Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tenet

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Just saw this ad on TV... Tenet, "ONLY IN THEATERS!!!!!"

I'm just going to withhold my opinion on this... hopefully it's a good movie.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'm seeing this on Saturday (going EARLY morning, in a mask through the entire thing, sitting nowhere near anyone else) so hopefully it's a good experience. It's nice to be able to see a film again...but maybe not at the best time.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Good thing I looked at the ticket today, turns out the screening is this afternoon. Excited to be back at the movies and esspecially for this one!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Saw it a second time today and this time in German as I have to agree with @Haysey . Didn't know if it was just a problem of me not being a native speaker, but with many people underneath a mask and Branagh not doing his best foreign accent in my eyes I had trouble understanding some dialogue. Especially when the music was mixed in too loud at times. Tenet goes "blam!" here and there for no obvious reason.

I was fairly dissapointed with the movie the first time around, yet I enjoyed it just as much even after a second viewing. It's typical Nolan and his shtick for time and mind bending topics is more obvious than ever. But once you start to "feel it" instead of understand it, as they state in the movie as well, you will have a better time. A second viewing raised some more question I have to confess, whereas I understood several details a bit more on my second run. It's not too hard to get your mind around, but certainly more as with Inception where you just really had to pay attention. Tenet invites you to play along and think it through, which I liked alot.

LOVED Washington and Pattinson in this, both actors really grew on me. Especially Pattinson over the years, which makes me even more hopefull for his Batman portrayal.

I was missing the big "heist scene" that Nolan's movies are famous for, but found it the second time around. Still not as great as his other remarkable or spectacular scenes, certainly cool and different though. Then again Nolan isn't the best action director in my eyes or maybe it's the subtlety of his action that some including me are not used to. It's indeed Bond on acid. I also felt that many set pieces were underused. I never had the feeling that we were indeed in Oslo or Talinn for that matter... What also struck me is that I felt little connection to the cast as the overlaying idea takes up alot of your headspace already. I never had "time" to get invested and it doesn't help that some characters don't have alot of backstory. For reasons that is, but still... Especially for Branaghs character, some more exposition would've been nice.

It will be fun either way to dissect the movie and I'm looking forward to see some proper analysis with proper footage once it's released or available in proper quality for people to do that. Some of the underlying philosophical themes sounded interesting, then again... they were just pointed at so I don't know if they are important for the experience indeed. Grandfather paradox etc. Yet the Sator square of old Pompeij could turn out to be useful when decoding the movie.

Also can't stress enough how much I came to like Ludwig Goransson and his scores. On the other hand I saw an article where they praised his score for its unprecedecent quality. Well, I have to disagree especially since we are on this very message board. It's very reminiscent of what TR/AR have been doing and people giving such bold statements clearly haven't seen a movie by Nicolas Winding Refn. It's a great score that kicks in even more on a second viewing where you can pay more attention to how it's used. But certainly it's not revolutionary these days.

Since I first saw the trailer I thought that I had heard something similar before. Turns out it's right there with the Mandalorian teaser for which Goransson did the score as well. Take a listen. Sounds familiar?

In the end it makes sense that I have a love/hate relationship with this movie as it deals with parallel timelines (ha!). That probably wasn't the goal, but it kind of fits nicely. Cool stuff, cool premise, great acting and it keeps your attention. But the movie almost lost me in it's first 30 minutes as it was way too loud, confusing and too Nolan on the nose for my taste. Glad it picked up though and made for an interesting second watch. I'd give it a 7 out of 10 or a B-. Liked it more than Inception though which hasn't aged well for me.

Kudos to German cinemas for keeping it safe by the way. I never had the feeling that I was too close to people, in fact I've never felt that much social distance in a while. And I can't say that I didn't enjoy that especially in a cinema. It felt like I was in a test viewing with a few selected people. Definitely enjoyed such a setting for such a movie.
    Last edited by dlb; 08-31-2020 at 08:05 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    just watched this. I dug it.

Think you needed to watch inception a few times to grasp it.

Tenet: Hold My Beer.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Just got back from this and I was pretty disappointed. I'm leaning toward just ok or slightly below just ok.

The story just didn't grab me, and neither did the characters. The concept was super cool and interesting, and it is definitely a very unique movie (I've never seen anything quite like it), and there is an AMAZING action scene in it, but overall it just didn't come together for me.

I also had a hard time following it. Not because of audio issues (that was fine, thank god) but it gets super mind fucky, to the point that I kind of gave up trying to keep track at times. I got the gist of it, but the details were lost on me. Hoping maybe a second viewing will clear some things up and maybe I'll like it more. I don't know.

I will say this: This is, by FAR, his biggest mind fuck yet. It's like he said to himself, "What if Inception but turned up to 11?" That part I really liked.

Also, Spoiler: he beats a dude with fucking cheese grater and it was kind of amazing.
    Last edited by theruiner; 09-04-2020 at 01:06 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Had reservations about going to see it, and came out with reservations, but enjoyed it overall
    Whilst the plot is very hard to follow in places, especially with the dialogue mixed a bit weird, I did really love the sound, the music and the set pieces.
    Maybe it's because I haven't done a gig in 6 months but the sound in the opening sequence was almost unbearable in places. I think I adapted and then got some amazing uncontrollable frisson with some of the music later on.
    It's a MOVIE, super fun, but also found myself glazing over in certain sections, just a lot of exposition and barely understanding what was being said.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Word online is Blu Ray release is Dec 15.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Trying to make the claim that Tenet is responsible for killing cinema is laughable indeed.

Blame all the movie studios who pulled their 2020 movie premieres. Tenet actually brought in more money than its budget. But that's not enough for these movie companies. So they'd rather let theaters die than to break even or make tens of millions instead of hundreds of millions. And lord forbid they released them direct digitally.

If Tenet didn't go to theaters, theaters would have had nothing and these companies would still be canceling their 2020 premieres.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just saw it thought it was pretty solid. Went in only having seen the trailers back before. A bit long perhaps but overall I enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Absolutely LOVED this one. Just now seeing it. Wish I could've seen it in the theater and ESPECIALLY in IMAX.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Saw it in the theater. Preorder just hit my Apple TV account. What a treat.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Watched it last night. What a dull, frustrating, miserable experience. I can't remember the last time I wanted so badly for a movie to be over.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I had a good time watching this but I’m not certain I understood all of it. This was like if David Lynch did a Bond movie.

JDW deserves all the praise he’s getting for this.

Tenet is certainly a big step up after the disappointing Interstellar and the middling Dunkirk.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    *loud noise*

*muffled, tinny dialogue*

Is this like JJ Adrams' lens flare?

I enjoyed this movie on my first watch, but any movie which makes me adjust my center channel speaker is automatically suspect.

Spoiler: In regards to Sator: rota(s) are job-detail lists. Thought that was pretty neat.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    There are foreign language films I've watched that need subtitles less than this. I can't wait to watch it again with them, b/c I only half understood what I watched & heard. At this point it's clear Nolan wants his sound mixed this way, I just cannot understand why.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 12-19-2020 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Someone suggested that because of covid the mix was done remotely outside big sound studios and ended up sounding as it does.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    He's flat-out said it's because he wants it to sound that way though. It's not an accident, it's on purpose because he's an auteur.

I only half rolled my eyes when I typed that out.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    He's flat-out said it's because he wants it to sound that way though. It's not an accident, it's on purpose because he's an auteur.

I only half rolled my eyes when I typed that out.
    does that mean you rolled one eye all the way and the other one stayed put?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    *insert witty time inversion joke here*

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Someone suggested that because of covid the mix was done remotely outside big sound studios and ended up sounding as it does.
    I hear you (heh), but he's played with this thing where the dialogue is significantly lower in the mix than the score/effects in Dark Knight Rises, Inception & Dunkirk also. In Dunkirk, with the way Nolan CHOSE to deliver Tom Hardy's line that were said with the pilot's mask on (it's not as if it couldn't have been improved in post when they re-dub all their lines anyway), i literally couldn't follow his story until much later in the movie b/c I couldn't make out 80% of what he was saying. His character's story didn't make full sense to me until I rewatched with subtitles at home. Tenet will be the same thing, but it shouldn't have to be. He IS an auteur, and I love these big attempts to swing for the fences, but this choice really pisses me off. No point in unnecessarily pissing off your fans, especially over something like this which now across 4 movies doesn't seem to add anything to the experience of watching one of his films...only detracts from it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I hear you (heh), but he's played with this thing where the dialogue is significantly lower in the mix than the score/effects in Dark Knight Rises, Inception & Dunkirk also. In Dunkirk, with the way Nolan CHOSE to deliver Tom Hardy's line that were said with the pilot's mask on (it's not as if it couldn't have been improved in post when they re-dub all their lines anyway), i literally couldn't follow his story until much later in the movie b/c I couldn't make out 80% of what he was saying. His character's story didn't make full sense to me until I rewatched with subtitles at home. Tenet will be the same thing, but it shouldn't have to be. He IS an auteur, and I love these big attempts to swing for the fences, but this choice really pisses me off. No point in unnecessarily pissing off your fans, especially over something like this which now across 4 movies doesn't seem to add anything to the experience of watching one of his films...only detracts from it.
    it's like he heard me complain about the way bane's dialogue was mixed in TDKR and decided to do the complete opposite (and yes, i'm still annoyed by that, it made the movie nearly unwatchable for me because it just sounds like a bad sean connery impersonator doing a voiceover)

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, I watched it for the second time last night and somehow it made me like it less.

It was not a very good movie. Like, cool concept, a couple of good action scenes (really one great one and one that was good but not great), pretty terrible story and completely forgettable characters (and Branagh's character was borderline awful). It is definitely at the very bottom of the list of Nolan's movies for me. I don't think I could ever bring myself to watch it again.
    Last edited by theruiner; 12-26-2020 at 01:09 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Pretty much agreed across the board there. Two watches and had to sell my 4K copy. Yeesh it was just not that good.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I just watched it...

Fuuuck. I REALLY wanted to like it, but it was frustrating. When people complained that it was confusing I thought they meant the time inversion sci fi part, not the basic plot and who wants what... Jesus. The premise was great, it had a lot of cool stuff in it, but overall a disappointing experience. I love Nolan, but this one wasn't nearly as clever as he thought it was.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It was ambitious, kinda dumb, but cool but dumb. So many unlikable Nolan tropes. Skittish editing, characters teleporting from place to place, characters spouting exposition. The art steal scheme was pointless. The blonde lady character subplot was thin. I for one liked Branagh's villain. The interesting parts of that movie were Spoiler: the protagonists relationship with Neil, the protagonist finding out that he is the architect of tenet and the moving backwards through time to influence events. The movie should've focused on those elements. The inverted weapons make no sense as soon as you think about them for more than two minutes. I'm still not sure what the heck was going in that final battle, and I don't think that it's my fault. Movies that involve "time travel" are pretty difficult because of how much nitpicking they leave them selves open to but this was just an uninteresting movie with a handful of spectacle thrown at it. Better luck next time. The Prestige was peak-Nolan for me.
    Last edited by mfte; 02-09-2021 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Watched this last night. There were parts of the movie that made little sense, and I assume that maybe a re-watch will help.

However, near the end it's announced to the audience who hasn't been paying attention to the film (or Nolan's usual writing tropes) what the reveal is about the relationship? I immediately thought of a book I read last year. It's a time travel book in the normal sense, not this living-entropy-backwards wackadoodle storyline. but the general conceit is there. Side note: I was thinking about it last night and made myself laugh because I used the word "tenet" in my internal dialogue to describe the similarities between the two.

Going back to the audience who hasn't been paying attention. There were at least two instances of "we saw this scene already from the other side, why are you continuing to show us the entire scene again?" Does the editor or director think that they lost us in this 2 1/2 hour film and need the primer?

There were some good parts in the film. "Get him some Diet Coke". that whole exchange takes on a different meaning once you get to the end of the movie. But also? The whole inversion thing is a kick in the ass if you think about living that way and no one notices entire fucking boats moving backwards? They don't really touch on that part. hand waves galore when it comes to the big story.

Speaking of the big story: it's mentioned once that annihilation - maybe not that exact word but let's use it - is the end result of meeting yourself. Very TimeCop of them. Anyway, to bring that up and then have that hallway fight with zero repercussions?

Hand waves are the best waves I guess.