Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Harry Potter

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Harry Potter

Over the past few years I got into Harry Potter and collected all 7 movies on DVD. I have also gotten the books and intend to read them eventually in chronological order, but I know I'm going to take my sweet time since I don't read often, which is why I tried checking out the movies first. I actually didn't think I'd get into Harry Potter in the 2000s, and it wasn't until 2016 that Harry Potter gradually interested me to the point of becoming an actual fan.

It was actually The Goblet of Fire that got me started, and then The Philosopher's Stone, and then skipped around seeing The Chamber of Secrets and then The Order of the Phoenix. For whatever reason though, I'd say my least favorite films were probably the Prisoner of Azkaban and The Half-Blood Prince, and as far as action alone, enjoy The Deathly Hallow 1 and 2 the most. If I were to rank them, this would be my list so far.

The Goblet of Fire
    The Philosopher's Stone
    The Chamber of Secrets
    The Order of the Phoenix
    The Deathly Hallows 2
    The Deathly Hallows 1
    The Prisoner of Azkaban
    The Half-Blood Prince

And this being a Nine Inch Nails board, yes. I still kept thinking of the Severus Snape and Trent Reznor thing yet again. It was in inevitable, and even more so knowing that Snape is a Slytherin (Reptile!).

And with the length the movies are, I tend to have taken breaks from them, but when the urge hits me, I still enjoy them. They also seem to do good for me as far as holiday favorites depending on my mood. And with movies, my limit is usually near 2 hours, but not beyond 2 hours.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @Halo Infinity that's hilarious because prisoner of azkaban and half-blood prince are my two favorite movies in the series

my favorite book is order of the phoneix, which seems to be a lot of people's least favorite. idunno. i really related to CAPS LOCK HARRY getting pissed off at everyone for not listening to him when they really should have been, because there was some real shit going on that he was tuned into, and he just wanted to figure it out, get help, and be a part of the solution. plus, ron being so protective of him is such a shining example of ron's loyalty and love for the people about whom he cares. and S.P.E.W. and dobby in book 5 are just so silly and fun (while also being a nice bit of commentary on class structure).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe
    Azkaban and Half-Blood Prince are also both my girl and I's favorite movies as well

My favorite book is Goblet Of Fire. I wish the Harry Potter movies were longer.

My friend was a big Harry Potter fan and I remember she made me watch Sorcerer's Stone and I hated it lol. I fell asleep. I didn't see Chambers Of Secrets. But I decided to go see Prisoner Of Azkaban with my friends and ended up really loving it. That lead me to read the book... yes, I started on the third book. I then went and read the first and second book, read the third book again, and then continued on from there. The Goblet Of Fire movie was probably my biggest personal disappointment as I really loved the book. It's not a terrible movie, but it just didn't capture the epicness of the book. They also cut so much out from Order Of The Phoenix, which I felt hurt the movie and story. I can't believe they cut the hospital scene and Neville's story and bringing back a certain character from Chamber Of Secrets. There's so much in these books, loads cut from the films, that part of me wishes they used the same cast, but it was a series instead of movies. They really glossed over Dumbledore's history in the Deathly Hallows films, but it seems the Fantastic Beasts series will tackle that now.

@Halo Infinity

Movies in order:

The Half-Blood Prince
    The Prisoner Of Azkaban
    The Deathly Hallows Part 1
    The Deathly Hallows Part 2
    The Order Of The Phoenix (pisses me off they cut Neville's backstory and the hospital scene)
    The Goblet Of Fire
    The Sorcerer's Stone (cuz I'm American )
    The Chamber Of Secrets

Books in order:

The Goblet Of Fire
    The Order Of The Phoenix
    The Half-Blood Prince
    The Prisoner Of Azkaban
    The Deathly Hallows
    The Chamber Of Secrets
    The Sorcerer's Stone
    Last edited by neorev; 11-11-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @neorev your movie ranking is exactly the same as mine. also super pissed about the omission of that subplot and the hospital scene from order of the phoenix, as well as cutting their time in the ministry of magic so short (that was one of my favorite parts of the book, exploring all the different areas).

my book ranking is very slightly different, though:

order of the phoenix
    half-blood prince
    prisoner of azkaban
    deathly hallows
    goblet of fire
    chamber of secrets
    sorcerer's stone

oh, and the first "fantastic beasts" movie was fun, cute, and genuinely touching...but i really wish that Spoiler: they had just let colin farrel be grindelwald instead of bringing in johnny depp. and then the second movie was confusing as hell, not very good, and what they did with queenie's character really pissed me off and seemed completely disingenuous.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    @neorev your movie ranking is exactly the same as mine. also super pissed about the omission of that subplot and the hospital scene from order of the phoenix, as well as cutting their time in the ministry of magic so short (that was one of my favorite parts of the book, exploring all the different areas).

oh, and the first "fantastic beasts" movie was fun, cute, and genuinely touching...but i really wish that Spoiler: they had just let colin farrel be grindelwald instead of bringing in johnny depp. and then the second movie was confusing as hell, not very good, and what they did with queenie's character really pissed me off and seemed completely disingenuous.
    Yea, I agree that the stuff they cut from Order Of The Phoenix really hurt the movie.
    I also feel like Depp is the worst part of Fantastic Beasts. I know they delayed the third movie and it's only just begun to film. Probably cuz of the response to the second one. I quite enjoyed the first movie and also felt the second was a bit of a mess and a little too convoluted as a movie. Probably would've worked better in book form. I didn't mind the Queenie storyline as it's, to be honest, the one emotional moment I got out of the movie. Does it piss me off? Sure, but that's because I really enjoyed the character. At least it is something unique and I'm interested to see where it goes. I hold out hope something interesting can come out of it. We still go, what? 3 more movies to go in this series?