Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Mank (2020)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    My god, this release is huge. I need to carve out more time to listen to this!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Makes me happy to see TR+AR / The Null Corporation embracing bandcamp. Wonder if they will start releasing their previous releases soon.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m0reta View Post
    Wait till 3am EST to buy as it's Bandcamp Friday!!
    Oh man, I actually kind of feel for Bandcamp. The timing's pretty coincidental, but I'm imagining the news bouncing around the offices now.

A) "Guys. GUYS. BIG NEWS. The new soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for David Fincher's Netflix film? They've agreed to put an exclusive version up with us! That's huge!"
    B) "Oh wow, that's amazing. That film's coming out soon right? I think I saw a trailer."
    A) "Yeah, you know what, you're right. It looks like it's going on Netflix on December 4th."
    B) "Hang on. The fourth?"
    A) "Yeah, why?"
    B) "Trent Reznor's first release with us, a 3.5 hour release, gigabytes in size when downloaded losslessly by thousands of fans... is coming out on the first Friday of December?"
    A) "..."
    B) "..."
    A) "Is it too late to cancel Bandcamp Friday?"

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    My first thought after seeing the tracklist is I wish they'd edit the music into less tracks but longer ones.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Bit annoyed as it’s Friday in the UK but no Mank on Netflix yet? Must be set to be released US time or something. I want to watch the film before listening to the music

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mank itself is up on Netflix in AUS.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Downloaded in mp3 to listen at work right now. Beautiful, beautiful music. And the Adryon de León feature is a nice surprise amidst the instrumental work.

Will download the flac later, when I get home.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Woh! Delighted to see TR&AR using Bandcamp. Though - what with it also being the final Bandcamp Friday - my wallet is less happy.

Time for Null Corp to start issuing some ultra low run cassettes!

--edit--

Holy shit! This score is stunning. Obviously very different to their previous work, but also so obviously them. And whoever sequenced it did a great job.
    Last edited by Tom; 12-04-2020 at 04:17 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Holy shit, 87 tracks?!?!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascender View Post
    Holy shit, 87 tracks?!?!
    Clocks in at 3h 32min

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    If the 52 track score was all we got, this could've easily been my least favorite soundtrack. Not that it's bad, but big band jazz music is just not for me.
    For that reason I wasn't really looking forward to this score, but the 2 hour TR&AR "demo" stuff will get repeated plays.
    That'll be my go-to version if I want to listen to the score they did for Mank.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    If the 52 track score was all we got, this could've easily been my least favorite soundtrack. Not that it's bad, but big band jazz music is just not for me.
    It's not what I came here for, but so far I like it. Will need some repeated listens to see I can truly appreciate it in the long run. But I'm glad they are branching out a little and explore different genres.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    First impression... It’s terrific!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    For some reason this wasn't released on YouTube Music but seems to be everywhere else

Q: are the demos tr+ar or are they done by the orchestra?
    Last edited by 3knic; 12-04-2020 at 07:32 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I need more money. fuck you 2020

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    My first thought after seeing the tracklist is I wish they'd edit the music into less tracks but longer ones.
    Listening to the standard score release on Tidal (I'm going to buy it as well, of course, to get the demos) right now, and I don't think that's necessarily the right way to go. These are all sequenced to flow together pretty nicely, and they likely correspond to individual cues in the film. Excited to watch later today and pore over the full soundtrack this weekend!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3knic View Post
    Q: are the demos tr+ar or are they done by the orchestra?
    They are period authentic, so sound very much in the same vein as the finished versions, though stripped down. But based on Fincher's comments about the first batch of demos he received, I suspect they are TR&AR. But yeah, don't leap on the demos if you're looking to avoid the bigband.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    But based on Fincher's comments about the first batch of demos he received, I suspect they are TR&AR. But yeah, don't leap on the demos if you're looking to avoid the bigband.
    They confirmed the above during the Variety keynote discussion: the demos are TR & AR, are mostly (maybe entirely) synthetic string / horns / etc sounds.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    They are period authentic, so sound very much in the same vein as the finished versions, though stripped down. But based on Fincher's comments about the first batch of demos he received, I suspect they are TR&AR. But yeah, don't leap on the demos if you're looking to avoid the bigband.
    It's much less big band though. As you said, stripped down.
    Some are just TR piano pieces, the ones we're familiar with. I'm getting Gone Girl vibes from some of the demos.
    I'd say if you want to avoid the big band stuff and just want to listen to the TR&AR score, skip to track 53.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    they likely correspond to individual cues in the film.
    I think this is most likely a consequence of the fact that music is actually played by other performers. On the past projects most of the tracks were usually extended/unedited versions of the pieces, because they purposely worked that way. Official soundtracks are much better listening experience than the corresponding FYC versions with shorter edits.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m0reta View Post
    Wait till 3am EST to buy as it's Bandcamp Friday!!

https://trentreznor-atticusross.band...re-with-extras
    It's about damn time they jumped on the Bandcamp bandwagon. Waiting to watch the film before I listen to the score, but this is quite an impressive release!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Can I ask where Fincher talks about the first batch of demos he received please? I must have missed that

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    TRAR doing jazz. This is what I've been waiting for.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Yes fucking please!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It's about damn time they jumped on the Bandcamp bandwagon. Waiting to watch the film before I listen to the score, but this is quite an impressive release!
    Yeah I know, finally. I've been saying for years please take my money just give me the files, I get the vinyl thing, even own a few myself, and i still collect and buy cds so I have no room to speak.

Anyways gonna watch the film a few times first before I listen to this.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Bird Box Deluxe, Waves, Watchmen, Ghosts V and VI, Mank and Soul (which will likely be great) all in just over year's time. An incredible wealth of music spanning multiple genres and time periods, without so much as a TR vocal in sight. Not since Coil has a pair of musicians accomplished so much creatively and prolifically with so many different styles of music. It's head-spinning..

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    My only minor grumble is that they've produced at least some of the pieces as if they were recorded in the 30s; I get it, of course, but I'd love to hear higher fidelity versions. It's a real tease because - listening now on a big system - the pieces that they haven't done this with sound fantastic.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Can I ask where Fincher talks about the first batch of demos he received please? I must have missed that
    The source slips my mind I'm afraid - I can't recall whether it was an article or a video. In any case, Fincher said, roughly, that initially he hadn't given them any firm direction and so didn't know what to expect when the first batch of demos arrived, and he was surprised to find that they were period authentic.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    The source slips my mind I'm afraid - I can't recall whether it was an article or a video. In any case, Fincher said, roughly, that initially he hadn't given them any firm direction and so didn't know what to expect when the first batch of demos arrived, and he was surprised to find that they were period authentic.
    Thanks, I’ll have a look

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Hah, man, I hadn't been reading anything about this and was unprepared for the vast stylistic change for this soundtrack. Definitely loving it, as I'm quite fond of this big-band-y kind of sound in general. If I had one complaint about TR+AR's soundtrack work, it's that they've mostly all resided in about the same sort of sonic space -- I'm sure there's lots of soundtrack tracks of theirs where I wouldn't be able to tell you which film they were from. This one stands out wonderfully!

Makes me excited about Soul as well -- I'd been wondering how in the world their usual aesthetic would play in that context.