Thread: UFOs and aliens--do they exist? Have they visited Earth?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

UFOs and aliens--do they exist? Have they visited Earth?

I think they do and have.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm a big fan of the ancient astronaut theory. Biblical things like Noah's ark, to me, are more like a quantum supercomputer storing DNA pairs for later repopulation, etc.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Puff puff, pass!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I made a thread about this, some years ago.

I think that the idea that we're the only civilization in the fucking UNIVERSE is ridiculous. It's a remnant of geocentric models of the solar system, and old school Christianity, and a fuckton of disinformation -shit like Bluebook and Grudge.

I'm not certain that they've visited earth, though. The distances between shit in space is unfathomable. But I DAMN sure don't think that we're the only species with civilization in the entire fucking UNIVERSE. I'm fairly certain about that part.

As for whether or not they visit earth, if there's any unimpeachable evidence, the gvmt damn sure knows about it. They also DEFINITELY have manipulated public opinion on the subject. As such, I don't think we'll know for sure unless they decide to tell us.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-07-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    1. No. 2. No.

Prove me wrong. :-p

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    *cues up history channel guy meme*

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    exist, probably, visited, probably not.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yes, other civilizations exist in the universe.

No, they have not visited because you are unable to travel across the universe. To go the speed of light, you have to be the mass of light, which is NOTHING. Meaning, you are unable to travel that fast so any distance would be even longer.

Until you can upload your consciousness onto a machine, we'll be unable to travel with our machine far enough to visit someone... the best we're all ever gonna get is a Hello, years and years and years from radio waves, like we're sending...

**TOKE**

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    There was a scientific paper awhile back that concluded that even if the chances of intelligent life forming are one in ten billion, there have been a TRILLION alien civilizations. Of course, these are just statistics, but, it's pretty mind blowing.

We aren't sure about the size of the universe, but, the OBSERVABLE universe has a diameter of, I think, 93 billion LIGHT YEARS. The universe contains 30 to 70 billion TRILLION stars, featuring something like 100 billion metric mega fucktons of planets.

These numbers are pretty hard to grasp. I read that, if you scale it down to where the sun is the size of a penny, then, on that scale, the nearest star would be 350 miles away. It's just fucking unreal.

Because of all this, I just think it's wildly egocentric to assume that WE'RE the only civilized life to have formed, in 13.8 billion years.
    @Substance242 , I can't prove you wrong, because, obviously, we haven't found evidence of other civilizations. But I'm really interested in why you think that the, relatively, unfathomably small speck that is earth, is definitely the only place intelligent life exists.

Please don't think I'm trying to be an asshole:rather, I'm just curious as to what your thought process is on this.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    But I'm really interested in why you think that the, relatively, unfathomably small speck that is earth, is definitely the only place intelligent life exists.
    Hi there :-), I don't think it's definitely, I responded with short "No" originally but I just don't know. It's the same for me like with God - there's zero evidence but it's still possible, but I don't believe it. So, to make it simple, "No". :-)

Also, I'm watching this universe stuff for a long time and we're forgetting something - it's possible we're the first ones.

The probability numbers do look big at first sight, but then you have Fermi paradox filters and I guess we were just incredibly lucky here.

So, to save this precious gift of life, let's all stop reproducing peacefully and keep Earth alive. :-)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    If it had happened, and we knew about it, the Shitweasel in Chief would have blabbed about it by now.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post

...Also, I'm watching this universe stuff for a long time and we're forgetting something - it's possible we're the first ones...
    Brilliant.
    I honestly HAVEN'T considered this.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'd be pretty surprised if we're the first.

• There are 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the observable universe, and trillions will have formed, supported planets and died before our star was formed. That's a lot of chances for others to have developed sentient life; our solar system doesn't have any unique properties as far as we know.
    • When life appeared on Earth (pretty quickly, admittedly), it took 2 billion years for single-celled organisms to evolve sexual reproduction, and at least another billion years for those organisms to become multicellular. Those are some fairly simple traits to evolve (in fact multicellular life evolved numerous times), it's just that the chances of it happening on any given year are very low - so a luckier lineage might have developed these traits millions or billions of years sooner.
    • There have been hominids on the planet for 15 million years, and it took a freak set of circumstances (rapid contraction of forests due to the glacial maximum) for them to develop into us. That could just as easily have happened millions of years earlier.
    • There are approximately six groups of animals that have developed high intelligence (apes, dolphins, elephants, parrots, corvids, octopuses), some of which have existed - presumably with a similar level of brainpower - for tens of millions of years. With a different set of circumstances, one of them may have produced the planet's first sentient species long ago.

So it wasn't writ in stone that it would take 13.7 billion years for the universe to develop a sentient species. Even looking at factors on Earth, it could easily have happened millions of years earlier. That being said, when you're looking at lifeforms smart enough to develop technology that can wipe themselves out in the blink of a geological eye, two spaceflight-capable species could evolve less than a million years apart, a single solar system apart, and never meet.

Evolution is basically a game of luck - random mutations plus environmental suitability. It's taken a long string of low-probability occurrences to produce Homo sapiens. So while the universe has more than enough stars to favour a similar progression happening somewhere, there are extremely low odds of it occurring anywhere near our solar system, anywhere near the present time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Evolution is a game of harmony. It’s about resolving tension between you and your surroundings. A specimen works to fit better into its environment, and that tension expresses itself in the DNA (more in shape than code. Yes, I’m saying the shape of DNA matters. It pulls more tightly and at certain angles around sequences describing stressed traits, leading to changes in those traits in subsequent generations.).

If the universe has a center, which it does, it could just be that our existence is the function of our relationship to that center. In other words, human civilization is the result of the physical tension between Earth and the center of the universe. And since no other planet exists exactly where we do in relation to the center of the universe, no other planet can have all of the exact physical tensions that lead to us.

I used to think yes and yes. Now, I think no and no.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @elevenism - Just like with conspiracy theories, ghosts and paranormal investigations/activities/sightings altogether, I've always speculated it as far as probably and maybe would go. I always absolutely understood where you've been coming from for quite some time, and certainly understand why there are people out there that would be inquisitive and skeptical over governments, universities, corporations and even other actual skeptics of all types overall.

I sometimes try not to get too caught up with it though. It's like one of those things that have kept me glued to YouTube even a lot longer than I'd normally used to. No matter how ridiculous or impossible they might or simply are on the surface (And yes, even stupid and crazy as it's bound to be received that way.), I'll admit that these topics can be very interesting to look into. And that's ultimately saying something as somebody that has lived on/off YouTube, as least in my opinion. On the other hand, it's why I sometimes tend to enjoy looking into as many sides to just about any topic as much as possible no matter how even I myself disagree/disbelieve in something, it still helps me figure out as to why and how things are the way they are with X beliefs here and there.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    That looks like a weather balloon.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

IT'S TEAM ROCKET!

Last edited by tony.parente; 12-18-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    And now because I read that, I know what a dropsonde is.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Earth is the Detroit of the universe.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    https://www.news.com.au/technology/s...8deb6d99f7dd24

A 180-day countdown for the Pentagon and spy agencies to reveal what they know about UFOs has begun.
    It comes after US President Donald Trump signed a $2.3 trillion ($A4.14tn) COVID-19 relief and government funding bill on Sunday, reported The US Sun.
    Thanks to an act included in the bill, federal agencies must publish a report in the next six months.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Last edited by allegate; 01-12-2021 at 07:09 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Do I think there are Aliens? Yes, I believe the universe is just too big for us to be the only lifeforms out there.

Do I think Aliens have visited earth? That depends on how you define aliens.

I'm of the belief that life on our planet didn't start on our planet. There is evidence to suggest that some microbial life was present on some meteors that have landed on earth (one example is the Yamato 000593). I believe that at some point long, long before humans began, life existed on other planets in our solar system (specifically Mars for sure, but possibly others too). I believe that meteors wiped the life out on those planets, but that microbial forms of life hitched a ride on parts of those meteorites, which eventually crashed onto earth, and then evolved into all the different branches of life that we have on earth here now.

So, depending on your definition aliens, we might qualify.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    The gvmt did some pretty fucking serious disclosure recently, but nobody cared��

They thought there would be mass panic. But nobody seemed to care outside of MUFON fanboys.

For.instance, you can now explore the CIA's 'entire' collection of UFO documents online.

And there's some WEIRD shit in there. Funny how even the Smithsonian Magazine puts quotation marks around "entire."
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-08-2021 at 08:21 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    ANNNND, we have ANOTHER "Pentagon confirms UFO video is real.

What in the actual FUCK is going on, here?

@Erneuert

Oh. In case you guys missed the ones from last year,
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-06-2021 at 09:04 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Pentagon Whistleblower Warns of UFO Intelligence Failure on par with 9/11

“There is something in our skies, we don’t know what it is, we don’t know how it works, we don’t know fully what it can do, we don’t know who is behind the wheel, we don’t know its intentions, and there isn’t a damn thing we can do about it,”

And, in response,

Pentagon's Inspector General to Audit Departments Actions on UFOs
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-06-2021 at 09:18 AM.