Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poppy

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Poppy

Considering there's a Billie Eilish thread I thought that some people might dig Poppy but I didn't see a thread on her. I only heard about her a few days ago and I'm not quite sure what to make of her.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not sure how I came across her the other day, and I'm surprised there's actually a thread here about it. It's weird; she goes from electro-pop to heavy guitar-driven pop (BabyMetal is the best comparison I can think of). I like it, and I'm not sure why. It's like metal Lady Gaga, I guess.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I Disagree is a great album. I own the clear with red/black splatter variant on vinyl.

Am I A Girl? also has some good songs.

She's here this week in Charlotte but I'm not going haha.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I love Poppy. Seeing her next Monday and I’m super excited. I’m also really excited to see what she does next now that her and Titanic Sinclair aren’t working together anymore

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Wait, so I've seen the name pop up a lot more frequently. Is this the same like...tween online YouTube girl from like 4 years ago?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Wait, so I've seen the name pop up a lot more frequently. Is this the same like...tween online YouTube girl from like 4 years ago?
    Yes. Things got weird.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Yes. Things got weird.
    All I remember was my friend taking his preteen daughter to her show here a few years back, said it was a nightmare to end all nightmares lol.

edit: ok watched some of those videos. Yikes.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Looking forward to walking around and getting a Deftones shirt while she does her set.

The music and persona are equally obnoxious to me.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Listened to her new album yesterday after the Deftones tour rumors surfaced. I honestly don't know how I feel about it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Everyone saying they're unsure about Poppy, give it time. I wasn't sure if I was into her music or not the first time I heard it, but now I am absolutely in love with all of it. Once your brain can comprehend that merging of all the different genre's, it's such a fun fucking album.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i am fucking OUT on this. Getting set times in advance for the Deftones tour this summer will be crucial. Congrats on her mgmt team lobbying hard enough/greasing enough palms to get her that slot though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Took me a few days to get through it a bit more, and that's how I feel too. If she takes this more towards noise-rock, I'll be hooked deeper. Latter songs on "I Disagree" remind me of Sleigh Bells, and they're awesome.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I tried given her album a few spins after there was a big Kerang article on her (she was even on the cover) and...i just don't get it. And that's so weird because i ADORE Baby Metal, this sounds so alike...but not nearly as catchy or fun? I don't know if that's a fair criticism or not. Anyway i tried, i gave up...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I don't like everything she's done, but her song "Time is Up" is flawless. I think she is actually really smart and her body of work is much deeper than many people are giving her credit for. She seems to be a performance artist and I think her performance is still unfolding.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I tried given her album a few spins after there was a big Kerang article on her (she was even on the cover) and...i just don't get it. And that's so weird because i ADORE Baby Metal, this sounds so alike...but not nearly as catchy or fun? I don't know if that's a fair criticism or not. Anyway i tried, i gave up...
    It's because it's a marketing shtick geared towards a younger crowd.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    It's because it's a marketing shtick geared towards a younger crowd.
    It used to be. Her career trajectory was more or less planned and operated by Titanic Sinclaire, an abusive shit bag "producer" who Poppy was contractually obligated to. Their working relationship is now over, so she is about to start doing things her own way and has been in the process of dropping the android performance.

And despite the fact that their working relationship is over now, Titanic Sinclaire still produced and directed all of the music videos for the new album, as well as writing and producing the album as well. But the "marketing shtick" is actively on it's way out of the door now.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Love Finn's videos and this one obviously fits here.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Everyone saying they're unsure about Poppy, give it time. I wasn't sure if I was into her music or not the first time I heard it, but now I am absolutely in love with all of it. Once your brain can comprehend that merging of all the different genre's, it's such a fun fucking album.
    100% agree with ya, Richard. Her new album is honestly one of my favorite albums of the year so far. It's a fun fucking listen and honestly from front to back, one of my the most solid albums so far in 2020. Immensely cinematic ending towards the end that I wasn't expecting.

Missing out on her show in February is disappointing me more and more now.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Bumping this thread just to say that Flux and Her tracks off the new album are fire!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    Bumping this thread just to say that Flux and Her tracks off the new album are fire!
    I'm holding off listening to these until we have the full album for context, but glad to hear the enthusiastic take! I figured that the EAT ep couldn't possibly live up to I Disagree, but I was happy to be so, so wrong.

Fingers tightly crossed that the bar is raised again (and that the tour doesn't get postponed)...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Really excited to hear how the new album sounds. Especially since the output seems to be more straight forward this time and does far less genre-jumping, which I didn't mind, but it's nice to see Poppy not pigeonholing herself. I think the lack of Titanic Sinclair in her orbit is having a really positive effect on her music and it's showing.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Really excited to hear how the new album sounds. Especially since the output seems to be more straight forward this time and does far less genre-jumping, which I didn't mind, but it's nice to see Poppy not pigeonholing herself. I think the lack of Titanic Sinclair in her orbit is having a really positive effect on her music and it's showing.
    I agree. Although I Disagree is fantastic and I would personally not mind another album in that space (i.e. Metal), this new output seems to be centered around more straightforward rock/alt output. But as you mentioned, she typically doesn't pigeonhole herself to any one musical genre and I fully expect different flavors of sound...either way, a win for the fans!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I noticed our boy Justin Meldal-Johnsen has been producing her latest material which is pretty fucking cool.

Count me in as a fan of the I Disagree album, solid work right there and the new stuff has been great.

Loved her t.A.T.u. cover!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

One of my favourites. And the unofficial anthem of this damn pandemic lol

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I grabbed tickets to her October show in Phoenix. Looking forward to seeing her perform live.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    New Kerrang Interview: Poppy: State Of Flux — Kerrang!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Lately I've been listening to more of her deep cuts and this one sounds industrial as hell

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If anyone else is considering catching the current tour, I'd recommend it if you have the opportunity. I made it to the NYC gig at Webster Hall last night. The band sounded great and the setlist was largely in line with my hopes. The awesomeness of Hysteria and the various EAT tracks almost made up for the absence of the latter's title track, which I love.

Poppy herself was...as expected? Candidly her performance style isn't my favorite; the somewhat robotic, reserved stage presence feels like an outdated holdover from earlier areas. I admit I have a personal preference for greater emotional investment onstage, but it will be interesting to see if she ever evolves in this direction - especially given the increasingly personal subject matter in her recorded output.

Fingers crossed more new material will surface soon!

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    See, this is how I know the A.I. algorithms don't know shit about me at all.

I'd listened to Poppy's collab with HEALTH like 20,000 times since it dropped but never really knew anything of hers. Finally, X was in my recommendations one day and then I did a deep dive on her discography.

Better late than never. I mean she started out as a satirical Pop star and then went metal and hardcore and is now doing some new cool shit? Oh, and somewhere in the mix is also the best 90s pop/rock record I've heard since...the 90s? WTF?

I'm in. If she starts a cult I'm the first one joining that mother fucker. This shit goes hard. Shout out to Kittie.

Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 11-15-2023 at 08:26 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    If she starts a cult I'm the first one joining that mother fucker.
    She technically did kinda have one for a bit. Her fanclub was called The Church of Poppy and was definitely made to resemble that of an active cult.