Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This Friday - soon enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    that’s pretty funny

time to make plans now right ?

Don’t worry, either listen to your vinyl or wait like the rest of the people

"DIGITAL AND WIDER IN-STORE VINYL RELEASE FOR EACH VOLUME WILL BE AVAILABLE SHORTLY AFTER THE ABOVE DATES."

Could have done that after plunking down money on Deviations/the Definitive Editions. But, nope. Didn’t really matter since those came with download codes which I foolishly thought were the norm these days.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Probably because it's the only means by which to get it on physical media.
    Exactly. Through the Target deal i got these for $17 each. I'd be paying at least $9-11 for the digitals when they finally arrive so for a few more bucks, for me, it makes sense to get the vinyl with the digital download to have the thing and the digital to listen. 1. I'd paid for the digital anyway 2. I have the vinyl if / when I get a record player (which is somewhat likely) 3. avoid an out-of-print situation down the road 4. support the artist and a non-conventional way to present material.

Now, that whole plan is shot down with the lack of digital code but I guess with the concept that Spoiler: this is released in the Watchmen universe it does make sense and I have to begrudgingly appreciate their attention to detail.

And say there had been a cd...that would have sat on my shelf just the same because, like the vinyl (currently), I have no fucking way to play the thing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The issue I have with this release so far is more about the ambiguity and less about the cost. Like others on here I understand the whole vinyl "thing." However, as an adult, listening to music on vinyl is just extremely inconvenient. I have ordered all the releases on vinyl and might listen to them, but it is really unlikely. I typically look through the vinyl artwork and listen to the digital version on my phone (I have kids, a job that requires travel, etc.). I am never going to pack up turntables and records to bring on a 10 hour flight, in the car or listen in a hotel which is where most of my listening is done these days.

After the episode last night I was pretty disappointed actually. I was expecting some sort of big reveal that would have made all this secrecy behind the music make more sense. Instead it was just another episode... I have no idea why the artwork and track listing was made unavailable or why the digital release date is different and not announced (actual date).

Oh well, not the end of the world, just sort of a weird release that seems kind of like double dipping (being in-universe seems like a stretch and if so, they could have said specifically that the download was a separate purchase)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    And while we're on the subject, who agreed to start releasing new music on a Friday! Its Monday. Its always been Monday.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Here in the US it was typically Tuesday. The industry switched to Friday across all markets for consistency in an attempt to combat piracy. <eyeroll>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Here in the US it was typically Tuesday. The industry switched to Friday across all markets for consistency in an attempt to combat piracy. <eyeroll>
    I almost mentioned that as I remember about 20 years ago going to NY and being all excited about going to Tower Records on the Monday morning to buy a shedload of stuff and discovering I'd have to come back the next day!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascender View Post
    And while we're on the subject, who agreed to start releasing new music on a Friday! Its Monday. Its always been Monday.
    It actually used to be Tuesday until 2015, and it's been Friday ever since.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbishop View Post
    Well this card that came with the early version certainly makes it sound like there are limited and “regular” versions. Given that Amazon hasn’t been coming through 100% on preorders, not sure what to make of this...

https://twitter.com/scottwamplerbmd/...325791232?s=21
    He also notes he received a press copy and another user said this note wasn't enclosed in the Amazon-shipped relsease. I guess we have to wait to see what we get from Target?
    Last edited by cdm; 11-04-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep. Hoping that it’s the non-vinyl/streaming editions that are the regular ones, and retail vinyl is the same packaging.
    Last edited by bcbishop; 11-04-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbishop View Post
    Yep. Hoping that it’s the non-vinyl/streaming editions that are the regular ones, and retail vinyl is the same packaging.
    This makes sense. Digital with actual tracklisting and Watchman themed artwork.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I am actually a bit upset i am probably going to have to double dip to get my digital copy hoping Trent and Atticus should and I hope will remedy this with the upcoming Vinyl releases it should be a no brainier that a download card is included at a cost of over 20$ for each vinyl especially for those that pre-ordered the date it launched.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Right, so as someone who's been using this board for the last two years, I am sick and tired of every release thread from TR + AR being polluted with the same complaints on repeat about the vinyl initiative that they've been on so, here's your thread for everytime someone wants to derail the Watchmen thread, the Deviations thread, the upcoming reissue threads for With Teeth, Year Zero and The Slip, the potential other releases, etc.

I'm sick of it. When each of you post in a release thread with these same gripes, you derail the actual conversation and make it no better than the NIN facebook page. Enjoy your thread, keep your gripes out of the other threads, thanks, bye.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I just want to say that I LOVE the name of this thread. That is all.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Maybe a little more mature name for this thread please? I think this is a valid concern, as someone who doesn't buy much vinyl, I don't even both with the score releases anymore. iMO this vinyl initiative has done more harm than good.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Show of hands: how many people who are complaining about vinyl releases actually listen to their CDs on a regular basis outside of their cars? I guarantee the majority of you listen to digital files for the most part, and if that's the case, what's wrong with buying the digital version?

I like physical media, by the way, and I still buy CDs if something isn't available to purchase in high quality online, but the fact that they've made better than CD quality downloads available makes buying CD versions pointless.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Show of hands: how many people who are complaining about vinyl releases actually listen to their CDs on a regular basis outside of their cars? I guarantee the majority of you listen to digital files for the most part, and if that's the case, what's wrong with buying the digital version?

I like physical media, by the way, and I still buy CDs if something isn't available to purchase in high quality online, but the fact that they've made better than CD quality downloads available makes buying CD versions pointless.
    I've been trying to buy less CDs actually. I usually end up ripping them the moment I get them and...well, that seems redundant with the proliferation of digital. I buy vinyl for the artwork and the ritual (for lack of a better term) and digital for the convenience. I think I'd be fine if CDs went away.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I also get surprised to hear people say they want CDs because they listen in their cars. For one, burning a CD takes like two minutes, so if all you have is a CD player in your car, why not just burn anything you want to listen to that isn't on CD? Especially if you buy CDs regularly, then it should only be a small number of releases you'd have to do this with.

Beyond that, though, how many people these days have a car without an auxiliary input? Putting mp3's on an iPod or smartphone or just using a streaming app (for those who have an account) are all super easy solutions.

I also like physical media and enjoy collecting it, but I just think it's weird that with so many ways to consume music these days, people get so annoyed that one specific medium is dying out and not supported 100% of the time.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Maybe a little more mature name for this thread please? I think this is a valid concern, as someone who doesn't buy much vinyl, I don't even both with the score releases anymore. iMO this vinyl initiative has done more harm than good.
    This was a valid concern in 2017 when it appeared the album reissues were just getting vinyl releases before it was confirmed we were getting digital files with them, both ahead of shipment and on a download card with shipment. The trilogy was released digitally and on CD as well.

The score releases aren't applicable to this complaint because Before The Flood was digital, Patriots Day was digital, Vietnam War was digital, the Halloween cover was digital, Juno hasn't even been released on vinyl and neither has Mid-90s or Bird Box even though Bird Box has had a physical release teased. So, Watchmen is the first one to be vinyl-only AT FIRST and even then, likely at the most, folks will be waiting until after the season concludes and HBO pushes the digital album on every platform. Right now, to enjoy the soundtrack, you have to have a record player. At the most, you have to wait roughly six weeks to hear this legitimately.

But every single time, there's constant whining about the vinyl thing and it derails every thread, so here's the thread because I've put up with two years of this shit. I want these threads to involve every other aspect around the music and other things, not about how we're all bitching about vinyl.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I think this is a valid concern, as someone who doesn't buy much vinyl, I don't even both with the score releases anymore. iMO this vinyl initiative has done more harm than good.
    So don't buy it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    iMO this vinyl initiative has done more harm than good.
    You're stating your opinion but about something that has actual numbers attached. If artists were making significantly less money by only releasing on vinyl/digital, then they wouldn't do it that way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I boxed-up my large CD collection years ago and just ripped everything in to a convenient format which I can listen-to on any device I want, anywhere. I know there's a trade-off in audio quality, but convenience far outweighs that factor for me. I do recognise just how good stuff can sound when listened-to on very nice kit, but the various speakers and headphones I have sound more than OK to me.

I did start buying vinyl a few years ago though, but only for some artists like NIN and Trent. Some new releases from my favourite artists, I'll buy on vinyl now and I have started buying some historic stuff, but its a slippery slope!

Do I sit down and listen to vinyl every day? Nope. Sometimes a week will go by when I've not listened to vinyl, but I'll have music on for the majority of the day wherever I am.

I must have 10,000 or so CDs in the loft, but I can't remember the last time I bought one. For that format, I much prefer using streaming services or my own digital files. And say what you will about Trent's "mission statement", but it really chimed with me and I really do like sitting down, putting headphones on and listening to an album on vinyl.

I've no doubt vinyl is making some money for artists - its probably a good margin but not big quantity. The upside to the fans is that you'll often be able to buy signed copies direct from them, often nice limited editions too - which are just nice things to own - getting back to the collectible side of things.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Well, it's out on digital.

Can we have a thread where I can bitch about it not being out on cassette?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Now I guess we can moan about lack of lossless options or not being able to buy it on nin.com digitally.

Edit: so I jumped back into the main thread thinking it’ll be all music appreciation after @ltrandazzo went on a clean up rampage but no it’s all complaining about shipping delays, cost and packaging damage. Why can’t we have nice things!
    Last edited by jmtd; 11-07-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Edit: so I jumped back into the main thread thinking it’ll be all music appreciation after @ltrandazzo went on a clean up rampage but no it’s all complaining about shipping delays, cost and packaging damage. Why can’t we have nice things!
    there’s plenty of music appreciation in there. Feel free to chime in.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Yes, all the time, and I don't own a car.

The issue I have with digital releases is that it feels so throwaway. There's no hard copy to make backups from, then there's the worry of the digital service shutting down, or my memory getting worse and passwords forgotten, hard drive crashes, etc. I still have CDs from the '80s that have almost no wear on them and play perfectly.

I will never pay for a digital copy of an album. If you want me to pay for an mp3, give me a physical object that sounds just as good if not better along with it.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)

I like physical media (I love my dvds and blu rays too), by the way, and I still buy CDs if something isn't available to purchase in high quality online, but the fact that they've made better than CD quality downloads available makes buying CD versions pointless.
    I’ve got no problem buying the digital version; in fact, I did. I like physical media. I have every available NIN release on CD. I’m not going to go over why I don’t like vinyl but this thread title sucks. Must be rad to get what you want on your outdated format because TR happens to like it. Congrats? The high horse act is what doesn’t really make sense from you guys. TR released the trilogy on CD and it obviously sold so there’s zero reason not to put out Deviations and Watchmen on CD. Also, Tool has proved CDs will move. It just doesn’t make sense but okay, we’re babies (but you’d all be doing the exact same thing if the shoe was on the other foot).
    Last edited by Swykk; 11-08-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    If you want me to pay for an mp3, give me a physical object that sounds just as good if not better along with it.
    What about the hi-res WAV files that have been made available with previous releases?

Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Must be rad to get what you want on your outdated format because TR happens to like it.
    It's not just because he likes it. It's because vinyl sells more than CDs now, and unless you've got some big names on there, film soundtracks and scores don't sell incredibly well either.

TR released the trilogy on CD and it obviously sold so there’s zero reason not to put out Deviations and Watchmen on CD.
    Judging from all the trilogy CDs I've seen still sitting around in record stores, I would say it hasn't sold THAT well. Hell, every time I see them and am tempted to buy them, I hold off because I have the hi-res files at home.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 11-08-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I think its super duper rad that vinyl is making a huge comeback. I also fully agree with Trent releasing music on vinyl and not CD anymore. Why release it on a superior audio format like CD when you can listen to the cool clean *CLICK* *CLICK* *POP* *CLICK* of vinyl...It illuminates the listening experience man..Like when you feel the vinyl in your hands and caress the sleeve and just sit back and let your record player do the work. *CLICK* *CLICK* *POP*....So much better than a crystal clear sounding CD.....Its just so stupid to release your art on a superior format when you can release it on an outdated format that was rendered obsolete by 1983. I think movie studios should follow Trent's lead. Why release movies on blu ray or 4KHD anymore when you can release them on VHS and Betamax instead?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I think its super duper rad that vinyl is making a huge comeback. I also fully agree with Trent releasing music on vinyl and not CD anymore. Why release it on a superior audio format like CD when you can listen to the cool clean *CLICK* *CLICK* *POP* *CLICK* of vinyl...It illuminates the listening experience man..Like when you feel the vinyl in your hands and caress the sleeve and just sit back and let your record player do the work. *CLICK* *CLICK* *POP*....So much better than a crystal clear sounding CD.....Its just so stupid to release your art on a superior format when you can release it on an outdated format that was rendered obsolete by 1983. I think movie studios should follow Trent's lead. Why release movies on blu ray or 4KHD anymore when you can release them on VHS and Betamax instead?
    If you guys don't want it to be called the "Poopy Diaper Vinyl Thread", don't make posts like this.

Also, I'm not a vinyl fanatic, but even I know that most records don't sound like that.