Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Poopy Diaper Vinyl Thread

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I wonder how much of the 'Watchmen' score was going to be on the 'Bird Box' extended release.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

HBO's Watchmen series

Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    When you own an album physically, it's something tangible you actually own in meat space, while a file just sort of floats in a virtual one.
    Ha!

Psychologically, files on a computer feel throwaway. One can download 100 albums and feel no connection to them because there is no connection; it's just words and images on a flat screen rather than a printed object.

This whole conversation has come up every time a new TRAR/NIN release happens now, ever since TR's VINYL MISSION STATEMENT bullshit. It fucking sucks. Trent, you can do better for your fanbase than this.
    I respectfully disagree. While I do prefer to own physical copies in one form or another myself (I’m with you there), it is absolutely still possible to have a connection with music in a digital state. I enjoy this connection on a daily basis. Music transcends the format though which it’s experienced. Do you still buy every TV show and movie you watch in physical formats? Because if you stream those, then are you not making a connection with those as well? When you see a film in the theater or hear a song on the radio, is there no connection there?? Man, they announce a monstrous 3-volume score and this thread is 75% bitching. No wonder he doesn’t come here anymore.

As for Watchmen, I'm out. Will not buy. This goes for any future release from the band until they sort this mess.
    I don’t think anything is changing anytime in the near future, so I guess you’re done with them altogether. They’re not going to notice your pointless boycott, though, sorry. I hope you change your mind and at least listen to the digital release because it seems clear to me that there won’t be any more CD releases unless it’s a major full-length NIN release.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 10-22-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, I am. CD is a much cheaper format monetarily. It wan't much more expensive than this when it was released.

In addition, CD quality is much better and the size is more convenient. Can't put a frisbee-sized record in my pocket. Vinyls often have bad presses, so it's a toss-up as to whether you're actually going to get something that sounds good. Deterioration is also an issue.

Only thing going for vinyl is large artwork. 'Warm' sound, my arse.

Edit: £90 is $115 US. Imagine paying over a hundred bucks for the regular edition of a new album! It's not even a deluxe package...
    I agree with that. Here in France, The Glowing Man by Swans is 28€ ($31) for three vinyls. And I remember buying Inni by Sigur Ros for almost the same and it was a three vinyls, two CD and one DVD !
    £90 is fucking expensive.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eluus View Post
    Here in France, The Glowing Man by Swans is 28€ ($31) for three vinyls.
    You do realize that three 140g LPs packaged together and released at the same time isn't the same as three separate 180g releases each requiring its own packaging, distribution?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    You do realize that three 140g LPs packaged together and released at the same time isn't the same as three separate 180g releases each requiring its own packaging, distribution?
    Maybe, MAYBE it was possible to create just one pack and not three separated LPs ?
    Sometimes I wonder if Trent just see us as piggy bank.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Maybe, MAYBE it was possible to create just one pack and not three separated LPs ?
    Or maybe, MAYBE every single fucking packaging / media / distribution scenario will have some segment of the fanbase bitching and moaning like petulant children about decision X and decision Y.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, it's a very adult way of debate. Go on, champ

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Yes, it's a very adult way of debate. Go on, champ
    Have you scrolled up thread?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Because HBO has nothing to say in this at all.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Sometimes I wonder if Trent just see us as piggy bank..
    honestly, i kind of like the staggered releases through Amazon. For one, i don't get hit with one large payment. Secondly, I don't know how bundling into one large pack or 3 separate packs makes a difference to the total cost of the product. I don't think you were going to get 3 LPs for $49.99.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I have every NIN score and have never watched any of the movies or tv shows they are for (outside of Social Network and Gone Girl which I watched because I wanted to see the movie, not because of the score) I could give a shit about Watchmen or Bird Box or Patriots Day or mid90s or Vietnam as movies/tv shows/documentaries etc. I consider each score basically an instrumental NIN album and 100% separate them from whatever film/tv show they are a part of.

And to the dude talking about how disc rot is a problem on CDs...I have owned over 5,000 CDs since 1989....I have never had one rot.....I have never had one CDR go bad...My Beastie Boys 'License To Ill' CD which I bought on Halloween 1989 as an 8 year old still plays perfect to this day. You treat your CDs right and they will treat you right

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I’ve definitely got rot on CR-rs but I’ve never seen it in silver CDs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i would just like to say:

it is extremely likely that trent reznor will never release another CD again. you can either get over it now or spend the next decade complaining, but that's not gonna change anything.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimthiscity View Post
    i would just like to say:

it is extremely likely that trent reznor will never release another CD again. you can either get over it now or spend the next decade complaining, but that's not gonna change anything.
    I disagree. The trilogy was released on CD. This is much more niche.

I see the sax has made another appearance on the end credits, very nice!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Man, people will gripe about whatever Trent does. As an artist, I say charge what you want and release how you want and let people take it or leave it. This isn’t the golden days of music, where everyone is getting millions for nothing. Notice how there aren’t any big-budget music videos anymore. There is a reason. Physical media and merch and tours and soundtracks are how you pay the bills and even that’s tough. I am HAPPY to pay money to keep my favorite artists focusing on their art instead of how they are going to pay the bills. Happy. Recently I was begging Saul Williams to release his new album on vinyl so I could fork over some cash to him and see him able to create more. I love what we get for the money we pay to great artists. Art is such a key part of my life and i would rather these guys get my money than Jeff Bezos or Zuckerberg or Trump or whatever other greedy a-hole is vacuuming up all the wealth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No download code? Did I just spend $50 on something I’ll have no means of listening to?

Hooray for the return of vinyl!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    No download code? Did I just spend $50 on something I’ll have no means of listening to?

There was no download code included the only way to listen is on vinyl I'm hoping Trent will add the option to download at some point this may have been an oversight.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There's quite a few bands now taking the same approach Trent did years ago, where they're wanting fans to buy direct from their official store and its often the only way to get signed LPs and the like. But a common downside with this seems to be they all seem utterly unable to get new releases to you for the day of release. I know, its a first world problem, but surely they can see there's a reason why people buy stuff from places like Amazon and it isn't just because of price.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I dare say an official announcement / release / streaming option is a day or so away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreamingSlave View Post
    There was no download code included the only way to listen is on vinyl I'm hoping Trent will add the option to download at some point this may have been an oversight.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I’m sure there will be an option to download FLAC/wav/mp3 files from NIN.com as well as iTunes and Amazon or wherever you like to buy your digital music. And of course, streaming.

I’m happy to support the artist, but having to do so twice just to get something to listen to is very disappointing. Unless the person who already received the record just got a bad copy.

If we’ve gone to vinyl as the preferred format, but with no digital files are included, that seems like a step backwards.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Lolol you could, you know, listen to the record?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Lolol you could, you know, listen to the record?
    Don’t have a turntable, and no real plans to buy one at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Why on earth would you spend $50 on records you had no intentions of listening to, and then complain when you didn't get a download code insert, when you could just spend $10 on a digital download, get exactly what you want immediately, and not be stuck with a 12x12 piece of cardboard/wax that is absolutely useless to you?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Why on earth would you spend $50 on records you had no intentions of listening to, and then complain when you didn't get a download code insert, when you could just spend $10 on a digital download, get exactly what you want immediately, and not be stuck with a 12x12 piece of cardboard/wax that is absolutely useless to you?
    i did the same thing assuming there’d be a download code, ya know, like every other vinyl release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    i did the same thing assuming there’d be a download code, ya know, like every other vinyl release.
    Same

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Probably because it's the only means by which to get it on physical media. Charging premium prices for an album is ludicrous if there's not even a link to some mp3s included. A digital version is expected nowadays.

Very glad I didn't buy this.

Now, where's the CD? Otherwise, I'll have to listen to this on my "fucking phone", Trent. On my "fucking phone".

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Now, where's the CD? Otherwise, I'll have to listen to this on my "fucking phone", Trent. On my "fucking phone".
    But I thought that you were boycotting it?

Jokes aside, if you want to get more out of file-based audio, get yourself a Raspberry Pi (or equivalent) and a DAC board (around £30), and hook it up to whatever your CD player is hooked up to. It'll sound a lot better than your phone (and probably your CD player).

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Kinda glad i didn't plump for the records now if they don't come with downloads (they still looks pretty though) ROLL ON DIGITAL DOWNLOAD DAY!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

that’s pretty funny

time to make plans now right ?

Don’t worry, either listen to your vinyl or wait like the rest of the people

"DIGITAL AND WIDER IN-STORE VINYL RELEASE FOR EACH VOLUME WILL BE AVAILABLE SHORTLY AFTER THE ABOVE DATES."

Last edited by StockAvuryah; 11-04-2019 at 04:42 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    "SHORTLY AFTER"

Is that "soon?"