Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Soul (2020)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Soul (2020)

Trent & Atticus appear to have composed for an upcoming Disney Pixar film, entitled Soul.
    Starring Jamie Foxx & Tina Fey, it is being described as a “journey from the streets of New York City to the cosmic realms to discover the answers to life’s most important questions.”

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/08...e-pixars-soul/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_(2020_film)
    Last edited by Soma; 08-25-2019 at 01:10 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Yup! Just saw this. Pretty cool. God break out the sax!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I legit screamed in excitment that they're gonna work w/ pixar. On this aweful of days for me, such a wonderful note.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    More music announced. And, yep..it's another score.
    https://www.nme.com/news/film/trent-...m-soul-2541752
    So I write music for soundtracks now
    I write music for soundtracks now
    (That's what I wanted to do anyhow)

-GBV

I get why, I just wish he didn't churn them out like a factory. Last few haven't really been that memorable.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    I get why, I just wish he didn't churn them out like a factory.
    That's...what film composers do. They do a few projects a year.

Frankly, I like seeing them take on different work and challenge themselves. Their score for mid90s, while very minimalist, was an interesting change of pace for them. I also like that they're not just taking anything that's handed to them, but that they're choosing to work with interesting people and organizations. It seems like most of their collaborations have been good (Patriots Day aside), so I can see why they've continued to do scores. When you're good at something and you're in demand, that's not exactly a terrible place to be.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miked732 View Post
    God money Ill do anything for you
    I love that, whenever they do another score, someone accuses them of selling out or not caring about Nine Inch Nails anymore, as if they haven't done music for major productions or been on huge record labels before. It's hilarious.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    pffffft, Pixar are amazing (most of the time), Trent and Atticus are amazing (most of the time).

This is pretty cool news

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I don't think their stuff is gonna be the jazzy side of the movie. They will prolly be scoring the "cosmic realms" parts, and the jazz will be made by actual jazz musicians.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Pretty cool news indeed - don't understand why anyone here would not be delighted by it.
    Last edited by Tom; 08-26-2019 at 02:39 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    As a dad who plays music from kids movies for my five year old, I’m looking forward to this.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Last edited by ninjaw; 08-27-2019 at 02:12 AM. Reason: no opinion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Soul...musician falls into sewer and fights to reclaim his soul.

That’s NIN material right there!

I hope Trent is dusting off his saxophone...

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I don't think their stuff is gonna be the jazzy side of the movie. They will prolly be scoring the "cosmic realms" parts, and the jazz will be made by actual jazz musicians.
    Thank God Trent has Mike Garson on speed dial.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Ugh

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    I dont like cartoon movies, and I dislike most of CG cartoon movies.
    You don't even have to watch the movie to enjoy the music. I haven't watched the past however many movies they've scored...you can still listen.

I'm looking forward to this because it's so off the wall. I can't even begin to imagine what a TR/AR score for a Pixar movie will sound like.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Sorry if I am not one of those fans who thinks TR can do no wrong.
    But you don't know anything about it yet, other than it's Disney / Pixar and a small blurb about the plot. So you're basing this off some predetermined notion of what this is or isn't based on it being a cartoon. Sure, it might end up being an average score but it also might win them another Oscar. How about you wait it's you actually hear something instead of writing it off as a cash grab? Not that your opinion or my opinion mean anything.
    Last edited by cdm; 08-26-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nihilmatters View Post
    Soul...musician falls into sewer and fights to reclaim his soul.

That’s NIN material right there!
    I mean, it kinda sounds like the pinion video, no?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    How about you wait it's you actually hear something instead of writing it off as a cash grab.
    I always find the sell-out argument odd in most cases. Honestly, isn't everything they do a "cash grab?" I mean they work to get paid and why wouldn't they take on projects that pay them more than others or give them better marketing in their career(s)? People act like Nine Inch Nails was some underground art rock band that made avant-garde noise. This band literally made their career by taking a style of music that wasn't meant for pop structures and making it pop music. That is not a dis towards the band. They are my favorite band and make amazing music, but I don't understand this strange obsession with them selling out. I think that ship sailed long ago.

Also, I don't see any issue with Disney/Pixar... I would take Coco over The Social Network, Gone Girl, Patriots Day... any day. A good movie is a good movie regardless of who paid for it to be made.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm more interested in this than any of the scores since Gone Girl. A lot of people criticize the past several scores as sounding too similar and I think this is a project that will naturally make them create material that should contrast a lot with the other scores. Every time Trent works outside of his comfort zone we tend to get something totally special and unique and this feels like a perfect breeding ground for that kind of material.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Sorry if I am not one of those fans who thinks TR can do no wrong.
    Who said that was the case? I just find it amusing whenever people throw around the "selling out" accusation. Nine Inch Nails have played massive arenas sponsored by corporations, had music in major films and TV shows for decades, and have been on a major label at one time or another for most of its lifespan. The idea that Trent and Atticus are crossing a line by helping to score a Pixar film is absurd.

And if you're not happy about it, don't listen to the music and don't go see the film. Simple, no?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Personally, I plan not to see the film; as long as Disney executives continue buddying with/fundraising for the Trump administration and enforcing "apolitical" stances in their work, I'm not buying any of their products or supporting their product with my dollars. But I'm stoked TR & AR continue to work with cool directors and musicians (respect to Jon Batiste), the film could well turn out to be great. Artists don't deserve to be shamed for taking work because of their employers' bad corporate policies, those are ubiquitous at the level of work they're doing.

We had a robust discussion about this (minus the usual shit-disturbers) when TR and Rob Sheridan went to work for Apple Music... I hope it doesn't get dragged to the clickbait "FAN OUTRAGE" like that YouTube header above seems to be stirring up. Hopefully, NIN is donating their income from the 'sell-out' Marvel & Pixar collaborations (both divisions of Disney) to help organize and fight against the awful policies that these monstrous mega-corporations are buying from the American government.

That's just my two cents, looking forward to hearing the music.
    Last edited by botley; 08-26-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I always find the sell-out argument odd in most cases. Honestly, isn't everything they do a "cash grab?" I mean they work to get paid and why wouldn't they take on projects that pay them more than others or give them better marketing in their career(s)? People act like Nine Inch Nails was some underground art rock band that made avant-garde noise. This band literally made their career by taking a style of music that wasn't meant for pop structures and making it pop music. That is not a dis towards the band. They are my favorite band and make amazing music, but I don't understand this strange obsession with them selling out. I think that ship sailed long ago.

Also, I don't see any issue with Disney/Pixar... I would take Coco over The Social Network, Gone Girl, Patriots Day... any day. A good movie is a good movie regardless of who paid for it to be made.
    There is a difference to me between specifically working with another artist because you want to achieve something great: e.g., the obvious synergies in the relationship with Fincher seemed to validate the choice without question.

It's another thing entirely to become part of a mega-corporation movie factory machine. It's just a little too convenient for my tastes. I guess the point is, while the line between art and commerce is always going to be fuzzy, this gig seems to be clearly in the realm of commerce.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Personally, I plan not to see the film; as long as Disney executives continue buddying with/fundraising for the Trump administration and enforcing "apolitical" stances in their work, I'm not buying any of their products or supporting their product with my dollars. But I'm stoked TR & AR continue to work with cool directors and musicians (respect to Jon Batiste), the film could well turn out to be great. Artists don't deserve to be shamed for taking work because of their employers' bad corporate policies, those are ubiquitous at the level of work they're doing.

We had a robust discussion about this (minus the usual shit-disturbers) when TR and Rob Sheridan went to work for Apple Music... I hope it doesn't get dragged to the clickbait "FAN OUTRAGE" like that YouTube header above seems to be stirring up. Hopefully, NIN is donating their income from the 'sell-out' Marvel & Pixar collaborations (both divisions of Disney) to help organize and fight against the awful policies that these monstrous mega-corporations are buying from the American government.

That's just my two cents, looking forward to hearing the music.
    This seems legitimately strange to me. Reznor has been pretty vocal about hating the current president and now he's signed up to work for a company that's fine supporting him.

I also think it's a little strange that two white dudes are scoring a movie about jazz, called Soul...unless they are just doing the more cosmic stuff.

But hey, new music from TR and AR is new music from TR and AR.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I also think it's a little strange that two white dudes are scoring a movie about jazz, called Soul...unless they are just doing the more cosmic stuff.
    I mentioned Jon Batiste because he's writing/putting together the jazz parts of the soundtrack; presumably, TR & AR are just contributing to the background score. But who knows, maybe TR will play dat sax after all!

Yeah, there is way more than just one film production company in Hollywood that's "fine [with] supporting" Trump; it's part of the rigged game of American politics. Again, I don't begrudge the artists for making their money in any way; I just don't personally feel comfortable buying a ticket in this case.
    Last edited by botley; 08-26-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Danny Elfman will be out of work soon, thanks to TR/AR!

I am eager to see this movie, I have a 3 and 5 yr old who will likely enjoy it too. I'm interested to see where on the 'creepy scale' these tracks will land; 1 being 'Mid 90s' and 10 being 'Birdbox'.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    I dont like cartoon movies, and I dislike most of CG cartoon movies. It feels really weird, but hey I got a kid, so I understand, I may have to be forced to watch those or pffffff go to eurodisney.
    This isn't going to be just some "cartoon movie," it's Pixar, the undisputed gold standard for modern animated movies.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    It's pretty awesome to see how they are stretching out with the projects they're doing (thrillers, horrors, coming of age and now a kids film)

Also if your not going to give a film a chance just because a film is animated or CG...i have nothing to say to you, ever.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Also if your not going to give a film a chance just because a film is animated or CG...i have nothing to say to you, ever.
    I second this.
    Watch Metropia, Renaissanse or Waltz with Bashir and tell me they are silly cartoons. (Not even gonna get into dozens of Japanese and Korean movies here).
    Last edited by fillow; 08-27-2019 at 04:01 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I like that they are doing a Disney/ Pixar cartoon. To me they are trying everything, Started with Ghosts which is like a resume for, "we can do some sound scapes and haunting moody stuff, it's be great with film." Didn't they have a internet film contest with Ghosts? That lead to all the Fincher work and an Oscar which open the door to everything. Documentaries, Netflix, Indie Films, HBO series, an Action film (which I know some of you didn't care for but they proved they can kill it!) They can choose anything they want, and as Artists it's really good to push yourself outside of your boundaries. So, of course now they have to do this Disney project. Who knows what direction this will go and that's okay. What's important is that they are thinking about the music in a different light, different feelings and different way. This will give them so much more in return in regards to composing development. Think about that.

And just in case their is a certain someone lurking to see what the fan base is saying about all this... I'm hoping they take on a space sci-fi film eventually! Something like Alien, 2001 or Event Horizon to give you a feel for the mood, direction and production of the film.
    Last edited by nmitchell86; 08-29-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    There is a difference to me between specifically working with another artist because you want to achieve something great: e.g., the obvious synergies in the relationship with Fincher seemed to validate the choice without question.

It's another thing entirely to become part of a mega-corporation movie factory machine. It's just a little too convenient for my tastes. I guess the point is, while the line between art and commerce is always going to be fuzzy, this gig seems to be clearly in the realm of commerce.
    Do you think Fincher's films were made by corporations any less soulless than Disney? Fox and Sony were hardly indie upstarts.

Fincher is a great director one of the best of his generation.

Guess who else is?

Pete Fucking Docter.

They aren't scoring a third Monster's Inc. film, they're scoring a new original film from one of the best creators in Western animation. It also appears to be a story about a musician, a jazz musician at that.

All of that points to Reznor and Ross very likely making something very different than what they've done before while collaborating one something that stands to be pretty damn good.
    Last edited by AlanMorlock; 08-28-2019 at 11:02 PM.