Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Add me to the list of people who were reminded of the end of Kill Bill Vol. 1 during that battle at the end of the episode.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I think the show in general just draws from a lot of the same inspiration as Kill Bill and it's maybe more obvious with the Japanese architecture.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Man that was so much fun. This season is amazing thus far.

One thing I enjoy is that they have not fallen back on the cliche of having the hero, who is supposed to be powerful/the best/a badass, consistently get his ass kicked to try & prop up the bad guy & make them appear dangerous. Yes Mando has gotten pushed around a bit, but overall they focus on showing how he is the shit, instead of just telling us he is but then he conveniently eats shit to the villain of the week so we buy that they're a real threat. This is common trope used in comics, especially with Superman.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 12-10-2020 at 10:41 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Filoni should have been a politician. He would take over the world with non answers and double speak of this quality

From the VF article (which was also my guess)

AB: That quest, we learn, is a search for the villain Grand Admiral Thrawn. The last time fans saw Ahsoka was this spring's finale of The Clone Wars, but in the actual Star Wars chronology, the last time we saw her was at the end of Rebels, venturing off with Sabine Wren to find Ezra Bridger, who vanished along with Thrawn. Where does that scene fit in with where we find her in The Mandalorian?

Filoni: Right. But no, it's an interesting one… That's not necessarily chronological. I think the thing that people will most not understand is they want to go in a linear fashion, but as I learned as a kid, nothing in Star Wars really works in a linear fashion. You do [Episodes] Four, Five and Six and then One, Two, and Three. So in the vein of that history, when you look at the epilogue of Rebels you don't really know how much time has passed. So, it's possible that the story I'm telling in The Mandalorian actually takes place prior to that. Possible. I'm saying it's possible...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    If they indeed bring Ezra into the show and start putting the Mandalorians in the backseat I'll definitely loose interest in this show. :/

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    that would be weird considering the name of the show.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    that would be weird considering the name of the show.
    I agree. If anything they'll spin off. Based on my extremely limited knowledge of Ahsoka, I could get into a Rosario Dawson led spinoff. Not at all interested in the rumored Cara Dune series.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Yeah, there's already speculation online that this was essentially a back-door pilot for a spin-off series starring Ahsoka. I don't know much about her aside from the fact that she was in Clone Wars (and Rebels too, I think?), which I have never seen. I always assumed that the animated shows were a more watered down/tame, kid-friendly version of Star Wars and they mostly connect to the prequels, which also doesn't help to make me interested. I have heard good things about the Clone Wars show, though, so maybe I was wrong. If I get bored enough this winter, maybe I'll check it out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I always assumed that the animated shows were a more watered down/tame, kid-friendly version of Star Wars and they mostly connect to the prequels, which also doesn't help to make me interested. I have heard good things about the Clone Wars show, though, so maybe I was wrong. If I get bored enough this winter, maybe I'll check it out.
    Season 4, Episodes 7-10 made me realise that it's not watered down or kid friendly. In fact, those episodes were darker than a lot of the films.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Season 4, Episodes 7-10 made me realise that it's not watered down or kid friendly. In fact, those episodes were darker than a lot of the films.
    Oh man yeah the Umbara arc? that was some Oliver Stone's Platoon level Star Wars.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I started the Clone Wars series this week. Each ep is 22 minutes so it's easy to plow through quite a few. I do find myself getting bored with some of the storylines and some of the secondary characters, particularly the villains, are a little wonky. The doctor comes to mind, reminds me of a villain you'd see in The Incredibles. Overall, I like it so far. Could do without Jar Jar though.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    This freaking show man, why did it take so long for us to have something so good!?

Remember when GL was trying to get a live action TV series off the ground for the longest time? Underworld or whatever?

I guess it was for the best waiting for technology to be good enough and that it took the cashflow of Disney so we could have something like this.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Twitter trending topics, fucking hell.

It's an actual spoiler for people who don't watch the episode first thing in the morning. Or, you know, those who want to watch it with their family in the evening before/after/during dinner?

Spoiler:
    Star Wars · Trending
    Boba Fett
    Fans react to the latest episode of The Mandalorian, Chapter 14

I do agree that this tech is probably going to revolutionize production. Turnaround is probably fairly quick and they use the Unreal engine which a lot of people have a lot of experience with so it's not even like you have to find a production house, you could to to Ubi Montreal or EA Vancouver (though if memory serves both of those use proprietary tech like Unity and Frostbite respectively so jerkoff.gif lol) but the point stands you could use a games company that has the experience with the tech instead of a Hollywood effects studio. Hell, Tim Miller's Blur Studio probably could use the work.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I have to agree with the

edit: JFC that's a huge emoji, I just copied the one from the tweet! why would the app need an emoji at that resolution?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Wow, what an episode! How did so much happen in mere 30 minutes? This is shaping up nicely and I LOVE the new allegiance that was founded.

For me it was a little all over the place at times though, but I could definitely sense some of Robert Rodriguez' direction, especially the fighting. And holy shit, that was nice!

But, am I the only one who felt like the production value and CGI was a little bit lower this time? Thython looked pretty bland to me and so did Gideon's ship or at least the interior shots. Not much detail and a little bit less gritty, but more prequel-trilogy-like and cartoony.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Well that happened

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Wow, what an episode! How did so much happen in mere 30 minutes? This is shaping up nicely and I LOVE the new allegiance that was founded.

For me it was a little all over the place at times though, but I could definitely sense some of Robert Rodriguez' direction, especially the fighting. And holy shit, that was nice!

But, am I the only one who felt like the production value and CGI was a little bit lower this time? Thython looked pretty bland to me and so did Gideon's ship or at least the interior shots. Not much detail and a little bit less gritty, but more prequel-trilogy-like and cartoony.
    I also thought the CGI on Gideon's ship and those troop carriers looked off, almost unfinished to me, but whatever this episode is just pure nerdy glorious magic! Hell of a season so far.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I don't know if that's Rodriguez "zombie-movie"-charm, but it took away from the cool things that happened this week. Loved some of those old western-references as well, yet some of it was a bit Indiana Jones like cringey...

Wasn't expecting much from this episode but it paved the way nicely for the remaining ones. Guess we are in for quite a ride now, but also a major cliffhanger until season 3.

I do have some other gripes that I want to wrap my mind around in a few days in order not to spoil something for those who haven't seen or digested it right now.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    This is all theoretical stuff, but I'm putting it behind spoiler tags anyway just in case.

Spoiler: There's a theory that's been floating around that all the shit Grogu is being exposed to is leading him down the path to the dark side. Mando needlessly killing people in brutal ways in front of him, and stuff like that. The end of this episode seems like they could be headed down that path. He force choked a stormtrooper and was throwing them around in anger. Not saying he'll end up on the dark side in the end, but it sure looks like they're going to tempt him.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Holy shit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    edit: JFC that's a huge emoji, I just copied the one from the tweet! why would the app need an emoji at that resolution?
    It's an SVG file (Scalable Vector Graphics), so it can scale to any size, and in this case, it scales to the width of the window.

Back on topic; yesterday's episode was among the best in the series! And I've said that three times this season already – this season rocks!! I am really looking forward to the next two episodes.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

I love this show, but this is still funny.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Ladies and gentlemen: Spoiler: Boba Motherfucking Fett..

That is all.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Terrible rumor right now is that the Mandalorian himself is force sensitive and will teach Baby Yoda / Grogu under the assistance of Ahsoka and whomeber answers the call in last Friday's episode... I. don't. like. that.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Terrible rumor right now is that the Mandalorian himself is force sensitive and will teach Baby Yoda / Grogu under the assistance of Ahsoka and whomeber answers the call in last Friday's episode... I. don't. like. that.
    I don't mind if maybe he ends up learning how to use a lightsaber but yeah i agree that they should keep him as divorced from Force powers as possible.

What do you guys think about our Mando possibly inheriting the Slave I from Boba? It would seem shitty to kill off Boba so soon after getting him back but they could always make him go out in a far better way than he had presumably went in ROTJ.

Does Mando just have a new ship constructed and call it the Razor Crest again, a new model like they do in Star Trek after the Enterprise is destroyed? What if his new ship ends up being Dash Rendar's Outrider? (I thought that could be a cool use of that ship in canon beyond it's earlier cameo in the OT Special Editions)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    hopefully that is just a rumor, because WOW that is stupid.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    What do you guys think about our Mando possibly inheriting the Slave I from Boba? It would seem shitty to kill off Boba so soon after getting him back but they could always make him go out in a far better way than he had presumably went in ROTJ.

Does Mando just have a new ship constructed and call it the Razor Crest again, a new model like they do in Star Trek after the Enterprise is destroyed? What if his new ship ends up being Dash Rendar's Outrider? (I thought that could be a cool use of that ship in canon beyond it's earlier cameo in the OT Special Editions)
    I think they're using Slave I for the foreseeable future, until they rescue Grogu. After that, who knows. Building seems like a lengthy process so acquiring is probably more plausible. He could buy something but I would assume nearly every possession of value (that wasn't Beskar) was destroyed so unless he sells / barters his armor...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I don't mind if maybe he ends up learning how to use a lightsaber but yeah i agree that they should keep him as divorced from Force powers as possible.

that would be cool, even have Dash show up older/wiser and have scene like when they find the Falcon where it's off-screen and they just fly away in it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Wouldn't mind Mando wielding the Darksaber at some point or somehow "rescuing" Mandalore or whatever Bo Kataan is up to these days (haven't seen Rebels and TCW, just outlines...), but I sure hope he doesn't end up being a Jedi. It's nice to play in that universe and uncover some secrets, but I wouldn't mind having the Jedi stay out of this particular story as far as possible.

Concerning Boba.. I really hope they don't kill him off and at least have him around for a few more episodes, eventually departing peacefully, maybe even leaving the Slave I to Mando and well, find his way in the galaxy as a simple man...