Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Hot Chili Peppers

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Not even a huge fan or anything... But I'm taking the time to check all of their works I never did before...figured I'd make a thread (that surprisingly wasn't already made).

Californication was a big hit with me when it came out (age 12), so it's hard to look at it in a totally new way, for some reason, and that was really the only one I latched onto. I was interested in other stuff when By The Way came out, likewise for Stadium Arcadium. I'd heard some of their hits through the years, including "Fortune Faded" (which in my opinion was/is one of their greatest tracks, and should have been on By The Way), but so far with starting to test their albums (the later ones at the moment), By The Way is the one that's been the most listenable...as different of a Peppers album as I realize that is now. I think it was a good thing. People seem to give it a good amount of shit. Forget about what you expect from them, if you can, and you may also see a simply nice album. (I could do without a few songs on there though.) "Warm Tape" is a favorite.

I do have a different perception on Stadium Arcadium now that I've given it the time of day (finally)...mostly for the better. I thought it'd be a total shitfest. But if has some merit. Still wrapping that experience up.

The new album? I've technically heard it all already upon leaking, but wasn't really in the mood for them. I don't have high hopes though, but as always...we'll see.
    Last edited by Amaro; 06-16-2012 at 11:51 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Saw RHCP last night for free at a private party and even got to briefly meet them after. They sounded fantastic!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    One Hot Minute is a masterpiece (except for One Big Mob). Keidis is is a dick for ignoring this album and for not including Navarro in the HOF induction. For me, their entire catalogue is defined by this record. Warped and the title track are particularly heavy/awesome.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Red Hot Chili Peppers

OHM for the win. Although I dig every inch of it, one big mob included. The last 20 seconds in particular.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    OHM for the win. Although I dig every inch of it, one big mob included. The last 20 seconds in particular.
    https://sites.google.com/site/rhcpse...one-hot-minute

check out the combined version (as it was originally recorded) here. sounds pretty great when combined with stretch.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I think Kiedis' problem with the album is precisely that it is heavy. They didnt like to be going in that direction for whatever reason.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    https://sites.google.com/site/rhcpse...one-hot-minute

check out the combined version (as it was originally recorded) here. sounds pretty great when combined with stretch.
    Thanks! I had thought to try and find stretch this morning. I last recalled that — despite it supposed to have been one and the same with OHM — I couldn't see how they fit together at all. This is a pretty good blend.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I liked One Hot Minute. I thought it was a really good album. For me, everything went downhill after Californication where they became less funky and more soft though there's a few good songs in By the Way. I pretty much tuned out after Stadium Arcadium.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    More like it's the only album of theirs that actually has a skilled guitar player on it...
    That's a bit insane for me to read, but anyway.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    One Hot Minute is an amazing album. To me, the stuff from Californication onward is a little too soft and boring. There's moments on that and By The Way. Couldn't get into Stadium Arcadium at all. The last one was a step up though. Very unappreciated album.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    That's a bit insane for me to read, but anyway.
    Seriously lol. I know it's the way this forum rolls, to be that guy that makes the 'Whoa, I can't believe so and so said that!' comment, but give me a break.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Well, I for one, enjoy Navarro over the other guys. But, i'm biased since I really like Jane's Addiction. Not a single thing wrong with Frusciante, Josh, or even Slovak. They're all good. Just a matter of preference. I prefer Navarro's style over theirs. Just a shame they didn't do more albums together. A lot of "what ifs" with that band. What if Slovak didn't die? Etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Love BSSM, one of my favorite albums of all time. Their newest album was one that hit heavy rotation for me.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm a huge Frusciante fan of his Chili work and of his solo work, still I think One Hot Minute is an underrated album by both fans of the Chili's and by the band itself by refusing to play Navarro tracks during their live performances with John. That was just silly. So John left the band and they wrote new tunes with someone else, so what?

One Hot Minute also manages to bring out the best of Kiedis, which is quite a defeat.
    Last edited by hobochic; 08-06-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    My guess is that Kiedis probably doesn't have good memories of making that album. He had relapsed on heroin afterall. But, even if so, they still play some of the older Slovak songs, which came along with alot of drugs as well, and a death.

Makes no sense.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Red Hot Chili Peppers

It's true though.

Navarro is a far more skilled guitar player than Frusciante. Even when Navarro was as fucked up on heroin as Frusiciante, he was still killing him technically. Listen to Navarro's playing on OHM and its b-sides from that era and compare them with John's solo stuff from that same time period. The difference is striking: one guy (Navarro) is playing some of his best licks to date at that point, while the other guy (burnout John) is writing albums of meandering guitar noodlings.

Every RHCP album John has played on just sounds like a variant of BSSM. The same 'ping-ping-ping' guitar tone across every album. He has never played on an RHCP song as alive and as varied as 'Warped', 'Deep Kick' or 'Transcending'
    They're both very skilled guitarists. Why compare them so, at a particular moment in time? John had been in the band, fell out for serious reasons, then he got his shit back, and started whipping out strong material on the solo front. I'm really defending him as an artist apart from any band collaborating, because I feel he's a fucking god songwriter.
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-06-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I dont think it's fair to rate Navarro and Frusciante. They are both excellent from a technical stand point where Dave was always more rooted in metal than John's Hendrix influence.

I always read that the problem they had with OHM was that Dave didn't want to jam and was more comfortable experimenting and writing in the studio. I think Flea mentioned that they never felt Dave was operating at 100 percent during their time together. Also it sound like it was a dark time for the band heroin wise... so maybe they don't like to revisit those times.

OHM is a great album, their darkest, heaviest and most interesting. I do feel that it is the most inconsistent of their albums from the 90s era. There are great moments on there but as far as song writing goes, there were a lot of patchy areas.

I dont how anyone can hate on One Big Mob.... that long breakdown in the middle with the sounds of the baby crying.... Beautiful.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    OHM is a great album, their darkest, heaviest and most interesting.
    Absolutely. To me One Hot Minute brought the band back to that edgy, bizarre and twisted place where they were when I first found them. John's amazing contributions, as much as I love them, didn't quite create the darkness that OHM displays. It's tribal, eccentric, heavy and probably some of the band's and Navarro's best work ever. I've been playing it all day and it doesn't disappoint in any way.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I should also mention that Chad Smith owns OHM. Probably his best drum outing on any RHCP record.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I dont how anyone can hate on One Big Mob.... that long breakdown in the middle with the sounds of the baby crying.... Beautiful.
    The lyrics always bothered me and the chorus has no balls (aw yeah, aw yeah). Plus I always found the "I Am, You Are, Me" part to be off-putting and out of context on OHM (perhaps it would have been a better fit on Mother's Milk).

The breakdown that you are referring to, is pretty cool though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    they have a free live EP on their site now
    pretty good tracklisting.

http://www.livechilipeppers.com/musi...3-LIVE-EP.html

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It's true though.

Navarro is a far more skilled guitar player than Frusciante. Even when Navarro was as fucked up on heroin as Frusiciante, he was still killing him technically. Listen to Navarro's playing on OHM and its b-sides from that era and compare them with John's solo stuff from that same time period. The difference is striking: one guy (Navarro) is playing some of his best licks to date at that point, while the other guy (burnout John) is writing albums of meandering guitar noodlings.

Every RHCP album John has played on just sounds like a variant of BSSM. The same 'ping-ping-ping' guitar tone across every album. He has never played on an RHCP song as alive and as varied as 'Warped', 'Deep Kick' or 'Transcending'
    I like them both, and while I really liked One Hot Minute and think that it's a great one-off album, Frusciante was a better fit for that band. I agree that a lot of Frusciante's work with RHCP sounds like it was cut from the same cloth, but I don't know if that's really his fault. He may have left the band to pursue his solo career because he grew tired of re-writing "Under the Bridge" and he's able to do his own thing now. His solo albums aren't for everyone, but they are very creative. I felt that the last RHCP, I'm With You, was very average. If John had played on it, he probably would have made it a little more interesting.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    One Hot Minute is a masterpiece (except for One Big Mob). Keidis is is a dick for ignoring this album and for not including Navarro in the HOF induction. For me, their entire catalogue is defined by this record. Warped and the title track are particularly heavy/awesome.
    Who is inducted is up to the HOF, not the band. Unless you meant Keidis was a dick for not mentioning Navaro in his induction speech (I didn't listen to it). I thought that it was unfair that Navarro was not included but Klinghoffer was. That made no sense.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 07-03-2014 at 06:25 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I guess the band could always reject the nomination, thereby honouring their members. The HOF seems pretty stupid. Does anyone care about it?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I think the HOF is a sham. How can you not induct The Cure? Seriously. There's plenty of others who should be inducted, but haven't.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This is such a necropost response, but glad to see love for One Hot Minute. it is also my favorite RHCP album as well. Navarro was such a great fit to their style. And for admiring:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    This is such a necropost response, but glad to see love for One Hot Minute. it is also my favorite RHCP album as well. Navarro was such a great fit to their style. And for admiring:

agreed! and thanks for posting that video -- i forgot how fucking HOT it is.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I loved that video. The song is fucking great. Navarro was awesome as I liked One Hot Minute though it was very different from the stuff the Chili Peppers did previously. Yet, I would've preferred the direction they had with Navarro rather than the soft version the band had become upon John Frusciante's return.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Glad to see some love for OHM--most critics (and the band themselves) seem to dismiss it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    love One Hot Minute! I think Dave Navarro was a great fit in the band too.

I also like how it wasn't a carbon copy as BSSM and I guess OHM gets bashed quite a bit is because casual fans were expecting them to release BSSM part 2