Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2020 - There are still children in detention separated from their parents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    "Gone mad" = See, be careful, there.
    Sorry

He's having a tantrum today on Twitter*

Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    I'm trying very hard to be a good person too. I'm trying to better myself everyday. I'm a believer of " when they go low, we go high".

But.

Donald Trump is a vile human being for many, many reasons. And he constantly attacks people based on their race, gender and disabilities. He clearly thinks he his superior to everyone. If he has a debilitating illness, he should just come out an admit it, especially if it's apparent, as it seems to be the case. I would not make fun of him for having such an illness. But I will laugh at his pathetic explanations attempt.

You Americans are facing the possibility that his narcissism and his overblown ego will make him refuse to step down as President should he lose the elections. He would not hesitate to put your country into an unprecedented crisis. Such a man does not deserve respect.

So I don't blame anyone who would laugh at him, even if they cross the line I would not.

Mentioned
    820 Post(s)
    The blame for him being there?

AMERICAN VOTERS.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Poking fun at possible handicap / disability or playing armchair psychiatrist re mental health (using terms like "narcissist" or "crazy" or "bipolar" or "manic" etc.) = ableism.

Poking fun at anything else (dick size, clothing, inability to be President, lying, high heels, etc.) = Okay.
    Okay, I'm mostly following you, or at least the core concept. But for something like the armchair quarterback thing...he has done a lot to make many people (including medical professionals) question his neurological health. Is it completely out of bounds to even ask about that, especially given that we know he would not be honest with us if he was diagnosed with something? I can understand if this was an honest person of integrity we were talking about - someone who we could take at their word. Or do we have to just pretend that none of these behaviors are troubling because it might be inconsiderate to talk about them?

Also, is it wrong to hold POTUS to a higher standard of physical and mental fitness than most jobs? I know that reasonable accommodations are to be made wherever possible and I 100% support that. Someone in a wheelchair shouldn't be turned down for a desk job, for example, because their mobility does not effect their ability to do their job, but you wouldn't hire them for a job that requires running, climbing, etc in a time-sensitive field). But I would be lying if I said I didn't have reservations about someone with a severe (and especially if untreated) mental health condition being in charge of country- and world-wide life or death decisions.

I feel like I would take some amount of solace in knowing about these things though - like, imagine if Trump was bipolar. And he literally came out and said "I am bipolar, I take medication for it, I speak with people about it - it does not define me, and it does not control me". How fucking empowering and encouraging would it be for bipolar people everyone if the goddamn President of the United States owned up to that? I feel like that would be an absolutely groundbreaking moment.

Also...I'm not going to lie, I feel really confused about how we can actually refer to the president's behavior if so many terms are off-limits due to ableism concerns. POTUS goes off on some conspiracy theory rant about something, an we can't even say something as seemingly innocent as "wow, he's crazy" without insulting an entire community? What can we call that behavior? Words have power. I absolutely understand that. There's a reason I don't look at his speeches and go "oh my god, that man is retarded". Even just typing it as an example made me cringe. I just can't keep track of where the etymological line is drawn between "this is an acceptable description of someone's behavior" and "this is an offensive and derogatory term". Sometimes it feels like you literally can't criticize someone for something that really deserves to be criticized. Meanwhile, it's totally socially acceptable to make fun of the size of his cock - something that could not be any less important or relevant to his ability to fulfill his oath of office.

Again, love you all. I hope this doesn't sound like me calling anyone out or something. It's just very hard to wrap my head around things sometimes. I am not the best in the world at picking up on social cues (and definitely not good at holding convos in real life).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does he actually do any work? Constantly tweeting.

Side note: I didn't read the post above my comment before posting, sorry once again

Mentioned
    820 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    that Kayleigh lady is horrible. defending the use of "kung flu" as not racist multiple times over, among other terrible things in today's presser.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Why is she constantly flipping through a book at press conferences? That shit is weird and annoying.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    that Kayleigh lady is horrible. defending the use of "kung flu" as not racist multiple times over, among other terrible things in today's presser.
    I always hate when he fires someone laughably incompetent, even when I'm glad about it, because he often replaces them with someone really good at their job—which is a problem, when that job is "do evil." McEnany has been twice as effective as a Conway, Spicer, Sanders dogpile. And she's twice as loathsome as all of them. But she's a true believer and skilled in the art of propaganda. Makes me miss the incompetently corrupt.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Why is she constantly flipping through a book at press conferences? That shit is weird and annoying.
    it's so annoying. she can't speak without looking up her answers first. is she in 6th grade or something?

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    I know that someone in that position has a lot of lies information they have keep in order, and I know people who have a reference sheet for specific numbers, but I can't remember ever seeing someone do it to the extent she does it. It's virtually every question.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I have to ask - and with absolutely all due respect - it seems like there's been a very sudden shift from "you guys, we can't talk about his physical health because that's disrespectful" to "lulz look at these ads about dick jokes and messy hair".
    I promised I'd stop trying to chide people into not focusing on his potentially failing physical or mental health and, despite my viewpoint not having changed, I'll stick to that. It seemed to me that many if not most of the folks here were on the other side, arguing for the import of discussing those things—if, maybe, for tweaking the tone of the discussion.

I can't not admit that I also literally just said "I'm okay with the Lincoln Project releasing an ad where they mock his crowd size by slyly making fun of his sexual competence." Seems hypocritical. It is. I often find I'm not 100% capable of living up to my own beliefs. If you're looking for an explanation of why I made this puzzling choice, it's because it didn't seem as out of bounds to me to sexually shame someone who has admitted to and been all but convicted of sexual assault. Plus, it's coming from his own party—which is a thing I haven't been counting on, and so it seems less like lack of focus on a more important issue and more like a bonus. If that makes sense.

That being said, I think my actual hypocrisy is the suggestion that a commercial that sexually shames the man—regardless of his deserving it—is acceptable when my original argument was that discussions of health are problematic because of "the glee accompanying the complete loss of focus on matters which are more likely to dethrone this idiot...aimless glee in the distracted mockery and not...posting to raise awareness and effect change on an issue." This Lincoln Project ad is absolutely a distraction from very fucking serious issues—Berman's firing and the propagandistic takeover of Voice of America—from just the last half of last week, not to mention the other issues he's currently bungling. And, as such, I probably shouldn't encourage it. You're not wrong.

I haven't seen the "Disheveled" one yet.

Glad to have a group of people who are generally polite and insightful to discuss this kind of stuff with, because most political conversations with people I actually know locally are much more whiny / shout-y and utterly unproductive.
    Me, too.

Is it completely out of bounds to even ask about that, especially given that we know he would not be honest with us if he was diagnosed with something? I can understand if this was an honest person of integrity we were talking about - someone who we could take at their word. Or do we have to just pretend that none of these behaviors are troubling because it might be inconsiderate to talk about them?

Also, is it wrong to hold POTUS to a higher standard of physical and mental fitness than most jobs?
    Absolutely it's not out of bounds or wrong to question his health or hold him to a very high standard. That I have always been in support of. My issue was, especially with the ramp/lifts thing, was that, at this late point, it seems to be the case that he's not going to volunteer any answers and people, though right to ask these questions and have these concerns, are going to go unsatisfied. Every time the issue of his fitness comes up, it seems to end the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism, earlier:
    The unfortunate reality is that we already have a mountain of questionable images and videos which have done no good in riling a critical mass or the correct significant individuals. I don't know why this issue never gelled with the public, but it hasn't ever reached a true tipping point. It amazed me how quickly the sketchiness of his doctor became a meme and punchline in 2016, quickly eclipsing the valid questions that brought us that "doctor" in the first place. Then again about a year later. Which is why I'd rather focus less on his possible or probable lying about health issues—a problem it looks like we can't get to the bottom of—and more on the other very demonstrable and undeniable ways he is a dangerous and incompetent president, especially right now as it seems more and more people are catching onto that fact.

I would wholeheartedly endorse any organized campaign to either compile and deliver to the right people a comprehensive archive of such clips and images in order to force the issue of medical transparency before the election; I'd also wholeheartedly endorse a large-scale grass roots effort where so many people are posting or hashtagging in pursuit of medical transparency that it can't be ignored. When he provides us with more data in this area, it never seems to amount to either of those things.
    Two things I hadn't previously noted should maybe now be noted, at least for my sake.

First, so to speak, I'd never had a blueberry muffin before the first time I had a blueberry muffin. I'd been in a lot of places with blueberry muffins, some of which even looked delicious, but I'd never had one. Then I did. I just decided to. So, the fact that, historically, Trump's mental and physical gaffes and lapses have "done no good in riling a critical mass or the correct significant individuals" doesn't mean that, the next time he has a gaffe or lapse, that won't be—again, so to speak—the first blueberry muffin. I should maybe have thought harder about that.

I'm just worried that in the "aimless glee [of] the distracted mockery", we'll lose track of some other shit he's done or is doing and, if it doesn't pay off, we'll just have had a good joke to no practical purpose.

Second, though he's always excused his issues in the least believable ways, I sort of withdrew some of my objection to discussion of the ramp/water incident because he—for some fucking reason—made explaining it a campaign platform issue. He didn't drop it all week. Then spent FOURTEEN MINUTES on it at his rally. That's one of every eight minutes of a rally he's been dying to hold for over three months in an election year. That is kinda worth comment to me. If he's going to make both the incident and his absolutely unbelievable and counterfactual explanations for it an issue, well, okay then.
    Last edited by Sesquipedalism; 06-22-2020 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Formatting. And additional content.

Mentioned
    820 Post(s)
    I know that someone in that position has a lot of lies information they have keep in order, and I know people who have a reference sheet for specific numbers, but I can't remember ever seeing someone do it to the extent she does it. It's virtually every question.
    It’s a prop.

So she doesn’t have to look at the journalists in front of her, while she’s lying and humiliating herself.

Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    It’s a prop.

So she doesn’t have to look at the journalists in front of her, while she’s lying and humiliating herself.
    Might be part that, part reference for talking points... like when she looked up and started quoting "YOUR news organization called it the Chinese Coronavirus 23 times!" or some shit. She knows what she's going to be asked about, and there's gotta be "when they ask this, say this" lines in there for backup.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Might be part that, part reference for talking points... like when she looked up and started quoting "YOUR news organization called it the Chinese Coronavirus 23 times!" or some shit. She knows what she's going to be asked about, and there's gotta be "when they ask this, say this" lines in there for backup.
    The latter is what I’ve assumed; today was a pretty good example. Made me wonder what the page header was—was there a little Avery binder divider tab sheet marked “racist stuff,” or is that so broad that we’ve simply got a “Kung Flu” one?

Mentioned
    820 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    The latter is what I’ve assumed; today was a pretty good example. Made me wonder what the page header was—was there a little Avery binder divider tab sheet marked “racist stuff,” or is that so broad that we’ve simply got a “Kung Flu” one?
    Lol this is a really good point.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Another Lincoln Project ad... They're turning these around quick. Lollllll

Pathetic that the Democratic party needs a bunch of Never Trump Republicans to do their heavy lifting. These ads are going viral & actually hitting in the way they hoped. DNC/Dem leadership/some PAC made up of actual Dems (and specifically NOT Biden...his campaign should stay away from messaging like this, at least for now) should have some sort of plan that incorporates eviscerating Trump just like this using his own playbook & playing by his rules. Biden should stay above the fray bc that's part of his brand, but the rest of us shouldn't. The stakes are too high. Go for the jugular bc this piece of shit needs to go. Republicans don't f around with their messaging & ads...and we got feckless Schumer & Pelosi playing paddycakes.

Mentioned
    820 Post(s)

Last edited by allegro; 06-23-2020 at 03:16 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Well, the first one is goddamned delightful. I love it so much.

The others produce a range of different flavors of dread in me. Which is nice, the range. Variety being the spice of life and all.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    The point about poll numbers not being a cause for relief is absolutely valid.

Every poll leading up to the 2016 election showed a huge lead for Hillary and very little chance of Trump winning. I remember sitting down to watch what I expected to be Trump losing in a landslide and quickly losing my mind in horror as the exact opposite of that happened.

I won't be breathing any easier until he's gone.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    it's so annoying. she can't speak without looking up her answers first. is she in 6th grade or something?
    It's a reference sheet for talking points and lies.

Mentioned
    820 Post(s)

Last edited by allegro; 06-23-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    820 Post(s)

Last edited by allegro; 06-23-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

that is, uh, very similar to the tests I took a few months ago for my memory loss issues. Granted it's a much more condensed test as well considering what I did took several hours and it was a lot more detailed, but the word repetition and the number recall were the two that tripped me up the most.

and it's for, uh, Parkinson's?

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    This Republican group is separate from the Lincoln Project
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive...155146283.html

Mentioned
    820 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    This Republican group is separate from the Lincoln Project
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive...155146283.html
    That’s a BUNCH of high-profile Republicans voting for Biden. Wow. Just because Trump is so repugnant.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Well damn.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I mean..... holy shit.

Mentioned
    820 Post(s)