Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Boys

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

The Boys

Superheroes are often as popular as celebrities, as influential as politicians, and sometimes even as revered as gods. But that's when they're using their powers for good. What happens when the heroes go rogue and start abusing their powers? When it's the powerless against the super powerful, the Boys head out on a heroic quest to expose the truth about the Seven and Vought, the multibillion-dollar conglomerate that manages the superheroes and covers up their dirty secrets. Based on the comic book series of the same name.

Is no one seriously watching this? Probably one of the best anti-superhero shows. Besides Homecoming, I was quite disappointed by Amazon's series, but this show is great. Thanks to Red Letter Media for turning me on to this because it's nothing like I expected it to be. Pretty dark and twisted, but still has a f--ked up sense of humor.
    Last edited by neorev; 08-13-2019 at 02:35 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I keep hearing people on socials a follow rave about this and i'm going to need to find time to watch it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    it’s awesome, think i’ve got 2 episodes to go and i saw seth rogen replying to someone on twitter the other day saying they’re half way through filming season two

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty79 View Post
    it’s awesome, think i’ve got 2 episodes to go and i saw seth rogen replying to someone on twitter the other day saying they’re half way through filming season two
    Yea, Seth is an executive producer on it. Guess Amazon loved it enough to fast track a second season.

But it really is quite good.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I liked it, too, especially its dark sense of humor. Visually it reminded me a lot of what Zach Snyder did with his Watchmen movie.

In terms of the characters I felt Homelander was terrifying and his actor probably gave the best performance on the show.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I thoroughly enjoyed this show, everything about it. Started watching without really knowing what its premise was and it immediately hooked me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Is no one seriously watching this?
    I believe I posted that I was watching it in the What Are You Watching thread about two weeks ago, so yeah...I watched it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    3 episodes in and love it. Best pilot I've seen in a long time. Sucks you right in.

Stopped reading the comic early on b/c Garth Ennis is hit or miss for me. I love some of his stuff, but the premise of The Boys didn't interest me at the time, especially b/c the tone of the book is much sillier & more over the top than the show. Art wasn't great either. I think the show strikes the perfect balance with what it changed from the book.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I liked it, too, especially its dark sense of humor. Visually it reminded me a lot of what Zach Snyder did with his Watchmen movie.

In terms of the characters I felt Homelander was terrifying and his actor probably gave the best performance on the show.
    Yeah, I love the tension with his character and his interactions, like "This motherfucker can annihilate me and anyone in his path at any moment."

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This show is fun but Spoiler: why didn't they just drown the invisible guy?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    the cynical answer is b/c the writers wanted the visual they got by doing it the way they did. Drowning would have been boring.

Quite the cliffhanger they left us on at the finale.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Season 2 teaser!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Season 2 drops September 4. The first three episodes will be on that day, and then weekly for the next 5 weeks.
    Last edited by october_midnight; 06-26-2020 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Already renewed for a third season!!!

Last edited by neorev; 07-23-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I watched the trailer to the first season when it was released just to see how close in tone it was to the comic. My wife and son saw it and was like "that looks great!" and I laughed at them. They kept asking randomly when we were going to watch it and I finally told them it's pretty bad. They were like nah it's fine. So finally we started it up last week. Every episode brought another protestation from one or the other at what was on the screen and me telling them "I told you!". But we kept going, and we're on the penultimate episode. The story is so far off the rails from the comics that I finally gave up on the comparisons and have been enjoying it for what it is: a very competent translation of insanely-questionable-to-film material.

Feels like a lot of story lines from the comics were compressed to make the first season so it'll be interesting to see where S2 - and S3 - end up. As much as they've changed things and left others the same I do wonder at the final reveal from the comic and how it'll play out here, if at all: Spoiler: Black Noir

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I watched the trailer to the first season when it was released just to see how close in tone it was to the comic. My wife and son saw it and was like "that looks great!" and I laughed at them. They kept asking randomly when we were going to watch it and I finally told them it's pretty bad. They were like nah it's fine. So finally we started it up last week. Every episode brought another protestation from one or the other at what was on the screen and me telling them "I told you!". But we kept going, and we're on the penultimate episode. The story is so far off the rails from the comics that I finally gave up on the comparisons and have been enjoying it for what it is: a very competent translation of insanely-questionable-to-film material.

Feels like a lot of story lines from the comics were compressed to make the first season so it'll be interesting to see where S2 - and S3 - end up. As much as they've changed things and left others the same I do wonder at the final reveal from the comic and how it'll play out here, if at all: Spoiler: Black Noir
    Haven't read the comics, but absolutely love the show.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    show>comics

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm late to things here, but that whole scene kept making me say "why don't they put poison in the glass of water... why would he be stupid enough to drink a glass of water they give him? Also, you could drown him, gas him, suffocate him..."

Though this is not really a show that needs to be called out on a realistic level. I'm five episodes in now and I'm loving it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm late to things here, but that whole scene kept making me say "why don't they put poison in the glass of water... why would he be stupid enough to drink a glass of water they give him? Also, you could drown him, gas him, suffocate him..."

Though this is not really a show that needs to be called out on a realistic level. I'm five episodes in now and I'm loving it.
    Poison or gas, possibly.

About drowning though...

Well, remember, Spoiler: they were keeping him in a shielded room hoping Homelander couldn't see him. They kept him caged to not be in the same space as him. How do you drown a caged man? How do you drown someone you don't want to be in the same space in? How do you drown this guy with Homeland spying around? They would've had to move him to drown him if kept in a cage. They had to knock him out to even insert the explosive. They would've needed a place they could throw his cage in to drown. They wouldn't want to take the chance of him waking up while drowning him by hand. He could easily fight them off and disappear.

But it was mainly to drive home the moment of Hughie's choice.
    Last edited by neorev; 08-16-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    re: that last sentence - I get that, but narrative choices versus choices made naturally always bug me. They did handle the PTSD better than a lot of shows do, I liked that.

Finally got to watch the last episode after three days of Amazon saying it wasn't available. Every time we clicked we got the "this video is not available" screen. Even when we went to Amazon.com directly and navigated to the season all of the videos and images on the page were broken. So weird and random.

Anyway, that ending blew the books continuity out of the water both in where the show is going vs. the comic and also in just in general quality of story. A lot less Grant Morrison and more of a good writer's room. Spoiler: Loved that he killed Madeline and saved Billy just to spit in his face with that reveal.

Kind of weird they kept MMs sobriquet considering he doesn't, well, need...that...in the show.
    Last edited by allegate; 08-17-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    guess i'm gonna have to start watching this show because Jensen Ackles is going to be on season 3

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    "Time to go or I call TMZ."

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    "You better have tacos."

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    it's strange, but the second season of this show has legitimately gotten under my skin.

The thing w/ The Deep's gills already bothered me, but this is just fucking gross and I'm NOT into it. Just stop. STOP! STAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHP!

Also, that scene w/ Blindspot vs Homelander was so cruel and horrifyingly mean spirited.... it's draining. I love the show, but that stuff is gutting.
    and, I love that that racist superhero's name is "stormfront." Well done.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-08-2020 at 12:25 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    it's strange, but the second season of this show has legitimately gotten under my skin.

The thing w/ The Deep's gills already bothered me, but this is just fucking gross and I'm NOT into it. Just stop. STOP! STAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHP!

Also, that scene w/ Blindspot vs Homelander was so cruel and horrifyingly mean spirited.... it's draining. I love the show, but that stuff is gutting.
    and, I love that that racist superhero's name is "stormfront." Well done.
    Everything you just said, I loved. Please, more under your skin stuff. Bring it.

What I hate... Amazon and their bullshit releasing episodes weekly. WTF?! I'm a longterm customer and I want all episodes available. Do that crap with the newbies. At least Netflix don't pull that crap.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Second season has been incredible. Bc of that cruel Stormfront scene, we now all instantly want her to get her comeuppance. So it was effective.

Deep/speedboat scene & it's aftermath...inside of...something...was the loudest I've legit lol'ed in a while.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Showrunner addresses weekly release backlash...

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/the-boys...y-love-2752494