Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: Mank (2020)

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    The Mank FYC (which is different from the retail album) is available to stream here:

https://film.netflixawards.com/mank

The fine people over at the John Williams Fan Network extracted the URL download links for the 24-bit lossless(!) WAV files here:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.p...aturing-music/

Unfortunately, for some reason there is one track missing from the streaming that is available on the FYC CD. "Billboard" comes after "(If Only You Could) Save Me" on the CD. Not sure if it corresponds exactly to one of the tracks on the retail album. Not missing, see below
    Last edited by TheBang; 04-27-2021 at 02:32 AM. Reason: not missing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Unfortunately, for some reason there is one track missing from the streaming that is available on the FYC CD. "Billboard" comes after "(If Only You Could) Save Me" on the CD. Not sure if it corresponds exactly to one of the tracks on the retail album.
    Not true.

The person who made the design on the CD covers mislabled the two tracks that are merged together. The CD is "missing" that track, when in reality Billboard was combined with an instrumental source cue of the song.

This is because score CDs cannot contain original songs within them. So we are not missing anything on the CD or in the digital files. They were just combined and the tracklisting accientally lists it as another track. Academy rules are strict when it comes to submitting work for Best Original Score and Best Original Song. I think after the failed nomination for the song at all other award bodies, including the Golden Globes, the Netflix FYC PR team decided not to promote the song, so they only sent the score out.

Also of note, the .WAV files are 24-bit / 48.000kHz while the CD is only 16/44. The CD is about a second shorter, otherwise it's the same content in a lesser quality.
    Last edited by Mank; 04-26-2021 at 05:44 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    ^^ Awesome, thanks for the info!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    ^^ Awesome, thanks for the info!
    No worries.

To clarify: the tracklisting on the CD is an error. The online FYC and the CD match, but the online FYC is 24/48 and the CD by nature is only 16/44. The CD runs a second shorter. The white CD was sent to the Academy, the black one was sent everywhere else.

I'm guessing the person who made the covers for Netflix's FYC campaign was given a slightly different list (where the two songs were listed seperately), or messed up. I'm going with the former since all other combined cues were correctly labeled. "If Only You Could Save Me" and "Billboard" are combined on the CD just as in the .WAV files, and in both it is only an instrumental source cue.

I'm also guessing that maybe they considered putting the full song on there for consideration but didn't at the last minute given how it was ignored by all other awards. On the Mank FYC website, it's not even part of the tracklisting.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I've noticed one additional discrepancy. Towards the end of the FYC score, there's a track called "Willie's Been Paying, Welles Arrives" on the digital and "Willie's Been Playing, Welles Arrives" on the CD. I haven't seen the movie yet, so does anyone know whether it's supposed to be Paying or Playing?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Paying. Fer sher. :-)

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I confirmed one more misprint on the FYC CD sleeve. It says "Election Night Nightmarish Montage" is the first track on Disc 2, but, in fact, it appears as the last track of Disc 1.