Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I need to see Once Upon A Time again but my ranking is something like this...

1 Kill Bill
    2 Inglorious Basterds
    3 Pulp Fiction
    4 Django Unchained
    5 The Hateful Eight
    6 Reservoir Dogs
    7 Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
    8 Jackie Brown
    9 Death Proof

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Mine (still haven't seen OUATIH):

1 Pulp Fiction
    2 Kill Bill
    3 Jackie Brown
    4 Inglourious Basterds
    5 Reservoir Dogs
    6 Django Unchained
    7 Hateful Eight
    8 Death Proof

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Not being cheeky; I just find it really hard to differentiate between most of the post-2000 stuff, which (obviously) I'm not a fan of:

1 Pulp Fiction
    2 Reservoir Dogs
    3 Inglourious Basterds
    4 Jackie Brown
    8 Django Unchained / Kill Bill / The Hateful Eight / Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
    9 Death Proof

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    My ranking:

1. Jackie Brown
    2. Inglourious Basterds
    3. Kill Bill
    4. Pulp Fiction
    5. Death Proof
    6. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    7. Django Unchained
    8. Reservoir Dogs
    9. The Hateful Eight

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    I need to see Jackie Brown again. I last saw it in the theater in '97/'98. I just remember being somewhat letdown after the brilliant Pulp Fiction (arguably the best U.S. film of the 1990's).

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I need to see Jackie Brown again. I last saw it in the theater in '97/'98. I just remember being somewhat letdown after the brilliant Pulp Fiction (arguably the best U.S. film of the 1990's).
    jackie brown is probably his slowest burn but it's so good. the characters are so perfectly crafted, the music is incredible, and the atmosphere is probably the most rewarding aspect of the film. i love it.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    I haven't seen OUaTiH yet, but...

1. Inglourious Basterds
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Jackie Brown
    4. The Hateful Eight
    5. Death Proof
    6. Reservoir Dogs
    7. Django Unchained
    8. Kill Bill
    Last edited by neorev; 08-07-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Funny to see everyone's ranking difffering so much. Here's mine with Death Proof and Basterds far behind, although Planet Terror really elevated the whole Grindhouse thing for me big time. I'm also a sucker for Western so go figure...

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Reservoir Dogs
    3. The Hateful Eight
    4. Django Unchained
    5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    6. Jackie Brown
    7. Kill Bill
    8. Death Proof
    9. Inglourious Basterds (bonus points for Fassbender though)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Weird to see Kill Bill, Django, and Basterds so low in many of the rankings here.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    1. Kill Bill
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Reservoir Dogs
    4. Jackie Brown
    5. Death Proof
    6. Inglorious Basterds
    7. Hateful 8
    8. Django Unchained

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Weird to see Kill Bill, Django, and Basterds so low in many of the rankings here.
    I love Inglorious Basterds, but I found Kill Bill and Django to be kinda ehhh. Not bad movies, but not Tarantino's best work when compared to others in his body of work.

After I made my list, I decided to rewatch Django Unchained just to see if I felt any differently watching it now. I only saw it a couple of times. It moved up ahead of Kill Bill, knocking Kill Bill to the bottom of the list.

I've seen Kill Bill numerous of times and was never enthralled with its characters like I am with characters from other Tarantino films.
    Last edited by neorev; 08-07-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I think many people were expecting Pulp Fiction 2 and it was definitely not that, nor was it meant to be. After Kill Bill, Tarantino locked into a certain style, and while I've enjoyed most of what he's made since then (The Hateful Eight being the only exception), it's refreshing to watch Jackie Brown and see how he restrained himself after Pulp Fiction. It's not a flashy film (although it does have its moments of flash), and it's all the better for it. It's probably his most human story too. Jackie Brown's struggle to rise above her circumstances and come out on top is riveting stuff in my opinion. I would love to see Tarantino make a film like that again, but like I said, he's locked into a specific style now and I don't see him changing that any time soon.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 08-07-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I forgot to mention it earlier, but I watched this after commenting on the movie here and Mike and Jay pretty much summed up exactly how I felt about this movie (love those guys). I agree with one or both of them more often than not, but this time I felt like they were reading my mind.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Can't sit through a half hour those dorks.
    Last edited by RhettButler; 08-13-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Saw this again and enjoyed it as much, maybe even a little more, as I see how well crafted and constructed the film is. During my initial viewing, I thought "This is overlong," or "Is this really necessary?" at times. However, upon my second viewing, I see how Tarintino had a masterplan, how everything truly does fit together. For example, when DeCaprio is talking to the child on the set and telling her about the book he's reading (how the protagonist is a shell of his former self), I wondered if it was necessary at first (I got that it was an analogy to DeCaprio's character), but now I see how pivotal that scene is. The movie is about Rick Dalton's (DeCaprio) rise, fall and rise again. Dalton tries to tell his story and struggle with the child, and when she later tells him "that was the best acting I've ever seen," he feels fully redeemed, like a Phoenix Rising from the ashes of being a has-been, and now his confidence has been restored. And the banter between the two is delightful.

I also better appreciate the final moments of the film, when Dalton and Tate finally meet, and the two stories told simultaneously come together. Also, as I mentioned in the Tarintino soundtracks thread, this soundtrack is fucking awesome. Awesome sampling of 60's rock, nothing super obvious, with some cool radio ads thrown in, to really give you the flavor of listening to the radio in 1969. And the quality is kind of crappy too, like you're actually listening to these songs on some cheap FM radio from Sears.
    Last edited by RhettButler; 08-13-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Saw it yesterday and loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    1. Kill Bill
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Reservoir Dogs
    4. Jackie Brown
    5. Death Proof
    6. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    7. Inglorious Basterds
    8. Hateful 8
    9. Django Unchained

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Interesting piece on the movie. Discusses sexism and other problems with the film. I don't know if I agree with him, but it's a thoughtful article. https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/8/1...ined-tarantino