and Mary Trump's book says he originally wanted a degree in MOVIE PRODUCTION.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    He got a degree in real estate, and Mary Trump's book says he originally wanted a degree in MOVIE PRODUCTION.
    I really want to read this one. Just when I thought I was done with reading "tell-all" books about Trump.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    An excellent article:

The point isn’t that the cognitive test is easy. The point is that Trump keeps bragging about it.

For example, the test asks you to draw an analog clock showing 11:10 not to see if you’re smart enough to draw a clock but, instead, to evaluate whether there’s any impairment that would prevent you from doing so. To you and me (presumably), such a task is simple — because our brains can quickly work out how to complete the task. Draw a circle. Write the numbers in the circle. Add the hour and minute hands and done.

Each of those steps, though, measures some cognitive ability. The circle itself. The positioning of the numbers, which requires more planning ahead than you might consider. The placement of the hands from center to number. These are simple, discrete tasks that a normal brain can easily complete — as readily as one can recite the alphabet. If you have impaired cognitive functioning, though, it’s not easy at all.

All of this is why the test itself shouldn’t be scoffed at for being easy. All of this is also why one shouldn’t brag about doing well on the test.

Which brings us to Trump’s recent invocation of the cognitive test he took. The president and his allies have invested a lot of energy in questioning former vice president Joe Biden’s mental acuity, given the likelihood that Trump and Biden will face off in November.

At a news conference late last month, a Fox News reporter asked the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee if he had been tested for cognitive decline.

“I’ve been tested. I’m constantly tested,” Biden replied, apparently meaning in the abstract and not with specific tests like the one Trump took. “Look, all you’ve got to do is watch me — and I can hardly wait to compare my cognitive capability to the cognitive capability of the man I’m running against.”

When Trump called into Sean Hannity’s Fox News show last night, Hannity raised the interaction, showing a series of incidents in which Biden stumbled over words.

Trump, oddly, insisted that Biden must have meant tests for the coronavirus, which Biden clearly didn’t. But then Trump raised his own cognitive test.

“I actually took one when I — very recently, when I when I was, you know, the radical left was saying, ‘Is he all there? Is he all there?’ And I proved I was all there because I — I aced the test,” Trump claimed. “And he should take the same exact test. The very standard test; I took it at Walter Reed Medical Center in front of doctors."

Trump then turned it up a bit.

“And they were very surprised,” Trump said of the doctors. “They said that’s an unbelievable thing. Rarely does anybody do what you just did.”

No. That did not happen. Or, at least, it didn’t happen without a qualifier like, “rarely does anybody your age not demonstrate any of the impairments this test is meant to measure,” which is possible. But the doctors did not call this “an unbelievable thing.” It would be like my fawning over your alphabet recitation: “Wow, you even nailed the L-M-N-O-P.”

Getting a perfect score is literally the baseline for being normal, not for being exceptional.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-12-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I really want to read this one. Just when I thought I was done with reading "tell-all" books about Trump.

I pre-ordered it because I want to give her the money. She and her siblings got the shaft (plus she has a B.A. and a Masters in English Lit). Then G wanted his own hardcopy edition (to give her more money), and I got notification from Amazon the other day that it's back-ordered until mid-August. Good on Mary Trump.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    When Trump and Covid is all too much, we can laugh at this again:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I would have claimed as many as possible and burned them.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

so what is she looking for here?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    this fucking Kayleigh person... listening to her defend Roger Stone in these dramatic terms... "the Roger Stone clemency was a very important moment for justice in this country."

FUCK. YOU. FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU. I cannot stand this. Why are people not throwing rotten fruit at this person?

https://twitter.com/harrylitman/stat...87611897536512
    Last edited by Jinsai; 07-13-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    not only that, but Trump is throwing Faucci under the bus full steam.

he also held a filmed round table today about the "positivity" of law enforcement.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

so many things in this thread and it's all bat shit insanity.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Upon reversing his stance on the Roger Stone sentence (so that he now, of course, kowtows to Trump's lead), William Barr said: “First let me say what an honor it is for me to serve under a president who is such a strong supporter of law enforcement.”

COME ON!! YOU AREN'T EVEN TRYING ANYMORE!!!!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Speaking of Barr...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Speaking of Barr...
    I expect that Barr will retreat to the distinction between a pardon and commuting the sentence. I don't know, at this point, he's obviously such a toady, why even bother trying to be subtle about it anymore.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 07-14-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    y'know, I wonder if one of the reasons Trump actually brags about acing that cognitive test could be because he actually thought it was challenging. Like, was he furrowing his brow and slowly saying to himself "which one is the lion... if 1 is A and 2 is B, then what is 3... geez, that's a tough one, I might have to guess."

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    That 1-a-2-b-3-c one was the one that gave me the most trouble when I did the tests, mostly because I kept forgetting the rule of number-letter-number. Which was key to the results because it was all of the memory tests that I did poorly on. Remember these five numbers, have a conversation, then recite the numbers. That kind of thing.

But at least I can admit I have a problem and have worked on ways to get around it.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    did anyone else watch the crazy "campaign rally" he just held in the Rose Garden? He started off by making an announcement supporting HK vs China, and then quickly launched into a rambling thing about Biden. Eventually CNN cut the feed, and I don't know what the hell he said after that point.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    it only got worse after he cut the feed

he's in attack mode now, full force.

Biden, (and voters) need to fight back.