Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Mank (2020)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    My only minor grumble is that they've produced at least some of the pieces as if they were recorded in the 30s; I get it, of course, but I'd love to hear higher fidelity versions. It's a real tease because - listening now on a big system - the pieces that they haven't done this with sound fantastic.
    They talked about this yesterday. I'd try to summarize it but I'd probably botch what they said. Check out the Variety keynote whenever it is posted.

Edit: I just realized I replied to the wrong post...I've updated the quote above.
    Last edited by cdm; 12-04-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    In the past I've noticed some interesting (to me) parallels between TR's work and Erik Satie's; currently getting major Satie vibes from San Simeon Waltz.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    San Simeon Waltz is a really beautiful track, nice length too. Fuckin great stuff.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The credits on the bandcamp page are concerning. This looks and feels less like Trent and more like Atticus plus a ton of other people. Trent is only listed as a player near the bottom of a long list of others. I feel like TR+AR is now an Oscar-worthy brand, and not necessarily the artists who encompass the material. Feel free to jump down my throat.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    near the bottom
    You mean with the other players whose names start with a T?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    The credits on the bandcamp page are concerning. This looks and feels less like Trent and more like Atticus plus a ton of other people. Trent is only listed as a player near the bottom of a long list of others. I feel like TR+AR is now an Oscar-worthy brand, and not necessarily the artists who encompass the material. Feel free to jump down my throat.
    The other people are playing music that TR&AR composed. I don't think their inability to be a two-man bigband and full orchestra should be much cause for concern.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    The other people are playing music that TR&AR composed. I don't think their inability to be a two-man bigband and full orchestra should be much cause for concern.
    Yeah, I think it's weird people are worrying about what Trent & Atticus did or didn't play. If they're doing a droney/piano/electronic score, sure, it's expected that they would be the ones doing most of the actual performance. But for an orchestral score, especially one where it's a specific period/genre of music they're not experienced in, of course there are going to be a ton of people involved in the arranging, performing, mixing, production, etc. That's how traditional movie scores work.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    ^Indeed. Likewise, I don't worry that Debussy isn't playing anything on any of my favourite recordings of his symphonic works.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    But holy shit, listen to the demo of A Fool's Paradise if you have any doubt that the boys did a TON of writing/arrangement/production work before it went out to the rest of the team.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Oscars should just hand over the trophy right now, zero fanfare. It's not even a competition. This is the best soundtrack this year by a landslide.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Obscene amount of content this last year. Almost too much to give my full attention to, but what a wonderful situation as a fan to find yourself in though.

Also..

A Rare Bird --- Cant decide on either Zero Sum or FFVII
    Last edited by Reaps; 12-04-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've heard that John Williams doesn't play on his movie scores (with the rare piano exception). Should that be concerning? Star Wars looks and feels less like John Williams and more like a ton of other people....

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    AND THE PREDICTED NOMINEES ARE:
    "Mank" (Netflix) Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
    "The Midnight Sky" (Netflix) Alexandre Desplat
    "Soul" (Pixar) Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
    "Minari" (A24) Emile Mosseri
    "One Night in Miami" (Amazon Studios) Terence Blanchard

Oh, man, how cool would it be if they were nominated twice in the same year?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Beyond being beautifully written and arranged, the audio engineering and production work on this score is absolutely top-notch. They nailed that vintage analogue vibe. Big kudos to the whole team! If only the orchestral score purists who were pooh-pooh'ing The Social Network soundtrack eleven years ago could hear this...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post

Oh, man, how cool would it be if they were nominated twice in the same year?
    That would be pretty cool, but I could also see it being a potential disadvantage (example: people feel TR/AR definitely deserve the Oscar, but split between the two films). It's also quite possible that I'm talking out of my ass.

Either way, this album is fucking phenomenal. By far my favorite score of 2020. We'll see if that changes in 14 days...

Looking forward to hearing the music in context tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    man the bandcamp exclusive stuff is like a dreamier version of the album, my new go to sleep album looks like! (after ghosts v)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    oh and the movie is fantastic

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I have always enjoyed the scores, but I’ve never had any sort of emotional attachment to them before.

But I can already tell my feelings on this one will be different after just a day of listening to the score on a loop. It’s so beautiful! I’m excited that Trent and Atticus got a chance to be pushed creatively like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Stay clear of NINs fb post about Mank....Mostly comments about what a piece of shit Mank is. NIN fb is the sewer of the interwebs
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 12-04-2020 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I enjoy this score more than I thought that I would.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Just finished watching the movie. Loved it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    do they hate it because of the anti republican themes lol

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I hope this is available past just today, I was busy with non-major-label acts today.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    movie of the year. man, there are so many LAYERS in that film, I'm still processing it the next morning. anyone notice the film spots here and there throughout the film? (a hint at Fight Club? ) . or how the vocals sounded recorded in a studio with some slight reverb at times? and some white noise at times? very interesting aesthetic.

the score was phenomenal. I can't see how they don't win awards for this.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    movie of the year. man, there are so many LAYERS in that film, I'm still processing it the next morning. anyone notice the film spots here and there throughout the film? (a hint at Fight Club? ) . or how the vocals sounded recorded in a studio with some slight reverb at times? and some white noise at times? very interesting aesthetic.

the score was phenomenal. I can't see how they don't win awards for this.
    I think I’m going to need a breakdown of who’s who in that era as I’ve no idea what is going on half the time! I love the nods to fake news and the head of MGM asking staff to take a pay cut is very pandemic reminiscent

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I haven't watched the film yet, but man, this score is something else. Very playful and evocative. Not the type of music I'd typically listen to, but it's great nonetheless. I love hearing how Trent and and Atticus have adapted themselves to a film that covers unconventional territory for them.
    Last edited by Jazzkokehead; 12-05-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    A gorgeous film score. I watched the film earlier this afternoon and it certainly elevated the music after the fact. Mostly because I can now associate my viewing experience with it. It's a different kind of film than I'm used (a mostly dialogue driven film about the making of a film). I guess The Social Network was like that though.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Really pissed off with Netflix, wanted to watch the credits all the way through to hear the original song they wrote and every time they just cut off 30 seconds in to advertise The Crown which I don’t even want to watch, I can’t get it to continue. I looked at other films and this seems to always happen. Talk about no respect for the people who make the stuff
    Last edited by WorzelG; 12-06-2020 at 02:06 AM.