Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Matrix

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Fountain of youth.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Hm, the whole trailer feels very un-Matrix to me or at least I don't get the feeling at all. This could be John Wick 4 and I wouldn't have really noticed it, if there weren't some sci-fi shots in this. And I too would have prefered to have Neo not look like John, but I'm pretty sure this has to do with both movies being filmed in Berlin very close to each other.

Let's see... love me some Jefferson Airplane though.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Hm, the whole trailer feels very un-Matrix to me or at least I don't get the feeling at all. This could be John Wick 4 and I wouldn't have really noticed it, if there weren't some sci-fi shots in this. And I too would have prefered to have Neo not look like John, but I'm pretty sure this has to do with both movies being filmed in Berlin very close to each other.

Let's see... love me some Jefferson Airplane though.
    I like the Matrix but did we really need another sequel 18 years later? I'll check it out though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I like the Matrix but did we really need another sequel 18 years later? I'll check it out though.
    I mean, have you seen the state of the film industry lately in terms of remakes/returns? It was inevitable, especially for such a massive Warner Brothers success.

I’m getting big ‘Force Awakens’ rehash vibes from this, is it going to be just fan service or is it going to be cleverer than that?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It has always, always, always been like that. Did you expect them to never make another matrix movie?

Looks pretty good so far.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I have to be honest, I found the trailer for Resurrections kind of jarring on the cinematography front and some of the visual effects look as crappy as the burly brawl. I can excuse the earlier movies for being products of their time but damn i figured 2021 CG would be an improvement?

Now i guess i have to reckon with the fact that this is a movie coming almost 20 years after the last one, so it's bound to look a little different just due to modern filming techniques and practices. What i can't get over though is the absence of any kind of synergy with the other movies. If you had told me this was a sequel to Limitless well.....

So that felt a bit disappointing to see but I'm still curious and interested in how the whole thing is going to play out. They need to really bring it on the story, aesthetics, acting and music the latter of which I'm also a little worried about as it doesn't look like Don Davis has returned to score, on the IMDB page for the movie it lists music by Johnny Klimek and Tom Tykwer. I'm sure they're capable and will bring back the familiar motifs along with something new, I just hope I'll like it.

Not having Hugo Weaving/Smith around doesn't really bother me but the absence of Laurence Fishburne will definitely be felt.

So yeah that's where I'm at, I think I'll go watch the original trilogy and possibly Animatrix again before it comes out.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 09-11-2021 at 05:26 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @thelastdisciple I'm afraid it's like I said a page or two ago.

No production studio is going to make a movie that requires you to have seen a 20 year old movie.
    Most moviegoers are 18-24.
    There will be SOME fan service and Easter eggs in the NT, I'd wager, but the bottom line is that this is, ultimately, a soft reboot.

And I'll bet the effects are cool. If I were running this thing, groundbreaking effects would be damn near THE most important thing, second only to a coherent plot. Also, this IS the FIRST trailer.
    They may have some more cards up their sleeves.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I have to be honest, I found the trailer for Resurrections kind of jarring on the cinematography front and some of the visual effects look as crappy as the burly brawl. I can excuse the earlier movies for being products of their time but damn i figured 2021 CG would be an improvement?

Now i guess i have to reckon with the fact that this is a movie coming almost 20 years after the last one, so it's bound to look a little different just due to modern filming techniques and practices. What i can't get over though is the absence of any kind of synergy with the other movies. If you had told me this was a sequel to Limitless well.....

So that felt a bit disappointing to see but I'm still curious and interested in how the whole thing is going to play out. They need to really bring it on the story, aesthetics, acting and music the latter of which I'm also a little worried about as it doesn't look like Don Davis has returned to score, on the IMDB page for the movie it lists music by Johnny Klimek and Tom Tykwer. I'm sure they're capable and will bring back the familiar motifs along with something new, I just hope I'll like it.

Not having Hugo Weaving/Smith around doesn't really bother me but the absence of Laurence Fishburne will definitely be felt.

So yeah that's where I'm at, I think I'll go watch the original trilogy and possibly Animatrix again before it comes out.
    Wait, no agent Smith in this one either? I guess I just assumed he'd be back, that's a bummer.

I too felt the cinematography to be a bit off in the trailer. At the very least, I hope that can be explained away by this being another version of the Matrix or something. I mean there's no reason a computer program couldn't change appearance in a later version. But those first three movies all had that drab green tint that was perfect for them. This trailer kind of seemed to emphasize the whole red and blue thing so maybe they're going that route for the color grading too? Neil Patrick Harris has blue glasses for chrissakes.

I really don't care that much about the graphics as long as they're not too shit. It's the story that'll make or break the movie for me. Part of me hopes they get crazy with it and do something totally unexpected. I just really hope the whole red/blue pill thing doesn't end up being some political metaphor or something. Nothing has given me that impression so far but it is 2021 after all.

Neodammerung will be missed, Don Davis killed it. I really don't care how long Neo's hair is, that's silly. Yeah he looks like John Wick but that's also just how Keanu looks most of the time these days. He plays more than one character with that look but John Wick is popular so that's all people see.

I'm going in with low expectations, hopefully it'll warrant it's existence.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The Matrix still grabs people's attention. Seeing Malignant last night, there were some loud af people in the theater, and the moment this trailer came on, everyone went completely silent and after it was over. The trailer hits very different when you see it on the big screen.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    The driving motivation for Lana Wachowski in bringing back Neo and Trinity.

https://screenrant.com/matrix-4-resu...-director-why/

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @thelastdisciple I'm afraid it's like I said a page or two ago.

No production studio is going to make a movie that requires you to have seen a 20 year old movie.
    There will be SOME fan service and Easter eggs in the NT, I'd wager, but the bottom line is that this is, ultimately, a soft reboot.

And I'll bet the effects are cool. If I were running this thing, groundbreaking effects would be damn near THE most important thing, second only to a coherent plot. Also, this IS the FIRST trailer.
    They may have some more cards up their sleeves.
    The whole thing feels cheap. You say there will be SOME fan service and easter eggs, yet when I watch the trailer ALL I see is fan service and easter eggs. Once again, we have the case of the memberries. A bunch of nostalgic shit packed into a trailer, so of course we feel it's cool, because it's just a cheap exploitation of nostalgia, and while the movie can throw a 180 at us, so far it seems like it's going to be a 360. I admit, if it turns out that this cheap trailer was to lure in everyone they possibly can through nostalgia, and then the movie ends up being full of original ideas instead of fan service, I have to applaud them - but the state of the movie, gaming or even music industry suggests otherwise.

It's also weird how colorful it is, but oh well. Even if they sticked to the original's gritty aesthetics, you can only catch a lightning in the bottle once. The original movie was much more than just a great movie; it had to be made there and then to be the classic it is today. I'm sure we are going to get some high-budget slow-times and effects but none of them will have the same effect when for instance we saw Neo dodging those bullets on the rooftop - spoilers btw.

All in all, I predict a shit Matrix movie but a fun high-budget action-nonsense movie. After many of the non-sense of episode 2 and 3, no one will have any right to call this movie sacrilege or corrupter of a legacy, because those things are already happened.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    New poster reflects the original and I'm all here for it. Even with Jesus Keanu .

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    This new trailer looks amazing...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    This new trailer looks amazing...
    Very much agree! I saw that last night and I am SO intrigued. It doesn't seem like most people are too excited for this movie or talking about it that much, but I think it looks better and better the more I see.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    No production studio is going to make a movie that requires you to have seen a 20 year old movie
    Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Blade Runner, Bill & Ted, Coming 2 America, Doctor Sleep, Tron: Legacy, Bad Boys, Finding Dory, The Incredibles 2, T2 Trainspotting, the new Spider-Man, much of the MCU for that matter, No Time To Die...

Granted, some of these are soft reboots, but they all require a decent amount of knowledge about a 10-20 year old movie to really appreciate them.

Not at all. Most moviegoers are 25-39. The average 18-24 year-old isn't even super interested in movies/television and instead spends more time on YouTube, IG, TikTok, etc. That's not to say there aren't plenty of 18-24 moviegoers, but they're absolutely not the majority.

As for "fan service," I expect it will be somewhere between the very little you're expecting and the tons the trailers are suggesting (they're obviously going to pull a bunch of familiar stuff for the trailers). This certainly isn't a Force Awakens where Neo and Trinity are the old mentors ushering in the new crowd. The youngest person in the announced cast is like 30.

And as far as what the studio will allow, keep in mind two things: First, this is Lana Wachowski. The studio knows she's going to make something big and weird that may not satisfy everyone. Second and most importantly, the studio in question is Warner Bros., who in the past 16 months released Bill & Ted Face the Music, Tenet, Wonder Woman 1984, Zack Snyder's Justice League, Godzilla vs. Kong, Mortal Kombat, The Suicide Squad, and Dune. Say what you will about the quality of those movies, but it certainly seems like their main goal lately has been letting filmmakers make whatever crazy shit they want instead of forcing them to make nice, neat salable four-quadrant fare.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    "HMMMMMMMMM @Toadflax .
    Good points, you've made." -Yoda voice, quite naturally.

1. Yeah, i GUESS i stand corrected on the first part.
    but ONLY regarding for SURE Blade Runner 2049 and PROBABLY Coming 2 America.

ALTHOUGH: i'd argue that Indiana Jones didn't require any foreknowledge, nor did Dr Sleep or the new Bad Boys. Tron was...yeah, it was COOLER if you'd seen the first one, but a LOT of people likely hadn't.
    And cartoons can serve as just ANY frenetic insanity to entertain kids. Trainspotting 2 ...i can't comment on that one. I'd seen the original more times than i'd like to admit, and carried the nickname Sickboy for several years, for R rated reasons.

I GUESS i'd say there's a difference between understanding every reference, and just digging a movie

The first Star Wars my little niece saw was 7 and she fucking loved it. It kicked off her Star Wars Obsession.

2. I was absolutely wrong about 18-24. I can't believe it, but, i looked at the data, and sure enough. I concede that bit fully.

3. Good point, yes, regarding Warner Bros.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-02-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The Matrix is a pretty massive tent-pole blockbuster franchise that was hugely influential and revolutionary (bullet time alone) in virtually all aspects of pop culture. It has earned the right/ability to expect that the audience has seen the preceding movies and remembers the gist of their plots – especially the first installment, which will likely be the one that really matters, as demonstrated by the latest trailer posted above. And I have to say, I think the VAST majority of the people who will be going to this have definitely seen the whole trilogy, even if they've only seen Reloaded and Revolutions once (because it seems most people hated those). They'll be fine expecting their audience to have seen the other movies and I'm sure they'll remind us of anything that's important in case you haven't revisited the previous movies for many years.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It only looks amazing because it is mostly comprised of clips from the previous Matrix movies.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I'd argue that Indiana Jones didn't require any foreknowledge, nor did Dr Sleep.
    It's weird to call those out, considering the love interest from Crystal Skull is Marion and the entire third act of Dr. Sleep is a reference-heavy return to the Overlook.

But yes, I wasn't saying they're all movies you can't understand without having seen the predecessor, just that they weren't things like Fury Road, where they basically reboot the whole franchise and just keep the name of a character.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    It only looks amazing because it is mostly comprised of clips from the previous Matrix movies.
    That's a pretty (perhaps unintentionally) cynical take, and also I don't think it's true.

It's not like we're all "I can't wait to see bullet time again!" over here, the point of the trailer isn't simply to revisit these familiar moments, but to suggests that they have a story purpose behind them. This "everything repeats" view of the story isn't new to The Matrix, btw, since Reloaded we know that it's part of the mythology. And we're excited to find out what is going on! We can assume that this Neo isn't the same as the one who when through the original trilogy, this is some sort of restating of the simulation, but with some kind of a glitch (?), honestly I think a lot of us are genuinely intrigued!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    the last time I got excited about a do-over story it was The Dark Tower movie.

as far as these trailers go, I'm going to be watching the movie so I've decided to stop watching the trailers and will just watch the movie on release.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    the last time I got excited about a do-over story it was The Dark Tower movie.

as far as these trailers go, I'm going to be watching the movie so I've decided to stop watching the trailers and will just watch the movie on release.
    Wait: what do you mean "do-over?"

Are you talking adaptation in general, or the bit about the Horn, and that it was supposed to be a sequel AND reboot or whatever?

Is that the sort of thing that's going on here, too?

(For the record, we've not watched The Dark Tower. It sounds like an abomination to my wife and me, and we don't want to disrupt our An-Tet.)
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-02-2021 at 06:28 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    It's weird to call those out, considering the love interest from Crystal Skull is Marion and the entire third act of Dr. Sleep is a reference-heavy return to the Overlook.

But yes, I wasn't saying they're all movies you can't understand without having seen the predecessor, just that they weren't things like Fury Road, where they basically reboot the whole franchise and just keep the name of a character.
    I hear you.
    But also, i was able to.understand that Crystal Skull sucked, AND not remember Marion.
    I hadn't seen those movies since I was a kid.

And I REALLY feel like Dr. Sleep was fairly self contained. Idk.
    Maybe I'm wrong.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-02-2021 at 06:25 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Wait: what do you mean "do-over?"

Are you talking adaptation in general, or the bit about the Horn, and that it was supposed to be a sequel AND reboot or whatever?

Is that the sort of thing that's going on here, too?

(For the record, we've not watched The Dark Tower. It sounds like an abomination to my wife and me, and we don't want to disrupt our An-Tet.)
    yes, the movie was supposed to be a sequel to the books, Stephen King hinted as much.

The movie was perfectly fine but they needed someone either more manic or more calm and composed for Walter. Matthew McConaughey was too middle-of-the-road for what it should have been.

Hackiva Goldsman, as the primary listed screenwriter, is the probably cause for what happened.
    Imagine someone told all of Game of Thrones in one movie that was just an hour and a half, then cut out 99% of the story.
    And that's it for TDT in The Matrix thread.
    Last edited by allegate; 12-03-2021 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @allegate I'm still wondering, though: how exactly is The upcoming Matrix film...what do you mean by "do over" regarding the new Matrix?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    That's a pretty (perhaps unintentionally) cynical take, and also I don't think it's true.

It's not like we're all "I can't wait to see bullet time again!" over here, the point of the trailer isn't simply to revisit these familiar moments, but to suggests that they have a story purpose behind them. This "everything repeats" view of the story isn't new to The Matrix, btw, since Reloaded we know that it's part of the mythology. And we're excited to find out what is going on! We can assume that this Neo isn't the same as the one who when through the original trilogy, this is some sort of restating of the simulation, but with some kind of a glitch (?), honestly I think a lot of us are genuinely intrigued!
    mostly that. no offense to @hellospaceboy just the post that I read and had that thought about.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    You know, I just really want to know why Jesus Keanu is sitting in a bathtub, crying, with a rubber ducky on his head.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Also: I have seen the trilogy in theater when it came out and I have seen it countless time since. I still don't understand half of it. And the really weird thing is that it doesn't matter.

I can't wait.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    You know, I just really want to know why Jesus Keanu is sitting in a bathtub, crying, with a rubber ducky on his head.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Also: I have seen the trilogy in theater when it came out and I have seen it countless time since. I still don't understand half of it. And the really weird thing is that it doesn't matter.

I can't wait.
    That's another thing that I'm wondering: the lore, the backstory, whatever you want to call it: as much as I loved those movies, there's a WHOLE hell of a lot I don't understand.
    I wonder if some, or any, of the trippier stuff will be addressed.

That being said, the Wachowsks' Cloud Atlas and Sense 8 didn't entirely make sense, either, but I ADORED both of them, so I definitely understand the not caring @marodi
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-04-2021 at 09:19 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Holy shit.