Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire of Light (2022)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Empire of Light (2022)

[at]NINHotline just retweeted the above.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I hope this is true. But you also have to remember than early test screenings (this movie is not out/completed for another 4-5 months) almost ALWAYS use temporary scores, almost ALWAYS pre-existing scores. I wouldn't be surprised if this film is using various existing Trent scores until the real score is finished by Thomas Newman. The director usually uses Newman and that's who's currently credited in all official press. Unless the viewer is a huge Trent fan and would recognize new material from existing, I'm not raising my hopes until an official announcement.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    I hope this is true. But you also have to remember than early test screenings (this movie is not out/completed for another 4-5 months) almost ALWAYS use temporary scores, almost ALWAYS pre-existing scores. I wouldn't be surprised if this film is using various existing Trent scores until the real score is finished by Thomas Newman. The director usually uses Newman and that's who's currently credited in all official press. Unless the viewer is a huge Trent fan and would recognize new material from existing, I'm not raising my hopes until an official announcement.
    I had this thought, too. I guess we'll see.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    OK it is indeed TRAR - check the trailer which has their names on it

IMDB has Thomas Newman as composer, is it fact checked?

As an aside, wonder how this round of films will do for them in terms of awards. They've been on fire since Watchmen with every score getting awards love of some description unless there's some films I'm forgetting. This film seems like pure Oscar bait in so many ways
    Last edited by WorzelG; 08-24-2022 at 09:10 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yo… That brass…

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Well, that trailer gave me goosebumps, so that's a good sign.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Cinematography is by Roger Deakins, the best out there. With TRAR at the score helm, this movie is going to knock it out of the park next awards season.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    IMDB has Thomas Newman as composer, is it fact checked?
    You can never really trust IMDb. I'm guessing he was listed as composer because someone assumed that he would do the score based on his previous collaborations with Mendes.

As for the film, it looks good on the visual front (thanks Roger Deakins!) and I like the cast, but it does seem a bit like Oscar bait. We'll see how it goes.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I've had that trailer on repeat. This seems like TRAR doing a grandiose soundtrack akin to Hans Zimmer's style (which I love). I have a gut feeling that this will reach the heights of The Social Network, my favorite score by them. Without having heard any other piece of music for this soundtrack, I'm sure I'll be buying this on vinyl.
    Last edited by cahernandez; 08-24-2022 at 03:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like this will premiere at Telluride Film Festival on 3 September, then going to Toronto International Film Festival on 12 September, and next month will be at the London Film Festival on 12 October.
    Last edited by explodey; 09-02-2022 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Missed Tellluride

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Hmmm, Sep. 12th I might have been able to swing but it looks like the first public screening at TIFF is the following day and that doesn't work for me, and by the next weekend I'll be at RF... guess I'll wait for the wide release. Love me some Olivia!
    Last edited by botley; 09-02-2022 at 09:50 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Love me some Olivia!
    This. An Olivia Colman-led film by Sam Mendes with Roger Deakins as DP is already a must see. TR/AR scoring it just makes it that much more exciting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Reviews are up from TIFF, so so on the film, positive praise for the score. Some snippets:

"...beautifully rendered in the film’s score, moody dots of piano and ambient hum—the sound of the planet in motion—composed by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross." - Vanity fair

"Also expectedly great is the score from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, which sounds like it could’ve been recorded using the old abandoned piano in the theater’s long-closed wing. It’s a relatively unassuming score, but helps highlight the film’s best moments, where the film, again, focuses on that magic of the movies aspect.” – Collider

On the soundtrack, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross supply a lovely music-box score.” - Variety

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Bless your heart, listening now! First song in, it sounds like TRAR are doing Sigur Ros now, this is great stuff. Too bad I have a work meeting for the next 3 hours, so will have to complete my listen later.
    Last edited by cahernandez; 11-03-2022 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    lol, there's a PDF linked on the page and it's from years ago.

http://fsl.web.s3.amazonaws.com/production/media/NOV_SCRNCAL_C6.pdf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    oh my god my heart
    hearing new trent release after a while is such an amazing feeling especially if it sounds like that first track
    Last edited by Wulgaren; 11-03-2022 at 03:55 PM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Direct file download links (MP3s) are listed on this page (just search in your browser for "empire of light"):

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.p...aturing-music/

This FYC release may be identical to the eventual soundtrack release, since the artwork and ID3 tags seem to indicate as such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For those who weren't aware, the track used in the trailer is not actually TR & AR - it's called 'Interrupted' by Boxta, and can be found on the usual services.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the link.

Beautiful stuff so far. Definitely picking up some Together vibes in some of the ambience and vocal loops, which is just fine with me. It's got its own thing to be sure.

Looking forward to living with this one (and eventually watching the film).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yes! First two songs and it reminds me of Mid90s so far -which is great because that one still gets played often but is far too short!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    So this isn’t even going to be put on sale? That’s a bit weird

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This is beautiful stuff. Perfect for wintertime.
    I think it's better than Soul or Mank. Their best since Watchmen.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    So this isn’t even going to be put on sale? That’s a bit weird
    This is just the studio's "for your consideration" page for awards nominations/voting. It'll probably go on sale closer to the movie's release next month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    this soundtrack is absolutely gorgeous and i had so many intense feelings while listening to it, just magickal

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    The ambient vocals are some of my favorite stuff on here. Adds SO MUCH.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    "Solitary People" is just... transcendence.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Is it me, or are the tracks at that link different from yesterday. There are 16 today instead of 15 and the titles are different... Has the FYC been changed to the proper score? Am I crazy?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Direct file download links (MP3s) are listed on this page (just search in your browser for "empire of light"):

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.p...aturing-music/

This FYC release may be identical to the eventual soundtrack release, since the artwork and ID3 tags seem to indicate as such.
    I'm not crazy. The tracks listed at the above quoted link are different from the tracks at the link below today!

https://www.searchlightpictures.com/...ht/soundtrack/

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NIN64 View Post
    Is it me, or are the tracks at that link different from yesterday. There are 16 today instead of 15 and the titles are different... Has the FYC been changed to the proper score? Am I crazy?
    You're definitely not crazy. Those track names are different for sure. Has the music changed as well?