Thread: Red Hot Chili Peppers

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    On my first listen
    so far, i prefer Unlimited Love among the two very similar albums
    I prefer ROTDC, simply because there's no "Aquatic Mouth Dance" on it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    The new record gets better with every listen. John worked a lot of magic on the overdubs. The overall sound of the record is fantastic.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Josh Klinghoffer Recalls 'Stifling' Red Hot Chili Peppers Tenure

They’re an established band with an established sound, and I learned over time how little deviating from that was possible.

Klinghoffer summarized his feelings by saying: “As much as I thought they were up for experimentation, they generally stayed in their own lane.” Despite that, he maintained his time with the band had been “a blessing and a beautiful experience.”

This explains why I'm With You was as dull as dishwater.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post

They’re an established band with an established sound, and I learned over time how little deviating from that was possible.

Klinghoffer summarized his feelings by saying: “As much as I thought they were up for experimentation, they generally stayed in their own lane.” Despite that, he maintained his time with the band had been “a blessing and a beautiful experience.”

For me Frusciante is 1 of those rare genius musicians like Prince, Trent, Steven Drodz, Lindsey Buckingham that lift other musicians. Josh is a fine guitar player but not quite on that level. I never listen to the 2 records Josh played on. I'd rather listen to By the Way or (with finger on fast forward) Stadium Arcadium. Those records to me are insanely good. Stadium with a little editing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I haven't listened to either Klinghoffer album in ages, but remember liking The Getaway and thought the I'm With You b-sides/outtakes were pretty good.

I still need to give the new album a spin, got it last week. I did really like "Eddie."

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post

I'm With You is a top five RHCP album for me. The African rhythm that punctuated Ethiopia and Did I Let You Know is amazing so I'm confused by his comments about staying in their own lane. Sounds kind of disingenuous. But...I guess maybe if he's talking about Rick Rubin? Rick's lost a step or three lately so I wonder.
    Chad Smith, in a May 17, 2016 radio interview, said the band loved Rick Rubin but wanted to work with someone different this time; that it was important to change producers and be inspired in a different way. Josh Klinghoffer would say in early 2020 after his departure that creative and personal differences between him and Rick Rubin during the recording of I'm With You led him to choose another producer for The Getaway.[8]

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    John interview in Mixmag.

https://mixmag.net/feature/john-frui...-jungle-breaks

Also, Anthony was on Joe Rogan but... you know...like... whatever

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    John interview in Mixmag.

https://mixmag.net/feature/john-frui...-jungle-breaks

Also, Anthony was on Joe Rogan but... you know...like... whatever
    I'm sure he was humble & gracious....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Both Klinghoffer albums were good especially The Getaway but it always get the hate One Hot Minute gets as it was not Frusciante

Frusciante is talented but Flea & Chad are the stars for me on Unlimited Love & RODC.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tickets go on sale starting Friday, December 9th at 10:00 a.m. local time via Ticketmaster. A Live Nation pre-sale will take place one day earlier on Thursday, December 8th (using access code CHEER)

Red Hot Chili Peppers 2023 Tour Dates:

03/29 – Vancouver, BC @ BC Place *~
    04/01 – Las Vegas, NV @ Allegiant Stadium #~
    04/06 – Fargo, ND @ FARGODOME ^~
    04/08 – Minneapolis, MN @ US Bank Stadium ^~
    04/14 – Syracuse, NY @ JMA Wireless Dome ^~
    05/12 – San Diego, CA @ Snapdragon Stadium >+
    05/14 – Phoenix, AZ @ State Farm Stadium ^+
    05/17 – San Antonio, TX @ Alamodome ^+
    05/19 – Gulf Shores, AL @ Hangout Music Festival
    05/25 – Houston, TX @ Minute Maid Park ^+
    06/18 – Landgraaf, NL @ Pinkpop Festival
    06/21 – Warsaw, PL @ PGE Narodowy <
    06/24 – Odense, DK @ Tinderbox Festival
    06/26 – Mannheim, DE @ Maimarktgelände <
    06/30 – Werchter, BE @ Rock Werchter
    07/02 – Milan, IT @ I-Days
    07/06 – Lisbon, PT @ NOS Live Festival
    07/08 – Madrid, ES @ Mad Cool Festival
    07/11 – Lyon, FR @ Groupama Stadium <~
    07/14 – Vienna, AT @ Ernst-Happel Stadion <~
    07/17 – Carhaix, FR @ Les Vieilles Charrues
    07/21 – London, UK @ Tottenham Hotspur Stadium %~
    07/23 – Glasgow, UK @ Hampden Park %~

* = w/ City and Colour
    ~ = w/ King Princess
    # = w/ St. Vincent
    ^ = w/ The Strokes
    > = w/ The Mars Volta
    + = w/ Thundercat
    < = w/ Iggy Pop
    % = w/ The Roots

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I get they had a lot of creative energy to expel with Frusciante's return...but there's like maybe 8-10 good songs across both of these albums?

And those songs are REALLY good. The best RHCP songs since the mid 00s (expected w/ Frusciante). Most of the rest of them are less interesting than the 2 albums w/ Klinghoffer.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    My GF made listen to the new album, yes, it's a bit better than "unlimited love", but still more of the same: boring jams disguised as songs that only are to showcase how great as musicians they are.

But there's like 6 tracks that are great, if you put them together with the 3 good track on "Unlimited Love" you can make a great album, i don't get why they decided to make two albums when most of the songs are B-sides at best.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    They're seriously cashing in. I'm a huge Frusciante & Flea fan & I went to the show at the baseball stadium in Seattle this summer. They were charging a lot of money for tickets, t-shirts, everything. They sounded great but I was really disappointed when they only played 90 minutes. If you're going to charge $300 for field tickets you should play an absolute minimum of hour & 45 minutes if not 2 hours. Both NIN shows I saw last tour were hour & 45 minutes but I was satisfied & wasn't left wanting. Sure I would've loved to see them play 2 hours but all in all NIN were very fan friendly with everything. Side note: The Cure are following NIN & charging $25 for t-shirts. In comparison RHCP were charging $50.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    1 hour 30? Damn.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)