Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: NIN Playing Albums in their entirety...besides Broken EP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NIN Playing Albums in their entirety...besides Broken EP

Has NIN done a live tour playing an album in full like The Fragile, The Downward Spiral, Pretty Hate Machine?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

NIN Playing Albums in their entirety...besides Broken EP

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroisGreg View Post
    Has NIN done a live tour playing an album in full like The Fragile, The Downward Spiral, Pretty Hate Machine?
    They have only done it once for TDS

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Negative. They played Broken once and TDS twice, and they were always unannounced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Negative. They played Broken once and TDS twice, and they were always unannounced.
    I recall TDS, yeah. Did they play just a few locations or maybe one...? I seem to remember that.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I recall TDS, yeah. Did they play just a few locations or maybe one...? I seem to remember that.
    Twice. 8/23/2009 at Webster Hall in New York & 9/2/2009 at the Palladium in Los Angeles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Twice. 8/23/2009 at Webster Hall in New York & 9/2/2009 at the Palladium in Los Angeles.
    That's IT. Thank you. Good times. Wish Ole Trent would release some kind of HD recording of it someway somehow...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    NINWiki says that the second performance was professionally filmed, but you know how it goes with NIN and unreleased projects.

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was at that Palladium show. With it being the Wave Goodbye tour and everything, I thought it would be the last time I'd ever see NIN live so seeing TDS played in it's entirety was magical.
    Last edited by deadwinterskies; 12-11-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    PHM was played in it's entirety during the 89 tour, although not in album order.

(also played Get Down Make Love and the unique "HATE" intro.)

http://ninlive.com/shows/1989/19891207.html
    http://ninlive.com/shows/1989/19891209.html

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    PHM was played in it's entirety during the 89 tour, although not in album order.
    Well, by that logic, Broken has also been played in its entirety multiple times, but I don't think that's really the criteria for the question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not quite on-topic, but I for one will never forget the cock-tease pulled by TR on Wave Goodbye night 1 in Chicago.

1. Pinion
    2. Wish
    3. Last

Thought we were in for something special. Still a hell of a weekend, though.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Well, by that logic, Broken has also been played in its entirety multiple times, but I don't think that's really the criteria for the question.
    Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. How many shows feature every track on Broken on the set - even excluding Physical and Suck?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. How many shows feature every track on Broken on the set - even excluding Physical and Suck?
    The all 1989-1994 show in LA on the last tour, for one.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    Not quite on-topic, but I for one will never forget the cock-tease pulled by TR on Wave Goodbye night 1 in Chicago.

1. Pinion
    2. Wish
    3. Last

I got an even worse tease when they opened with the first four songs off The Fragile. Also another good one where they opened with HLAH and Terrible Lie.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    The all 1989-1994 show in LA on the last tour, for one.
    Correct! Exactly one show - not multiple times.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Many probably won't agree, but I like to count the time I saw them in Brooklyn last year play Branches / Bones in place of Pinion followed by the rest of Broken.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Many probably won't agree, but I like to count the time I saw them in Brooklyn last year play Branches / Bones in place of Pinion followed by the rest of Broken.
    Branches/Bones is such a sick opener, with all the screaming and mayhem.

My favorite Pinions were the versions where it would slow waaaaay down, just letting the anticipation sizzle...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Pretty much every show in 2008 had the first six songs on The Slip sprinkled throughout.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    just a quick little tidbit, from the broken album, HiS took a hiatus after 1995 and not returning back into the lineup until 2018 according to nintourhistory.com (http://nintourhistory.com/song.php?songid=149)
    last was first performed 02-10-2007 at the coliseum (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=621) for the first time ever.

wish/gave up have always been regular show stapes

pinion / the new flesh/pinion / pinion the eater of dreams have also been staples or sprinkled into the shows in one fashion or another.
    physical also took a break after 1995 and came back in 2009 but was omitted during the hesitation marks tour.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Intro or not (the only time not was in LITS), pinion has never actually been *played* live.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I can't really see Trent doing a tour like this. Maybe a show or 2. That whole concept has been cooked up by sleazy promoters like Live Nation in order to try & sell some tickets based on faux nostalgia. They offered (maybe it was different promoter like AEG) Neil Young millions to do a shed tour featuring "Harvest". Neil's reply was everyone who played on that album is dead except for him. This ploy has been effective with some things like the Eagles Hotel California but it looks like the Black Crowes "Hard" tour is stiffing hugely at least at this point. I think Trent would prefer to live in the present & future rather than wallow in the past. That being said, I would love to see him do "Fragile" but not at the expense of new material. Trent & Atticus are churning out new music at an unreal rate & most of it is excellent. A tour with mainly the instrumental work (soundtracks & Ghosts) would be very interesting. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis just did some shows in Australia with their movie music. I think I would travel to see Trent do something like that.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    IMO that counts as Broken all the way through, since it was all in order and included the "bonus track" songs. So what if we didn't get a pre-recorded song that plays regularly at many shows? It WAS Broken all the way through.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I can't really see Trent doing a tour like this. Maybe a show or 2. That whole concept has been cooked up by sleazy promoters like Live Nation in order to try & sell some tickets based on faux nostalgia. They offered (maybe it was different promoter like AEG) Neil Young millions to do a shed tour featuring "Harvest". Neil's reply was everyone who played on that album is dead except for him. This ploy has been effective with some things like the Eagles Hotel California but it looks like the Black Crowes "Hard" tour is stiffing hugely at least at this point. I think Trent would prefer to live in the present & future rather than wallow in the past.
    I would have agreed with you a few years ago, but this is becoming really common now. A Perfect Circle, Massive Attack, Alanis Morissette, Filter, The Cure, Rancid, Metallica, Primus, Green Day, The Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer... tons of bands we grew up with have either played albums in their entirety or at the very least have done anniversary tours centered around an album. That's to say nothing of older bands like Floyd, Bowie, The Who, and plenty of prog bands who did this before it was a trend. What NIN has in common with those older bands is that a NIN album tends to feel like a complete journey rather than just a series of songs. The Downward Spiral and The Fragile are the biggest examples of this, and one of those has been played live. The Fragile is almost twice as long as TDS, though, so it's not as easy for them to just learn a couple extra songs and pull it out as a one-off, which means the only way it would really make sense is for them to actually plan it as a tour. I know it can feel a little kitschy when some bands do that, but I have no doubt NIN could do it in a way that didn't feel overly marketed and nostalgia-centric.

I also don't think they would have to do this at the cost of new material. In a year when no new NIN is planned, the gang could easily get together for a few weeks of rehearsal and a 6ish week long tour, leaving a good 8 or so months left in the year to do score work and anything else they're working on. For me, that kind of thing is preferable to something like the decade or so when Tool kept going on tour without anything new or interesting to offer.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post

1. Pinion
    2. Wish
    3. Last

Haha, yeah... same thing happened at the Meltdown festival in London, UK in June 2018. They started their set with:
    1. Somewhat Damaged
    2. TDTWWA
    3. The Frail
    4. The Wretched

We honestly thought we were finally gonna get "The Fragile" live. Damn.
    Now THAT'S a cock-tease right there if there's ever been one, haha.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    They've done the first 4 songs off The Fragile a few times.

I think any of the albums I would want to see is Year Zero. I just was so immersed in that whole ARG and that album holds dear to me. They've pretty much played every song except "My Violent Heart," which is one of the top songs I would want to hear live.

They can be done. It's more of just "would they do it?"

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Haha, yeah... same thing happened at the Meltdown festival in London, UK in June 2018. They started their set with:
    1. Somewhat Damaged
    2. TDTWWA
    3. The Frail
    4. The Wretched

My first Cure show in 2016 (Las Vegas) they started with the first 3 songs from Disintegration. I almost had a heart attack!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Imagine the sense of raw power that must envelop superstar musicians. Connecting people through art, recognition, success, money, fame, adoration of fans, jet-setting... On top of that, you can drive people absolutely nuts just by your selection of songs for a particular set list. And THEN...you can fuck with people by teasing the first few songs a classic album in order. And EVEN THEN, every once in a blue moon (or on an entire tour), you can ice the cake by delivering the whole enchilada. And the aforementioned fans will still spend the next umpteen years debating the whole thing, and you can do it again. And again...

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    1. Somewhat Damaged
    2. TDTWWA
    3. The Frail
    4. The Wretched

Yeah, first night at Red Rocks was the same first 4, and this was right after they did Broken all the way through, so it was much more of a possibility. Though I knew in my heart it wouldn't happen, I was hopeful. But, I mean, mind blown come encore time that night... not going to complain about the tease.