Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Animal Kingdom (2016 - ?)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Animal Kingdom (2016 - ?)

Did a search and couldn’t find a thread for this show I’m addicted to. Atticus and his wife did the theme song (“Welcome To The Jungle” — edit, it’s apparently called “Big Love” now) and three NIN songs have so far been featured in various episodes: The Background World, I'm Not From This World and Burning Bright (Field On Fire) to superb dramatic effect each time. Interestingly, the show’s theme song sort of sounds like “Reptile” from the way the first drawn out “she...” is sung.

Anyhow, up to season 4 now. Inspired by and based on a 2010 Australian movie.

The most recent episode, Ambo, was absolutely brilliant. Spoiler: Jay getting that revenge on the Mexican bitch was totally satisfying, though I wish they would’ve shown it on screen.

Anyone else addicted to the show? Pope’s character is so well-cast, especially compared to the 2010 film version’s counterpart.

Here’s the next episode’s synopsis:

J faces the consequences of his missteps with Mia; Pope worries about Smurf's disappearance, while Smurf visits someone from her past; Craig grows frustrated with Deran's secrecy after Deran recruits him for a dangerous assignment.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 07-18-2021 at 10:16 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Never seen the movie it's based off of but damn I'm loving the show, it's Point Break meets Sons of Anarchy. Hard to pass that up!

Yeah whoever they have as their music director deserves some huge props, I even heard some Gary Numan somewhere along the way.

Pope is one interesting character, he's certainly got some stuff going on. There is some wacky relationship between him and Smurf that's for sure.

Ellen Barkin's Smurf is so good, you really love to hate her sometimes but kinda want to keep her around too because she's damn smart and just knows how to wrap people around her finger to get her way. I'm def enjoying the backstory on her character this season.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Never seen the movie it's based off of but damn I'm loving the show, it's Point Break meets Sons of Anarchy. Hard to pass that up!

Yeah whoever they have as their music director deserves some huge props, I even heard some Gary Numan somewhere along the way.

Pope is one interesting character, he's certainly got some stuff going on. There is some wacky relationship between him and Smurf that's for sure.

Ellen Barkin's Smurf is so good, you really love to hate her sometimes but kinda want to keep her around too because she's damn smart and just knows how to wrap people around her finger to get her way. I'm def enjoying the backstory on her character this season.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    The movie version is played by Australian actor Ben Mendelsohn (who was also in The Dark Knight Rises), and even has the same sort of protruding upper lip as Shawn Hatosy. Fun fact: Shawn Hatosy (TV Pope) was in the first season of Fear The Walking Dead as the army dude that Daniel (the Mexican barber) tortures for answers. Atticus also did the opening music for that show.

In the film, Spoiler: Jay kills Pope right at the end.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    The film is fantastic. the woman who played the conniving grandmother was nominated for an Oscar for her performance. There's a ton of Australian slang in the movie too, stuff I had never heard before like "sticky beak".

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    The film is fantastic. the woman who played the conniving grandmother was nominated for an Oscar for her performance. There's a ton of Australian slang in the movie too, stuff I had never heard before like "sticky beak".
    Come down ‘ere ta Sydney where I am and I’ll give ya a sticky beak at me old fella mate.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Come down ‘ere ta Sydney where I am and I’ll give ya a sticky beak at me old fella mate.
    That would be real ridgie didge of ya.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It's funny that this show has some Nine Inch Nails songs on it. I've never actually seen it, but my lifelong best friend does the score for the show.

When we were 14 he was the one who introduced me to Nine Inch Nails!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    It's funny that this show has some Nine Inch Nails songs on it. I've never actually seen it, but my lifelong best friend does the score for the show.

Oh nice! Guessing that would be Samuel Jones of Alexis & Sam?

Absolutely sounds NIN inspired to be sure.

https://soundcloud.com/alexisandsam/...ed-film-scores
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 07-23-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post

Whoa, that’s incredible.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Oh nice! Guessing that would be Samuel Jones of Alexis & Sam?

Absolutely sounds NIN inspired to be sure.

https://soundcloud.com/alexisandsam/...ed-film-scores
    Yes, Sam and his ex-wife Alexis do a lot of different scores together. I'm pretty sure he actually introduced me to ETS back in 2002, when we were in the 9th grade lol. but I think it's been a long time since he's come here.

Together they also have a sort of post-punkish band called DYAN.

His work is a lot broader than nin inspired music although a lot of it is electronic/Industrial there's a big jazz component.

https://keuschwerk.bandcamp.com/album/jazzwerk

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Renewed for Season 5, baby!

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    ^ Woohoo!

Man, comparing J from season one to now is like apples and oranges. That was so cunning and brutal, what he did to Angela on tonight’s episode at the taco bar, haha.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Well that escalated quickly (episode 12, Ghosts).

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Anyone know when the next season will air?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Anyone know when the next season will air?
    Not sure of an exact date yet just that they're promoting "this summer" on the socials.

Yeah fuck, it's been too damn long.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I might have to watch this.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

JULY 11th, SEASON 5.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Fuck! Yes!

I wonder what NIN tunes they’ll use this season.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 05-20-2021 at 09:52 PM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I might have to watch this.
    If you’re keen, watch the original Australian movie it was based on first. It’s another beast altogether but that and the series are
    both amazing and addictive.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    @Erneuert

Well look who showed up from Fear the Walking Dead.

You'll know who i mean if you've seen the episode.

Damn that was a good premiere!

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Waiting for the torrent to appear online lol

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    @Erneuert

Well look who showed up from Fear the Walking Dead.

You'll know who i mean if you've seen the episode.

Damn that was a good premiere!
    Ohhh, that douchebag. I was hoping it’d be John Dorie!

He’s good at playing sinister characters, I’ll say that. I wonder if Pope letting him go will bite him in the ass or he’ll come back and save Pope’s ass, @thelastdisciple?

That’s two Fear The Walking Dead crossovers now. This guy, and Pope in the first season of FTWD as the soldier being tortured by Daniel.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 07-18-2021 at 10:08 PM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Bumped from the 12 Rounds thread. Animal Kingdom theme song finally out there in full (Big Love):

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    @thelastdisciple - how was episode 3? Any NIN music featured in it? haha

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    @thelastdisciple - how was episode 3? Any NIN music featured in it? haha
    Nah, unfortunately but the job they did was a cool change from the other stuff they've done.

The tension is starting to build up with J and his uncles though, I know we'll be in for a lot of infighting this season and who will ultimately get to be the big cheese.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 07-26-2021 at 12:56 AM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    That last scene with Pope and Smurf’s ashes on the bed hit me in all the feels. Especially after trying to confide in J moments beforehand.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    At the end of the latest episode Pope tells J that he shouldn’t have shot Smurf. But wasn’t she going to shoot Pope and J basically saved him?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    At the end of the latest episode Pope tells J that he shouldn’t have shot Smurf. But wasn’t she going to shoot Pope and J basically saved him?
    I just watched that scene again, i had forgot that she even got a shot off and nicked Pope's ear.

Yeah it seemed like she was pretty close to pulling the trigger again but i wonder if there's any chance she could have been bluffing? I'm sure she was banking on any one of the others doing her in to save him but then again it's Smurf and she tends to follow through.

So I wonder if J will bring that up with Pope at all, whether or not he cares is another thing knowing him lol

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I just watched that scene again, i had forgot that she even got a shot off and nicked Pope's ear.

Yeah it seemed like she was pretty close to pulling the trigger again but i wonder if there's any chance she could have been bluffing? I'm sure she was banking on any one of the others doing her in to save him but then again it's Smurf and she tends to follow through.

So I wonder if J will bring that up with Pope at all, whether or not he cares is another thing knowing him lol
    Perhaps he just means he shouldn’t have done it in the manner that he did; which ultimately has resulted in this PTSD for Pope. Maybe if he shot her in the leg and did the rest out of sight it would have been better for them all.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    "Tony Hawkins"

Is there some reason they couldn't just say Tony Hawk? though i guess he's also like a brand name at this point and it's probably some legal thing. I feel like he would personally be into this show though, surprised he hasn't had an actual cameo appearance at this point. That'd be bad ass!