Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 54 of 54

Thread: Rare/exclusive vinyl tracks

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,444
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    MOTP and Closer aren't different on the 2017 LP – there's silence between them. The Becoming acoustic guitar does fade out early though, but for some reason that also means IDNWT just doesn't have an intro on the LP at all (it opens like the track index on the CD). And Eraser has a proper ending, although I can't really tell if they just faded it out or if it truly doesn't have the Reptile intro at all.
    Nice. I'm going to have to check out all these vinyl side breaks and see what that does to the list. It'll take a while to go through all that, but I want my list to be complete.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    508
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    well this thread kinda blew up. the diffrences are intresting.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    708
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Okey dokey - I'll dig out my copy. I'll see if those HiS rips can be improved also.
    There are HIS rips at the link I posted (http://nindestruct.com/music.html) and they should be good.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh yes, of course there are no problems with those rips (in comparison to the TPD rip). But still it might be possible to get nicer copies, depending on how the vinyl replay chain here stacks up against the one that was used then. Of course, it may be that I can't improve on them, but no harm in trying.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    790
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    How come the Terrible Lie and Sin demos are only available as excerpts?
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    They are from the tape sold on ebay (by Martin Atkins?) which never went public after auction ended
    Fuck the person who bought this and then didn't share it.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Genuine question - how do you guys find OUT about all these ultra rare tracks? How can you know that some weird one off release was distributed to Iceland or something?

    Knowing this forum, if that existed, you'd know about it, but how? How does nincollector for example find out about these hundreds , maybe thousands of different releases /formats /remixes?!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chekhov, Russia
    Posts
    1,919
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Well, as a rule of thumb, the different mixes are usually titled in a distinct manner, the record companies take care of that. Compiling information is easy, that's what internet is all about.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,905
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    Genuine question - how do you guys find OUT about all these ultra rare tracks? How can you know that some weird one off release was distributed to Iceland or something?

    Knowing this forum, if that existed, you'd know about it, but how? How does nincollector for example find out about these hundreds , maybe thousands of different releases /formats /remixes?!
    I mean, there's kind of a self-sorting process already in place to attract obsessive collectors when the artist institutes their own catalogue number (Halos). And yeah, the online fan community has been gathering this info together for over twenty-five years now. There used to be very active Usenet Newsgroups about NIN, long before web-based forums took their place (as a nerdy kid getting into this stuff, FAQ lists from those groups were a great way to figure it all out quickly, even before peer-to-peer file trading made it very easy to grab everything you didn't already have).

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I mean, there's kind of a self-sorting process already in place to attract obsessive collectors when the artist institutes their own catalogue number (Halos). And yeah, the online fan community has been gathering this info together for over twenty-five years now. There used to be very active Usenet Newsgroups about NIN, long before web-based forums took their place (as a nerdy kid getting into this stuff, FAQ lists from those groups were a great way to figure it all out quickly, even before peer-to-peer file trading made it very easy to grab everything you didn't already have).
    OK, that makes sense.

    Is there a possibility that there exists some weird release of HLAH in Uganda or something that no one has ever found?

    Do record labels have catalogues and trails that can be followed for that, from artist to market?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,905
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    OK, that makes sense.

    Is there a possibility that there exists some weird release of HLAH in Uganda or something that no one has ever found?

    Do record labels have catalogues and trails that can be followed for that, from artist to market?
    Back when NIN was signed to a major label, they would put out a press release in each market when something new came out, so you could often spot those if you were a fan, by looking through music magazines or trade listings. Otherwise, just trawling the record stores. Nowadays, it's all different!

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    so, who's gonna mention the super rare stuff, like the Top of the Hour track, or the demo version of In The Hall Of The Mountain King? or are we keeping this to just vinyl and cassette exclusives?

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    790
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcpunk View Post
    so, who's gonna mention the super rare stuff, like the Top of the Hour track, or the demo version of In The Hall Of The Mountain King? or are we keeping this to just vinyl and cassette exclusives?
    The thread's title is 'Rare/exclusive vinyl tracks'.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    that is true.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,444
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    There are HIS rips at the link I posted (http://nindestruct.com/music.html) and they should be good.
    I listened to these, and there's a lot of audible surface noise in these rips (clicks, pops, etc.) The MP3's from remix.nin.com are comparatively better, with less noise to begin with or cleaned up better.

    Quote Originally Posted by pcpunk View Post
    the demo version of In The Hall Of The Mountain King?
    Although it's off-topic, I don't know about this. Details?

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    708
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    I listened to these, and there's a lot of audible surface noise in these rips (clicks, pops, etc.) The MP3's from remix.nin.com are comparatively better, with less noise to begin with or cleaned up better.
    Oh, okay. Didn't realize.

  16. #46
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SF, SD
    Posts
    1,871
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    I listened to these, and there's a lot of audible surface noise in these rips (clicks, pops, etc.) The MP3's from remix.nin.com are comparatively better, with less noise to begin with or cleaned up better.


    Although it's off-topic, I don't know about this. Details?
    I did a line out capture years ago...

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,444
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I did a line out capture years ago...
    Oh, OK, so it's from the movie Blu-ray bonus features?

  18. #48
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SF, SD
    Posts
    1,871
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Oh, OK, so it's from the movie Blu-ray bonus features?
    Yup, this is one that could use an upgrade too, if someone could pull the file straight from the disc.

  19. #49
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Having just compared the two HIS 'Sherwood Slave' rips, the flacs seem better overall, even with the extra noise. But the PK Slavery Mix mp3 from remix.nin sounds very good - is it definitely sourced from vinyl?

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,023
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    But the PK Slavery Mix mp3 from remix.nin sounds very good - is it definitely sourced from vinyl?
    Can confirm.

  21. #51
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Great - thanks! Will add that to the pile then...

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    1,513
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Oh, OK, so it's from the movie Blu-ray bonus features?
    Disc 2, specifically. Should be Dolby Digital 2.0 / 48 kHz / 192 Kpbs (.ac3).

    I don't currently have a license for BD cracking software, otherwise I'd do it. There are alternate methods out there, but I figured cracking the disc "yourself" would ensure lineage purity.

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    369
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    To get ultra obscure and completist, there are also these extended mixes:

    Heresy (Blind) (Extended) (Closer To God promo vinyl)
    Closer To God (Extended) (Closer To God promo vinyl)

    As per: https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...920#post328920
    Well shit, this is news to me to too. Time to hunt this down and add it to my collection!

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Fuck the person who bought this and then didn't share it.
    I would love to hear those demos released in some capacity....

    I could be remembering things incorrectly, but I believe it was allegedly inferred that it was TR who put in and subsequently won the bid in for those tapes so it wouldn't be released.
    Again, I could be very wrong about this and I have no way to confirm it at all so take what I'm posting with a grain of salt.

Posting Permissions