Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 47 of 47

Thread: Red Hot Chili Peppers

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    231
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    RHCP is very appealing to the mainstream mind; they are just dangerous and edgy and alternative enough for people to feel cool about listening to them. A lot of their fans seem to subscribe to the whole “music should always be fun” and “I like all genres of music” sentiments. One Hot Minute got people out of their comfort zone (with songs about drugs, depression, god, death, and suicide). Navarro helped the band channel something more dark/real/authentic and fortunately they kept their tube socks at home during this era. So I’ve found that the more superficial types of RHCP fans actually hate this album.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    pacific northwest
    Posts
    1,802
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    add me to the "one hot minute is their best" squad.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    893
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    Am I the only one that wasnít that into Stadium Arcadium? Album was pretty big for them but I didnít care for a lot of it.
    there's too much of it. it doesn't hold up to being a double like "fragile". there are some brilliant moments on it though. my favorite is still "by the way". i was just listening to a tape from vegas 2005. it was the 100th bday of vegas & it was a big, free show. they were on fire! i think that year they only did a few one off shows so the road weary hadn't set in.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    869
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    RHCP is very appealing to the mainstream mind; they are just dangerous and edgy and alternative enough for people to feel cool about listening to them. A lot of their fans seem to subscribe to the whole “music should always be fun” and “I like all genres of music” sentiments. One Hot Minute got people out of their comfort zone (with songs about drugs, depression, god, death, and suicide). Navarro helped the band channel something more dark/real/authentic and fortunately they kept their tube socks at home during this era. So I’ve found that the more superficial types of RHCP fans actually hate this album.
    They used to have an edge that appealed to skaters/punks/metal fans and OHM kind of brought that edge back so all the 'Under The Bridge' and 'Give It Away' mainstream fans ran for the hills.....Unfortunately instead of staying down that edgy path, they chose to embrace the mainstream and have been a boring U2/Coldplay safe stadium rock band since 1999. Any edge they used to have is long gone. Seems like they have slipped into Korn territory where they have a fanbase that loves them and everyone else thinks they are the worst piece of shit band in existence and loves to diss them (Nick Cave, Mike Patton, Henry Rollins etc)....I used to be a fan and only liked when they played the punk infused funk and always hated when they slipped into ballad mode. OHM is the last good album they have released. Everything post 1996 is utter shit

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    2,069
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I liked a lot of Californication. But after the 20th century I moved on

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,702
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    They used to have an edge that appealed to skaters/punks/metal fans and OHM kind of brought that edge back so all the 'Under The Bridge' and 'Give It Away' mainstream fans ran for the hills.....Unfortunately instead of staying down that edgy path, they chose to embrace the mainstream and have been a boring U2/Coldplay safe stadium rock band since 1999. Any edge they used to have is long gone. Seems like they have slipped into Korn territory where they have a fanbase that loves them and everyone else thinks they are the worst piece of shit band in existence and loves to diss them (Nick Cave, Mike Patton, Henry Rollins etc)....I used to be a fan and only liked when they played the punk infused funk and always hated when they slipped into ballad mode. OHM is the last good album they have released. Everything post 1996 is utter shit
    I'd say I agree 100% with this post top to bottom but they do have a few moments post 1996 that are great. Very few and fleeting.

    I am also in the One Hot Minute is the best album camp. I love Navarro's guitar work and seeing him go from Jane's to RHCP was radical. I think Dave is a better guitarist than John Frusciante in my books.

    Weeeeeee


  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,246
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    To each their own. I'd take boring-ass post-1999 safe stadium rock RHCP over their 80s stuff any day. I consider their first three albums pretty much unlistenable.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SF, SD
    Posts
    2,340
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I'd say I agree 100% with this post top to bottom but they do have a few moments post 1996 that are great. Very few and fleeting.

    I am also in the One Hot Minute is the best album camp. I love Navarro's guitar work and seeing him go from Jane's to RHCP was radical. I think Dave is a better guitarist than John Frusciante in my books.

    Weeeeeee

    Oh damn I forgot all about Warped, loved that one when I was a kid!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    893
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    for me, navarro is an ok guitar player & frusciante is special. i will admit that i was never a big jane's fan but that has more to do with perry farrell than dave navarro. i saw one show where pixies circa doolittle & primus opened for jane's. pixies blew them away. when jane's came out it sounded like everyone in the band was on a different drug. not good. this was when pixies were doing the sets in alphabetical order haha.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,702
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    To each their own. I'd take boring-ass post-1999 safe stadium rock RHCP over their 80s stuff any day. I consider their first three albums pretty much unlistenable.
    Yeah, for me Mother's Milk is when the band really started.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    911
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    To each their own. I'd take boring-ass post-1999 safe stadium rock RHCP over their 80s stuff any day. I consider their first three albums pretty much unlistenable.
    Freaky Styley was the only good album from the first three for me

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,670
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Californication was there at the right time for me as a young teen, the award shows they played during that era...I'd record them on VHS and watch religiously as I was just learning to play drums back then.





    It's impossible for me not to take to that album from such strong nostalgia, same with the sound the band basically stuck to from that point on. Also, the b-sides from that era and for By The Way are well worth the listen and customizing a track listing around. Some big mistakes were made leaving certain tracks in the final album forms and others out, like only one of their baddest songs, "Fortune Faded" (in the case of By The Way)!!! And "Gong Li" (in the case of Californication):



    That all said, there is PLENTY of Stadium Arcadium I would call trash. "Wet Sand", "Strip My Mind", "Torture Me", "Desecration Smile", and "Make You Feel Better" are some of the few that I really like though.

    When I'm with You came out, I was already too hardcore of a John Frusciante fan (starting with his 2009's The Empyrean) to care about it. Instead I went backwards to take some time with Blood Sugar Sex Magik, for the very first time, which I did end up liking enough to buy.

    And since everyone's bringing it up...*ahem* dare I say I still haven't really taken the time with One Hot Minute... loL

    John Frusciante's EP Foreglow is my favorite thing he's put out from his solo electronic stuff. Nice listen from start to finish.
    Last edited by Amaro; 12-22-2019 at 06:09 PM.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    869
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Lot of rumors Josh got blindsided by this news lmao. Someone posted an interview on reddit from a few years ago where Josh said it would be a horrible scenario if John ever wanted to come back and how he wouldn't know how to handle it. Idc what this band does anymore but I think its hilarious that they say how much they love Josh every chance they can get....Then apparently Flea begs John to come back and after he agrees, he tells Josh to take a fucking hike lmao

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,377
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Let's face it, all the backstage band member drama... such great fun, and always adds that certain tabloid frisson when you've run out of musical ideas. You can milk it for years — just look at Fleetwood Mac, to name one other relevant example.
    Last edited by botley; 12-22-2019 at 09:08 PM.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,788
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    RHCP is very appealing to the mainstream mind; they are just dangerous and edgy and alternative enough for people to feel cool about listening to them. A lot of their fans seem to subscribe to the whole “music should always be fun” and “I like all genres of music” sentiments. One Hot Minute got people out of their comfort zone (with songs about drugs, depression, god, death, and suicide). Navarro helped the band channel something more dark/real/authentic and fortunately they kept their tube socks at home during this era. So I’ve found that the more superficial types of RHCP fans actually hate this album.
    One Hot Minute is the On Her Majesty's Secret Service of RHCP albums.

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    869
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I remember getting thrown out of RHCP forums around 2002 as well for saying how BTW was the biggest piece of shit radio friendly album ever made....And this was after John was doing interviews a year earlier claiming it was going to be a heavy punk rock inspired album (LMFAO considering it turned out to be 95% ballads and so syrupy that it would make latter day U2 cringe)......The great bands challenge their fanbase. The weak bands bow down to them.....After NIN dropped PHM everyone wanted PHM Part 2 and Trent dropped Broken on their ass instead. After "The Downward Spiral" everyone wanted TDS part 2. Trent chose to challenge them with Fragile. After 'White Pony' exploded, everyone wanted WP Part 2 and instead the Deftones released their heaviest record ever with S/T followed by their most experimental one in SNW. After Faith No More exploded with 'The Real Thing' everyone wanted TRT Part 2 and instead they released one of the most challenging fucked up brilliant albums ever with Angel Dust. After Nirvana exploded with 'Nevermind' and everyone wanted Teen Spirit Part 2, Kurt dropped In Utero on them instead.....Unfortunately for our friends Anthony and Flea, they decided to go the Aerosmith and Foo Fighters route and gave the people what they want. They briefly did try to challenge people with OHM and after the backlash, they ran into a corner with their tails between their legs, brought back John boy and started releasing the safest most radio friendly songs of their career. I have never seen a band abandon their original principles and sound and alienate fans of their OG style more than the Peppers. It is literally like 2 different bands. The 1980s punk funk and the radio friendly safe jock pop/rock......OHM was the bridge that returned them to their 1980s style for a brief moment in time before they sold out completely....
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell; 12-24-2019 at 12:10 PM.

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,788
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    John Klinghoffer on his firing from the RHCP and his stint with the band.

    I think it's interesting that he wasn't happy with the two albums he recorded with the band.

Posting Permissions