Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Results 151 to 177 of 177

Thread: The Matrix

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Posts
    2,828
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'll agree that the action sequences we're poorly executed and the music was frustrating but it's biggest issue was that the idea that the couple that must unite against everyone's will to destroy the establishment is a straight white one is obviously very silly and flies in the face of the movies broader theme about rejecting binaries.


    I still liked it just fine and thought it punched well above it's weight creativity and philosophically than other blockbuster franchise faire.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I'll agree that the action sequences we're poorly executed and the music was frustrating but it's biggest issue was that the idea that the couple that must unite against everyone's will to destroy the establishment is a straight white one is obviously very silly and flies in the face of the movies broader theme about rejecting binaries.


    I still liked it just fine and thought it punched well above it's weight creativity and philosophically than other blockbuster franchise faire.
    They could've rewritten both the Smith and Morpheus parts to drive the binary critique home while also not undermining the previous movies. The previous trilogy made it clear that Neo's role as the One could only be fulfilled through the influence of the relationships he has with both Trinity and Smith. So it is a triad and not a dyad that makes the One - not a binary relationship. With that I mean the One as was prophesied, not the One as it was designed. Furthermore, the triad would've mirrored the relationship between the Oracle, the Architect and the Analyst.

    And with Morpheus they could've explored the psychosocial perspectives on binaries. The only "true" binary is that something either exists or doesn't exist. But with the new Morpheus they could've shown that something affectively still exists if we treat it as such. Not only did Neo more or less will the new Morpheus into existence, but the Prophecy became very much real because people like the old Morpheus had faith in it. And for Smith it was the power to believe in his own being that made him who he was. With the new Morpheus being an amalgam of Neo's understanding of both Morpheus and Smith, their beliefs had the potential to create an interesting duality that could've resulted into something truly new. It really is a shame that they just left that on the table.

    With these changes it probably would've been more interesting if Bugs and Morpheus had been the protagonists in stead of Neo; and if the awareness of the relationships between Neo, Trinity and Smith had been the mcguffin. And then have Sati functionally take on the role of a new Oracle so she isn't just... there. That also could've provided the opportunity for the rebelling machines to have some actual bearing on the story.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Incredible. Loved every minute once I realized what it was doing.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    8,069
    Mentioned
    592 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
    Incredible. Loved every minute once I realized what it was doing.
    Do i need to rewatch the old ones before watching this one?

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Do i need to rewatch the old ones before watching this one?
    Not really. It's a meta piece. You'd just need to understand that The Matrix was made by transgender siblings and has been appropriated by spiteful alt-right incels. The following resurge in popularity - in the Netflix and MCU era - motivated the studio to develop new The Matrix movies and Lana went "fuck it, I'll do it myself so at least those assholes will hate it while I also give the studio exactly what they say they supposedly want".

    It might also help to have some idea of their show Sense8, if you'd like to appreciate the headspace Resurrections was made in.
    Last edited by stankeybearlover; 12-25-2021 at 04:06 PM. Reason: sense8

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    8,069
    Mentioned
    592 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stankeybearlover View Post
    Not really. It's a meta piece. You'd just need to understand that The Matrix was made by transgender siblings and has been appropriated by spiteful alt-right incels. The following resurge in popularity - in the Netflix and MCU era - motivated the studio to develop new The Matrix movies and Lana went "fuck it, I'll do it myself so at least those assholes will hate it while I also give the studio exactly what they say they supposedly want".

    It might also help to have some idea of their show Sense8, if you'd like to appreciate the headspace Resurrections was made in.
    I LOOOOOVE Sense8.
    @fillow , why the faceplam? DO I need to rewatch 1-3?

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stowe, VT
    Posts
    1,320
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Do i need to rewatch the old ones before watching this one?
    Having not seen 2 and 3 in well over a decade, I rewatched them before watching the new one. I'm glad I did because I had very little memory of them. I also enjoyed rewatching them a lot more than I did the first time around.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    6,171
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    I watched it last night and as soon as "Warner Brothers is telling us to make this sequel" was spoken aloud I was put on guard. I get that it's meta but you don't need to be that meta.

    Spoiler: Morpheus is a program but it Morpheus and Smith (They even call him Agent Smith at one point) was an interesting idea.

    Smith being reprogrammed to be a foil was fun. It didn't seem to be that way at first, he seemed too aware, but then he explicitly says as much near the end.

    Seeing an agent give the body back to the program was really neat and actually something that a podcast I was listening to last week was wondering about during their rewatch of the trilogy.

    I kind of love that Trinity had to save Neo and be a One there for a bit. "I'm not doing this!" yeah no shit Sherlock, you're the one dangling.


    The music was more boring than I feared after reading some comments in here. The use of horns in the original series for the theme is iconic to a level that is basically if you don't have that cue, you're not really a Matrix movie. That's it, that's the critique. It sounded too safe and basically indistinguishable from most middle-of-the-road films now. Very sad on that front. Did Don Davis piss someone off?

    I will be watching it again because it's possible that I need to give it some time to breathe outside of some negative feelings I had going in. Also I watched it without the fam so I'm going to have to pretend I have no idea what's going on.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Anyone else catch this? Idk if it's still active but apparently they're giving out free marketing beanies.

    https://www.hbomax.com/beanie

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,352
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I watched it last night and as soon as "Warner Brothers is telling us to make this sequel" was spoken aloud I was put on guard. I get that it's meta but you don't need to be that meta.
    For real, I was having Space Jam ANL flashbacks.

    The Matrix should not in any way remind me of fucking Space Jam A New Legacy. Oooof.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    1,077
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Anyone else catch this? Idk if it's still active but apparently they're giving out free marketing beanies.

    https://www.hbomax.com/beanie
    This is great, thanks for the heads up!

  12. #162
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    6,171
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)




    I liked both of these and they did help organize some thoughts I had about the movie. I'm actually looking forward to the second viewing now so that's a net positive.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    8,069
    Mentioned
    592 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I liked both of these and they did help organize some thoughts I had about the movie. I'm actually looking forward to the second viewing now so that's a net positive.
    Could somebody please to tell me if I need to rewatch the fucking goddamn first three, or not?
    Like...Please?

  14. #164
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    6,171
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    eh, I don't think it's required. whatever they think you need to know about the first three they'll literally show you on the screen every fucking time they want to do a call-back so you won't miss it.

    There's some other little things but honestly unless they make another sequel you don't need any of it.

    edit: that sounds harsh but I was just tired of seeing the flashbacks on the screen every time. It's like, you're trusting us to get every other little thing in the film so why over-explain these parts?
    Last edited by allegate; 12-27-2021 at 10:50 AM.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Could somebody please to tell me if I need to rewatch the fucking goddamn first three, or not?
    Like...Please?
    I'd say get a time machine, go back and watch the first one and be blown away (at least 3 times in the theater like I did). Then go watch the sequels once each and think they weren't good but there were some cool scenes in them.

    EDIT: Couldn't delete but I thought it was a newbie asking if he/she needed to watch the first three....whoops
    Last edited by Maximilian; 12-27-2021 at 04:51 AM.

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,462
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Honestly, I'm not sure how you can enjoy this one without having seen the first three movies. The first one is definitely a MUST SEE even if you don't plan on watching the new one I was surrpised how well it still holds up in most parts after not seeing it for more than 10 years.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    952
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Could somebody please to tell me if I need to rewatch the fucking goddamn first three, or not?
    Like...Please?
    No. I didn't, you'll get it, as long as you remember the big moments from them.

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Posts
    1,979
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Could somebody please to tell me if I need to rewatch the fucking goddamn first three, or not?
    Like...Please?
    I haven't seen the sequels since they were in theaters and I was ok.

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Nobody needs to watch the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies ever for any reason whatsoever

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    8,228
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Could somebody please to tell me if I need to rewatch the fucking goddamn first three, or not?
    Like...Please?
    If you want to, sure. If not, don’t. They’re movies. If you don’t, somehow you’ll survive.

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,210
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I think you need to rewatch at least the first one. I had to explain everything to members of my family who hadn’t recently watched the originals.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    6,171
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    I've changed my mind - it's important that you watch them because my friend asked me yesterday after watching it "I didn't get the whole colorful people fight in the warehouse, was I supposed to know who they were? French dude?!?" I replied that it was the Merovingian and his rogue programs and his response was "Who's that".

    The orgasm cake guy.

    Who? Mero what's it? That helps. NOT.

    lol, how do you not remember that scene? gives the girl a cake that makes her orgasm and it pisses off his hot Monica Belluci wife.

    Nope, don't remember that at all.

    So, yeah, maybe at least a primer video on YouTube?

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,526
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    garbage




    This movie only further affirms that we are living in the worst timeline.

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    952
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I've changed my mind - it's important that you watch them because my friend asked me yesterday after watching it "I didn't get the whole colorful people fight in the warehouse, was I supposed to know who they were? French dude?!?" I replied that it was the Merovingian and his rogue programs and his response was "Who's that".
    The orgasm cake guy.

    Who? Mero what's it? That helps. NOT.

    lol, how do you not remember that scene? gives the girl a cake that makes her orgasm and it pisses off his hot Monica Belluci wife.

    Nope, don't remember that at all.

    So, yeah, maybe at least a primer video on YouTube?
    Oh, that's who that was......

    Yeah, I didn't remember who he was, but remembering that wouldn't have added anything to the scene really. At least for me anyways.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    6,171
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    I need to watch it again because that scene was a mess with him running around spouting actual nonsense.

  26. #176
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed the movie. But it was definitely very unusual and I can understand how some people don't like it at all. I feel like there's a certain point where the movie makes it clear that it is a middle finger towards reboot/sequel culture and Warner Bros. as well as everyone who doesn't want to accept that the franchise has always been queer, campy, and somewhat silly. All of this is just dialed up. After that it's essentially Lana Wachowski saying "I'm just gonna do whatever the hell I want - do you want to come along?" and I was perfectly fine with that. Will probably watch it again soon.

  27. #177
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,893
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Naturally this movie was a very low hanging fruit for Pitch Meetings


Posting Permissions