Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 61

Thread: Rare/exclusive vinyl tracks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Rare/exclusive vinyl tracks

    Hello there! This is my first post in about a decade, as I used to be on this forum back around 2007-2009 (glad to see this place is still going strong). Anywho, I was wondering if anyone would happen to know where to get a hold of the rare tracks/remixes released only on vinyl (e.g. Ladytron's "Captial G" remix, "Ripe", "The Perfect Drug (Aphrodite)", etc.)? The vinyls themselves are hard to come by and I was wondering if any can point me towards lossless (or near-lossless) rips exist of those tracks?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,986
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silent_echo View Post
    I was wondering if anyone would happen to know where to get a hold of the rare tracks/remixes released only on vinyl (e.g. Ladytron's "Captial G" remix, "Ripe", "The Perfect Drug (Aphrodite)", etc.)? The vinyls themselves are hard to come by and I was wondering if any can point me towards lossless (or near-lossless) rips exist of those tracks?
    "Ripe" as a hi-res download comes with the official version of The Fragile: Definitive Edition vinyl, along with the other vinyl-edition tracks from that album.

    Technically, these are all copyrighted music files, so linking directly to them here would be uncouth. There is a high-quality version of the Aphrodite remix of "The Perfect Drug", recently made available on YouTube directly from the artist I believe, though I don't know of a stable place to download it from in lossless. It's also at a faster speed than the vinyl rip (apparently intentionally), which is cool to hear once but I don't care for it as much.. the way that old vinyl rip sounds is how I've been listening to it for years.

    There is more than one remix on Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D that's exclusive to the vinyl version. The whole thing circulates on music trackers. I've also seen various-quality rips of the two Fixed-era vinyl promo-exclusive "Happiness in Slavery" remixes floating around. I think that covers it?
    Last edited by botley; 09-06-2019 at 09:58 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The vinyl- only Saul Williams remix of Survivalism (OpalHeartClinicwhatever

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    860
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I've also seen various-quality rips of the two Fixed-era vinyl promo-exclusive "Happiness in Slavery" remixes floating around.
    To be more specific, these are the PK Slavery Mix and the Sherwood Slave Mix. The former was posted by Trent on remix.nin.com.

    It's worth noting that many of the tracks on The Fragile vinyl are cut differently. Different edits, fade-outs, etc. Most of these are subtle, others are more extreme. From ninwiki:

    • "The Day the World Went Away" has a longer guitar intro
    • "The Wretched" has an extended outro
    • "Even Deeper" features an elongated middle section
    • "La Mer" has a longer intro and an extended ending with more speech samples
    • "Pilgrimage" does not fade in, but rather begins building without any volume adjusting
    • "The Mark Has Been Made" does not feature the introduction of "10 Miles High" fading in at the end (the hidden bit of music in the pre-gap of "Please" on the CD version)
    • "I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally" begins with the full strings sample
    • "Ripe" does not include the "With Decay" ending section, but rather fades out as the slinking guitars play the main riff
    • "The Wretched," "We're in This Together," "Even Deeper," "Pilgrimage," "The Mark Has Been Made," "10 Miles High," "The New Flesh" and "I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally" all do not crossfade as on the CD version, because these songs either end or begin their respective sides

    The Capital G vinyl has an exclusive Dave Sitek remix of Survivalism. I honestly think this is fairly disappointing as it's basically the same as the original with some tweaks here and there. Not really worth tracking down.

    Most of the remixes can be found on youtube.
    Last edited by katara; 09-07-2019 at 04:47 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    To get ultra obscure and completist, there are also these extended mixes:

    Heresy (Blind) (Extended) (Closer To God promo vinyl)
    Closer To God (Extended) (Closer To God promo vinyl)

    As per: https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...920#post328920

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    860
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    To get ultra obscure and completist, there are also these extended mixes:

    Heresy (Blind) (Extended) (Closer To God promo vinyl)
    Closer To God (Extended) (Closer To God promo vinyl)

    As per: https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...920#post328920
    I had no idea these existed. Does Closer To God just have 20 seconds more noise on the end, or is it a more significant difference?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,986
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I had no idea these existed. Does Closer To God just have 20 seconds more noise on the end, or is it a more significant difference?
    I seem to remember that it just looped and faded out, rather than abruptly ending (don't have the actual disc to check). "Heresy (Blind)" on the vinyl promo has a full ending, with the delay repeats continuing for a few seconds rather than being abruptly cut off.
    Last edited by botley; 09-07-2019 at 08:35 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chekhov, Russia
    Posts
    1,939
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    So which Perfect Drug remix is correct? I got an mp3 from remixnincom, filesize 8.4 MB, time 5:58

    And i got a mp3 of Survivalism (Dave Sitek) ripped from a streaming service, LMK if there's interest
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 09-07-2019 at 10:13 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    So which Perfect Drug remix is correct? I got an mp3 from remixnincom, filesize 8.4 MB, time 5:58

    And i got a mp3 of Survivalism (Dave Sitek) ripped from a streaming service, LMK if there's interest
    Technically they both are:

    The Perfect Drug (Aphrodite)

    Running Time: 6:10 (Vinyl version), 5:38 (DJ Aphrodite upload)
    This remix is exclusive to the vinyl edition of "The Perfect Drug" Versions.It's set in a different key than the other remixes and has a fast, electronic beat. As with most of the other remixes, it is light on lyrics, consisting only of "can't keep control/can't keep track," "taking me," and "you are perfect." The track as released in 1997 was mastered at a slower speed. An MP3 of this version was uploaded to the Rare & Unreleased playlist on remix.nin.com. The original, unaltered track was eventually uploaded to Soundcloud by DJ Aphrodite, who stated: "This is the original speed the remix was made at. For the vinyl, Nothing Records slowed it down to around 160bpm, perhaps to lower the vocals, and at the time the general music loving public were still not used to the speed and energy of Jungle/D&B."

    https://aphroditerecordings.databeat...download/amix1

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,198
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Just say no to angry rodent Reznor vocals...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    LIC, NY
    Posts
    899
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Just say no to angry rodent Reznor vocals...
    Yeah, speeding up his vocals never helps anyone.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,455
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Complete list of analog-only tracks (vinyl and cassette):

    Capital G (Ladytron Finite Climax Mix) - Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D - 5:05
    Closer to God - Closer to God - 5:25 (fades to proper ending, promo vinyl)
    Even Deeper - 6:13 - The Fragile (Vinyl)
    Happiness in Slavery (PK Slavery Remix) - Happiness in Slavery - 5:43
    Happiness in Slavery (Sherwood Slave Remix) - Happiness in Slavery - 2:18
    Head Like a Hole (Radio Edit) - Head Like a Hole - 3:43
    Heresy (Blind) - 5:38 - Closer to God (fades to proper ending)
    Hurt (Reverse) - 6:13 - Not the Actual Events
    I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally - 4:20 - The Fragile (Vinyl)
    La Mer - 5:09 - The Fragile (Vinyl)
    Pilgrimage - 3:40 - The Fragile (Vinyl)
    Reptile (Reverse) - 6:52 - Not the Actual Events
    Ripe - 5:15 - The Fragile (Vinyl)
    Sin (Radio Edit) - 3:22 - Sin
    Something I Can Never Have - 5:55 - Pretty Hate Machine (Remastered, Vinyl, no "Sanctified" guitar drone)
    Survivalism_OpalHeartClinic_Niggy_Tardust!(Escaped ... - 4:19 - Survivalism
    The Day the World Went Away - 5:04 - The Fragile (Vinyl)
    The Downward Spiral (Reverse) - 3:57 - Not the Actual Events
    The Good Soldier (Friend or Faux 001) - 8:15 - Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D (aka Sam Fog Mix)
    The Mark Has Been Made - 4:44 - The Fragile (Vinyl)
    The Perfect Drug (Aphrodite) - 6:10 - The Perfect Drug
    The Perfect Drug (Aphrodite) - 5:38 - Perfect Drug / One Chill Remixes (white label; Original speed at which the remix was made; not 2016 remaster)
    The Wretched - 5:35 - The Fragile (Vinyl)
    Vessel (Mix 1) - 9:36 - Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D
    Vessel (Mix 2) - 13:12 - Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D (First half is the same as the Bill Laswell Mix)
    Wish - 3:36 - Broken (Promo) (Also on Hot Wired Monstertrux CD?)
    Wish (Radio Edit) - 3:51 - Wish (UK, aka Radio Version, censored by word substitution, ending guitar riff is repeated to fade-out)

    +Appendage - 2:41 - The Fragile (Cassette)
    Starfuckers, Inc. - 5:24 - The Day the World Went Away (Cassette, no "Complication" guitar during the ending)
    Suck (Live) - 5:27 - TVT Sampler Summer 1991

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,455
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    To be more specific, these are the PK Slavery Mix and the Sherwood Slave Mix. The former was posted by Trent on remix.nin.com.
    The ones posted to remix.nin.com were ripped from vinyl

    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    The Capital G vinyl has an exclusive Dave Sitek remix of Survivalism.
    This was released digitally on iTunes UK as a pre-order bonus track for Year Zero.

    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    So which Perfect Drug remix is correct? I got an mp3 from remixnincom, filesize 8.4 MB, time 5:58
    That one is a bad vinyl rip that should be jettisoned. It was played back on an uncalibrated deck. The correct run time should have been 6:10.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Technically, I suppose you could count most of the side closing tracks on the 2017 DE vinyl of TDS. I remember there being a lot of speculation about what Trent would do with the crossfades between tracks; apparently, they were retained on the original vinyl, which is bound to have sounded nothing short of awkward, as you’d have a song fading out just as it has started fading in.

    On the 2017 pressing, all crossfades between the tracks that close and open separate sides of vinyl have been eliminated. The accompanying download doesn’t reflect this, so those edits do not exist digitally to my knowledge.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    2,978
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Why are we talking of The Fragile vinyl edits as analog-only here? Weren't they used for Definitive Edition?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So wait, there's no digital version of the Aphrodite's TPD remix which runs at the speed at which it was cut to the promo vinyl? And no good, widely circulated rip? I'll fix this if so.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    860
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Why are we talking of The Fragile vinyl edits as analog-only here? Weren't they used for Definitive Edition?
    There's no other physical edition. The only way to get the digital version is by buying the vinyl. So, unless I've missed something, it's vinyl-exclusive.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SF, SD
    Posts
    1,946
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    It would be nice if someone put together all the highest quality rips, into a convenient . rar...

    (for personal use, of course)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    canaderp
    Posts
    1,444
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Something I Can Never Have - 5:55 - Pretty Hate Machine (Remastered, Vinyl, no "Sanctified" guitar drone)
    If this makes the list, Sanctified from that release should also – it lacks the drone guitar as well.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SF, SD
    Posts
    1,946
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    If this makes the list, Sanctified from that release should also – it lacks the drone guitar as well.
    I would like to hear this one for sure.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,455
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Technically, I suppose you could count most of the side closing tracks on the 2017 DE vinyl of TDS. I remember there being a lot of speculation about what Trent would do with the crossfades between tracks; apparently, they were retained on the original vinyl, which is bound to have sounded nothing short of awkward, as you’d have a song fading out just as it has started fading in.

    On the 2017 pressing, all crossfades between the tracks that close and open separate sides of vinyl have been eliminated. The accompanying download doesn’t reflect this, so those edits do not exist digitally to my knowledge.
    I'll have to look into that then. Sounds like those would be unique though.

    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Why are we talking of The Fragile vinyl edits as analog-only here? Weren't they used for Definitive Edition?
    Yes, but the Definitive Edition is remastered. In my list, I usually count remastered and original release tracks as different, because they can sound different, and even have different elements (e.g. missing samples on PHM remastered).

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    So wait, there's no digital version of the Aphrodite's TPD remix which runs at the speed at which it was cut to the promo vinyl?
    That's correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    If this makes the list, Sanctified from that release should also – it lacks the drone guitar as well.
    Good point, I'll add that.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    730
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    There are a few analog-only things here:
    http://nindestruct.com/music.html
    Last edited by piggy; 09-08-2019 at 11:57 PM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,040
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Complete list of analog-only tracks (vinyl and cassette):
    March of the Pigs Live - 3:12 - Closer (Cassingle)

    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    There are a few analog-only things here:
    http://nindestruct.com/music.html

    Oh lord, pay no attention to the Screamtracker files. I made those when I was 15 and I had no sense of pitch, haha.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,455
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    March of the Pigs Live - 3:12 - Closer (Cassingle)
    That track is available on CD, "Obdurate Vol. 1"

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    That's correct.
    Okey dokey - I'll dig out my copy. I'll see if those HiS rips can be improved also.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    There are a few analog-only things here:
    http://nindestruct.com/music.html
    How come the Terrible Lie and Sin demos are only available as excerpts?

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    2,978
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    How come the Terrible Lie and Sin demos are only available as excerpts?
    They are from the tape sold on ebay (by Martin Atkins?) which never went public after auction ended

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,040
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    That track is available on CD, "Obdurate Vol. 1"
    Ah, right! That's what I get for posting at 1am after a long weekend. I had this vague recollection of that compilation having a unique live cut, but what I was really thinking of was Gave Up (Live) from Industrial Strength Machine Music - I got my obscure tracks crossed.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    They are from the tape sold on ebay (by Martin Atkins?) which never went public after auction ended
    Oh I hate when that happens.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    canaderp
    Posts
    1,444
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Technically, I suppose you could count most of the side closing tracks on the 2017 DE vinyl of TDS. I remember there being a lot of speculation about what Trent would do with the crossfades between tracks; apparently, they were retained on the original vinyl, which is bound to have sounded nothing short of awkward, as you’d have a song fading out just as it has started fading in.

    On the 2017 pressing, all crossfades between the tracks that close and open separate sides of vinyl have been eliminated. The accompanying download doesn’t reflect this, so those edits do not exist digitally to my knowledge.
    Yeah, the Reptile intro (in full) was at the end of Eraser on the OG LP, with a fadeout. So the last side opened with the loud bit of Reptile. Weird. Same thing with the IDNWT intro being on the end of The Becoming, iirc.

    MOTP and Closer aren't different on the 2017 LP – there's silence between them. The Becoming acoustic guitar does fade out early though, but for some reason that also means IDNWT just doesn't have an intro on the LP at all (it opens like the track index on the CD). And Eraser has a proper ending, although I can't really tell if they just faded it out or if it truly doesn't have the Reptile intro at all.

Posting Permissions