Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: March of the Pigs background sample found!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    March of the Pigs background sample found!

    Okay, long time ETS lurker and huge The Downward Spiral fan here. For years I've been fascinated with the samples on the album (THX, Aliens, Robot Jox, Leviathan, and even the lesser known ones, like the Elephant Man sample in Ruiner). Well today, I think I found something I'm not sure has ever been mentioned. I was watching the movie Sorcerer (1977, with Roy Scheider), and I heard something familiar. Remember those multitracks released back in the day? There are some very cool, odd sounds going on in the background of March of the Pigs. Well today, I think I found a buried scream. The first part of this quick .wav file linked is from MOTP, and the second brief section is the scream from about 47 minutes into the movie.

    https://soundcloud.com/davidww/motp-...-sorcerer-film

    -David

    EDIT: Sorry if this belongs in one of the "samples" forums. Too dang excited about my little find.
    Last edited by artdeco; 07-28-2019 at 08:36 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
    Okay, long time ETS lurker and huge The Downward Spiral fan here. For years I've been fascinated with the samples on the album (THX, Aliens, Robot Jox, Leviathan, and even the lesser known ones, like the Elephant Man sample in Ruiner). Well today, I think I found something I'm not sure has ever been mentioned. I was watching the movie Sorcerer (1977, with Roy Scheider), and I heard something familiar. Remember those multitracks released back in the day? There are some very cool, odd sounds going on in the background of March of the Pigs. Well today, I think I found a buried scream. The first part of this quick .wav file linked is from MOTP, and the second brief section is the scream from about 47 minutes into the movie.

    https://soundcloud.com/davidww/motp-...-sorcerer-film

    -David

    EDIT: Sorry if this belongs in one of the "samples" forums. Too dang excited about my little find.
    I just listened- and you are 100% right. You can clearly hear those samples in the opening of All The Pigs, All Lined Up as well.
    I love finding and contributing as well when it comes to NIN samples. Currently I’m playing with the 5.1 surround multi tracks to make a Ruiner instrumental and I found a scream that sounds like Kevin McAllister from home alone (lmao) but this is a great find- make sure someone puts it up on ninWiki

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,605
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Yep, without question. Was the movie any good? Some of these movies the samples are from seem so obscure, I can't believe people find them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,485
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Yep, without question. Was the movie any good? Some of these movies the samples are from seem so obscure, I can't believe people find them.
    Sorcerer is awesome.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    2,957
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Was the movie any good?
    Just look at this fucking poster. Can it possibly be any less than totally awesome?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Here’s one I found for Ruiner and also mentioned by someone on reddit
    https://www.whosampled.com/Nine-Inch-Nails/Ruiner/
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...lly_a_pitched/
    Elephant Man!
    Last edited by Destruct26; 07-28-2019 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Momma likes cheese doodles

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruct26 View Post
    Here’s one I found for Ruiner and also mentioned by someone on reddit
    https://www.whosampled.com/Nine-Inch-Nails/Ruiner/
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...lly_a_pitched/
    Elephant Man!
    Yeah I went digging through Elephant Man years ago and heard that one. Very cool. I'm still convinced that someday I'm gonna find the watery, weird sounds from the Downward Spiral (the song itself) in a flick. I think I read that Chris Vrenna said he still has all the DAT tapes from those sessions. When I win the Powerball I'm gonna buy them from him!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Workington, Cumbria
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's likely been mentioned before but it took me a while to notice that during the "mellow" acoustic section of The Becoming, when played in reverse you can hear Mickey Rourke screaming "I Know Who I Am!" from Angel Heart which was originally sampled in the Purest Feeling version of Down In It.
    https://soundcloud.com/robbie-corrie...eversed-sample
    Last edited by RobCoz98; 07-30-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Fixed error

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    824
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I wonder what The Downward Spiral would sound like if all the samples were removed.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCoz98 View Post
    It's likely been mentioned before but it took me a while to notice that during the "mellow" acoustic section of The Becoming, when played in reverse you can hear Mickey Rourke's screaming "I Know Who I Am!" from Angel Heart which was originally sampled in the Purest Feeling version of Down In It.
    https://soundcloud.com/robbie-corrie...eversed-sample
    Wow. Nice find. TDS is the easter egg that keeps giving.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    2,957
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I wonder what The Downward Spiral would sound like if all the samples were removed.
    More or less the same. The real question is how would Pretty Hate Machine sound.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    LIC, NY
    Posts
    873
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I continue to love this community so fucking hard.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    718
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The info for "MOTP" and "Ruiner" have been added to the wiki.

    Quote Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
    I'm still convinced that someday I'm gonna find the watery, weird sounds from the Downward Spiral (the song itself) in a flick.
    According to the wiki, the watery sound comes from Alien.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    The info for "MOTP" and "Ruiner" have been added to the wiki.


    According to the wiki, the watery sound comes from Alien.
    Yep, I've heard that, so naturally I whipped out the good old bluray and gave her several listens. Still haven't found it, so if anybody out there can tell me where it is specifically, I'd mighty appreciate it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    571
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Sorcerer is awesome.
    And it's a remake of a movie that is equally awesome, The Wages of Fear.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    The info for "MOTP" and "Ruiner" have been added to the wiki.


    According to the wiki, the watery sound comes from Alien.
    Much appreciated. The one issue- The section for ruiner has the sample from Eraserhead when it was actually from The Elephant Man. But those two movies are similar from what I understand.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    718
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruct26 View Post
    Much appreciated. The one issue- The section for ruiner has the sample from Eraserhead when it was actually from The Elephant Man. But those two movies are similar from what I understand.
    Oops. Thanks for catching that. I've been busy as fuck this week and my mental acuity took a nosedive! It's fixed now.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCoz98 View Post
    It's likely been mentioned before but it took me a while to notice that during the "mellow" acoustic section of The Becoming, when played in reverse you can hear Mickey Rourke screaming "I Know Who I Am!" from Angel Heart which was originally sampled in the Purest Feeling version of Down In It.
    https://soundcloud.com/robbie-corrie...eversed-sample
    You know, I just wanted to say again what an awesome find this is. It has actually changed the way I listen to that section of The Becoming now. It really doesn't seem just like a random sample from a film thrown in there, but it has meaning. I like that the song itself is about somebody who is losing their identity, and it's quite clever how with the line "hiding backwards inside of me" there is a backwards loop of a man yelling "I know who I am! I know who I am!". Your find has actually made this song better for me!

    Great find, really. The Downward Spiral is an exceptionally complex album, and for reasons like this it is my favorite record of all time. This community is fantastic. Now...about those weird samples in the background of Piggy. I think someone needs to get Vrenna to transfer all those DAT tape samples to MP3 and put them online so I can go all Sherlock Holmes on them!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Workington, Cumbria
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
    You know, I just wanted to say again what an awesome find this is. It has actually changed the way I listen to that section of The Becoming now. It really doesn't seem just like a random sample from a film thrown in there, but it has meaning. I like that the song itself is about somebody who is losing their identity, and it's quite clever how with the line "hiding backwards inside of me" there is a backwards loop of a man yelling "I know who I am! I know who I am!". Your find has actually made this song better for me!

    Great find, really. The Downward Spiral is an exceptionally complex album, and for reasons like this it is my favorite record of all time. This community is fantastic. Now...about those weird samples in the background of Piggy. I think someone needs to get Vrenna to transfer all those DAT tape samples to MP3 and put them online so I can go all Sherlock Holmes on them!
    Glad to hear your thoughts on the sample and I definitely agree with you. I just was messing around with some songs one day on Audacity and I reversed the bridge and my jaw hit the floor upon finding it. I know that Brian Liesegang from Filter recently posted an image of some demo tapes from various bands and projects on his Instagram which include some Nine Inch Nails material from the Broken/Downward Spiral eras (he helped out in the studio and I think was a replacement touring member for a very short while) but I think he said he wouldn't leak anything out of respect for Trent or any of the other artists he has in his collection. I wonder if the earlier stuff has any hidden layers similar to this?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Great find, I agree that those samples Sorcerer. The second half of the sample also appears in Mother Inferior Got Her Gunn remix that Trent did for Marilyn Manson.

Posting Permissions