Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Matrix

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'll agree that the action sequences we're poorly executed and the music was frustrating but it's biggest issue was that the idea that the couple that must unite against everyone's will to destroy the establishment is a straight white one is obviously very silly and flies in the face of the movies broader theme about rejecting binaries.

I still liked it just fine and thought it punched well above it's weight creativity and philosophically than other blockbuster franchise faire.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I'll agree that the action sequences we're poorly executed and the music was frustrating but it's biggest issue was that the idea that the couple that must unite against everyone's will to destroy the establishment is a straight white one is obviously very silly and flies in the face of the movies broader theme about rejecting binaries.

I still liked it just fine and thought it punched well above it's weight creativity and philosophically than other blockbuster franchise faire.
    They could've rewritten both the Smith and Morpheus parts to drive the binary critique home while also not undermining the previous movies. The previous trilogy made it clear that Neo's role as the One could only be fulfilled through the influence of the relationships he has with both Trinity and Smith. So it is a triad and not a dyad that makes the One - not a binary relationship. With that I mean the One as was prophesied, not the One as it was designed. Furthermore, the triad would've mirrored the relationship between the Oracle, the Architect and the Analyst.

And with Morpheus they could've explored the psychosocial perspectives on binaries. The only "true" binary is that something either exists or doesn't exist. But with the new Morpheus they could've shown that something affectively still exists if we treat it as such. Not only did Neo more or less will the new Morpheus into existence, but the Prophecy became very much real because people like the old Morpheus had faith in it. And for Smith it was the power to believe in his own being that made him who he was. With the new Morpheus being an amalgam of Neo's understanding of both Morpheus and Smith, their beliefs had the potential to create an interesting duality that could've resulted into something truly new. It really is a shame that they just left that on the table.

With these changes it probably would've been more interesting if Bugs and Morpheus had been the protagonists in stead of Neo; and if the awareness of the relationships between Neo, Trinity and Smith had been the mcguffin. And then have Sati functionally take on the role of a new Oracle so she isn't just... there. That also could've provided the opportunity for the rebelling machines to have some actual bearing on the story.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Incredible. Loved every minute once I realized what it was doing.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
    Incredible. Loved every minute once I realized what it was doing.
    Do i need to rewatch the old ones before watching this one?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Not really. It's a meta piece. You'd just need to understand that The Matrix was made by transgender siblings and has been appropriated by spiteful alt-right incels. The following resurge in popularity - in the Netflix and MCU era - motivated the studio to develop new The Matrix movies and Lana went "fuck it, I'll do it myself so at least those assholes will hate it while I also give the studio exactly what they say they supposedly want".

It might also help to have some idea of their show Sense8, if you'd like to appreciate the headspace Resurrections was made in.
    Last edited by stankeybearlover; 12-25-2021 at 03:06 PM. Reason: sense8

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stankeybearlover View Post
    Not really. It's a meta piece. You'd just need to understand that The Matrix was made by transgender siblings and has been appropriated by spiteful alt-right incels. The following resurge in popularity - in the Netflix and MCU era - motivated the studio to develop new The Matrix movies and Lana went "fuck it, I'll do it myself so at least those assholes will hate it while I also give the studio exactly what they say they supposedly want".

It might also help to have some idea of their show Sense8, if you'd like to appreciate the headspace Resurrections was made in.
    I LOOOOOVE Sense8.
    @fillow , why the faceplam? DO I need to rewatch 1-3?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Having not seen 2 and 3 in well over a decade, I rewatched them before watching the new one. I'm glad I did because I had very little memory of them. I also enjoyed rewatching them a lot more than I did the first time around.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I watched it last night and as soon as "Warner Brothers is telling us to make this sequel" was spoken aloud I was put on guard. I get that it's meta but you don't need to be that meta.

Spoiler: Morpheus is a program but it Morpheus and Smith (They even call him Agent Smith at one point) was an interesting idea.

Smith being reprogrammed to be a foil was fun. It didn't seem to be that way at first, he seemed too aware, but then he explicitly says as much near the end.

Seeing an agent give the body back to the program was really neat and actually something that a podcast I was listening to last week was wondering about during their rewatch of the trilogy.

I kind of love that Trinity had to save Neo and be a One there for a bit. "I'm not doing this!" yeah no shit Sherlock, you're the one dangling.

The music was more boring than I feared after reading some comments in here. The use of horns in the original series for the theme is iconic to a level that is basically if you don't have that cue, you're not really a Matrix movie. That's it, that's the critique. It sounded too safe and basically indistinguishable from most middle-of-the-road films now. Very sad on that front. Did Don Davis piss someone off?

I will be watching it again because it's possible that I need to give it some time to breathe outside of some negative feelings I had going in. Also I watched it without the fam so I'm going to have to pretend I have no idea what's going on.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Anyone else catch this? Idk if it's still active but apparently they're giving out free marketing beanies.

https://www.hbomax.com/beanie

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I watched it last night and as soon as "Warner Brothers is telling us to make this sequel" was spoken aloud I was put on guard. I get that it's meta but you don't need to be that meta.
    For real, I was having Space Jam ANL flashbacks.

The Matrix should not in any way remind me of fucking Space Jam A New Legacy. Oooof.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Anyone else catch this? Idk if it's still active but apparently they're giving out free marketing beanies.

https://www.hbomax.com/beanie
    This is great, thanks for the heads up!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I liked both of these and they did help organize some thoughts I had about the movie. I'm actually looking forward to the second viewing now so that's a net positive.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I liked both of these and they did help organize some thoughts I had about the movie. I'm actually looking forward to the second viewing now so that's a net positive.
    Could somebody please to tell me if I need to rewatch the fucking goddamn first three, or not?
    Like...Please?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    eh, I don't think it's required. whatever they think you need to know about the first three they'll literally show you on the screen every fucking time they want to do a call-back so you won't miss it.

There's some other little things but honestly unless they make another sequel you don't need any of it.

edit: that sounds harsh but I was just tired of seeing the flashbacks on the screen every time. It's like, you're trusting us to get every other little thing in the film so why over-explain these parts?
    Last edited by allegate; 12-27-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Could somebody please to tell me if I need to rewatch the fucking goddamn first three, or not?
    Like...Please?
    I'd say get a time machine, go back and watch the first one and be blown away (at least 3 times in the theater like I did). Then go watch the sequels once each and think they weren't good but there were some cool scenes in them.

EDIT: Couldn't delete but I thought it was a newbie asking if he/she needed to watch the first three....whoops
    Last edited by Maximilian; 12-27-2021 at 03:51 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Honestly, I'm not sure how you can enjoy this one without having seen the first three movies. The first one is definitely a MUST SEE even if you don't plan on watching the new one I was surrpised how well it still holds up in most parts after not seeing it for more than 10 years.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Like...Please?
    No. I didn't, you'll get it, as long as you remember the big moments from them.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Like...Please?
    I haven't seen the sequels since they were in theaters and I was ok.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Nobody needs to watch the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies ever for any reason whatsoever

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Like...Please?
    If you want to, sure. If not, don’t. They’re movies. If you don’t, somehow you’ll survive.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I think you need to rewatch at least the first one. I had to explain everything to members of my family who hadn’t recently watched the originals.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I've changed my mind - it's important that you watch them because my friend asked me yesterday after watching it "I didn't get the whole colorful people fight in the warehouse, was I supposed to know who they were? French dude?!?" I replied that it was the Merovingian and his rogue programs and his response was "Who's that".

The orgasm cake guy.

Who? Mero what's it? That helps. NOT.

lol, how do you not remember that scene? gives the girl a cake that makes her orgasm and it pisses off his hot Monica Belluci wife.

Nope, don't remember that at all.

So, yeah, maybe at least a primer video on YouTube?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    garbage

This movie only further affirms that we are living in the worst timeline.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I've changed my mind - it's important that you watch them because my friend asked me yesterday after watching it "I didn't get the whole colorful people fight in the warehouse, was I supposed to know who they were? French dude?!?" I replied that it was the Merovingian and his rogue programs and his response was "Who's that".
    The orgasm cake guy.

Who? Mero what's it? That helps. NOT.

lol, how do you not remember that scene? gives the girl a cake that makes her orgasm and it pisses off his hot Monica Belluci wife.

Nope, don't remember that at all.

So, yeah, maybe at least a primer video on YouTube?
    Oh, that's who that was......

Yeah, I didn't remember who he was, but remembering that wouldn't have added anything to the scene really. At least for me anyways.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I need to watch it again because that scene was a mess with him running around spouting actual nonsense.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed the movie. But it was definitely very unusual and I can understand how some people don't like it at all. I feel like there's a certain point where the movie makes it clear that it is a middle finger towards reboot/sequel culture and Warner Bros. as well as everyone who doesn't want to accept that the franchise has always been queer, campy, and somewhat silly. All of this is just dialed up. After that it's essentially Lana Wachowski saying "I'm just gonna do whatever the hell I want - do you want to come along?" and I was perfectly fine with that. Will probably watch it again soon.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Naturally this movie was a very low hanging fruit for Pitch Meetings

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Saw the film tonight (blame Omicron for my lateness)

I thought it was a better film than Revolutions (which isn’t saying much) My girlfriend and I watched all three films plus The Animatrix beforehand as well whilst we waited for things to calm down a bit. I think that really helped my enjoyment.

It felt like the Force Awakens of Matrix films, but also knew what it was doing so much that it worked for me. I’m a massive fan of Dan Harmon and meta situations so I think I just relished how inside itself it was (I wonder what he would think of it)

Also NPH absolutely kicked ass, he’s crazy underrated as a serious actor (Gone Girl anyone?)

Could’ve done without the “omg” shit though, yikes

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just finished watching it, and I also watched the first 3 + Animatrix before diving it... I enjoyed it fine. Perhaps a bit too much "on the surface"... and now I want an Animatrix-style of the past 60years.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)