Page 44 of 113 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 94 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 3385

Thread: Trump 2020-21 - Epilogue

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not really surprising is it? He was an ass towards John McCain in like 2015?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I think it's true. I believe he said it. Totally sounds like something he would say.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I think it's true. I believe he said it. Totally sounds like something he would say.
    there are multiple accounts of him expressing his views including at john kelly’s son’s grave. clearly the man has no heart if he says i don’t get to the father of a slain soldier at the goddamn gravesite. he thinks the military are his props. remember he wanted a military parade for his inauguration?

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Apparently the Trump Boat Parade in Texas didn't turn out so great

I know this is juvenile, and I'm just enjoying some schadenfreude, but I need these brief glimmers of sunlight to keep me going.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    sadly, the Trump boat parades (yes, multiple) in NJ were filled with hundreds of boats today. fucking disgusting.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    what is it with the "boat parade" thing? Is it "I have enough money to blow on an ostentatious hobby, and that aligns with my political telegraphing?" Otherwise, what's the "message" here? Why boats specifically?

Someone needs to do some art project / protest thing... riding some haunted ghost craft with starving immigrants/refugees being forced to row, and then on the top deck, a Jerry Falwell Jr impersonator watching his wife fuck the pool guy.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Cohen's new book alleges that Trump hired an Obama lookalike so he could yell at him and "fire him" and stuff

It sounds too out-there, but he's got a picture of this Obama impersonator, and really, is anything too out-there at this point?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Last edited by allegate; 09-05-2020 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ^ this is fucking horrible

and as for hiring the Obama impersonator, I'll say it: just coming across as a slave owner. yelling at and "owning" (humiliating) a black man.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Going viral on FB, Ron James is a comedian from Canada and has some choice words for the U.S. and it's Trumpmania.

Some may be insulted by this but oh boy was it epic.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Watching that video where Trump yells at the fake Obama made me feel very weird and uncomfortable.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I know this is supposed to be shocking, but it's not at this point. He's their golden god, and they treat him as such. It's a fucking cult.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Cohen's new book alleges that Trump hired an Obama lookalike so he could yell at him and "fire him" and stuff

It sounds too out-there, but he's got a picture of this Obama impersonator, and really, is anything too out-there at this point?

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    That’s true... the initial report made me think he kept some faux-Bama actor handy to scream at and “fire” when he lost his temper. The fact that that even seems believable freaks me out a bit, but it is what it is.

on the election point, it’s looking like the debates might carry a lot more weight than expected. Polls show that despite majority support for Biden, for whatever reason Trump is the popular favorite by FAR to “win the debates.” Trump is probably the worst debater I’ve seen. Biden should be able to wipe the floor with his unprepared ass, and if he does, this is in the bag

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I know this is supposed to be shocking, but it's not at this point. He's their golden god, and they treat him as such. It's a fucking cult.
    Every president has their idiotic sycophant apologists. Trump's not special.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Every president has their idiotic sycophant apologists. Trump's not special.
    I think he is, and not in a good way.

I don't remember people putting Bush or Obama flags on a flag poll. There is something cultish about some of his supporters.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I think he is, and not in a good way.

I don't remember people putting Bush or Obama flags on a flag poll. There is something cultish about some of his supporters.
    He used fake populism to advocate for his presidency. Neither other president pandered that base as hard as he did. He also has a right slant (and a huger right slant than Bush did) so it allows floodgates for more idiots to flock.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    He used fake populism to advocate for his presidency. Neither other president pandered that base as hard as he did. He also has a right slant (and a huger right slant than Bush did) so it allows floodgates for more idiots to flock.
    The conspiracy theory shit is also "unique" really, and let's not overlook it in the hurricane of craziness. He appeared on Info Wars and thanked Alex fucking Jones!
    THIS HAS NOT BEEN NORMAL FOR A VERY LONG TIME NOW. Don't mistake it for normal. We've already normalized way too much of this, and that's inevitable. You'll go crazy battling with the gaslighting. But DO NOT mistake Trump for "just another republican politician."

He is very "special."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Trump is still completely indistinguishable from Reagan, the Bushes, etc. And from the Democrats, for that matter (for instance, Bill Clinton was the first President to politicize immigration in the modern era by signing the 1996 law that created ICE). They're all the same flavor of shit, and while Trump is terrible, most of the pearl clutching surrounding him as some kind of uniquely terrible presence is simply designed to corral dissidents back into voting for the Democratic Party. The more Trump is constructed as a unique threat, the safer the system becomes from any kind of thoroughgoing critique.

Everything bad Trump has done has precedent in not only prior Republican, but prior Democratic Administrations (again, Bill Clinton deported 1,800,000 immigrants).

But one effect was clear: After IIRIRA, deportation from the United States went from a rare phenomenon to a relatively common one. "Before 1996, internal enforcement activities had not played a very significant role in immigration enforcement," sociologists Douglas Massey and Karen Pren have written. "Afterward, these activities rose to levels not seen since the deportation campaigns of the Great Depression."

Democrats are at a historic juncture, soul-searching and reconnecting with a neglected base. The 1996 laws have made it very difficult for rising stars to campaign with a clear conscience. The obvious response when they criticize the current president for predatory immigration enforcement is that the laws were created by Clinton, not Trump—and, by and large, that’s true. President Barack Obama was dubbed “deporter in chief” because he continued to fund the system Clinton built

If anything, Trump is marginally better on issues like criminal justice reform than the conservative, authoritarian Democratic Party. And the Democratic Party has always been conservative, and it has always been authoritarian. Even such periods of "radicalism" under its watch as the New Deal were mere attempts to stabilize and protect capitalism.
    Last edited by Einzige; 09-08-2020 at 05:31 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    He still doesn't get it.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    Trump is still completely indistinguishable from Reagan, the Bushes, etc. And from the Democrats, for that matter (for instance, Bill Clinton was the first President to politicize immigration in the modern era by signing the 1996 law that created ICE). They're all the same flavor of shit, and while Trump is terrible, most of the pearl clutching surrounding him as some kind of uniquely terrible presence is simply designed to corral dissidents back into voting for the Democratic Party. The more Trump is constructed as a unique threat, the safer the system becomes from any kind of thoroughgoing critique.

Everything bad Trump has done has precedent in not only prior Republican, but prior Democratic Administrations (again, Bill Clinton deported 1,800,000 immigrants).

If anything, Trump is marginally better on issues like criminal justice reform than the conservative, authoritarian Democratic Party. And the Democratic Party has always been conservative, and it has always been authoritarian. Even such periods of "radicalism" under its watch as the New Deal were mere attempts to stabilize and protect capitalism.
    yeah but nobody gives a fuck comrade, your solutions are fantasy Marxist dogshit. You are just saying dumb shit like “Bill Clinton was the same as Trump and Bush and...”

nobody agrees, and nobody’s going to. Stop “contributing” with this nihilistic horseshit drift

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    They're all the same flavor of shit, and while Trump is terrible, most of the pearl clutching surrounding him as some kind of uniquely terrible presence is simply designed to corral dissidents back into voting for the Democratic Party.
    I can't speak for everyone on this post, or forum, but I base my opinion regarding Trump as a piece of shit on his past, and current actions, what he says in news conferences and what he posts on his twitter (which I don't follow or look at often) - not because of the media, or the Democrat Party's "designed" portrayal of him.

Why are you here? I hope you're a fan of Trent, but it seems odd that you just appeared out of the blue and started posting last month - and I get that you might've been a forum lurker for years and decided to make an account, I've been there, done that. It just seems like you over complicate the discussion by purposefully injecting comments that butt heads with the majority of people that use this thread. You seem to refer back to laws, or policies that were enacted by previous Presidents, which is fine, but please keep in mind that we are in the present, and political parties (or is it Party's?, I dunno!) have always evolved/changed based on the people that support that party.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Pretty much... maybe if we weren't facing down this election after years of hell, it'd be more tolerable to have someone insisting that there's no distinguishable difference between Jimmy Carter and Donald Trump, but I just don't have the patience for it now. There's nothing specific about this "argument;" it's generalizing bullshit that's completely in the service of unpacking some communist utopia garbage

By all means though, make a separate thread. I'll avoid it.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-08-2020 at 09:12 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    there's no distinguishable difference between Jimmy Carter and Donald Trump
    Funny you should mention Carter, because he wasn't that distinguishable from Trump.

Flyers circulated by the Carter For Governor campaign, 1970:

https://external-preview.redd.it/bx0...=webp&57861063

If you can't read it:

WILL THE GOOD PEOPLE OF GEORGIA RE-ELECT A MAN

• Who refused to let Governor George C. Wallace address the Georgia legislature after he had been invited to speak by a group of Georgia's leading statesmen?
    • Who has the endorsement and active support of Hubert Horatio Humphrey- the Minnesota wind tunnel- and the rest of the Washington ultra-liberals?
    • Who sold Georgia out in the Presidential election to L.B.J. the left-wingers and the national Democrats in order to obtain special favors?
    • Who is supported by Julian Bond, Sen. Leroy Johnson and the black bloc vote?
    • Who went into office a po' boy from Augusta - and came out worth millions?
    Also Jimmy Carter: “I'm not going to use the Federal Government's authority deliberately to circumvent the natural inclination of people to live in ethnically homogeneous neighborhoods.”

Carter campaigned as a race-baiting evangelical Christian who opposed big gub'mint and favored deregulation, harkening in the age of neoliberalism with his deregulation of airplanes, beer, and other industries. Ref. Salon: "How Reaganism actually started with Carter." His governance was indistinguishable from Reagan or later Republicans like Trump.

but I just don't have the patience for it now. There's nothing specific about this "argument;" it's generalizing bullshit
    The argument is generalized that capitalist politicians simply function in largely the same ways, and that the system itself is garbage.
    Last edited by Einzige; 09-08-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I feel like I've read all this before. And the point that @d1stinct made about coming in out of the blue with a new account and yet you sound like you've been here before, knowing exactly what buttons to push for max annoyance, is an interesting one.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    if you hate capitalism so much, why live in a country that supports it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I feel like I've read all this before. And the point that @d1stinct made about coming in out of the blue with a new account and yet you sound like you've been here before, knowing exactly what buttons to push for max annoyance, is an interesting one.
    NIN fans are a type - typically college educated, middle-class strivers - and as such almost uniformly liberal in the American sense. And as American liberalism is, functionally, the representative ideology of the left-wing of Capital, without any internal coherence other than that required to service its faction of Capital, it's pretty easy to push those buttons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    if you hate capitalism so much, why live in a country that supports it?
    All countries support it (including autarkic capitalist states like the DPRK, in which production for exchange is engaged in under protectionist conditions). Capital is the ruling paradigm of the world today. When it ceases to be so, there will cease to be countries.