Hendrix
    Beatles
    Zeppelin
    Sinatra
    Pink Floyd
    NIN
    Nirvana
    Guns N' Roses???

The 00's/10's produced no new artists of that caliber. In 300 years people will still listen to The Beatles and Frank Sinatra, not Frank Ocean and Vampire Weekend.
    You're not wrong. There haven't been that many new groups that have had much of an impact. I'd say there's still some great music being made, but most of it is either not in the public eye or completely underground.

Ranker's top artists of all time is interesting to look through. Most of the highest-ranking artists are either dead, no longer active, split up, or not making new music anymore. NIN is at #223 (should we do something about this?).
    Last edited by katara; 10-10-2019 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Not for nothing, but I don't want new artists of that caliber. I want artists who stand on their own two feet without having to be mentioned in the same breath as the greats.

And I think anyone who tries to compare what's come before with what exists now will be disappointed, just as people who compared those musicians to what came before them were disappointed. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
    I don't think it is just nostalgia though. Is there a "Stairway" of the last 20 years?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Is there a "Stairway" of the last 20 years?
    Does there need to be?

To me, music is so varied now that it seems futile to try to narrow it down to fit into the past's perception of how music should be. A lot of musicians aren't concerned with creating the next "Stairway To Heaven" because they want to be known for their own achievements, and sometimes those achievements aren't about making classic hits but about expressing themselves in their own way.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 10-10-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Does there need to be?

To me, music is so varied now that it seems futile to try to narrow it down to fit into the past's perception of how music should be. A lot of musicians aren't concerned with creating the next "Stairway To Heaven" because they want to be known for their own achievements, and sometimes those achievements aren't about making classic hits but about expressing themselves in their own way.
    I just see any song from the past 20 years being listened to 300 years from now, but people will still listen to Sinatra and Zeppelin in 2319.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I just see any song from the past 20 years being listened to 300 years from now, but people will still listen to Sinatra and Zeppelin in 2319.
    You can't see it, but there's a whole bunch of people out there who may feel differently.

Frankly, I don't listen to Sinatra at all, and I limit my intake of Zeppelin because, while I really like them, I don't want to overexpose myself to their music so I can still enjoy it. Besides that, there's a LOT of music that's come out in the past twenty years that I plan on listening to for the rest of my life, and I'm sure people will be passing on music that's affected them to their children, and their children, and so on and so forth. The idea that anything made in the last twenty years couldn't possibly have legs is, frankly, bullshit. I'd suggest looking past Sinatra and Zeppelin and really getting to the heart of the matter, which is not "Who is making the big hits that are going to be remembered a hundred years from now?", but "Who is making music that is getting within people and taking root and making memories?". The answer is a whole lot of people. You just have to know where to look.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 10-11-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Frank Ocean is better than Sinatra and Guns 'n Roses combined.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    If only Jesse Camp would drop a comeback album, he‘d likely own this list.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    Haha, that's funny. I almost spit my coffee out while reading that.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    You can't see it, but there's a whole bunch of people out there who may feel differently.

Frankly, I don't listen to Sinatra at all, and I limit my intake of Zeppelin because, while I really like them, I don't want to overexpose myself to their music so I can still enjoy it. Besides that, there's a LOT of music that's come out in the past twenty years that I plan on listening to for the rest of my life, and I'm sure people will be passing on music that's affected them to their children, and their children, and so on and so forth. The idea that anything made in the last twenty years couldn't possibly have legs is, frankly, bullshit. I'd suggest looking past Sinatra and Zeppelin and really getting to the heart of the matter, which is not "Who is making the big hits that are going to be remembered a hundred years from now?", but "Who is making music that is getting within people and taking root and making memories?". The answer is a whole lot of people. You just have to know where to look.
    I'm not knocking anyone for their tastes, and if you like a lot of music from the last 20 years that's great. I'm just saying, from what I've heard, there are no artists whose debut album was released after 1999 (more like '94-ish) that people will be listening to in 300 years. Maybe some of the new music has "legs" in that some people might stream in 20 years, but not 300.

In 300 years people will still listen to:

The Beatles
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    Frank Sinatra
    Bach
    Mozart
    Brahms
    Beethoven
    Elvis Presley
    Michael Jackson
    Johnny Cash

In 300 years people will not listen to Frank Ocean and Vampire Weekend. Just a guess.

ETA--Just reading some of these posts and laughing at the absurdity of it. Guessing what music people will listen to in 300 years? There might not even be an Earth in 300 years.

That said, I think that our alien and/or robot overlords will listen to Frank Sinatra and Led Zeppelin, and not care for Vampire Weekend and Frank Ocean.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 10-12-2019 at 06:59 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm not knocking anyone for their tastes, and if you like a lot of music from the last 20 years that's great. I'm just saying, from what I've heard, there are no artists whose debut album was released after 1999 (more like '94-ish) that people will be listening to in 300 years. Maybe some of the new music has "legs" in that some people might stream in 20 years, but not 300.

The Beatles
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    Frank Sinatra
    Bach
    Mozart
    Brahms
    Beethoven
    Elvis Presley
    Michael Jackson
    Johnny Cash

In 300 years people will not listen to Frank Ocean and Vampire Weekend. Just a guess.

ETA--Just reading some of these posts and laughing at the absurdity of it. Guessing what music people will listen to in 300 years? There might not even be an Earth in 300 years.

That said, I think that our alien and/or robot overlords will listen to Frank Sinatra and Led Zeppelin, and not care for Vampire Weekend and Frank Ocean.
    Eh, I can do without listening to these artists. If I'm being honest, I do not like any of these artists. I think there's loads of amazing music being released. Sadly, the mainstream is absolute garbage now. And the times are completely different now, not in the quality of music, but how it is presented. It was a much more focused rollout for artists back in the day. Labels had the key to the door in which you had to go through. It is just not the same, it's so spread out now. There is no focal point in discovering new music. Music magazines are a shadow of their former selves. There is no MTV. The radio is dead and replaced by satellite radio who just play the same music over and over again. Major labels do not take chances anymore and they're not about showing listeners something new, but finding something safe and that sounds familiar enough like the previous thing. Music has beeen turned into an all you can eat, early bird lunch special with a senior citizen's discount pricing for everyone. We devalued music. People stopped actually buying music and the support of these new and upcoming artists has completely disappeared. But yes, there are people making music as good or better than the artists listed above, you're just not going to have a magazine or music channel or award ceremony to tell you how great it is. It is about how YOU feel about the music. The artists about have had decades or centuries of promotion and press and exposure to everyday people. That does not happen anymore. The magazines of today and the Spotifys of today are all hawking the same sterile and safe shit because it is a guarantee to not challenge to the listener and they can shove some BS ad in your face. And we kinda helped create this world by falling in line on the buffet because it is cheap and all you can eat. We didn't want to pay for music anymore and this is the type of world it helped create.
    Last edited by neorev; 10-12-2019 at 07:17 AM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)

The Beatles
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    Frank Sinatra
    Bach
    Mozart
    Brahms
    Beethoven
    Elvis Presley
    Michael Jackson
    Johnny Cash

In 300 years people will not listen to Frank Ocean and Vampire Weekend
    I do not like any of these with the exception of maybe three Michael Jackson songs.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I do not like any of these with the exception of maybe three Michael Jackson songs.
    Ah man. You're missing out.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I sometimes look at the Billboard 200 and don't know who most of the new bands/singers/rappers are.

I still don't (and this is just my stupid humble opinion) think that there are any artists from the past 20 years who have put out something like this:
    Except for maybe Dr. Dre, I listen to these and don't feel anything. But to each their own, it is just not my type of music. But I can say mainstream rap especially has gone downhill. Honestly, I was never a big rock person, except for bands like Deftones, Nirvana, Aereogramme, Hum, Muse, Radiohead, and a few others. For me, electronic music is my favorite type of music as it is pushing things you can do with sound further. I rather The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Amon Tobin, Lorn, Clark, Nine Inch Nails, Meat Beat Manifesto, Aphex Twin, Jackson And His Computerband, etc. than anyone of the classic music. Now this stuff makes me feel something inside. I was making a list of my top favorite albums of all time and the earliest album was from 1992.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Prodigy - No Tourists (2018)
    The Chemical Brothers - No Geography (2019)
    Orbital - Wonky (2012)
    Thom Yorke - Tomorrow's Modern Boxes (2014)
    Jackson And His Computerband - Glow
    Amon Tobin - ISAM (2011)
    Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2 (2014)
    Justice - Audio, Video, Disco (2011)
    iamamiwhoami - Blue (2014)
    Animal Collective - Centipede Hz (2012)

Sonoio - Fine (2018)
    Lorn - Vessel (2015)
    Clark - Clark (2014)
    Slow Magic -
    (2012)
    Health - Death Magic (2015)
    Deftones - Gore (2016)
    The Death Set - Michel Poiccard (2011)
    Modeselektor - Monkeytown (2011)
    Gesaffelstein - Aleph (2013)
    Front Line Assembly - Echogenetic (2013)

Last edited by neorev; 10-12-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I sometimes look at the Billboard 200 and don't know who most of the new bands/singers/rappers are.
    If you're using the Billboard 200 as an indicator for what music is like today, then you are missing out on a LOT of music. That may be an indication of what's selling, but that's not an indication of what's out there.

The idea that music stopped being good twenty/thirty/forty years ago is ridiculous and closed-minded in my opinion. I think it says more about the person who thinks that way than the state of music today. If you've already decided that nothing can ever be as good as the music you've listed, how exactly are you supposed to know if something that good comes along again?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    If you're using the Billboard 200 as an indicator for what music is like today, then you are missing out on a LOT of music. That may be an indication of what's selling, but that's not an indication of what's out there.

The idea that music stopped being good twenty/thirty/forty years ago is ridiculous and closed-minded in my opinion. I think it says more about the person who thinks that way than the state of music today. If you've already decided that nothing can ever be as good as the music you've listed, how exactly are you supposed to know if something that good comes along again?
    I'm sure I am somewhat closed minded. And I don't hate everything, and some of the songs posted here I thought were kind of cool. That said, I just don't personally feel that any new act from this century produced anything as good as the artists from the 20th century. I'm just not hearing it. And again, totally my opinion, which is no more valid than anyone else's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    2010,Atticus Ross-Book Of Eli
    2011,Decree-Fateless
    2012,Killing Joke-MMXII
    2013,Dadub-You Are Eternity
    2014 Moon Duo-Live In Ravenna
    2015,The Dead Weather-Dodge And Burn
    2016,Barker & Baumecker-Turns
    2017,Devil And The Universe-Folk Horror
    2018,Stigmata-Paraspectral 1&2
    2019,Automatic-Signal
    Last edited by use you up; 10-12-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    ...I just don't personally feel that any new act from this century produced anything as good as the artists from the 20th century. I'm just not hearing it. ...
    You're not alone there. It seems that more than just a few people find it hard to plug in to music of this decade. What has been the worst decade for music? In this survey 42% said it was this decade.

That could be the same as this poll,

There's no time like the present...for bad music. Forty-two percent of Americans think that this decade has the worst music compared with the other four most recent decades. Next in order are the 2000s (15 percent), 1990s (13 percent), 1980s (14 percent) and the 1970s (12percent). People of all stripes are in agreement on this one. The 70s had classic rock and disco, the 80s had pop and new wave, the 90s had hip hop, alternative rock and grunge but starting around the turn of the century, Americans seem to feel music has hit a rough patch. Many people are predisposed to feel nostalgia for the music and songs of their youth, but by a wide margin, even today's younger set feels that this decade's music is the worst.”

Another interesting question posed...

So, in which decade would you jump off your time machine to see a band perform before they lost their famous lead singer? Twenty-two percentwould go back to the 50s to see Buddy Holly chirping with the Crickets, 21 percent would drag themselves back to the 70s to see Freddy Mercury perform with Queen, another 21 percent would venture back to the psychedelic 60s and "experience" Jimi Hendrix first hand, 13 percent would also flash back to the 60s and open the Doors to see Jim Morrison in his prime and 11 percent would travel back to 90s and seek Nirvana in the form of Kurt Cobain. Nine percentwould skip the trip altogether.”
    Last edited by Dr Channard; 10-12-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The problem with polls like that is that you don't know what those people have listened to from this decade. How many of those people just have some Spotify algorithm of current hits playing in the background at work and immediately assume it's a good sampling of what music is like today? The truth is that people don't want to seek out things anymore. They want to experience art through osmosis, and if nothing they enjoy passes their way, then they assume there's nothing out there. That's a terrible way to consume music, movies, etc.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So I went through that PF list from previous page just to count how many of these 200 albums I actually heard... it's 13 (thirteen).
    Where the fuck do people get time to listen to that much new music, let alone listen to it enough times to actually rank 200 or whatever best albums in order?
    Last edited by fillow; 10-12-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    So I went through that PF list from previous page just to count how many of these 200 albums I actually heard... it's 13 (thirteen).
    Where the fuck do people get time to listen to that much new music, let alone listen to it enough times to actually rank 200 or whatever best albums in order?
    I have a job where I'm able to listen to music a good portion of my workday. Even taking that out of the equation, listening to an album every couple days isn't that crazy.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The problem with polls like that is that you don't know what those people have listened to from this decade. How many of those people just have some Spotify algorithm of current hits playing in the background at work and immediately assume it's a good sampling of what music is like today? The truth is that people don't want to seek out things anymore. They want to experience art through osmosis, and if nothing they enjoy passes their way, then they assume there's nothing out there. That's a terrible way to consume music, movies, etc.
    Exactly! There are too many variables to take that poll seriously.

It's not like the 90s. Now, if you want good music, you have to search and dig for it. And there is A LOT more music to go through because there are no gatekeepers anymore. And even when you do find something amazing, it will not have the same impact because you don't have Rolling Stone or Billboard or MTV or the radio or a major label buying promo telling you over and over how amazing it is. It is the landacape of music industry and how people discover that music that has changed, not the quality of music.

Me, I am constantly searching for and looking for new music because it feels wrong if I'm not doing that. A Spotify or YouTube algorithm ain't going to help you.

P.S. Paying $10 a month to have access to everything is not supporting artists. And god forbid a streaming services tries to charge $20, it disgusts and disheartens me to see the reactions of people in that case and their pure greediness comes out in the vile shit they say, like how dare you charge $20 and possibly give artists more money. To be honest, seeing what the music landscape has become, I put more of the blame on the listener/consumer than the music industry itself. Most do not care about supporting the music they claim to love. They just want a cheap all you can eat buffet.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The problem with polls like that is that you don't know what those people have listened to from this decade....
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Exactly! There are too many variables to take that poll seriously.

It's not like the 90s. Now, if you want good music, you have to search and dig for it. And there is A LOT more music to go through because there are no gatekeepers anymore. And even when you do find something amazing, it will not have the same impact because you don't have Rolling Stone or Billboard or MTV or the radio or a major label buying promo telling you over and over how amazing it is. ...
    Well, that's something to think about. It is truly unfortunate if the advanced technology of the current decade somehow makes it far more difficult and time consuming for the average listener to discover and connect to the masterpieces of the current era, than had ever been the case in the past.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Wow, this thread took a big dump.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    RE: The Pitchfork list. THIS is the opening song from the best album of the 2010's?

Are you fucking kidding me?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Please stop making every thread about Sinatra. Thanks.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Sure. I'll keep it in the controversial or Sinatra thread. In the context of this thread I brought him up as an example of a 20th century artist (along with several others) as compared to music from this century. But I won't bring him up again in this (or other) thread(s).

On another note, STP, against all odds, released a pretty awesome album this decade. Thought they died with Weiland, but their last album was pretty awesome.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    THIS.

If you’ve heard Tom Segura’s opinion on Sinatra it’s identical to mine.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Here is another best of the 2010's list:
    https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...10s-paste.html

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quite a few loses this decade:

Amy Winehouse
    Jani Lane
    Scott Weiland
    Chris Cornell
    Leonard Cohen