Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Soul (2020)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMorlock View Post

Pete Fucking Docter.
    Holy crap. I hadn't read it was Pete Docter directing. He's literally the best Pixar has!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Dear World, I can hardly recognize you anymore....

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Trent promised "big things" in 2019....So far we have a Miley Cyrus shirt, a Woodstock 94 shirt that looks like a Hot Topic bootleg, and a Disney Pixar film score....I swear Trent may have reached Maynard levels of trolling his fanbase in 2019.....
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 08-30-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Last I checked there’s still four more months in the year.
    I’m not huge on the scores; I like them well enough, but prefer NIN material. But, I am intrigued by the Pixar angle. This is new territory that could be something new and fresh.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Don't forget Watchmen score. The show airs this fall, so the music will likely be out around the same time.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    I'm just thinking how many variant's of the TR/AR score there will be on vinyl with Disney at the helm. lmao. #PictureDiscs

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Trent promised "big things" in 2019....So far we have a Miley Cyrus shirt, a Woodstock 94 shirt that looks like a Hot Topic bootleg, and a Disney Pixar film score....I swear Trent may have reached Maynard levels of trolling his fanbase in 2019.....
    If you're referring to that post on nin.com back in January, he said "lots coming in 2019".

Which...I guess kind of depends on one's definition of "lots". Like...two shirts, two scores, and the announcement of more scores to come COULD be considered "lots". This IS the dude who went six years without releasing a NIN album...

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Like...two shirts, two scores, and the announcement of more scores to come COULD be considered "lots".
    Remember, it was originally three scores they were going to be coming out with this year, but The Woman In The Window got pushed back to next year.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Remember, it was originally three scores they were going to be coming out with this year, but The Woman In The Window got pushed back to next year.
    Right. See, I would consider three film scores a lot. He never said "lots of Nine Inch Nails coming in 2019".

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Trent promised "big things" in 2019
    Show me the last time Trent actually said he promised something.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Right. See, I would consider three film scores a lot. He never said "lots of Nine Inch Nails coming in 2019".
    But he did make the post on NIN.com. Anyway, if we've been paying attention at all over the past two decades, when TR makes a prediction about something more than ~1 year out, it's about 50-50 if the thing will ever happen and almost a guarantee that it won't happen on the envisioned timeline. I don't hold it against him though, that's like 90% of all artists.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    But he did make the post on NIN.com.
    Which means nothing. He's been posting about various side projects on there for a long time.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    1. We've all been around here long enough to know you have to let shit happen when it's gonna happen, regardless of vague TR comments.
    2. Expectations of when this or that are going to be released usually leads to disappointment.

If you still want to get caught up in the 2019 comment I'd note there are still 3+ months left in the year. And if Dec 31 rolls around and we still have nothing new...refer again to point 1.
    Last edited by cdm; 09-26-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Apparently Jon Batiste is writing jazz music for this so it's kinda hard to gauge who did the music in this teaser. It's easy to assume none of it is TR/AR but there's really no way to know how far they're going to deviate from their sound for this. I'm probably excited to hear it as much and Trent is to honk on the sax.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post

Apparently Jon Batiste is writing jazz music for this so it's kinda hard to gauge who did the music in this teaser. It's easy to assume none of it is TR/AR but there's really no way to know how far they're going to deviate from their sound for this. I'm probably excited to hear it as much and Trent is to honk on the sax.
    I'm staring to think TR took this gig because he'd get to use LOADS of sax lol.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I'm staring to think TR took this gig because he'd get to use LOADS of sax lol.
    100% agreed. <Homer Simpson Saxamaphone gif>

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

It's "Overture" by AJR. Not sure of the version used, though:

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Maybe this score will be similar to Before the Flood in that they'll be sharing their scoring duties with Jon Batiste and potentially someone else?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Maybe this score will be similar to Before the Flood in that they'll be sharing their scoring duties with Jon Batiste and potentially someone else?
    I would love that, but my guess is that this is going to be one of their more hands off projects. With someone else composing theme-appropriate music, I expect TR/AR are more going to be filing in the gaps and adding atmosphere to some of the darker-toned afterlife moments.

I hope I'm wrong, but all I'm expecting 25ish minutes of fairly low profile drones and light piano. That said, anything more will be a very welcome surprise!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I would love that, but my guess is that this is going to be one of their more hands off projects. With someone else composing theme-appropriate music, I expect TR/AR are more going to be filing in the gaps and adding atmosphere to some of the darker-toned afterlife moments.

I hope I'm wrong, but all I'm expecting 25ish minutes of fairly low profile drones and light piano. That said, anything more will be a very welcome surprise!
    Doesn't feel like something they would do, other than on collaborations like Before The Flood. But then it's a collab.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    Doesn't feel like something they would do, other than on collaborations like Before The Flood. But then it's a collab.
    That's what they kinda did for Mid 90s

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    That's what they kinda did for Mid 90s
    Someone composed a score that was used more ? Didn't notice that while watching.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Someone composed a score that was used more ? Didn't notice that while watching.
    No, but they filled the gaps left by the third-party music sources. Their score wasn't a primary one there.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    No, but they filled the gaps left by the third-party music sources. Their score wasn't a primary one there.
    Well then, it's kind of different, they do all the compositions, even it's not the main focus. Each scene needs its own construction.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Apparently Jon Batiste is writing jazz music for this so it's kinda hard to gauge who did the music in this teaser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    It's "Overture" by AJR. Not sure of the version used, though.
    IMDB is crediting Dylan C. Jones as the composer of the trailer music.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    IMDB is crediting Dylan C. Jones as the composer of the trailer music.
    21 year old (!) composer and sound designer who already has worked on 17 projects. He is not the composer of the song itself, but evidently constructed the sound collage for the trailer. If you Shazam the track, you get AJR (as of now).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    https://m.imgur.com/3olrdKM

looks like a before the flood situation

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    https://m.imgur.com/3olrdKM

looks like a before the flood situation
    from what i can gather, questlove is in the movie, he didn't really do anything for the music other than (potentially) consult.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    from what i can gather, questlove is in the movie, he didn't really do anything for the music other than (potentially) consult.
    I was more thinking of the "Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross & Jon Baptiste" thing, but yeah

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I was more thinking of the "Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross & Jon Baptiste" thing, but yeah
    ah, sorry. i misunderstood. it seems like baptiste will likely be responsible for the jazz portions while TR+AR will be responsible for the other stuff, but i guess we'll all have to wait and see!