Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
Results 361 to 380 of 380

Thread: Mank (2020)

  1. #361
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,051
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The Mank FYC (which is different from the retail album) is available to stream here:

    https://film.netflixawards.com/mank

    The fine people over at the John Williams Fan Network extracted the URL download links for the 24-bit lossless(!) WAV files here:

    https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.p...aturing-music/

    Unfortunately, for some reason there is one track missing from the streaming that is available on the FYC CD. "Billboard" comes after "(If Only You Could) Save Me" on the CD. Not sure if it corresponds exactly to one of the tracks on the retail album. Not missing, see below
    Last edited by TheBang; 04-27-2021 at 02:32 AM. Reason: not missing

  2. #362
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Unfortunately, for some reason there is one track missing from the streaming that is available on the FYC CD. "Billboard" comes after "(If Only You Could) Save Me" on the CD. Not sure if it corresponds exactly to one of the tracks on the retail album.
    Not true.

    The person who made the design on the CD covers mislabled the two tracks that are merged together. The CD is "missing" that track, when in reality Billboard was combined with an instrumental source cue of the song.

    This is because score CDs cannot contain original songs within them. So we are not missing anything on the CD or in the digital files. They were just combined and the tracklisting accientally lists it as another track. Academy rules are strict when it comes to submitting work for Best Original Score and Best Original Song. I think after the failed nomination for the song at all other award bodies, including the Golden Globes, the Netflix FYC PR team decided not to promote the song, so they only sent the score out.

    Also of note, the .WAV files are 24-bit / 48.000kHz while the CD is only 16/44. The CD is about a second shorter, otherwise it's the same content in a lesser quality.
    Last edited by Mank; 04-26-2021 at 05:44 PM.

  3. #363
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,051
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    ^^ Awesome, thanks for the info!

  4. #364
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    ^^ Awesome, thanks for the info!
    No worries.

    To clarify: the tracklisting on the CD is an error. The online FYC and the CD match, but the online FYC is 24/48 and the CD by nature is only 16/44. The CD runs a second shorter. The white CD was sent to the Academy, the black one was sent everywhere else.

    I'm guessing the person who made the covers for Netflix's FYC campaign was given a slightly different list (where the two songs were listed seperately), or messed up. I'm going with the former since all other combined cues were correctly labeled. "If Only You Could Save Me" and "Billboard" are combined on the CD just as in the .WAV files, and in both it is only an instrumental source cue.

    I'm also guessing that maybe they considered putting the full song on there for consideration but didn't at the last minute given how it was ignored by all other awards. On the Mank FYC website, it's not even part of the tracklisting.

  5. #365
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,051
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I've noticed one additional discrepancy. Towards the end of the FYC score, there's a track called "Willie's Been Paying, Welles Arrives" on the digital and "Willie's Been Playing, Welles Arrives" on the CD. I haven't seen the movie yet, so does anyone know whether it's supposed to be Paying or Playing?

  6. #366
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stalk my posts
    Posts
    592
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Paying. Fer sher. :-)

  7. #367
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,051
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I confirmed one more misprint on the FYC CD sleeve. It says "Election Night Nightmarish Montage" is the first track on Disc 2, but, in fact, it appears as the last track of Disc 1.

  8. #368
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    34.167488, -118.381863
    Posts
    1,423
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    I sent an inquiry to NetflixAwards, and it seems they only printed sheet music for the "All This Time" cue. So, the other two pieces of sheet music may have come from another source (similar to the one with a personalized card).

  9. #369
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    I sent an inquiry to NetflixAwards, and it seems they only printed sheet music for the "All This Time" cue. So, the other two pieces of sheet music may have come from another source (similar to the one with a personalized card).
    To be fair, they deny the white Mank CD exists, but then confirmed it was Academy only in another reply.

  10. #370
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ajax, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Is this ever going to be available for purchase on vinyl ? Did they not say it was coming or did I dream that ?

  11. #371
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,392
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr9inchnail View Post
    Is this ever going to be available for purchase on vinyl ? Did they not say it was coming or did I dream that ?
    It was my understanding that a commercial release was coming down the pike. I wonder if Mank tanking at the awards coupled with vinyl production shortages worldwide ended up putting the kibosh on that.

  12. #372
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sparkwood and 21
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr9inchnail View Post
    Is this ever going to be available for purchase on vinyl ? Did they not say it was coming or did I dream that ?
    You definitely didn’t dream it. From an email sent to subscribers, dated December 5 2020;

    Vinyl fans: we will be offering the score on vinyl early next year. The vinyl score will not contain the extra two hours of material.
    Last edited by muad'nin; 08-30-2021 at 06:09 AM.

  13. #373
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ajax, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    It was my understanding that a commercial release was coming down the pike. I wonder if Mank tanking at the awards coupled with vinyl production shortages worldwide ended up putting the kibosh on that.
    I'm hoping it's just vinyl production delays. I really enjoyed the Mank OST and that packaging looked awesome! Would really love to have it in my collection. Hopefully it will come *soon*

  14. #374
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ajax, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    You definitely didn’t dream it. From an email sent to subscribers, dated December 5 2020;

    Vinyl fans: we will be offering the score on vinyl early next year. The vinyl score will not contain the extra two hours of material.

    Early next year ? Ooops! LOL. Oh well here's to hoping it's just due to vinyl production delays. Glad I didn't dream it and hoping it will still eventually be released.

  15. #375
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sparkwood and 21
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    ‘Constellations’ may be one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful pieces of music the duo have created. I only wish it was longer. I could listen to it forever.
    Last edited by muad'nin; 04-09-2022 at 01:42 AM.

  16. #376
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,768
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Both TR and Kraw have confirmed Mank vinyl is in the works and coming....soon™.

    Discord #nin-chat channel earlier today (h/t @spahn ):

    Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 6.57.21 PM.png

  17. #377
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    LIC, NY
    Posts
    1,375
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I mean...the heat death of the universe is coming "soon", depending on one's definition of the word.

  18. #378
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX 24.24.1.400[Inc]
    Posts
    810
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    It was my understanding that a commercial release was coming down the pike. I wonder if Mank tanking at the awards coupled with vinyl production shortages worldwide ended up putting the kibosh on that.
    *Leviathant swivels around, drops the needle, and laughs at us mere mortals.


  19. #379
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,392
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tangentially related context: I pre-ordered the vinyl release of Pretty Eight Machine by inversephase. In February, I received an email saying that the vinyl had gone into production, with an expected delivery date of the first half of June 2022. I know that the Wax Trax super deluxe edition of Love's Secret Domain by Coil was stuck on a container ship for months. This had been announced in February as well... but February 2021. And people are only just now receiving their copies.

    I was given the nudge to post what I had, but the reality is that no one fucking knows what is going on with vinyl production. It's probably for the best that they just laid low. At least they didn't take preorders!

  20. #380
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    LIC, NY
    Posts
    1,375
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Tangentially related context: I pre-ordered the vinyl release of Pretty Eight Machine by inversephase. In February, I received an email saying that the vinyl had gone into production, with an expected delivery date of the first half of June 2022. I know that the Wax Trax super deluxe edition of Love's Secret Domain by Coil was stuck on a container ship for months. This had been announced in February as well... but February 2021. And people are only just now receiving their copies.

    I was given the nudge to post what I had, but the reality is that no one fucking knows what is going on with vinyl production. It's probably for the best that they just laid low. At least they didn't take preorders!
    So....soon?

Posting Permissions