Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails have ruined concerts for me

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Nine Inch Nails have ruined concerts for me

I haven't seen NIN perform live for a few years now, and since my last NIN concert I have seen several big and small name bands live. With almost every concert I go to I find myself bored, and I start day dreaming about how much I wish I were at a NIN concert.

When at a non NIN concert I look at all the sound equipment, instruments, and lighting; I think to myself "okay wow thats some serious gear, I can't wait to experience it". And when I am listening to the live music I almost always find the music sounds good, but the songs just blend together and are kinda boring. It makes me appreciate just how unique and talented NIN concerts are, as well as how unique each NIN song is, each song is a totally different experience and sound.

For example, my last concerts include Steven Little and the Disciples of Soul, Godsmack, Volbeat.... and even when I think back to my last Pearl Jam concert I would think about how cool it would be if this were NIN; and I LOVE PJ.

I do give credit to the Godsmack concert as they put on a decent show, but a few bursts of pyro is about all that impresses me with their concert.

Am I the only one that feels this way? I'll call out that I haven't seen bands like Pink Floyd, The Stones, Rammestein etc... Its kind of like the old saying "once you go black you don't go back".

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Am I the only one that feels this way?
    I know what you mean, but I haven't really had this experience. First of all, having seen NIN 23 times, I've found myself getting bored while at a NIN show, either from being disappointed they didn't really change up their setlist or visuals from the last time around (i.e. certain 2017 shows) or from being at a venue that didn't really fit the band (i.e. the Hollywood Bowl).

But I think it all has to do with expectation. If I go see an acoustic singer/songwriter, I'm obviously not expecting lights or explosions or songs that sound vastly different from one another. If I go see the Foo Fighters or Queens of the Stone Age, I expect to see a rock show, but I'm not expecting the visuals I would get from Muse or Rammstein.

I've gone with my girlfriend to a few shows where I don't know the bands, and yeah, it's more boring than seeing bands you love, but because I don't go with any expectations beyond seeing a simple show, I can just dance and have a good time and focus on what the musicians are doing or how they look or listen to the lyrics or whatever.

Another thing that helps is putting yourself somewhere where you can just chill. If you go way up close and sit through two openers, your body and mind might start to get tired before the headliner even comes on, but if you hang in the back and grab a couple drinks, you can feel more relaxed and not need the band to be absolutely mind-blowing to ensure you have a good night.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Alot of bands don't put the same sort of effort Trent and Co put in, so yeah I see where your coming from.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Honestly NIN 2018 tour ruined me for live shows.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    My first big concert was Lights In The Sky back in ‘08. That show, its extended length, with the amazing band, top notch production, along with great variety in the set list from heavy stuff to ghost tracks to rarities like down in it (and even a la mer tease before playing the frail) just set the bar so high for me that I’ve definitely been underwhelmed at other artist shows.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    This is where listening to genres like metal and hardcore is great. The bands tend to have a lot of energy on stage. NIN has definitely not ruined live shows for me.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I've not been to a ton of concerts (thank you poverty!), but I wouldn't say my one Nine Inch Nails experience ruined those other concerts, mainly because I've been lucky enough to experience a variety of shows. Some bands just wouldn't work with the amount of production that the band has used over the years. Also, performance is everything. You can have a shitload of production and still suck as a performer. If you're good, it's not going to matter what some other band did.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I hit about 100-150 concerts a year, so my take may be coming from a different place than most. But...nah, they haven't ruined it for me.

I've seen other bands pull on special guests that made my jaw drop. I've seen other bands dust off songs that haven't been played in decades. I've seen other bands play for nearly ten hours across three days and never repeat a song. I've seen other bands switch from a duet ballad with an acoustic guitar to a 12 piece band with 40 dancers. I've seen other bands literally write songs on the spot. As the old saying goes..."I've seen some shit".

Trent - and every iteration of NIN I've ever seen live - have almost always left me with goosebumps (almost...I'm looking at you, Vegas night one). NIN will always been one of my absolute all-time favorite live acts for a number of reasons. But if you're out there checking out other bands - I mean good, established bands who have a proven track record of great shows - you've still got a good shot at seeing something truly and utterly special.

And then again, sometimes just a "regular" show can mean the world to me if it's a band I never thought I'd see live (example: Failure at a club a few years back).

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Am I the only one that feels this way? I'll call out that I haven't seen bands like Pink Floyd, The Stones, Rammestein etc... Its kind of like the old saying "once you go black you don't go back".
    I do 100% get what you are saying. There is definitely something special about a live NIN show. There is just some magic in the air. With that said, NIN is my all time fav band musically, but when people ask me what the best concert I have ever been too was, my answer is usually not Nine Inch Nails... It's Rammstein. Rammstein are hands down the leader when it comes to presentation and live show. And that's an impressive feat considering their songs are sung in a language that I do not understand. But their shows, they are just insane. I've seen them... 7 times now I think with each show getting more and more theatrical and over the top than the last. I heard their current European stadium run is even bigger and more eventful than ever. When they come to North America, we tend to get a toned down live experience from them, but even "Rammstein lite" is worth attending.

I'd say if they tour near you in the future, check 'em out. Even if you aren't their biggest fan. It's a great show for the production value alone.

EDIT: After I made this reply, a little bit of a coincidence that this article popped up in my news feed, but here is an article describing the Rammstein live experience and how it has evolved over the years: https://www.loudersound.com/features...DQyaLK8KwlF39U
    Last edited by ManBurning; 07-06-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Accidentally double post.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Another thing that helps is putting yourself somewhere where you can just chill. If you go way up close and sit through two openers, your body and mind might start to get tired before the headliner even comes on, but if you hang in the back and grab a couple drinks, you can feel more relaxed and not need the band to be absolutely mind-blowing to ensure you have a good night.
    I can get what you're saying. Fatigue can get real. However, for me, it's the opposite. If I'm not in the front somewhere, I can't get into the music at all. I don't feel like I'm really there unless I'm in the pit.
    Also, people tend to chat at the back, something I personally despise at a concert.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Volbeat....
    Shit, man. I'm Danish and I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Shit, man. I'm Danish and I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

Right? I don't get it... I'm surprised I saw so many people loving it and wearing Volbeat shirts, my local radio station always plays Volbeat.

I can't stand it... I don't hear what they are hearing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Nine Inch Nails have ruined concerts for me

Right? I don't get it... I'm surprised I saw so many people loving it and wearing Volbeat shirts, my local radio station always plays Volbeat.

I can't stand it... I don't hear what they are hearing.
    Me neither. I think they’re a joke — especially after they’ve started revoking press credit from reviewers who’ve been critical of them before.

Not sure that story has made it across the pond. It’s not a problem among their fan base, but to everyone with a modicum of respect for the free press, it’s a sign of a troubling trend.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I've never cared for them either, but my only exposure is what I've heard on the radio. I'll have to sit thru them opening for Slipknot on August though so I'll know for sure where I stand after that.

Back on topic, the only show I went to was night 2 of the Aragon so to hear Happiness in Slavery, the one song I wanted to hear more than anything, and to have it followed up by the first performance of AATCHB. It's like, where do you go from there? My favorite band playing my favorite songs.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'll add in that I was shocked last summer, my wife and I saw Shinedown and a few other bands at an amphitheater... I wasn't too familiar with Shinedown but wow... they won me over and that has never happened before with another band. I became a Shinedown fan on that day.

So I'm not some prissy NIN fan... I do still appreciate live shows but they are boring compared to NIN.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I say this, for me at least, 2019 is shaping up to be the best year for concerts ever. I May I saw Tool twice, along with Ghost and System of a Down for the first time. I saw Mastdon play one of my favourit albums in full last month. July I'll be seeing 3TEETH, Static X, Devildriver again, Dope which is one of my favorite nu metal bands for the sixth time. Slipknot in August for the first time in 15 years In Sioux Falls my home town I'll be seeing Marilyn Manson, Ghost and now goddamn MINISTRY, all in the coming months.

So it has been uphill since last October at least.

Still RiP keef!
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 07-09-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Had prodigy played Chicago open air, it would have been the best festival I have ever been to!!!

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    NIN puts in a lot of effort to have their performances perfect in every aspect and I can sure appreciate that. Not to mention, they will play almost 2 hours almost every time you see them with different variations in sets. Other big bands play the same set every single night. It's why I really appreciate NIN's live show and why I listen to their recordings more than the studio albums themselves.

Every other band will always be compared to a NIN show and none really never get close to it.

There is really only two bands I will travel to see multiple shows it's NIN and Depeche Mode.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    For me, it all depends on the band's energy. I've seen Gary Numan and Peter Murphy in tiny venues and had just as much fun as seeing NIN, Rammstein, or original lineup KISS in arenas. Seeing Gary Numan sing "Are 'Friends' Electric" with just a piano accompanying him is just as powerful as any huge production I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    ...Other big bands play the same set every single night.
    I saw Godsmack in 2018 June, I saw them again spring 2019 and it was THE EXACT SAME SHOW. Sully did the exact same 8 minute drum solo on a stage that moves around. Everything in 2019 was the same as 2018; other than in 2019 in the arena he asked for all the women to flash their titties... ok.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I saw Godsmack
    what

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Yeah, I don't know what kinda bands tour in the Restricted place where snaapz lives, but it seems to me that his choice of bands might have something to do with his problem

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I saw Godsmack in 2018 June, I saw them again spring 2019 and it was THE EXACT SAME SHOW. Sully did the exact same 8 minute drum solo on a stage that moves around. Everything in 2019 was the same as 2018; other than in 2019 in the arena he asked for all the women to flash their titties... ok.
    TBH, that sounds like 2001 Godsmack as well.

Rammstein, Massive Attack, Broken Bells, Minus The Bear have proven to be on par with my NIN experiences.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    You couldn't pay me to see Godsmack... or, well, you could, but it would cost you.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I can get what you're saying. Fatigue can get real. However, for me, it's the opposite. If I'm not in the front somewhere, I can't get into the music at all. I don't feel like I'm really there unless I'm in the pit.
    Also, people tend to chat at the back, something I personally despise at a concert.
    Yeah, this is what I realized for myself during the 2018 NIN tour. I just won't be buying anything but floor/pit tickets from now on. The experience is night and day for me having done NIN shows where I was seated in the back vs. standing in the front few rows. I never cared as much back when I was a kid, but now that I'm older the difference is pretty remarkable. Learned my lesson for the (hopefully) next run!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    you need to get to more shows. NIN are certainly amazing live, but there are other bands that are a completely different flavor of awesome.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @DVYDRNS - I'll admit that I'm not really much of a concert-goer, but I'd have to completely agree, especially just based on listening to/watching recorded live performances.

However, I still see how having an ultimate favorite of anything can do this to some people, myself included.

@ninlive - I'd have to mention you at this point, as way to show appreciation and thanks and give credit where credit is due as you're definitely one of the fans that has gone above and beyond as far as archiving Nine Inch Nails concerts go. It's always impressed me just how many concerts/tours were documented as it adds a lot of dimension and substance to the overall history and stories surrounding the band. It's not so often a band gets archived this much. (And not to say NIN is the only one either, but from the looks of it, even some bands bigger than NIN didn't get archived to this extent.)

Aside from that, all I can say is that while I can certainly understand the overall point of this thread, Nine Inch Nails thankfully hasn't ruined all live performances for me, even as somebody that doesn't attend concerts on a regular basis. If anything, I was actually encouraged to check out how other bands sound live.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 07-29-2019 at 11:15 PM.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Some very kind words, @Halo Infinity . I do enjoy working on the archive and it takes a special breed to be as obsessive and detailed oriented as myself. Not to toot my own horn. Just simply saying that yes, I know, it's crazy/over the top. Definitely love doing it too and love seeing that people download so much from it. I wish more bands did this and I think I can say with confidence that this is probably the most extensive (or close to) archive for any band out there. Was going to do one for Depeche Mode, but after doing one. I think that's enough. There is a great one out there now that has a lot more features than ninlive. Hope to get there one day. One more year of school.

I do love going to concerts and I typically like concert recordings over studio albums. But there is nothing like a NIN show. I hope this go on tour next year. Even if it's just a few dates.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Whats the DM one? @ninlive

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    Whats the DM one? @ninlive
    There isn't one. He's saying that after doing one archive (NIN), it was enough work that doing a second one (DM) wasn't practical.