Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any chance of another Deviations release?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any chance of another Deviations release?

Super excited about the news that Reznor and Ross are working on a new NIN album but I was wondering if there is any news or hints at another Deviations album?

Also, I’d like to know what record all of you would like to see get that treatment. Personally, I think Year Zero would be an interesting choice.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    If there is I hope it’s priced and/or packaged appropriately. If not I hope there is a digital option.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    There's (almost) always a digital option, you just don't want the vinyl that comes with it.

:P

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    My money is on With Teeth. I have a feeling there are some songs leftover from the Bleedthrough phase of that album (even if they're instrumentals), along with the songs that were referenced on the lyric poster. I don't imagine there's enough unreleased material from the PHM-era to do a deviations release for that album. There's isn't a studio recording of Now I'm Nothing and the only other known songs I can only think of are Purest Feeling, Maybe Just Once, and Slate (the Sanctified intro). I have a feeling there aren't a great deal of TDS-era songs that didn't see a release between all of the b-sides on singles, soundtrack songs (Burn, Dead Souls), FDTS, and the 10th anniversary re-release. We do know that at least 2 songs from this era never saw a release, but one of these is a cover that likely wouldn't be included (Love Gun) and the other (Just Do It) might only be released in intrumental form (if they were afraid it was "too far" back in '94, I doubt he'd feel differently now that he's an adult and father). Year Zero would be really interesting, but considering they recorded that album while on tour, I don't know that there's a wealth of unreleased material from those sessions. I'd be REALLY curious to know if there's more material he recorded for Mark Romanek's One Hour Photo score that was rejected so he could make a Still: Deviations release!
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 12-20-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    My vote is for Ghosts (with lyrics...)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    There's (almost) always a digital option, you just don't want the vinyl that comes with it.

:P
    Well, sadly, The Fragile: Deviations 1 vinyl packaging was nothing to write home about. The digital PDF was more interesting, if I'm being completely honest. Bird Box got a cooler designed package than TFD1.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Deviations 1 was a money-grab. Expensive, poorly packaged, and not different enough to warrant its price tag or Halo number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Deviations 1 was a money-grab. Expensive, poorly packaged, and not different enough to warrant its price tag or Halo number.
    Tho I agree that the packaging was poor, the content itself was solid. Worth the price? Probably not. But The Fragile is my favorite album of all time and given all the extra material that was on this record, especially considering all the nuances it reveals, along with the alternate versions of songs we got, I think at the very least it deserves it’s own Halo number.
    Last edited by InvitingmeAway; 12-20-2019 at 04:17 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I'd be REALLY curious to know if there's more material he recorded for Mark Romanek's One Hour Photo score that was rejected so he could make a Still: Deviations release!
    A sequel to Still would be far preferable, in my opinion. There's so much material to draw from now, both old and new.

I feel that the reason TR hasn't done this is because it's easy, and he likes to be challenged.

I'd be much more into Deviations if the whole album were re-recorded in a manner similar to Still, or at the very least be a little more different than what Deviations 1 offered.
    Last edited by katara; 12-20-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I’ve never really appreciated what deviations 1 brought to the table that the fragile instrumentals on Apple Music hadn’t already covered. I mean there’s a whole bunch of extra tracks in D1 but the Apple Music release really underdut it imho

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Was it ever definitively established whether "Deviations 1" was intended to originate from of a series of Fragile Deviations releases, or whether Deviations 2 and so forth would have been sourced from a separate album? Most people are presuming the latter - myself included - but I always found the naming scheme a little ambiguous, perhaps intentionally. I mean, there was a lot of work that went on between 1995 and 1999. A whole album's worth of stuff wound up being scrapped at some point, if my memory serves.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Alot of the work done during that period was on Antichrist Superstar.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    between 1995 and 1999. A whole album's worth of stuff wound up being scrapped at some point, if my memory serves.
    That can't be true because The Manhattan Project didn't get canceled until 2000.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I mean, there was a lot of work that went on between 1995 and 1999. A whole album's worth of stuff wound up being scrapped at some point, if my memory serves.
    Source? I remember him often saying that one reason The Fragile took 5 years was because he spent 3 years avoiding making an album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I mean, there was a lot of work that went on between 1995 and 1999. A whole album's worth of stuff wound up being scrapped at some point, if my memory serves.
    the only thing that sounds familiar about that is actually post Fragile around the time he made DEEP for Tomb Raider. I recall some mention of new material but none of it surfaced. There was even some nin.com photos of him on guitar at the time.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Source? I remember him often saying that one reason The Fragile took 5 years was because he spent 3 years avoiding making an album.
    My memory of that "whole album's worth of stuff" sentence is an old one, and it might have been describing the earliest Fragile work. The closest corroboration I can find for that at the moment is from an Alan Moulder quote on NINwiki:

"I got involved pretty early on. Trent had one song written and about 15 demos. He also had about sixty 'bits,' varying from a riff or noise loop to a more evolved drum pattern with a bass or guitar line. We sorted through these and decided which ones to work on. Sometimes we combined drums from one piece with a guitar loop from another and a piano piece from another to make one new track.

We also started a lot of tracks from scratch. This is unusual as I am normally brought in at a later stage when the songs have been written. It was great to be involved from the 'blank canvas' stage. We would go through the tracks and pick one to work on. Then we'd spend a couple of days evolving that and messing around with the structure, adding new sections and instrumentation
    ."

So that might be what I might be remembering as referenced, those "fifteen early demos".

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    He also had some material from Big Sur. He did mention that one of the only things that survived from there was La Mer. Also mentioned that most of the other stuff sounded like Billy Joel's Teh Stranger... BUT that record and album are awesome.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    My money is on With Teeth. I have a feeling there are some songs leftover from the Bleedthrough phase of that album (even if they're instrumentals), along with the songs that were referenced on the lyric poster. I don't imagine there's enough unreleased material from the PHM-era to do a deviations release for that album. There's isn't a studio recording of Now I'm Nothing and the only other known songs I can only think of are Purest Feeling, Maybe Just Once, and Slate (the Sanctified intro). I have a feeling there aren't a great deal of TDS-era songs that didn't see a release between all of the b-sides on singles, soundtrack songs (Burn, Dead Souls), FDTS, and the 10th anniversary re-release. We do know that at least 2 songs from this era never saw a release, but one of these is a cover that likely wouldn't be included (Love Gun) and the other (Just Do It) might only be released in intrumental form (if they were afraid it was "too far" back in '94, I doubt he'd feel differently now that he's an adult and father). Year Zero would be really interesting, but considering they recorded that album while on tour, I don't know that there's a wealth of unreleased material from those sessions. I'd be REALLY curious to know if there's more material he recorded for Mark Romanek's One Hour Photo score that was rejected so he could make a Still: Deviations release!
    My money is on With Teeth as well, if it follows suite with the Apple Music instrumental releases. A handful of unreleased tracks have been teased is some form or another since it's release.

Runner ups woulds Year Zero and The Downward Spiral. Regarding TDS unreleased tracks, there's been mention of Just Do It and The Beauty of The Drug, and I'd like to think recordings actually exist. IIRC, Love Gun was planned, but scraped, not even sure that it made it to the recording phase.

Not sure if more music from One Hour Photo exists, I think it's another project that was pulled early on.

Hopefully some of this stuff is out there and we'll get to hear it one day.

Personally, I want to hear the vocal versions of some of those tracks that appeared on Deviations 1.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post
    The Beauty of The Drug
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. I'd always assumed that someone had mistakenly merged The Perfect Drug and The Beauty of Being Numb, but I believe that someone in the band (or someone connected to the band) did at some point confirm that this was a unique song.

IIRC, Love Gun was planned, but scraped, not even sure that it made it to the recording phase.
    If my memory serves me well, I believe there was bonus footage on the leaked Closure DVD that showed them working on it in the studio. They may have aborted it and never finished it, but I believe they at least began studio work on it.

Personally, I want to hear the vocal versions of some of those tracks that appeared on Deviations 1.
    I'm in total agreement with you here!

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    If my memory serves me well, I believe there was bonus footage on the leaked Closure DVD that showed them working on it in the studio. They may have aborted it and never finished it, but I believe they at least began studio work on it.
    That was recording sessions for Memorabilia and Sex Dwarf. I think Love Gun never got past the discussions phase.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    That was recording sessions for Memorabilia and Sex Dwarf. I think Love Gun never got past the discussions phase.
    Yeah, you're right. I remember now. My memory, it seems, cannot be trusted.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InvitingmeAway View Post
    Tho I agree that the packaging was poor, the content itself was solid. Worth the price? Probably not. But The Fragile is my favorite album of all time and given all the extra material that was on this record, especially considering all the nuances it reveals, along with the alternate versions of songs we got, I think at the very least it deserves it’s own Halo number.
    I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree with this more! Deviations should've been HALO 14 D1 or something like this.
    It drives me nuts that the EP trilogy is now HALO 29, 31 and 32. It's ridiculous! The definitive editions and the remasters were all given a halo numbers adjacent to the original one...

That's it. I know it's not a big deal but it really fucked with the look of the collection on the shelf

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post

Sex Dwarf was also played at some of the earliest live shows...

IIRC Trent said something about Love Gun being all disco-ed out and how Gene would have hated it. Not too get too far off topic, but Pantera would do an awesome cover of Cold Gin. Look out for the 1994.05.01 Jo Hall Osaka JAP soundboard recording. I also always wanted to hear Pantera play Hot for Teacher, I think they would have killed that song, Vince especially.

Anyways, back on topic. What about Just Do It? Also, any details on the DVD menu music for Closure? When was that made?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Sex Dwarf was also played at some of the earliest live shows...
    Oof, that spin at 1:29 turned me on

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Consider this: Deviations 1 included a ton of tracks we had zero information on (except for The March, but we also didn't know it by original name). We just knew that there were loads of outtakes, but that's it, no specifics, no track names or working titles.
    I'm 100% sure that a Deviations release is possible for any NIN era and there are dozens of demos in various stages of completion locked on tapes and hard drives that no one ever heard besides TR and the closest collaborators, who were involved in the recording.

Look at Radiohead for example. This band's early career is very well researched, they had dozens of leaked demos already, tons of unreleased song names mentioned by the band themselves in interviews, website posts and journals over the years, tons of rare songs occasionally soundcheked and caught on tape. (Go to citizeninsane.eu for that stuff if you're into it). Still, when the Minidisks leak happened, it had about 10 (maybe less) demos that even hardcore fans never knew. Some of them were just Thom mumbling with acoustic guitar, but I think a couple of them were full band practice runs.

What I'm saying is you shouldn't base your unreleased material predictions only on someone namedropping 2 song titles to a music magazine in interview 25 years ago.
    Last edited by fillow; 02-06-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. I'd always assumed that someone had mistakenly merged The Perfect Drug and The Beauty of Being Numb, but I believe that someone in the band (or someone connected to the band) did at some point confirm that this was a unique song.
    Trent mentioned it on the Disturbed interview CD. If there's another mention of it somewhere, I'd love to read it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post

What I'm saying is you shouldn't base your unreleased material predictions only on someone namedropping 2 song titles to a music magazine in interview 25 years ago.
    You're absolutely right.

I've done some archival research for a well known band and there are several songs like that. A member of the camp remembers something that literally no one else does.

They're probably not delusional..there are things that probably existed in some tangible form...either a lyric or melody but never made it beyond that.

Being a songwriter myself, there's more stuff that falls through the cracks than what actually makes it the stage or studio.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Bird Box Extended is the fourth four-volume set NIN/TR+AR have released after Ghosts I–IV, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Deviations 1. I think they have one more left in them this year, and a full set of With Teeth instrumentals & outtakes (including the two 2009 NIN/JA sampler tracks, and whatever else those extra things were on the home-made 2xCD-R with alternate Rob Sheridan artwork that sold at an eBay auction recently for over $1000) could fill that.

We know that many outtakes from that time and the demos for Year Zero eventually turned into tracks on The Inevitable Rise and Liberation... though, right? Would be nice to get a properly-mixed recording of Saul Williams' 2005 appearance onstage with them in New Orleans as a bonus on this next Deviations set.
    Last edited by botley; 02-09-2020 at 10:32 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    four-volume set NIN/TR+AR have released after Ghosts I–IV, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Deviations 1.
    wait, TGWTDT was 3 CDs / 6 records, and was never divided into four parts. (agree with you on everything else; sorry for being pedantic, you know i love you <3 )

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wait, TGWTDT was 3 CDs / 6 records, and was never divided into four parts. (agree with you on everything else; sorry for being pedantic, you know i love you <3 )
    Whoops, I goofed. You're totally right! I never actually got a physical copy, so I forgot that it was six discs on vinyl. I guess Halo I–IV is also a four-disc NIN set, but it's just a crass repackaging of existing stuff...
    Last edited by botley; 02-10-2020 at 09:59 AM.