I don't mean to be the "Ackchyually" guy, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
TGWTDT was supposed to be a trilogy, but the first didn't do well, so the studio killed it.
It grossed $232.6 million on a $90 million budget, and it got great reviews, so it's considered a commercial and critical success. I don't think TGWTDT under performed, but I think the studio expected or hoped it would make more. That and the fact that Fincher and Daniel Craig are probably pretty expensive (and sequels tend to make less than the initial installment — unless it's an Avengers or Star Wars movie). Plus, they should never have released it on Christmas day (what were they thinking with that?).

Similar situation with Mindhunter. That said, I'm hoping the deal he recently signed with Netflix means he's not too upset about the Mindhunter situation.
From what I've read, it was Fincher's decision (out of respect for the crew) to release the actors and Mindhunter crew from their contracts so they weren't just waiting around for him to finish working on Mank and could find other work in the interim. It sounds like he needed a break from it after stretching himself thin while season 2 production was underway. I read somewhere that Netflix is open to doing a third season and in one of the most recent Fincher interviews, he seems open to returning to it, as well (he mentioned finishing it in the '90s with them arresting BTK). So maybe (hopefully) there's still hope for Mindhunter season 3.

So here's hoping we're on the cusp of a lot of new Fincher projects hitting our at-home screens.
That part sounds fantastic! I'm always looking forward to the next Fincher project and it seems like Netflix will let him do his thing, so sign me up!