Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: All Things Marijuana!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

All Things Marijuana!

I figured that since its slowly becoming legal in various states that we could possibly talk about the various strains, answer any questions people might have, show off pieces (pipes and whatnot), as well as the various news articles that pertain to the legalization of marijuana. Anything goes...except selling of-course.

-Here is a map of the states that have legalized the use of marijuana.
    -If you're looking to find local shops in your area, download the app called WeedMaps or go to their site here.
    -Worried about the new Vape scare? Read up here to make sure the cart you're using is legit.

Currently I am enjoying some Gorilla Glue #5, it's perfect for mellowing out and does well with my back pain. What strains have you guys been using?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Well, let's get it started right...

Stop calling it marijuana (a word, popularized to stigmatize migrant workers from Mexico during the great depression). It's cannabis indica (scientifically; c. indica). Sure, weed, pot, reefer, laughing lettuce are just fine... but mary jane and marijuana aren't.

But let's push it further it further. The way that sativa, indica and to a much less degree ruderalis are used are basically marketing terms stemming from being unable to share knowledge publicly and the vested interests involved. Or to put it another way, there's a good chance what one strain is called in one geography won't be the same in another (this is not the least of which dependant on seeds and then growing conditions).

This is changing... slowly. Some licensed producers in Canada have dropped that marketing entirely.

CBD vs. THC is another thing to tackle, if you don't know the percentages of what you're smoking, you really should find out (in Canada, all legal cannabis sold has to be tested for THC/CBD and various pest+herbicides). The next part is the terpene profile.

Terpenes are the characteristics of a particular strain (does it small lemon-y or earth-y or like rhubarb?) and tend to be consistent from strain to strain (so if, for example your favourite strain has certain non-potency-related traits, good chance that whenever you encounter them, it'll be genetically related regardless of what it's called), but in various strengths/weaknesses due to growing variables.

Personally, I'm about just consuming the dried flower and leave extracts out of the equation. That being said, edibles are a different thing but even that, I prefer dried flower as an ingredient.

So yeah, I smoke ~4g/day. I also take pictures of every strain I consume for comparison's sake.

I use a Celebration Pipe and hempwick to light it from a candle source (I don't need to inhale butane sparking a lighter for a bowl) and when I'm out of the house, a Da Vinci Acsent vaporizer...

What do I tend to smoke? Strains with high THC %'s. 20+ preferred but 22/23/24% seem to treat me better. The CBD % is almost negligible (at like, 0.04%).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I tend to favour hybrids; current strains I'm using:

- Staw Dawg 30% indica / 70% sativa
    - Tangerine Dream 30% indica / 70% sativa
    - Low Coast OG 80% indica / 20% sativa

I use these via a mains powered vapouriser - the Storz and Bickle 'Plenty' (link)

I also tend to blend whatever I'm using with a high CBD (~20%) hemp. The combination of high THC and high CBD is really, really nice - a combination of feeling very high but also completely compos mentis and on top of everything. It's also a touch more psychedelic.

The high CBD stuff is also very nice on its own (a world away from any CBD oils and extracts).

Once it's been through the vapouriser I keep what's left in a separate container and after a few sessions there's enough for a very pleasant edible dose.

I usually use the vapouriser just once a week - Saturday evenings in front of the stereo - I use it to decompress after a week of work and parenting.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Illinois: January 1, 2020.

Illinois became the 11th state to legalize cannabis and the first state in which a legislature approved commercial sales. Vermont lawmakers legalized possession, but not yet commercial sales. Approval in other states came via referendum.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Never touched it in any form - initially because I was just beaten over the head with "drugs are bad, mmmmkay" type stuff, but more so now because I still work for an employer who could fire my ass if I ever tested positive, and given that I *have* been injured on the job before, I know how quickly you can suddenly find yourself in a situation where they have cause to test.

But regardless of that, I don't have any real desire to get into the game until it's federally legalized and regulated. Basically for the reasons already outlined above in other posts - I want to know / be more confident about what's actually in the products I'm buying, and not just guessing at things. Hopefully that happens sooner than later, as I have yet to hear anyone provide a scientifically (or even morally) sound argument as to why alcohol should be legal but this shouldn't.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    My personal philosophy on cannabis usage is basically like this;

our bodies have and endocannibinoid system that affects our entire body,
    our bodies are therefor designed to interact with cannabis through inhalation and ingestion (with drinks and foodstuffs),
    as such, we should embrace as much of the whole plant for consumption rather than extracts (of THC or CBD)... and so I do. Sticks and stems get steeped in boiling water to make tea (or if I'm feeling luxurious, I'll steep a few buds... they blossom nicely) and the shredded/ground flower for inhaling.

I'm think sick kids who could benefit from cannabis therapies should be allowed to do so (movement/seizure disorders, chronic pain), include smoking (if it wasn't the fastest way to stop a seizure, I'd rethink it... of course, this does imply a certain amount of awareness while having an attack, not everyone is capable... and so other oral ingestion may be required).

I wasn't a consumer of cannabis prior to "getting sick".... but it's the only medicine that works.

All cannabis usage is "medical", our bodies don't care about the "why" we're consuming cannabis, it just appreciates that we're doing it.

This differs from alcohol in that our bodies don't have a inherent system to process it... which is why it leads to numbing and bodies shutting down.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 10-08-2019 at 12:08 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Illinois: Public weed consumption will be allowed only at dispensaries and smoke shops, not bars and restuarants.

This was passed yesterday. It's not a surprise, but I wonder if this has any bearing on opening a marijuana/hash bar. Also moved up collection of municipal sales tax from September to July.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Illinois: Public weed consumption will be allowed only at dispensaries and smoke shops, not bars and restuarants.

This was passed yesterday. It's not a surprise, but I wonder if this has any bearing on opening a marijuana/hash bar. Also moved up collection of municipal sales tax from September to July.
    I don't understand why everyone is pussyfooting around having venues for smoking weed. It's going to happen.

On a side note, the majority of my MJ consumption now is legitimately to help me handle anxiety attacks. I'm not as much into recreational use as I used to be, mainly cuz when I need it now I really need it. Nothing else works.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Nothing else works.
    Are you tracking which strain(s) work best for you? I ask because usually I opt for the highest THC strains available to manage pain issues buuuuut... every once and while I find a very dank strain that just keeps me nice n mellow, even with increased overall pain.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The House Judiciary passed the MORE act. A step in the right direction for federal cannabis reform.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Are you tracking which strain(s) work best for you? I ask because usually I opt for the highest THC strains available to manage pain issues buuuuut... every once and while I find a very dank strain that just keeps me nice n mellow, even with increased overall pain.
    The real magic cure for me is edibles. I can take a few sips of a Dixie or a Cannabis Quencher and I'm fine. If I'm really freaking out, I can eat a couple squares of a Kushy Punch Recover or TKO and just hang in there for an hour till it kicks in. Honestly, the best combo is a small sip of Quencher while I wait for the gummy. I can't imagine moving somewhere where I can't find something like that to help me out.

The best flower strain I've found is by a company called The Source and it's called Quest. That shit is amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It would be nice to know. I have the same issues with knee arthritis and fasciitis as well as anxiety attacks... I'm thinking to grow hemp or two for personal use since it's legal here now, and I guess I should acquire a small grow tent for this. I'm even more concerned about this after reading a few articles from this source. Or should I stick to certified products?
    Last edited by outofthisworld; 03-16-2020 at 03:34 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outofthisworld View Post
    Or should I stick to certified products?
    Really depends on how much effort you want to put in and time you want wait, growing your own cannabis (not hemp), I've heard, is pretty simple but drying takes time... and because it's a plant, you can't always guarantee you'll get the results you want.

Personally, due to my own limitations, I gotta stick with others products, but I would if I could (and the Canadian personal growing limits are pretty good).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    So, any recommendations from Illinois folk on good recreational dispensaries? I'm asking for a friend...

(looking for edibles and distillate cartridges, Western side of the state or Chicago area)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    So, any recommendations from Illinois folk on good recreational dispensaries? I'm asking for a friend...

(looking for edibles and distillate cartridges, Western side of the state or Chicago area)
    I just took a quick look on Weedmaps.com and it seems that area has a couple of places listed but I have no idea just how valid they are.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post

I see there's a nuMed on North Ave. We have one here in East Peoria, and it's the best dispensary in the area. Here's their menu:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zYW...na2gx5aee/view

That being said, Illinois is still about 2-3 years away from establishing a decent recreational marijuana industry. Illinois made $37M off of sales for January, because we completely dropped the ball. Flower shortages within the first week... cut to current day where there is no flower. The edibles are more-or-less gummies and mints; brownies, cookies, etc., were sold out within the first 2 weeks.

Also, something to be aware of with flower: a $70 1/8 with more than 30% THC ends up being about $122 after taxes. Um, yeah.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Does anyone have experience with Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS)? I’m concerned someone I know may have it. But I don’t know if I’m being overly concerned/jumping the gun because they do have some underlying conditions that I see could be the result of their symptoms (nausea/vomiting/stomach pain).

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Does anyone have experience with Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS)? I’m concerned someone I know may have it. But I don’t know if I’m being overly concerned/jumping the gun because they do have some underlying conditions that I see could be the result of their symptoms (nausea/vomiting/stomach pain).
    I don't and I have some scepticism with it. Mainly it's the what do they mean by "heavy usage"? I mean, I inhale ~4g per day (or just over 2oz. a month) and if that's not heavy usage, I'm not sure what is... but also, make sure whatever is consumed isn't tainted in some way.

But really, if there are concerns, just ask them to consider stopping for a while and see what happens. Like two weeks. Or consider consumption in another way (if vaping a concentrate, don't, switch to dry flower; or inhaling shatter, nah, just go back to dry flower... or consider eating edibles... but remember that not all edibles are equal as well and illicit market ones can be even more of a dosage problem).

But if the individual you're dealing with is, say, disabled with seizures (or has an otherwise untreatable condition to which cannabis usage is really the only meaningful medication), then maybe don't push it.

If the individual is otherwise healthy (no chronic illnesses or disabled or chronic pain(acquired or genetic) I not sure what to suggest other than stopping. If they have a usage disorder (only using cannabis to "escape", then maybe analyze what the escape is from and how to modify that in some beneficial way... you know, therapy).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I don't and I have some scepticism with it. Mainly it's the what do they mean by "heavy usage"? I mean, I inhale ~4g per day (or just over 2oz. a month) and if that's not heavy usage, I'm not sure what is... but also, make sure whatever is consumed isn't tainted in some way.

But really, if there are concerns, just ask them to consider stopping for a while and see what happens. Like two weeks. Or consider consumption in another way (if vaping a concentrate, don't, switch to dry flower; or inhaling shatter, nah, just go back to dry flower... or consider eating edibles... but remember that not all edibles are equal as well and illicit market ones can be even more of a dosage problem).

But if the individual you're dealing with is, say, disabled with seizures (or has an otherwise untreatable condition to which cannabis usage is really the only meaningful medication), then maybe don't push it.

If the individual is otherwise healthy (no chronic illnesses or disabled or chronic pain(acquired or genetic) I not sure what to suggest other than stopping. If they have a usage disorder (only using cannabis to "escape", then maybe analyze what the escape is from and how to modify that in some beneficial way... you know, therapy).
    They did go to an urgent care and were confirmed to have a UTI which I know can be associated with nausea and vomiting as well. The only odd thing is that I’ve been told they’re showering something like 4-5 times a day to help alleviate the pain, though they’re claiming it’s how they’ve always dealt with pain. This is the first I’ve ever seen of it. I first came across this syndrome when I googled compulsive showering because I just thought it was totally odd when I heard how often they were spending in the shower/tub as I’ve never come across anyone that’s done that before.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    They did go to an urgent care and was confirmed to have a UTI. The only odd thing is that I’ve been told they’re showering something like 4-5 times a day to help alleviate the pain, though they’re claiming it’s how they’ve always dealt with pain. This is the first I’ve ever seen of it. I first came across this syndrome when I googled compulsive showering because I just thought it was totally odd when I heard how often they were spending in the shower/tub as I’ve never come across anyone that’s done that before.
    I doubt the UTI is an issue with it (and cannabis isn't known for contra-interactions with other medications... more of an entourage effect).

So the question, I think, to ask is this... Why are they doing something that seemingly actively hurts them (and has apparently always hurt them)?

It could also be that they are allergic to cannabis (something that can be tested for) with an internal reaction rather than external one.

I mean, I know people with anxiety/stress disorders that manifest with symptoms you've also described.

Like, really, I know I wouldn't continue to consume a substance that apparently always causes me pain (as I did with opioids; I had a terrible reaction with a prescription that lead to itchiness and nightmares... sure I felt less pain sensation but everything else was terrible, so I can't take those).

But maybe ask how much they consume and which they consume and maybe variables can weeded out.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Well, they never had symptoms like this before. This last week is the first time these symptoms showed up. They usually smoke for any type of pain management. I smoke as well for the same but haven’t had any issues. I’m just concerned because from what I’ve read with CHS (not a lot), it could be pretty serious if it is the case.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Well, they never had symptoms like this before. This last week is the first time these symptoms showed up. They usually smoke for any type of pain management. I smoke as well for the same but haven’t had any issues. I’m just concerned because from what I’ve read with CHS (not a lot), it could be pretty serious if it is the case.
    I guess I'm confused now, earlier you wrote that "how they've always dealt with the pain" and to me that doesn't read as just starting last week. And again, if it's cannabis smoking that's doing this, just get them to stop for a while and see what happens. The only withdrawal will be psychological... (but yes, it will suck for pain management for a while).

Do you both smoke from the same supply? And again, how much are they smoking?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I guess I'm confused now, earlier you wrote that "how they've always dealt with the pain" and to me that doesn't read as just starting last week. And again, if it's cannabis smoking that's doing this, just get them to stop for a while and see what happens. The only withdrawal will be psychological... (but yes, it will suck for pain management for a while).

Do you both smoke from the same supply? And again, how much are they smoking?
    We buy from the same dispensary. What they’ve said they’ve always done is the hot showers for their pain which was what triggered my curiosity in the first place. Sorry, I should have clarified that.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    We buy from the same dispensary. What they’ve said they’ve always done is the hot showers for their pain which was what triggered my curiosity in the first place. Sorry, I should have clarified that.
    Okay, so for their pain management, they take hot showers and inhale cannabis (and you both buy from the same place but not don't smoke the same strain)?

And the difference is, in the past week, the amount of showers has increased?

Maybe if the I part of UTI also started last week that could be a indicator of increased overall pain and hence more time spent dealing with it (also an increase anxiety/stressors... which may mean media isolation or other lifestyle changes).

So here are some easy things to do then;
    1. smoke their strain and see if it affects you differently than normal
    2. they need to stop smoking and see what happens
    3. they could stop showering aside from cleanliness and just stick with cannabis and see what happens

The thing with CHS is that it seems to triggered by smoking "a lot" and if your friend isn't smoking "a lot", I suspect it isn't CHS...

But also, if they say they've always showered more than the average for pain management (which should pre-date cannabis usage), try to verify their story with someone else.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Okay, so for their pain management, they take hot showers and inhale cannabis (and you both buy from the same place but not don't smoke the same strain)?

And the difference is, in the past week, the amount of showers has increased?

Maybe if the I part of UTI also started last week that could be a indicator of increased overall pain and hence more time spent dealing with it (also an increase anxiety/stressors... which may mean media isolation or other lifestyle changes).

So here are some easy things to do then;
    1. smoke their strain and see if it affects you differently than normal
    2. they need to stop smoking and see what happens
    3. they could stop showering aside from cleanliness and just stick with cannabis and see what happens

The thing with CHS is that it seems to triggered by smoking "a lot" and if your friend isn't smoking "a lot", I suspect it isn't CHS...

But also, if they say they've always showered more than the average for pain management (which should pre-date cannabis usage), try to verify their story with someone else.
    That all sounds like a pretty good idea. Thanks, I really appreciate the insight.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The only withdrawal will be psychological...
    You seem extremely knowledgeable about weed, but there are physical withdrawals as well for people who have been smoking for decades. The primary ones are loss of appetite and insomnia.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You seem extremely knowledgeable about weed, but there are physical withdrawals as well for people who have been smoking for decades. The primary ones are loss of appetite and insomnia.
    All I can say is that I've done a lot of research and continue to do so... but I haven't seen those as withdrawal effects not also attributed to the psychological withdrawal (which applies because the only addiction to cannabis is, also, psychological...).