Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Soul (2020)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    It's really wild to see Soul pick up these regional awards in a year they went waaaaaaaay outside the box and composed a period big band / swing score.
    I think a lot of the time, the relative success of the film, critically or commercially has an impact on how the score is judged or even noticed, like I preferred the GWTDT score to Social Network personally but the film wasn’t as well received as TSN so it wasn’t as acclaimed. I think Soul is doing very well due to word of mouth even though it isn’t available except on Disney+ but Mank was far more niche and went a bit under the radar. A lot of the Soul score has got into my head and I love the Batiste jazz TRAR combo, I think it elevates both of them.

I just received an email to say my Soul score CD has been dispatched
    Last edited by WorzelG; 01-04-2021 at 07:48 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I think a lot of the time, the relative success of the film, critically or commercially has an impact on how the score is judged or even noticed, like I preferred the GWTDT score to Social Network personally but the film wasn’t as well received as TSN so it wasn’t as acclaimed. I think Soul is doing very well due to word of mouth even though it isn’t available except on Disney+ but Mank was far more niche and went a bit under the radar. A lot of the Soul score has got into my head and I love the Batiste jazz TRAR combo, I think it elevates both of them.
    I definitely agree with the Soul buzz having an effect. And I'm not at all suggesting the Soul score is not deserving of awards and accolades. For me personally I think it has more to do with my initial reaction to Mank ("holy shit how does this not win another Oscar?") and then 2 weeks later Soul asks me to hold its beer.
    Last edited by cdm; 01-04-2021 at 09:01 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I definitely agree with the Soul buzz having an effect. And I'm not at all suggesting the Soul score is not deserving of awards and accolades. For me personally I think it has more to do with my initial reaction to Mank ("holy shit how does this not win another Oscar?") and then 2 weeks later Soul asks me to hold it's beer.
    True, I love the Mank score too. But I think the Soul film and score have that ‘perfect storm’ quality to them of being uplifting and having the right message at a time when the world so very much needs that
    Last edited by WorzelG; 01-04-2021 at 09:10 AM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    It looks like Universal Music (who is distributing this CD) is using the same UPC for the Australia, UK, and EU versions of the CD: 0050087424251

Searching by UPC might help with sourcing a copy of the CD.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I love the movie! My kids (4 and 6) aren't interested yet. But I'll to watch it again later on.

To be frank, I'm not the biggest soundtrack fan, I didn't got all the way through of Mank, Vietnam War, Waves or Gone Girl. Or... even Ghosts 6.... I did love Social Network, Watchmen and Bird Box.

And I like this soundtrack. It's kinda weird to have all these small pieces. It makes it easier to listen to. Probably in my top 3 TR&AR soundtrack.

Also, me listening to Epiphany: "Wow! Trent is as good as Jon Batiste!! oh.. wait, it's Jon Batiste.";
    Last edited by PhoenixML; 01-10-2021 at 07:14 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Are the vinyl tracks different in any way in contrast to the digital release? Crossfades, etc?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Does anyone know, where i can buy the US edition CD? I found plenty of places to buy the Vinyl, but not many sell the CD...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    There is no US edition CD. It doesn't exist. However, you can buy an import CD.
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Does anyone know, where i can buy the US edition CD? I found plenty of places to buy the Vinyl, but not many sell the CD...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    There is no US edition CD. It doesn't exist. However, you can buy an import CD.
    Thanks a lot for your help!

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    There has not been a U.S. domestic CD release, and it doesn't appear that one will be forthcoming. If you want a CD, you'll have to import. Buying this one seems to be the cheapest option I've found so far. Comes out to about $18-19, shipped to the US:

https://amzn.to/2LKOBpd

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    There has not been a U.S. domestic CD release, and it doesn't appear that one will be forthcoming. If you want a CD, you'll have to import. Buying this one seems to be the cheapest option I've found so far. Comes out to about $18-19, shipped to the US:

https://amzn.to/2LKOBpd
    Awesome, thanks a lot!

i also saw the sweet Japanese release, but the shipping costs are criminal, i'll settle for the one you posted!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    We talked about Soul on my film podcast last week, and I got to give a quick breakdown of Trent & Atticus' score career and how beautifully it culminates in the "epiphany" sequence of Soul. Score discussion starts at 11:00, and my breakdown stars at 12:30. Enjoy!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000504694617
    Last edited by Toadflax; 01-15-2021 at 06:39 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I’ve been thinking about this scores Oscar chances and whether it was eligible and found an article, mainly about Hans Zimmer and Johnny Greenwood’s brushes with the rules, but apparently when this was written the music branch had a new rule that three or more composers could submit as a group. So hopefully this could happen
    https://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/os...er-1201909102/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    A podcast called Soundtracking UK interviews Trent and Atticus

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    There is a new "Soul of the City" short that is part of the Pixar's Popcorn program w/ a bit of TR/AR's piano work. I haven't listened enough to the official soundtrack to have it memorized but the music for the short doesn't quite sound like a track there. Can anyone else confirm? Maybe an alternate 'meditation'?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m0reta View Post
    There is a new "Soul of the City" short that is part of the Pixar's Popcorn program w/ a bit of TR/AR's piano work. I haven't listened enough to the official soundtrack to have it memorized but the music for the short doesn't quite sound like a track there. Can anyone else confirm? Maybe an alternate 'meditation'?
    came here for this, doesn’t sound like anything directly from the soundtrack. Outtake is my guess.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Yeah, my wife and I watched the Pixar Popcorn shorts on Friday night and she asked me "is that your boyfriend doing the music" (she likes to give me shit for how obsessed with him I am), but I wasn't sure. It certainly sounded like his piano playing, so we watched the credits and sure enough. I also didn't recognize it from the score, but like @m0reta said, I haven't yet listened to it enough to know for certain. I liked it though, so I hope that track surfaces eventually one way or another.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Most of the Pixar Popcorn mini-shorts seem to have been made at home by Pixar artists without access to original music nor voices. The few that have voices seem to be taken from outtakes. I'm going to guess that the music on Soul of the City is also an outtake. I would LOVE if Trent released an expanded SOUL soundtrack with outtakes like he did for Mank. Based on how all the major critic awards have given Soul the best score award over Mank, I'm going to also guess that the Oscar for best score will probably go to Soul. I hope that Mank wins for Best Song. As much as I also love that score as well, Soul seems to be the consensus for best movie score. We'll see, said the blind man.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I was really pleased to see that Disney are campaigning for TRAR AND Jon Batiste for original score for Soul. I listen to the whole thing a lot on my daily walks and it wouldn't be the same without the complementary styles. I hope the Oscars don't disqualify it. There's actually an interesting discussion attached to that tweet about the Oscars stupid rules

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I agree about the score, that's why I've listened to the digital files more than the vinyl because you get both flavors.

Has anyone figured out placement of the songs so you can put them in film order? I've thought about it once or twice as to retracking scores so they're in order - there's a small movement for it on the Internet - but because of the size they don't do many movies, and even then either really big ones or niche ones.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I agree about the score, that's why I've listened to the digital files more than the vinyl because you get both flavors.

Has anyone figured out placement of the songs so you can put them in film order? I've thought about it once or twice as to retracking scores so they're in order - there's a small movement for it on the Internet - but because of the size they don't do many movies, and even then either really big ones or niche ones.
    I thought the digital version was in order already?

anyway here is a Variery article that confirms the score has been deemed eligible for BAFTAs with all 3 composers listed so I guess we’ll have to see if the Oscars disqualify it or not
    https://variety.com/2021/film/awards...mi-1234888375/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I know TARGET doesnt disclose this, but is there any word on what the pressing number for Soul is (clear variant)?
    Last edited by psus2h; 01-31-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I bought the UK and Japanese CDs. As far as I can tell, these are the ones to get. The Japanese CD has 3 extra tracks, the UK has 1 extra track. The rest of the releases, EU, Germany, Australia, are just the basic tracks as released digitally in the US. Hopefully there will be a Spanish, Italian, and French CD releases. I like their jazzy End Credits songs, unique to each country. Does anyone know of any additional alternate End Credits songs? Or if this has been release on CD elsewhere not mentioned here?
    Also, regarding the vinyl, I bought the Batiste, and Clear & Black Reznor/Ross records. My pre-order for the black-vinyl Reznor score on Target is still backordered. And what's weirder, this was released as an "exclusive" and "Limited Edition of 500" black-vinyl for Disney credit -card owners. And this seems to be the same black vinyl that should eventually be widely released in the U.S. Also, seems like a very small batch was released on black vinyl? Anyone has any info on this? Confused as to why Disney released it as a "limited edition"...

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    My pre-order for the black-vinyl Reznor score on Target is still backordered. And what's weirder, this was released as an "exclusive" and "Limited Edition of 500" black-vinyl for Disney credit -card owners. And this seems to be the same black vinyl that should eventually be widely released in the U.S. Also, seems like a very small batch was released on black vinyl? Anyone has any info on this? Confused as to why Disney released it as a "limited edition"...
    The black vinyl does seem to be out of stock at the distributor level. Who knows if they'll do another pressing. I'm not sure how the general retail black vinyl differs from the "limited edition" Disney credit card version. Anyway, if you still want the black vinyl, it looks like Bull Moose has a few copies left at their stores, which they'll ship to you:

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/34839844...black-vinyl-lp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I thought the digital version was in order already?

anyway here is a Variery article that confirms the score has been deemed eligible for BAFTAs with all 3 composers listed so I guess we’ll have to see if the Oscars disqualify it or not
    https://variety.com/2021/film/awards...mi-1234888375/
    Yes, the score has officially been ruled eligible for the Oscar. A nomination would make it the heavy favorite to win. In fact, I would be shocked if it lost. The hard part is getting the nomination, which is far from given considering the music branch's preference for conventional scores. And, by the way, I actually prefer Mank's score, and it is too bad that the Soul score is kinda overshadowing it.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...om-1234897434/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Soul score is nominated for a Golden Globe (so is Mank). Soul is also nominated for Best Animated Picture.

https://www.goldenglobes.com/winners-nominees/best-original-score-motion-picture
    Last edited by cdm; 02-03-2021 at 09:08 AM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Finally saw the movie, and it was spellbinding. Hearing Trent playing piano during that scene was breathtaking.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Finally saw the movie, and it was spellbinding. Hearing Trent playing piano during that scene was breathtaking.
    that's actually batiste! there's a special feature on D+ where you can see he and trent discussing it and trent giving him some direction on how to play it. it's one of the rare crossover moments in the score.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that's actually batiste! there's a special feature on D+ where you can see he and trent discussing it and trent giving him some direction on how to play it. it's one of the rare crossover moments in the score.
    I think my favourite of the whole score is Pursuit \ Terry’s World as it combines both styles of music

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Whoa, I had no idea! I gotta watch those. I was bummed that the text in the Wikipedia and the IMDb trivia are almost identical, word-for-word. They're copies of a copy of a copy.