Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Mank (2020)

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I want to reiterate AGAIN that I am not asking for anyone to be "shoe-horned" into the movie. Please go back and read my posts again instead of replying to a straw man.
    And if you read my post, you'd see that I wasn't responding to your post.

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    thanks for ignoring my follow-up post and making me feel like an asshole!
    Well, in your follow-up post said you were "more talking in general than about this film in specific", but your original paragraph I replied to literally addressed a "period piece" about the "making of citizen kane", so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    And if you read my post, you'd see that I wasn't responding to your post.

Well, in your follow-up post said you were "more talking in general than about this film in specific", but your original paragraph I replied to literally addressed a "period piece" about the "making of citizen kane", so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    fair enough. sorry for being combative. sometimes i have hot takes and they're wrong, and i'm totally willing to admit that.

anyway, i'm really looking forward to watching this and hearing the score.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    When is this getting released? The music (and the film itself) is absolutely amazing, especially if you love the films of old Hollywood. It says at the end of the film’s credits that it’s available from The Null Corporation, but..?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    My guess is early December to tie in with the film's streaming release.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    That’s what I’m thinking, too. The music is fantastic and they captured the time period perfectly. It sounds jazzy and exuberant but also dark and ominous at times. The final composition that plays during the second half of the end credits is a piano piece and it’s the only thing that reminded me of anything they’d ever done previously..

There were only three of us in the entire theater. If you’re willing to brave society — and a public place — and this is playing anywhere near you on the big screen, go see it..

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    No thanks.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Your loss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I would go in a heartbeat (and in a mask), but movies from streaming services almost never reach our theaters.
    The only TRAR films we got here were TSN, Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl and Mid 90s.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Why would you risk that right now when you can just watch it on Netflix next Friday? I mean I'd like to see it on the big screen and everything, but it's also just a movie and not worth rolling the dice over.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Why would you risk that right now when you can just watch it on Netflix next Friday? I mean I'd like to see it on the big screen and everything, but it's also just a movie and not worth rolling the dice over.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    “A terrible thing, to live in fear..”

Morgan Freeman, The Shawshank Redemption

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    it's also pretty terrible to die with a respirator in your lungs but what do I know.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Making tiny "first world problem" sacrifices like waiting an extra week and a half to watch a movie in order to avoid potential exposure to a virus that's killed 1.4 million people and left countless others with permanent or lasting damage — not to mention costly hospital bills — is not equivalent to "living in fear." It's being careful, being considerate of others, and simply not being a dumbass.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I never knew going to see a movie in a virtually empty theater that was sanitized beyond belief both before and after the showing would trigger so many people based on my mere recommendation to go and see it, but hey..my life, my choice, I guess..

It really is a great film and I’m glad I got to see it on the big screen. We stopped for gelato on the way out, too. If these things make me a dumbass or a piece of shit to some, then so be it..

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    you just picked the wrong word...or quote, I guess...for your argument. fear is not what is guiding a lot of people's decisions to not do these things. like @ says, it's just easier to watch it on my own time in my own home than it is to go out. there are so many people in the world that I could come in contact with on the way to a theater vs. sitting in my living room.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    If these things make me a dumbass or a piece of shit to some, then so be it..
    It's not those things specifically.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I'd be willing to see this in a theatre next year, at an encore screening or something like that, after I've been vaccinated and community spread has dropped back to zero. Not before. Just my stance on this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This sounds amazing and I want it all in my earholes.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    saw Tenet on election night in (L)Imax in a pretty empty theater. If a big enough theater was showing this and only had a few people in it (which a movie like Mank is this current environment def. would have), it's completely safe if you're away from people and everyone is wearing their mask most of the movie.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    That sounds lovely. Unfortunately, I can't teleport into a nearly empty theatre for two hours while my kid is napping.
    Last edited by botley; 11-26-2020 at 07:27 AM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    A friend of mine watched it yesterday. She told me TR/AR's music doesn't sound like their usual stuff, until maybe the final scenes. That makes me happy. Our boys have grown so much :')

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    saw Tenet on election night in (L)Imax in a pretty empty theater. If a big enough theater was showing this and only had a few people in it (which a movie like Mank is this current environment def. would have), it's completely safe if you're away from people and everyone is wearing their mask most of the movie.
    The air flow in a typical theater means it doesn't at all matter if it's mostly empty or not. If someone in that theater has it, you're most likely going to get it sitting in there for that kind of duration with them....

I've had two scares at work where my company contact traced to be and i had to go get tested because i came into contact with someone that tested positive. One time was in a decently large conference room (used to seat 50) that only had 8 people in it and we were spread out about as far as possible.

One of my co-workers had extremely bad symptoms and currently can't taste or smell. The other lucked out with minor symptoms.

No one likes being cooped up, but seriously... is your life only worth the price of a movie ticket? Show some self control and wait until the vaccine is widely distributed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    The air flow in a typical theater means it doesn't at all matter if it's mostly empty or not. If someone in that theater has it, you're most likely going to get it sitting in there for that kind of duration with them....

I've had two scares at work where my company contact traced to be and i had to go get tested because i came into contact with someone that tested positive. One time was in a decently large conference room (used to seat 50) that only had 8 people in it and we were spread out about as far as possible.

One of my co-workers had extremely bad symptoms and currently can't taste or smell. The other lucked out with minor symptoms.

No one likes being cooped up, but seriously... is your life only worth the price of a movie ticket? Show some self control and wait until the vaccine is widely distributed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Yes, yes, and more yes.

I work on COVID projects for a major academic medical center and I can absolutely vouch for this post. You don't want to be one of the last soldiers on the field getting killed when they are signing the peace treaty. Like we are months away from three different great vaccines rolling out to the public. We've made it this far. Don't go to the movies, or out to eat, or any of that crazy shit. We are right in the thick of the winter surge. Hospitals are overflowing.

Not only should you not do anything to risk COVID, hospitals are being hit so hard you don't want to risk ANYTHING. Drive carefully. Chew your food. Don't drink too much. You do NOT want to end up in the ER right now. You might not make it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Prompted by the release next week I watched Citizen Kane yesterday, and after that I read the Wikipedia article on the movie, lots of great insight, and gave me some idea on what the conflict in Mank will be like. Also, I was wondering last night what was the last movie Fincher did and it was Gone Girl, 6 years ago. Interesting why there's such a gap between projects for Fincher, but I always prefer quality over quantity.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Well, he did work on Love, Death & Robots but that was probably a lot less him than Tim in the end. Though he did bring the second season up in that interview posted so maybe he was more invested in it than I think he was?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post

Well I also had Covid already and am still testing positive for the antibodies as of the end of October, so I have a layer of protection, in theory, that others do not. I know some people have gotten infected again, but those appear to outliers. Most experts seem to agree antibodies protect you for a long time, although not fully proven of course.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    On Thursday there will be a Variety virtual discussion about Soul and Mank that can be signed up for for free

https://ev10.perigonlive.com/1-evt48...b097dbc2dc7218

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    On Thursday there will be a Variety virtual discussion about Soul and Mank that can be signed up for for free

Thanks for sharing this!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post

I like how all of the speakers have their full names under their respective thumbnail photos...and then "Trent & Atticus".

Also, Mike Steinberg looks like a John Travolta pic put through FaceApp.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Prompted by the release next week I watched Citizen Kane yesterday, and after that I read the Wikipedia article on the movie, lots of great insight, and gave me some idea on what the conflict in Mank will be like. Also, I was wondering last night what was the last movie Fincher did and it was Gone Girl, 6 years ago. Interesting why there's such a gap between projects for Fincher, but I always prefer quality over quantity.
    Yeah, I watched Citizen Kane for the first time in 15+ years this week, which definitely feels like required viewing for the best Mank experience.

Fincher's been open about his frustration with studios and being forced to try to play for bigger markets. TGWTDT was supposed to be a trilogy, but the first didn't do well, so the studio killed it. Similar situation with Mindhunter. That said, I'm hoping the deal he recently signed with Netflix means he's not too upset about the Mindhunter situation. He's basically said that we wants an adult playground to be able to play in, and studios like Netflix can offer that in a way the traditional movie studios can't. So here's hoping we're on the cusp of a lot of new Fincher projects hitting our at-home screens.