Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Hot Chili Peppers

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I'd say I agree 100% with this post top to bottom but they do have a few moments post 1996 that are great. Very few and fleeting.

I am also in the One Hot Minute is the best album camp. I love Navarro's guitar work and seeing him go from Jane's to RHCP was radical. I think Dave is a better guitarist than John Frusciante in my books.

Weeeeeee

Oh damn I forgot all about Warped, loved that one when I was a kid!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    for me, navarro is an ok guitar player & frusciante is special. i will admit that i was never a big jane's fan but that has more to do with perry farrell than dave navarro. i saw one show where pixies circa doolittle & primus opened for jane's. pixies blew them away. when jane's came out it sounded like everyone in the band was on a different drug. not good. this was when pixies were doing the sets in alphabetical order haha.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    To each their own. I'd take boring-ass post-1999 safe stadium rock RHCP over their 80s stuff any day. I consider their first three albums pretty much unlistenable.
    Yeah, for me Mother's Milk is when the band really started.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    To each their own. I'd take boring-ass post-1999 safe stadium rock RHCP over their 80s stuff any day. I consider their first three albums pretty much unlistenable.
    Freaky Styley was the only good album from the first three for me

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Californication was there at the right time for me as a young teen, the award shows they played during that era...I'd record them on VHS and watch religiously as I was just learning to play drums back then.

It's impossible for me not to take to that album from such strong nostalgia, same with the sound the band basically stuck to from that point on. Also, the b-sides from that era and for By The Way are well worth the listen and customizing a track listing around. Some big mistakes were made leaving certain tracks in the final album forms and others out, like only one of their baddest songs, "Fortune Faded" (in the case of By The Way)!!! And "Gong Li" (in the case of Californication):

That all said, there is PLENTY of Stadium Arcadium I would call trash. "Wet Sand", "Strip My Mind", "Torture Me", "Desecration Smile", and "Make You Feel Better" are some of the few that I really like though.

When I'm with You came out, I was already too hardcore of a John Frusciante fan (starting with his 2009's The Empyrean) to care about it. Instead I went backwards to take some time with Blood Sugar Sex Magik, for the very first time, which I did end up liking enough to buy.

And since everyone's bringing it up...*ahem* dare I say I still haven't really taken the time with One Hot Minute... loL

John Frusciante's EP Foreglow is my favorite thing he's put out from his solo electronic stuff. Nice listen from start to finish.
    Last edited by Amaro; 12-22-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Lot of rumors Josh got blindsided by this news lmao. Someone posted an interview on reddit from a few years ago where Josh said it would be a horrible scenario if John ever wanted to come back and how he wouldn't know how to handle it. Idc what this band does anymore but I think its hilarious that they say how much they love Josh every chance they can get....Then apparently Flea begs John to come back and after he agrees, he tells Josh to take a fucking hike lmao

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Let's face it, all the backstage band member drama... such great fun, and always adds that certain tabloid frisson when you've run out of musical ideas. You can milk it for years — just look at Fleetwood Mac, to name one other relevant example.
    Last edited by botley; 12-22-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    RHCP is very appealing to the mainstream mind; they are just dangerous and edgy and alternative enough for people to feel cool about listening to them. A lot of their fans seem to subscribe to the whole “music should always be fun” and “I like all genres of music” sentiments. One Hot Minute got people out of their comfort zone (with songs about drugs, depression, god, death, and suicide). Navarro helped the band channel something more dark/real/authentic and fortunately they kept their tube socks at home during this era. So I’ve found that the more superficial types of RHCP fans actually hate this album.
    One Hot Minute is the On Her Majesty's Secret Service of RHCP albums.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I remember getting thrown out of RHCP forums around 2002 as well for saying how BTW was the biggest piece of shit radio friendly album ever made....And this was after John was doing interviews a year earlier claiming it was going to be a heavy punk rock inspired album (LMFAO considering it turned out to be 95% ballads and so syrupy that it would make latter day U2 cringe)......The great bands challenge their fanbase. The weak bands bow down to them.....After NIN dropped PHM everyone wanted PHM Part 2 and Trent dropped Broken on their ass instead. After "The Downward Spiral" everyone wanted TDS part 2. Trent chose to challenge them with Fragile. After 'White Pony' exploded, everyone wanted WP Part 2 and instead the Deftones released their heaviest record ever with S/T followed by their most experimental one in SNW. After Faith No More exploded with 'The Real Thing' everyone wanted TRT Part 2 and instead they released one of the most challenging fucked up brilliant albums ever with Angel Dust. After Nirvana exploded with 'Nevermind' and everyone wanted Teen Spirit Part 2, Kurt dropped In Utero on them instead.....Unfortunately for our friends Anthony and Flea, they decided to go the Aerosmith and Foo Fighters route and gave the people what they want. They briefly did try to challenge people with OHM and after the backlash, they ran into a corner with their tails between their legs, brought back John boy and started releasing the safest most radio friendly songs of their career. I have never seen a band abandon their original principles and sound and alienate fans of their OG style more than the Peppers. It is literally like 2 different bands. The 1980s punk funk and the radio friendly safe jock pop/rock......OHM was the bridge that returned them to their 1980s style for a brief moment in time before they sold out completely....
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 12-24-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    John Klinghoffer on his firing from the RHCP and his stint with the band.

I think it's interesting that he wasn't happy with the two albums he recorded with the band.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Album announcement coming, do you think?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Or John quit again.

...too soon?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    theyre touring next year.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

Well that was silly, though it played out mostly as I expected with Frusciante popping up as himself just kinda looking around in awe at all these goofballs

Obviously far greater things have been lost since the beginning of 2020, but we really missed out on seeing them play some shows/festivals last year while Frusciante got his live chops back, mainly because they likely would’ve pulled more obscure stuff for the set list. Now they’ll just be touring a new album and playing the hits. Oh well

I’m very anxious to hear new RHCP. They’d mostly never let me down w/ Frusciante in the band, the chemistry they have is undeniable even when it’s a more mainstream song I can’t stand…I just can’t wait to see if they’ve still got it after a decade apart. Also really curious to see if and how John’s breakbeat influences will show up.
    Last edited by AndItKeepsRepeating; 09-25-2021 at 09:41 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://www.facebook.com/ChiliPepper...6665871012604/

teaser posted to facebook. go incognito to keep the cookies away.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Can't believe I'm super excited based on this small teaser

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Can't believe I'm super excited based on this small teaser
    I can't wait for the new record & the tour. Frusciante is a special guitar player.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I hope that this record isn't compressed to death (it might be), or that Anthony isn't pitch corrected (he will be) or that he is too prominent in the mix (he might be).

Teaser is promising.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I hope that this record isn't compressed to death (it might be), or that Anthony isn't pitch corrected (he will be) or that he is too prominent in the mix (he might be).

Teaser is promising.
    Having John back should help with the vocals.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    New leak is saying the album is called Unlimited Love. Still saying 5/6 release.

wish I could access google drive here so I could see what this is but what I read says it sounds great.
    Track list here:

Conflicting info now suggesting 4/1 release date? Bernie Grundman is mastering, which makes the LP a must buy.

From the Metallica loudness interviews I'm pretty sure you can master all you want but if they give you shit you're going to be shining that shit up in the end.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It's a track called Black Summer. It sounds.....like the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Starts with a moody guitar and Anthony singing. Flea and Chad come in... It's solid but yeah...it sounds like you'd imagine it would.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well that managed to exceed even my lowest expectations, I was hoping it’s not actually them but it clearly is.

still holding out some hope for the album at least

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'd describe it as Scar Tissue meets Dani California. It's enjoyable, inoffensive, and just creative enough to be interesting. It sounds exactly like you would expect a RHCP single to sound.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They're pulling it down everywhere until tomorrow, I guess. We should just enjoy the ride, because when Frusciante fills up his bank account, he'll probably dip out again lol

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    Well that managed to exceed even my lowest expectations, I was hoping it’s not actually them but it clearly is.

still holding out some hope for the album at least
    that sounds so conflicted, lol

it was fine. like, if there was a middle-of-the-road sound they could have shot for that was it. it was fine. better than The Runaway at least. I mean I've listened to that - checks iTunes - seven times and I have no memory of it at all. one song is rated and I usually try to rate everything.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    bring dave back!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thar she blows

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Why does Anthony Kiedis sound like Weird Al doing a parody of a RHCP song about drunken sailors?
    Last edited by AndItKeepsRepeating; 02-04-2022 at 01:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's good to have John back in the band. This seems to be a "basic" RHCP track, but I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the album
    Also, Keidis' hair...WTF?