Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Most humble/laid back musicians

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Most humble/laid back musicians

Which artists would you say are the most approachable or humble?

Going off personal experience having met both, I feel like I could happily be stranded on a desert island with Gary Numan and Stephen Morris from JD/New Order and actually stay sane and happy, they’re simply that lovely as people.

Who would you say? It doesn’t really matter whether you’ve met them or are going by interviews or footage you’ve seen.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 09-22-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Lee ranaldo, page hamilton.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Maynard

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Mac Demarco. Met him this past Thursday and he was super cool. All the stories I've read from other people meeting him say the same.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    John 5 is an absolute sweetheart and so friendly to fans. I got to meet him during the GOAG days of Manson and was so impressed by his graciousness.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I've only met one big time musician, but Alan Sparkhawk from Low was very gracious and kind when I met him, even though he was in the middle of packing up equipment after the band performed. I debated even going up to him because of that, but I knew if I didn't, I would regret it. I tried not to take too long since I know what a pain in the ass it is to break down everything after a show, but he didn't seem annoyed about chatting with me, and he chuckled when I brought up a group of videos I had posted featuring slowed down versions of some of their songs that he had retweeted a couple years earlier. No rock star ego, just a guy doing his job and happy to talk about it for a few minutes.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 09-22-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    John 5 is an absolute sweetheart and so friendly to fans. I got to meet him during the GOAG days of Manson and was so impressed by his graciousness.
    Oh yeah, he, Rob Z and the rest of his current band are all awesome in person.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Never met him but heard nothing but good stories about Alice Cooper.

And Glen Danzig and Marilyn Manson. Heh. (j/k about those two)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    recorded an hour long interview/small performance special for my old radio station with Stevie Wonder, and as such spent an entire morning with him. As you might expect, he is one of the sweetest, friendliest guys you'll ever meet. So gracious. Bringing him his breakfast & him eating it while shooting the shit in my studio with me and the host before we got started is one of the fondest memories of my life.

Kinda treading the same water as above was George Benson. Guy has the biggest smile you'll ever see. Al Jarreau too. And that guy loved to joke around and had the biggest, most boisterous laugh you'll ever hear. R.I.P.

Interviewed Scott Ian of Anthrax/S.O.D. in college radio. Was booked for 15 minutes, spent over an hour on the air with us. Really chill guy, friendly and likes to joke around. Loved talking music on the air. Probably the highlight of college for me haha.

Justin Timberlake was really nice a few years back. Came up to my station and took pictures with EVERYONE that wanted one. He's alot taller than you might expect btw.

Fat Joe has been so friendly with so many of my co-workers at Hot 97/WBLS for so many years that it's like just having another one of the guys around when he comes up.

I've met everyone in Wu-Tang Clan except ODB & Ghostface I believe & they've all been friendly. More than willing to talk with you for a second if time allows. Method Man, Rza & Deck especially. Deep dove on Staten Island shit with Rza for a while...that was fun & kinda surreal.

Ed Roland of Collective Soul is really down to earth. Just a regular guy that likes to talk about music he loves and did not like any praise that was heaped his way.

Jack White was...the opposite of all this. Lots of stipulations when he came up for an interview in 2008. He wasn't a maniac or anything, but def. a pain in the ass. Doubt any of you are surprised by this.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 09-22-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    Maynard
    You're joking, right? Maynard "I loathe celebrity culture and think it's really fucking stupid that people want to meet 'famous' people and you should all be more concerned with doing something with your lives than what other people are doing" James Keenan - approachable?

He's great to work with, but he's got exceptionally high standards and people like that typically aren't the most randomly approachable.

Speaking from experience, Sir Paul McCartney is one of the most unbelievably approachable and humble people I've ever met. Treats everyone around him with the utmost respect; will introduce himself without you even approaching him, and personally thanks the people who do the "thankless" work to make his shows happen. Class act through and through.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Richard from Rammstein was very nice and humble on both occasions that I have met him in Berlin. Gave me a lighter as well.

Emma Ruth Rundle's also been one of the most kind artists I ever had the pleasure to interview. Really sweet and also unexpectedly funny.

Ben Chisholm (Chelsea Wolfe's secret weapon) has also been one of the most friendly people I met after a concert. I actually didn't talk to him but he came over and asked how I liked the show and about the venue we were in. Very chill dude.

Had the pleasure to hang out with Black Rebel Motorcycle Club during their latest tour in Europe and then a two offshoot days. Also very nice people although a little hard to get to at first. Not your typical rockstars at all, but especially Peter is great fun to hang out with. Very chill dude. I could sit hours on a couch and watch him fix his guitars.

Aaron B Turner of Isis and all so many bands has been really kind as well, thanking me for my work and being interested in his stuff "after all this time".

And I have to say that pretty much every single person that I have met out of the desert rock scene has been a blast to share time with, from Chris Goss to Brant Bjork, John Garcia, Alain Johannes, Scott Reeder... only people I had problems with where indeed EODM and parts of QOTSA. Funny eh? As they are the most successful and youngest out of that batch of people.

Worst interview with an artist that I truly like? Mark Lanegan. He was actually friendly and kind to me outside of the situation but that interview didn't go too well. His tour manager told me that this was easily one of the finest interviews in a long time. If that's the case... phew. Lanegan is amazing though for signing pretty much everyone's stuff each and every night, shaking hands and taking pictures. So I'm not too mad about that shitty experience.

In the end pretty much every band out of the stoner, doom, post rock etc circle has been extremely easy to talk with. Although it's not my most favorit genre mix these days, I still take great pleasure in talking to these people, meeting up, cracking some cold ones. Makes my job super easy and joyful.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Robert Smith and Billy Howerdel both seem lovely too.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Maynard
    Morrissey

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Elliott Smith seemed pretty chill, I didn't hear much of horror stories from Kurt Cobain either.
    Maynard
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Morrissey
    Oasis

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    You're joking, right?
    yes. lol

but I'm sure he's got a TON of crazies to deal with too, so whatevers, doesn't matter to me. Just keep making good music MJK.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Justin Timberlake was really nice a few years back. Came up to my station and took pictures with EVERYONE that wanted one. He's alot taller than you might expect btw.
    Still is. Definitely one of the nicest people I've ever worked for.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    @theimage13 Cool story about Paul McCartney. I don't listen to his music but great to see that a legend like him is a humble person.

I met John Dyer Baizley from Baroness before a Perfect Monster art show, he was outside the art gallery where he was going to present, and I showed up early with my brother, and he was out there by himself, smoking. First (and I think only?) time I tell a musician how I met their band (Baroness was opening a show for Meshuggah). John then told me some stories about that tour with Meshuggah. Great guy.

Also, and surprised no one has mentioned him here, Justin Meldal-Johnsen. He gave me his signature during the Wave Goodbye fundraiser meet and greets, and he came across to me as the chillest dude, amazing guy

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Also, and surprised no one has mentioned him here, Justin Meldal-Johnsen. He gave me his signature during the Wave Goodbye fundraiser meet and greets, and he came across to me as the chillest dude, amazing guy
    Oh shit, how could I forget that one? I was working a festival years ago - shortly after JMJ's tenure with NIN - and struck up a conversation with a few people sitting at the same table in catering. Thought one of them looked a little familiar. Looked up later when Paramore was on stage and I was like "oh goddamnit..."

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @dlb i'll second both emma ruth rundle and aaron turner

brian cook is also really fun to interact with on social media

and i know he's not technically a "musician" but rob sheridan is a gem and i adore him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've met Idles a couple of times, and they've all been lovely every time. Even when they were still blowing up over here, you could still find the guitarists inside the local McDonalds, or the drummer at the merch stand. And they've always been super chill.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Met Alice Cooper at a hotel lobby, couldn't have been nicer or more down-to-earth.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Jim from Slipknot was one of the nicest guys I've ever met, this was after a show in 2000 and I see interviews with him these days and he still seems like the same dude.

And while not a musician, I met Mick Foley last year and he was one of the coolest people I've ever meet. I was nearly star struck so all I could think to tell him was how I thought the match he and taker had at Revenge of the Taker was underrated, and he said something to the effect of "oh yeah, I went through a table headfirst that night" and it's seriously like almost out of looney tunes he is waist deep into the thing lol

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Jim from Slipknot was one of the nicest guys I've ever met, this was after a show in 2000 and I see interviews with him these days and he still seems like the same dude.

And while not a musician, I met Mick Foley last year and he was one of the coolest people I've ever meet. I was nearly star struck so all I could think to tell him was how I thought the match he and taker had at Revenge of the Taker was underrated, and he said something to the effect of "oh yeah, I went through a table headfirst that night" and it's seriously like almost out of looney tunes he is waist deep into the thing lol
    You should see Peanut Butter Falcon.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Nergal Darksi of Behemoth - He immediately comes to mind for the extreme metal community. Very open minded, wise and willing to listen and debate respectfully if challenged. He tends to work relaxed on social media and seems like a very humble person who has a strong will after his leukemia dilemma a few years ago. For such an extreme anti-Christian band, he has a very charming and positive attitude for life and the people in it.

George Fisher of Cannibal Corpse - Never heard a bad word about him and seems friendly and down to earth in every single interview I’ve ever listened to. He clearly knows how lucky he is to be in such a popular band and doesn’t take it for granted.

I know there’s more.