Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Mank (2020)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I don't mean to be the "Ackchyually" guy, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    TGWTDT was supposed to be a trilogy, but the first didn't do well, so the studio killed it.
    It grossed $232.6 million on a $90 million budget, and it got great reviews, so it's considered a commercial and critical success. I don't think TGWTDT under performed, but I think the studio expected or hoped it would make more. That and the fact that Fincher and Daniel Craig are probably pretty expensive (and sequels tend to make less than the initial installment — unless it's an Avengers or Star Wars movie). Plus, they should never have released it on Christmas day (what were they thinking with that?).

Similar situation with Mindhunter. That said, I'm hoping the deal he recently signed with Netflix means he's not too upset about the Mindhunter situation.
    From what I've read, it was Fincher's decision (out of respect for the crew) to release the actors and Mindhunter crew from their contracts so they weren't just waiting around for him to finish working on Mank and could find other work in the interim. It sounds like he needed a break from it after stretching himself thin while season 2 production was underway. I read somewhere that Netflix is open to doing a third season and in one of the most recent Fincher interviews, he seems open to returning to it, as well (he mentioned finishing it in the '90s with them arresting BTK). So maybe (hopefully) there's still hope for Mindhunter season 3.

So here's hoping we're on the cusp of a lot of new Fincher projects hitting our at-home screens.
    That part sounds fantastic! I'm always looking forward to the next Fincher project and it seems like Netflix will let him do his thing, so sign me up!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    It grossed $232.6 million on a $90 million budget, and it got great reviews, so it's considered a commercial and critical success. I don't think TGWTDT under performed, but I think the studio expected or hoped it would make more.
    From what I understand, Fincher and the studio couldn't agree on a budget for the sequels. The studio wanted to pair down the budget based on how TGWTDT did, and Fincher didn't want to compromise, so he left.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    It grossed $232.6 million on a $90 million budget, and it got great reviews, so it's considered a commercial and critical success. I don't think TGWTDT under performed, but I think the studio expected or hoped it would make more. That and the fact that Fincher and Daniel Craig are probably pretty expensive (and sequels tend to make less than the initial installment — unless it's an Avengers or Star Wars movie). Plus, they should never have released it on Christmas day (what were they thinking with that?).
    It only grossed a little over 100 million domestically, though. Fincher cast people like Joel Kinnaman and Robin Wright in the first movie with the understanding that they would have bigger roles in the sequels, but then they never happened. As BRoswell pointed out, Fincher and the studio couldn't come to an agreement. And I'm using some specific examples, but I'm talking in general about times Fincher has spoken about his frustration with studios giving lots of money to big fun superhero/family movies but then not providing enough of a budget for smart, challenging, adult projects. He said when Sony approached him about TGWTDT, they said do you want to come and make this R-rated challenging trilogy, and he responded with, "I've been waiting my whole life for someone to ask me that." But then the mediocre performance of the first movie was enough to scare them off from keeping the same momentum going.

Basically, it's the same thing you're hearing from Scorsese, Kaufman, Sorkin, and other auteur filmmakers: "I wanted to do a thing; the studios said no; Netflix said yes." So my point is that part of the reason Fincher hasn't made a ton of movies is that he hasn't been able to get them off the ground at a studio level. That said, between 2014 and 2020, he had House of Cards, Love Death + Robots, Mindhunter, and was supposed to direct the World War Z sequel, so it's not like he hasn't had stuff in the works.

From what I've read, it was Fincher's decision (out of respect for the crew) to release the actors and Mindhunter crew from their contracts so they weren't just waiting around for him to finish working on Mank and could find other work in the interim. It sounds like he needed a break from it after stretching himself thin while season 2 production was underway. I read somewhere that Netflix is open to doing a third season and in one of the most recent Fincher interviews, he seems open to returning to it, as well (he mentioned finishing it in the '90s with them arresting BTK). So maybe (hopefully) there's still hope for Mindhunter season 3.
    Yeah, whether he was just being safe with his word choice or whether it was his decision, he used language that was more "the money/viewership isn't there" and less "I want to do it but Netflix won't pony up." Either way, it's still an issue of a studio not providing the funding Fincher needs, but hopefully his attitude towards it and the fact he just signed a four-year deal with them means he's found a studio he's happy with, at least for now.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    But then the mediocre performance of the first movie was enough to scare them off from keeping the same momentum going.
    It's pretty amazing that Villeneuve was allowed to do Dune after BR2049. Did it do better than TGWTDT or worse?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Last edited by Fadeout54321; 12-03-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    It's pretty amazing that Villeneuve was allowed to do Dune after BR2049. Did it do better than TGWTDT or worse?
    Worse!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Very cool. 52 tracks at 80-90 minutes. Awesome to see it's being released tomorrow!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Soundtrack releasing digitally tomorrow:
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/12...album-details/

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Unless someone captured the video, TR/AR conversation will be posted here tomorrow per the moderator: https://variety.com/t/music-for-screens

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Good discussion but not a lot of specific details on Mank, even less on Soul. I think the segment was around 50 minutes and the distribution was probably 40 min Mank / 10 min Soul.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    Unless someone captured the video, TR/AR conversation will be posted here tomorrow per the moderator: https://variety.com/t/music-for-screens
    Thank you, I had to miss it because of a clusterfuck at work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was sent a link to the latest issue of Variety after the interview. There is a nice review of Soul, which made more sense, to me anyway, of how a TR&AR score is totally right for it. There is also some Mank film stuff, not soundtrack though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Someone may have uploaded the album early. Says 1:33:01 of music, can't verify its authenticity at work.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p_rez17 View Post
    Someone may have uploaded the album early. Says 1:33:01 of music, can't verify its authenticity at work.
    According to Shazam, it's legit. A lot of it is unrecognizable as something TRAR would do except for that last track ("A Rare Bird (Reprise)"). There's also definitely some Badalamenti vibes on there. Interesting to see them not doing them, but again, more excited for Soul.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    A lot of it is unrecognizable as something TRAR would do except for that last track ("A Rare Bird (Reprise)").
    Wow you're right about that track. Crazy to think Trent wrote but didn't play that piece.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    According to Shazam, it's legit.
    Atticus mentioned on the Variety stream that Scenes From Election Night has Lust For Life-esque drums on it, which totally checks out.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Aaaaaand it's down. I still have the page up though, so it's still working fine for me...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So far - It’s really good
    very much unlike anything they’ve ever done - there are spots where I can’t hear them at all to a shocking extant, and spots where while the instrumentation is radically different, you can definitely recognize them (surprisingly strong GWTDT feel at parts)
    Doesn’t feel like a pastiche, it has a lot of character, even if it feels period authentic

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Here's the tracklist, according to the YT listing:

Welcome to Victorville
    Trapped!
    All This Time
    Enter Menace
    First Dictation
    A Fool's Paradise
    Once More Unto the Breach
    About Something
    Glendale Station
    What's at Stake!
    Every Thing You Do
    Cowboys and Indians
    Presumed Lost
    (If Only You Could) Save Me
    Means of Escape
    All This Time (A White Parasol)
    M.G.M
    A Respectable Bribe
    I, Governor of California
    A Leaden Silence
    San Simeon Waltz
    Time Running Out
    Mank-heim
    Lend Me a Buck!
    You Wanted to See Me!
    In Your Arms Again
    The Dark Night of the Soul
    Clouds Gather
    Way Back When
    An Idea Takes Hold
    Marion's Exit
    Absolution
    Scenes from Election Night
    Election Night-mare
    All This Time (Dance Interrupted)
    All This Time (Victorious)
    I'm Eve
    A Rare Bird
    Look at What We Did
    Menace Returns
    Forgive Me
    Final Regards
    Where Else Would I Be!
    The Organ Grinder
    All This Time (Not No More)
    Costume Party
    Dulcinea
    Shoot-out at the OK Corral
    The Organ Grinder's Monkey
    An Act of Purging Violence
    All This Time (Happily Ever After)
    A Rare Bird (Reprise)

"If Only You Could (Save Me)" has a female vocalist...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If Only You Could is very much a sequel to The Way It Used to Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    listening for the first time, super hyped!!! it sounds phenomenal

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Is this null 11? Need some help here @kraw

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Is this null 11? Need some help here @kraw
    Waves is Null 11. This is likely Null 12.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    Waves is Null 11. This is likely Null 12.
    I mixed up, probably because Watchmen Vol. 3 was released after Waves.
    So is Mank null 12 and Soul null 13?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Soul 12
    Mank 13

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kraw View Post
    Soul 12
    Mank 13
    Home: 1
    Visitors: 0

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Wait till 3am EST to buy as it's Bandcamp Friday!!

https://trentreznor-atticusross.band...re-with-extras

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m0reta View Post
    Wait till 3am EST to buy as it's Bandcamp Friday!!

https://trentreznor-atticusross.band...re-with-extras
    Expanded Edition with 87 tracks. Wow. That justfies the 25 $ for a digital album.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Great motherfucking god above. 80+ tracks of music for this..

As a lifelong fan of classic hollywood and film noir, experiencing my absolute favorite musician ever composing a score like this is nothing short of mind-blowing. That it’s this fucking good is just otherworldly. A year ago these dudes were releasing the Watchmen score, and now this..

I can only hope some of this one day sees a vinyl release. TR and AR only continue to amaze and exceed our expectations..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    News on vinyl on NIN.com