Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: All Things Marijuana!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    So........is there any science, and I mean proper studies, that address whether CBD is effective for...well, anything at all, really...without at least some quantity of THC? Never touched marijuana in any form before (I'm boring, okay?) but I'm growing more intrigued by the possibility of using some form of CBD as a sleep aid / anti-anxiety combo when I'm on tour. The problem though is if I were ever to get injured, a drug test would be mandatory. And I don't think my employer OR worker's comp would look too fondly on the presence of THC immediately after an accident. That, and in all honesty I just really don't give two shits about getting high. It's never interested me and it never will.

Everyone I talk to who claims to be an "expert" has varying claims as to whether or not things like oils or gummies or edibles are actually effective as just​ CBD, but I've yet to be able to find any solid research on it. Any leads I could check out?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Everyone I talk to who claims to be an "expert" has varying claims as to whether or not things like oils or gummies or edibles are actually effective as just​ CBD, but I've yet to be able to find any solid research on it. Any leads I could check out?
    It's complicated and I've never found any solid research that it's anything more than placebo-effect marketing (same thing for topical applications, mostly).

And while you can certainly have low THC strains and higher CBD strains, the wholesale removal of one or the other won't ever be as beneficial as the whole flower (and considering we still don't know a whole lot about structure of the flower, as in, there are still regular discoveries about the different types of THC and CBD within it).

So, let's get into your own usage... are you in a geography where you can get legal protection for medical uses? If not, and you're worried about employer testing, personally, I wouldn't risk it. Any current testing I know about looks for cannabinoids in general and not just THC or CBD, so there's no fooling it...

However, if you are able to get that type of protection, then why aren't you looking at a whole, dried flower solution to begin with? As you said, you've never touched cannabis before (and also please... please stop calling it marijuana, it's a loaded term and generally is considered racist once you know the history of it), and so you have no baseline experience from which to build up your own trustworthy data set.

You have to keep "set and setting" in mind as well, if you don't trust where you are who you're with, then the anti-anxiety side of things probably won't work the way you want them to.

My first experiment would be picking up legal (something with THC and CBD percentages listed on the package would be most preferred) whole dried flower (either milled or unmilled) and if you don't want to smoke it, make a simple tea out of it (just boiling water). Use the same amount of dried flower as in a typical tea and steep it in boiling water for 5 or so minutes, you can add sugar, honey or milk for taste... otherwise, it tastes like, you guessed it, grass (yes there are cannabis THC/CBD infused teas out there but our experiences over here tell us that's not worth the price). Do this at night, a half hour to an hour before you want to go to sleep (my partner has a cup of tea every second night for general health and quality sleep but when there are cyclical monthly issues to deal with, it's a cup of tea every night for that week or so of duration).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I second the recommendation of just getting the raw herb. If you're not interested in getting high, then look out for some high CBD hemp (hemp being any cannabis strain with 0.3% THC or less). I'd recommend using it via a herbal vaporizer, particularly if you're using it for anxiety, and so would benefit from simple, quick, and portable delivery system.

But also try out some hemp leaf tea before bed - add a bit of fat after its brewed (I like coconut) this will help you absorb the CBD. I've used oils as well, and they are effective, but not nearly as effective as the herb itself. You can blend it with other herbs - chamomile, lavender, etc - for the ultimate sleep inducing brew.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I actually wouldn't use hemp, mainly because of the laws surrounding what pesticides and herbicides can be used in the process. Hemp is typically legislated different from cannabis in that regard with a lot less stringency given to hemp. Always check your sources.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    So........is there any science, and I mean proper studies, that address whether CBD is effective for...well, anything at all, really...without at least some quantity of THC? Never touched marijuana in any form before (I'm boring, okay?) but I'm growing more intrigued by the possibility of using some form of CBD as a sleep aid / anti-anxiety combo when I'm on tour. The problem though is if I were ever to get injured, a drug test would be mandatory. And I don't think my employer OR worker's comp would look too fondly on the presence of THC immediately after an accident. That, and in all honesty I just really don't give two shits about getting high. It's never interested me and it never will.

There is no "proper" research into products containing only CBD. Big pharma will have to be involved in order for that to happen. Here's a recent findings abstract from a study published this year. The problems identified are not unique to sprays or the area of pain management:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31980957

By examining recent literature, we investigated the use of CBD and its potential role in pain management. Since there are currently no approved pharmaceutical products that contain CBD alone for the management of pain, this review focused on nabiximols (which is a combined product of THC/CBD in a 1:1 ratio) as the only pharmaceutical product available that contains CBD and is being used for the management of pain. It is difficult to definitely attribute the therapeutic properties to CBD alone since it is always administered with THC. Based on the available literature, it is difficult to make a recommendation for the use of CBD in chronic pain management. It is also important to note that there are many CBD products currently available as supplements, but these products are non-pharmaceuticals and lack the appropriate clinical studies to support their efficacy claims.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Never consumed cannabis; my employer even prohibited CBD usage. The justification for CBD prohibition by my employer was made by alleging that consumption of CBD products could potentially result urinalysis indicating the presence of THC-COOH. Iím subject to random drug testing as well, which is sad, because everything Iíve read indicates that CBD could be beneficial for my back pain. Iím not stating CBD will cause a positive screen for marijuana metabolites, but I do believe that many of the CBD products sold here in Texas arenít regulated with enough scrutiny and I donít want to lose my career over it.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AngrySniper View Post
    Never consumed cannabis; my employer even prohibited CBD usage. The justification for CBD prohibition by my employer was made by alleging that consumption of CBD products could potentially result urinalysis indicating the presence of THC-COOH. I’m subject to random drug testing as well, which is sad, because everything I’ve read indicates that CBD could be beneficial for my back pain. I’m not stating CBD will cause a positive screen for marijuana metabolites, but I do believe that many of the CBD products sold here in Texas aren’t regulated with enough scrutiny and I don’t want to lose my career over it.
    Have you thought about trying CBD cream for your back? My 65 year old father just started using it last year, had never smoked in his life, and swears by the cream. As long as the product is "pure" CBD and does not contain CBN, you'll be fine on drug tests. Any wellness store that sells CBD should be able to answer your small questions, and if they can't then find somewhere more informed.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Partook in recreational IL edibles for the first time today. It’s over double the price of CO, but far more potent. I just ordered Portillo’s for delivery and almost put in a tip for $300 because I forgot the decimal point.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I was sXe most of my life until about 20 or so, but I started smoking when around friends only about a little bit more than a decade.

Got my first piece only four years ago now at this point and since the Illinois dispensary opened up next to usóit's been such a great night cap to put on some records and just zone out for awhile.