Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When did you know? You know, really know? (The first time you heard NIN)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I knew of NIN in the 90's but hadn't actually heard any songs or know anything about it. When I was that perfect age of "almost in High School" my sister (via her at the time boyfriend) played WITT and I fucking loved it. Not too long after, Napster became a thing and "too young for a job but no allowance" me turned to downloading. Of course I got a few random not-NIN songs (like Danny's remix of Symphony of Destruction) but got a good enough sampling to have a decent burned cd to listen to in school. By the time I was able to start buying cds, AATCHB came out, I saw what they're like live, and was SO UPSET that I had missed the opportunity to see them (since I thought that was it). I think I probably watched that DVD more than I listened to any of the cds at that point (side note: AATCHB is in my husband's top 3 NIN releases) and I spent the next few years buying the entire catalog... then nin.com started updating with talk of new music. And then the hidden clips of WT songs started. THTF was the first release I was able to get the night it came out, and I've gotten everything at release ever since.
    I'm still mad I missed the Fragility tour, since it's my favorite album, but at least they kept touring.

But since Weird Al was my fav musician before that (because the guy is fucking awesome), technically Germs was my first "taste" of NIN. Seeing that one live was great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I used to not like rock music very much, but than my Step Dad showed me Add Violence which is more electronic than rock, but whatever.

I liked it first listen, and so I looked at more NIN. That album made me like not only NIN, but also rock music as a whole.

rock music is the perfect drug.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzalovingnerd View Post
    I used to not like rock music very much, but than my Step Dad showed me Add Violence which is more electronic than rock, but whatever.

I liked it first listen, and so I looked at more NIN. That album made me like not only NIN, but also rock music as a whole.

how deep have you explored? I assume pretty extensively if you sought out this board and joined.

If not and you need more suggestions, we can all submit plenty. What are some of your favorite acts? There is a NIN for almost every taste.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, and I'm still exploring Even Deeper. I've been a fan since 2017 when Add Violence came out, and my favorite NIN albums are Year Zero, Bad Witch, and Hesitation Marks. Downward Spiral is also up there.

I own every mainline album, but I've never dove into any of the remix albums like Fixed and Further Down the Spiral. I have listened to all , and they are very good. I'm also looking for other similar bands,

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

When I read what you said about not liking rock music very much I just had to check your profile. And well, I've got to say, welcome to the world of Nine Inch Nails and rock music in general.

I've been constantly racking my brain about this since 2010, but it turns out that a lot of people born in the late 1990s and 2000s don't seem to be into rock music. However, I'll also make it clear that I'm referring to people I've known and met in real life, because all types of exceptions will always exist on the Internet, just like now.

Every time I see people born after The Downward Spiral or The Fragile mention music, it usually seems to be anything but rock music. It's often EDM and K-Pop. (Not that I'm dissing those genres either, but that usually seems to be the case. I hardly see people born in the late 1990s and 2000s talk about rock music and albums.) Oh, and aside from EDM and K-Pop, it's also usually just rap and pop in general as well. However, I'm also very much "Live and let live." with genres, as I also like other genres aside from rock, but rock and pop in general have and still continue to be my main genres as of now.)

Never in my life would I have also ever guessed I'd see people talk more about DJs than bands, until now.

*And even if it's about electronic music in general either, I never saw Aphex Twin mentioned even once.*

And as for Nine Inch Nails, most of the youngest fans I've seen were still often born before 1995, and the majority of the rest of the fan-base were born in the 1970s and 1980s. Anyway, I'm always happy to see younger fans entire the world of Nine Inch Nails.

While you're at it, I'd also definitely recommend/encourage you to check out this thread as well.

https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...ts-of-new-fans
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-20-2020 at 10:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was born and 2005, and I only discovered NIN and Rock Music because my Step Dad introduced me to it. My mom likes all that Pop crap, so I would have a terrible taste in music if my Step dad didn't listen to it.

I'm also looking for new bands similar to NIN, I like sort of the mix of Rock and Piano with different electronic things added. Every NIN song has a different sound, and I really like that about them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm also looking for new bands similar to NIN, I like sort of the mix of Rock and Piano with different electronic things added. Every NIN song has a different sound, and I really like that about them.
    I also love rock music with electtonic influrnced. I like these bands/albums. Maybe they are good for you too:

HEALTH: Death Magic / Slaved of Fear
    The Black Queen: Fever Daydream
    Gary Numan: Splinter / Savage
    INVSN: INVSN / The Beautiful Stories
    The Soft Moon: Criminal
    Enter Shikari: Take to the Skies / The Spark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, I'll look into those.