Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rare/exclusive vinyl tracks

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    MOTP and Closer aren't different on the 2017 LP – there's silence between them. The Becoming acoustic guitar does fade out early though, but for some reason that also means IDNWT just doesn't have an intro on the LP at all (it opens like the track index on the CD). And Eraser has a proper ending, although I can't really tell if they just faded it out or if it truly doesn't have the Reptile intro at all.
    Nice. I'm going to have to check out all these vinyl side breaks and see what that does to the list. It'll take a while to go through all that, but I want my list to be complete.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    well this thread kinda blew up. the diffrences are intresting.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Okey dokey - I'll dig out my copy. I'll see if those HiS rips can be improved also.
    There are HIS rips at the link I posted (http://nindestruct.com/music.html) and they should be good.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Oh yes, of course there are no problems with those rips (in comparison to the TPD rip). But still it might be possible to get nicer copies, depending on how the vinyl replay chain here stacks up against the one that was used then. Of course, it may be that I can't improve on them, but no harm in trying.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    How come the Terrible Lie and Sin demos are only available as excerpts?
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    They are from the tape sold on ebay (by Martin Atkins?) which never went public after auction ended
    Fuck the person who bought this and then didn't share it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Genuine question - how do you guys find OUT about all these ultra rare tracks? How can you know that some weird one off release was distributed to Iceland or something?

Knowing this forum, if that existed, you'd know about it, but how? How does nincollector for example find out about these hundreds , maybe thousands of different releases /formats /remixes?!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Well, as a rule of thumb, the different mixes are usually titled in a distinct manner, the record companies take care of that. Compiling information is easy, that's what internet is all about.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    Genuine question - how do you guys find OUT about all these ultra rare tracks? How can you know that some weird one off release was distributed to Iceland or something?

Knowing this forum, if that existed, you'd know about it, but how? How does nincollector for example find out about these hundreds , maybe thousands of different releases /formats /remixes?!
    I mean, there's kind of a self-sorting process already in place to attract obsessive collectors when the artist institutes their own catalogue number (Halos). And yeah, the online fan community has been gathering this info together for over twenty-five years now. There used to be very active Usenet Newsgroups about NIN, long before web-based forums took their place (as a nerdy kid getting into this stuff, FAQ lists from those groups were a great way to figure it all out quickly, even before peer-to-peer file trading made it very easy to grab everything you didn't already have).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I mean, there's kind of a self-sorting process already in place to attract obsessive collectors when the artist institutes their own catalogue number (Halos). And yeah, the online fan community has been gathering this info together for over twenty-five years now. There used to be very active Usenet Newsgroups about NIN, long before web-based forums took their place (as a nerdy kid getting into this stuff, FAQ lists from those groups were a great way to figure it all out quickly, even before peer-to-peer file trading made it very easy to grab everything you didn't already have).
    OK, that makes sense.

Is there a possibility that there exists some weird release of HLAH in Uganda or something that no one has ever found?

Do record labels have catalogues and trails that can be followed for that, from artist to market?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    OK, that makes sense.

Is there a possibility that there exists some weird release of HLAH in Uganda or something that no one has ever found?

Do record labels have catalogues and trails that can be followed for that, from artist to market?
    Back when NIN was signed to a major label, they would put out a press release in each market when something new came out, so you could often spot those if you were a fan, by looking through music magazines or trade listings. Otherwise, just trawling the record stores. Nowadays, it's all different!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    so, who's gonna mention the super rare stuff, like the Top of the Hour track, or the demo version of In The Hall Of The Mountain King? or are we keeping this to just vinyl and cassette exclusives?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcpunk View Post
    so, who's gonna mention the super rare stuff, like the Top of the Hour track, or the demo version of In The Hall Of The Mountain King? or are we keeping this to just vinyl and cassette exclusives?
    The thread's title is 'Rare/exclusive vinyl tracks'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    that is true.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    There are HIS rips at the link I posted (http://nindestruct.com/music.html) and they should be good.
    I listened to these, and there's a lot of audible surface noise in these rips (clicks, pops, etc.) The MP3's from remix.nin.com are comparatively better, with less noise to begin with or cleaned up better.

Quote Originally Posted by pcpunk View Post
    the demo version of In The Hall Of The Mountain King?
    Although it's off-topic, I don't know about this. Details?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    I listened to these, and there's a lot of audible surface noise in these rips (clicks, pops, etc.) The MP3's from remix.nin.com are comparatively better, with less noise to begin with or cleaned up better.
    Oh, okay. Didn't realize.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Although it's off-topic, I don't know about this. Details?
    I did a line out capture years ago...

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I did a line out capture years ago...
    Oh, OK, so it's from the movie Blu-ray bonus features?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Yup, this is one that could use an upgrade too, if someone could pull the file straight from the disc.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Having just compared the two HIS 'Sherwood Slave' rips, the flacs seem better overall, even with the extra noise. But the PK Slavery Mix mp3 from remix.nin sounds very good - is it definitely sourced from vinyl?

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    But the PK Slavery Mix mp3 from remix.nin sounds very good - is it definitely sourced from vinyl?
    Can confirm.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Great - thanks! Will add that to the pile then...

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Disc 2, specifically. Should be Dolby Digital 2.0 / 48 kHz / 192 Kpbs (.ac3).

I don't currently have a license for BD cracking software, otherwise I'd do it. There are alternate methods out there, but I figured cracking the disc "yourself" would ensure lineage purity.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    To get ultra obscure and completist, there are also these extended mixes:

Heresy (Blind) (Extended) (Closer To God promo vinyl)
    Closer To God (Extended) (Closer To God promo vinyl)

As per: https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...920#post328920
    Well shit, this is news to me to too. Time to hunt this down and add it to my collection!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Fuck the person who bought this and then didn't share it.
    I would love to hear those demos released in some capacity....

I could be remembering things incorrectly, but I believe it was allegedly inferred that it was TR who put in and subsequently won the bid in for those tapes so it wouldn't be released.
    Again, I could be very wrong about this and I have no way to confirm it at all so take what I'm posting with a grain of salt.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quick question in case anyone knows: For the extended mixes of 'Heresy (Blind)' and 'Closer To God', do these only appear on the US edition of the Closer promo, or are they also the versions on the UK edition?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quick question in case anyone knows: For the extended mixes of 'Heresy (Blind)' and 'Closer To God', do these only appear on the US edition of the Closer promo, or are they also the versions on the UK edition?
    The versions on the UK edition are the same versions that are on the halo Closer To God. Not sure if that answers your question or not.

EDIT: Never mind, I see what you're asking. If the times on the packaging of the UK promo are accurate, then it's not any different than the non-promo version.
    Last edited by zecho; 10-14-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    I would love to hear those demos released in some capacity....

I could be remembering things incorrectly, but I believe it was allegedly inferred that it was TR who put in and subsequently won the bid in for those tapes so it wouldn't be released.
    Again, I could be very wrong about this and I have no way to confirm it at all so take what I'm posting with a grain of salt.
    Any idea where you got that idea? My admittedly fuzzy recollection was that the top bidder was somehow tied to Martin Atkins, and it ended up being a way to quietly end the auction amidst the uproar.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Wasn't Martin the one selling the tape though?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Any idea where you got that idea? My admittedly fuzzy recollection was that the top bidder was somehow tied to Martin Atkins, and it ended up being a way to quietly end the auction amidst the uproar.
    Actually if I remember correctly, heh it's been a while...
    I think somewhere on this forum or the old one, someone posted that they reached out to the seller directly to see even if they didn't win the auction that they could possibly to get a copy of the tracks or whomever won to share them. They said that someone else, alluding to Trent, but it could've have been someone from management, which, I don't know. It could've been Interscope, TVT, or whomever had publishing rights, that would allow the sale of the tape on the condition that those demos not be released to the general public because then Martin Atikins would be in legal trouble and then it went quiet.

Again this is all based on bad recollection of what happened along with little information as to what actually happened.
    Sorry for the confusion and any false hope I may have given anyone.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Yup, this is one that could use an upgrade too, if someone could pull the file straight from the disc.
    OK, here it is, ripped directly from the disc. It's 48 KHz stereo Dolby Digital @ 192 Kbps.

In the Hall of the Mountain King (First Draft):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0s1fyf...dio01.ac3/file