Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Soul (2020)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I wonder if they'll work with an orchestra. I can't fathom a Pixar movie with as densely an electronic score as TR/AR are known to do.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    New trailer tomorrow!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

That opening definitely sounds like TR/AR. Really beautiful stuff.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Foxx is so perfect for Pixar

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Interesting, I thought this was the film they were doing when I saw the trailer earlier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Release date pushed back to November 20, 2020

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Interview with a Awards Daily about various scoring projects
    https://www.awardsdaily.com/2020/05/...ng-pixar-film/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    https://www.indiewire.com/2020/06/so...re-1234570057/

Musician Jon Batiste composed the jazz score for the New York portion, while Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross composed the ethereal score for The Great Before
    Would be nice to see them actually collaborate on a track! (I also wish that they had with Mogwai on Before The Flood)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soma View Post
    https://www.indiewire.com/2020/06/so...re-1234570057/

Would be nice to see them actually collaborate on a track! (I also wish that they had with Mogwai on Before The Flood)
    Glad to read a bit more about Jon Batiste’s involvement, it’s like the press are so keen to either go, huh huh the NIN guy does Disney or shout Appropriation they’ve erased the poor guy’s involvement totally

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Glad to read a bit more about Jon Batiste’s involvement, it’s like the press are so keen to either go, huh huh the NIN guy does Disney or shout Appropriation they’ve erased the poor guy’s involvement totally
    Appropriation is a real thing, and having white artists take on roles that should have been for people of color is a real thing, when so few films center people of color (almost none from Pixar). So "shouting appropriation" is very often not only warranted, but critical for the advancement of people of color.

That said, I am very glad to learn these details about who is taking on what role in the film.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Appropriation is a real thing, and having white artists take on roles that should have been for people of color is a real thing, when so few films center people of color (almost none from Pixar). So "shouting appropriation" is very often not only warranted, but critical for the advancement of people of color.

That said, I am very glad to learn these details about who is taking on what role in the film.
    i agree about appropriation, and representation too, both my kids are autistic and I often get very annoyed thinking about how autistic people are presented in the media. I honestly don’t know enough about hiring in Hollywood to know the answers.

I just don’t think this is a good example, I’ve seen people on twitter talk about this and they clearly haven’t done any research to find out about Jon Batiste, effectively erasing his involvement - good job!
    this is the most annoying example, the guy doesn’t even admit he’s wrong even when a load of people correct him - yeah you’ve got your Hot Take in mate, now fuck off. One guy even says ‘shit they could have hired Jon Batiste’ and Todd Gilchrist just replies ‘wiseguy’. Um no, a guy who’s done a bit of research!
    Last edited by WorzelG; 07-01-2020 at 01:10 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    It sounds like they wanted a juxtaposition of tone and feeling with the music for the film, which I think is totally fair. It definitely doesn't strike me as "let's get the white guys to do the real work!"