Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Soul (2020)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I wonder if they'll work with an orchestra. I can't fathom a Pixar movie with as densely an electronic score as TR/AR are known to do.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    New trailer tomorrow!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

That opening definitely sounds like TR/AR. Really beautiful stuff.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Foxx is so perfect for Pixar

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Interesting, I thought this was the film they were doing when I saw the trailer earlier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Release date pushed back to November 20, 2020

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Interview with a Awards Daily about various scoring projects
    https://www.awardsdaily.com/2020/05/...ng-pixar-film/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    https://www.indiewire.com/2020/06/so...re-1234570057/

Musician Jon Batiste composed the jazz score for the New York portion, while Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross composed the ethereal score for The Great Before
    Would be nice to see them actually collaborate on a track! (I also wish that they had with Mogwai on Before The Flood)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soma View Post
    https://www.indiewire.com/2020/06/so...re-1234570057/

Would be nice to see them actually collaborate on a track! (I also wish that they had with Mogwai on Before The Flood)
    Glad to read a bit more about Jon Batiste’s involvement, it’s like the press are so keen to either go, huh huh the NIN guy does Disney or shout Appropriation they’ve erased the poor guy’s involvement totally

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Glad to read a bit more about Jon Batiste’s involvement, it’s like the press are so keen to either go, huh huh the NIN guy does Disney or shout Appropriation they’ve erased the poor guy’s involvement totally
    Appropriation is a real thing, and having white artists take on roles that should have been for people of color is a real thing, when so few films center people of color (almost none from Pixar). So "shouting appropriation" is very often not only warranted, but critical for the advancement of people of color.

That said, I am very glad to learn these details about who is taking on what role in the film.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Appropriation is a real thing, and having white artists take on roles that should have been for people of color is a real thing, when so few films center people of color (almost none from Pixar). So "shouting appropriation" is very often not only warranted, but critical for the advancement of people of color.

That said, I am very glad to learn these details about who is taking on what role in the film.
    i agree about appropriation, and representation too, both my kids are autistic and I often get very annoyed thinking about how autistic people are presented in the media. I honestly don’t know enough about hiring in Hollywood to know the answers.

I just don’t think this is a good example, I’ve seen people on twitter talk about this and they clearly haven’t done any research to find out about Jon Batiste, effectively erasing his involvement - good job!
    this is the most annoying example, the guy doesn’t even admit he’s wrong even when a load of people correct him - yeah you’ve got your Hot Take in mate, now fuck off. One guy even says ‘shit they could have hired Jon Batiste’ and Todd Gilchrist just replies ‘wiseguy’. Um no, a guy who’s done a bit of research!
    Last edited by WorzelG; 07-01-2020 at 01:10 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It sounds like they wanted a juxtaposition of tone and feeling with the music for the film, which I think is totally fair. It definitely doesn't strike me as "let's get the white guys to do the real work!"

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Disney is considering releasing Soul on Disney+

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Disney is considering releasing Soul on Disney+
    Variety article: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/b...us-1234769426/

Being disputed whether the claim is real or not but where there is smoke, there is fire, so I wouldn't doubt they will just release it there. Not sure how Mulan did with Disney charging $30, but this seems to be the logical course of action other than continue to delay the film.

I want to see when the pre-order pops up on NIN.com so they can take my $$$.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post

That opening definitely sounds like TR/AR. Really beautiful stuff.
    Is it me, or does anybody else find Jamie Foxx extremely wooden as an actor? I just can't get into him at all. And whenever he's on a talk show, he seems arrogant, showing off how 'talented' he is all the time.

Probably skip this film TBH, though I'll check the score.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Hitting Disney+ on Christmas.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

hope the score follows.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well that sucks, I was hoping to see this film with my kid in the cinema with equal hype from both of us...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

especially for one coming out this year, whew.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Well that sucks, I was hoping to see this film with my kid in the cinema with equal hype from both of us...
    Well, now you can cuddle up on the couch in the comfort of your own living room on Christmas day and watch it with your kid. That sounds like it has potential to be special. Maybe even more so than seeing it in the theater?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Nice little article about the music of Soul
    https://freshfiction.tv/interview-mu...f-pixars-soul/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    And another one, they both mention a point where the 2 styles of music collide and how it’s a centre point

https://collider.com/soul-pixar-pete...ray-interview/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    let the memes begin
    Last edited by Wulgaren; 10-11-2020 at 02:30 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulgaren View Post
    let the memes begin
    the least I could do

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    the least I could do

It took me ages to work out what was going on there and enlarge the picture!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Apparently Soul has been played at the London Film Institute and is getting great reviews. Why are Disney just putting it on their streaming service where it may well be forgotten about? To be fair I’ll probably sign up for a month of Disney+ to watch it and I might catch the Mandalorian too which I haven’t even seen yet despite being in the Star Wars Fan Club in 1983/4!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Apparently Soul has been played at the London Film Institute and is getting great reviews. Why are Disney just putting it on their streaming service where it may well be forgotten about? To be fair I’ll probably sign up for a month of Disney+ to watch it and I might catch the Mandalorian too which I haven’t even seen yet despite being in the Star Wars Fan Club in 1983/4!
    Why would it get forgotten? And what other option do they have right now? Movie theaters aren't really a thing at the moment. They'll likely put it on the service and charge an extra $30 like they did with Mulan. I'm sure it'll do fine. Parents are always desperate for something new to entertain their children.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulgaren View Post
    let the memes begin
    He looks like he's about to send them all to bed without their supper.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    And what other option do they have right now?
    They could push it until next year like every other major theatrical release. I'm not sure why they've chosen not to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    They'll likely put it on the service and charge an extra $30 like they did with Mulan.
    Actually, in the Variety article, they said that Soul will be available to all subscribers at no additional charge. Not a premium add-on like Mulan.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Well, now you can cuddle up on the couch in the comfort of your own living room on Christmas day and watch it with your kid. That sounds like it has potential to be special. Maybe even more so than seeing it in the theater?
    If only life were so idyllic.

Nevertheless I'm glad they've incorporated another musician to do the jazz elements, I'm excited to see their work in another context like this.