Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

The Mandalorian

Figured I'd start off the thread.

After watching Episode 2, I can honestly say now that these episodes just aren't long enough... I have spoken.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I hope nick nolte just says that in real life from now on.

Also, yea this show is great and episodes should be an hour.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I won’t repeat all my theories that I posted in the Disney+ thread so will just echo the same. 30+ minutes including credits is way too short, I feel that as soon as Spoiler: Dyn got the egg for the Jawas, whoops! Episode over!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Yeah i don't understand the decisions concerning episode length beyond just budgetary reasons (although it's Disney, they should be good for it) or i guess they're just doing whatever the story demands. I was certainly expecting 50+ minute episodes since they wouldn't have been beholden to the cable format with commercials. Why wouldn't they take advantage of the service they have?

Enjoyed what I've seen so far, weird score work though... it's very jarring for Star Wars.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Just found out that cuz I have an unlimited plan thru Verizon, I get a free year of Disney+! Now I don't have to be torn between piracy and giving Disney my money.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    LOVING the spaghetti western score. Adds a nice throwback element that no one was expecting.

Don't care about the episode lengths. Get in and get out. Probably a function of the limitations of characterization for the main character. At least for now considering he's only interacted with one character in any real way. Or maybe the episodes will be longer later once there is more to do for our guy.

Episode #2 was basically an extremely long way of showing that The Child is powerful with the Force. That's it.

Not liking how kiddie the show is starting to be, with The Child (super cute though) & the campy portrayal of the Jawas. Made them ALL very short too, unlike the taller, more dangerous ones we saw attack Luke & Obi Won.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 11-16-2019 at 01:52 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I have spoken.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post

Not liking how kiddie the show is starting to be, with The Child (super cute though) & the campy portrayal of the Jawas. Made them ALL very short too, unlike the taller, more dangerous ones we saw attack Luke & Obi Won.
    I think you may be confusing the Jawas with Tusken Raiders/Sand people?

Jawas are naturally very short.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I hope the tone of the series doesn't get too lighthearted/childish. There are bits and pieces there and personally I don't want that for what might have been the Boba Fett movie. It's a weird mix honestly. For one part you have spiked Stormtrooper Helmets and shady people from the galaxie's underworld, then you have those very light moments. The balance is a bit off imho.

But that doesn't take away the joy I have watching this. One thing that I do have major gripes with is the run time. Only 30 minutes for the second episode? Really?! This really angers me and makes me feel the production of this was very much rushed or even think that they didn't have enough material to justify a proper 8-part series with 60 (heck, 45 would be okay...) minute episodes. Leaves a sure taste in my mouth for something that I truly want to enjoy and actually like apart from these nitpicks.

Said it before, but I absolutely adore the Mandalorian's design. Something about it really triggers my excitement. It's the slickest and most perfect design for me since Darth Maul in this series and will probably only be met by the Knights of Ren if we indeed get to see them in Rise of Skywalker.
    Last edited by dlb; 11-16-2019 at 05:48 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my wife and i were basically just going "eeeee" during the entire second episode. yoda baby is literally the cutest thing i've ever seen in my life.

i don't find the tone unbalanced at all, and i love the score work. i will echo the frustration with episode length but i think that just means it's really good and i want more!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i'm about to take a look at the second episode.

but yeah, the first one was just very, very Star Wars. And in a way, it reminded me of the OT more than some of the last few movies. The IG-88 was fucking awesome, too.

I have spoken.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The tone didn't seem too off for me when the lighter aspects of the episode would come in, but I do understand the possible indifference some peeps have with that.

What was driving me insane was his careless demeanor with baby Yoda thing. He's attacked, then continues to leave him alone over and over again. Sometimes the lore of a Mandalorian doesn't add up to the stupid decisions our main character seems to make sometimes.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i'm about to take a look at the second episode.

but yeah, the first one was just very, very Star Wars. And in a way, it reminded me of the OT more than some of the last few movies. The IG-88 was fucking awesome, too.

I have spoken.
    :: puts on pedantic nerd glasses ::
    actually that was an IG-11 unit
    :: removes glasses, bows head in shame ::

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    show is so great

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    :: puts on pedantic nerd glasses ::
    actually that was an IG-11 unit
    :: removes glasses, bows head in shame ::
    the subtitles even call him...it...an IG-11.

It's a dumb thing to be annoyed by but that doesn't appear to be Pedro Pascal on screen.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I think you may be confusing the Jawas with Tusken Raiders/Sand people?

Jawas are naturally very short.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Re-watched episode 1 and 2 and yeah, it's balanced better now on my second viewing than it came across on my initial viewing. Maybe I was expecting something way more darker from the trailers. But still, things could be a tad grittier for my taste, yet Star Wars can always be very childish and very grim in a matter of seconds.

If the episode lengths remain that short I'm wondering if some avid fans might do a fan-edit. I have the feeling that this could turn out better than any Boba Fett movie we could have hoped for.
    Last edited by dlb; 11-18-2019 at 02:18 AM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I am thoroughly enjoying this and all, but it kind of bothers me that they shot this so cleanly. I expected a grimier look, I guess.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Only watched ep 1, but it's fun. I've tried numerous series recently, but none of them could hook me in. Tjis one was funny, action packed, but most importantly, down to earth, albeit cheesy. I really liked small touches like an overused movie trope ("hacking" in the midst of suppressing fire) failing, or our main and super cool hero being humanized in the very first episode, instead of being unbeatable in every aspect of life.

The practical stuff were great, the CGI was on the weak side however. Those monsters they mounted looked reaaaallly crude animation wise. I can echo the disappointment over the short length, but I loved the score.

I hope they improve on the writing part, because some conversations were really bad, and there weren't too many to begin with. Like the one with that alien who helped our hero. How fucking dumb our guy is, that he can't put two and two together?? The alien fella told him that since these mercenaries arrived, life quality went down on his planet. THEN HE ASKS HIM WHY HE WANTS HIM TO GET RID OF THEM!! I guess I rather have our guy being a buffoon sometimes, than figure out everything, everytime, but man, did he came across like a dork in that one.

I hoped there'd be blood or at least some mild swearing, but I guess I shouldn't push Disney's buttons, and just be glad that they paid for something refreshing in the SW universe.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Oh man, those Jawas in the second episode were fucking great.

This show REALLY reminds me of a lot of what made me fall in love with this franchise when i was a little kid.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This show is great on it's own but the implication that Yoda is powerful and old because of his race instead of through hard work and training is the same midochlorians bullshit we were all complaining about 20 years ago

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Guess we will find out soon what the fuzz is about with baby Yoda.

On a lighter note: I find it funny that they managed to create something this cute out of a character that still kind of makes me easy and actually freaks me out when looking at it for longer. The original Yoda design on it's own really messes with me.

Also, is that a different race of Jawas? They have quite red eyes and grey-ish robes. Is that some EU stuff or am I colorblind? But it's been fun to see them on screen again and I forgot how much I like the sandcrawler idea and design.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I have Not Spoken (as i haven't had a chance to find a torrent yet) BUT I WANT TO SEE!

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Okay, I take it back that she short episodes are annoying. They are laughable. Episode 2 is like 25 minutes long, and that is just inexcuseable for a flagship series. Imagine buying Disney+, and getting your eyes poked out by this. Great show, but in this day and age where streaming competition is so fierce, it is really hard to justify spending money on this, instead of getting it in... other ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    This show is great on it's own but the implication that Yoda is powerful and old because of his race instead of through hard work and training is the same midochlorians bullshit we were all complaining about 20 years ago
    Why is it a problem that some races have a different relationship with the Force? I think it's fine, especially since Yoda's race supposed to be extremely rare and mysterious. Also, at least it gives some interesting characteristics to said race, instead of just introducing random new aliens for toys sake, without giving them any interestiong specialties. Unless we count taking a nasty shit a race-defining trait.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Yeah, 25 minutes really is a slap in the face. Hopefully they take notice for the second season. Other than budgetary reasons, I can't understand that decision... or maybe this really was meant to be a movie (Boba Fett or not...) and was just rewritten for the show.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a slap in the face because...well, come on.

There's going to be 8 episodes (and they're already filming season 2). Granted each one may not have the massive budget of a SW movie, but it's pretty close. Admittedly, while watching the first episodes...the sets, costuming, cast, etc. is pretty much on par with a feature film, and if you take 8 episodes at roughly 25-30 minutes, that's about 4 hours of content. So take the budget of a SW film and double it.

Something tells me while they were sure it'd at least perform decently, they weren't quite ready to dump half a billion dollars in to it right out of the gate.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I'd be okay with it, if they would have advertised it like 30 minute episodes. But with a 25-28 minute episode following an already short 35 minute episode I was rather baffled. On the other hand it's a compliment to the showmakers. I want more from this and waiting for a week has become a lesson in patience in times of binge watching.

Hope we get to see more of Werner Herzog and the remains of the Empire next week.
    Last edited by dlb; 11-18-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I don't mind a short length as long as they are allowed to make each episode as long as they need to be. Since it is streaming, they are not limited to a 30 or 60 minute timeslot, so if last weeks episode only filled out 25 minutes, but next week's needs to be 45 minutes, fine by me.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    one of my podcasts pointed out that the show is basically mirroring the structure of the Lone Wolf & Cub manga. I hadn't thought about that, and so far it appears to be at least partially accurate.