Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Billie Eilish

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

Billie Eilish

So, I discovered Billie Eilish over the past few days, and I REALLY like a lot of it.

The breathy, whispery vocals, lovely over dubbed harmonies, and melancholy lyrics, really do the trick for me, as do the simple, but, insanely catchy melodies.

The production, a lot of which is done by her brother (if I'm understanding correctly,) is often minimalistic in JUST the right way, and kind of like a breath of fresh air.

And I love the horror tropes and, purposely provocative "illuminati/" occult imagery, found in the videos and some of the lyrics.

It's weird: I don't usually get into these pop princesses much-tbh, I don't get into much of ANY new music these days- but tHIS stuff just works on me. It just really grabs me and gets stuck in my head. I don't like her saying things like "duh," but I think she was fucking 16 when she recorded this new album, so I can give a pass to the occasional goofy word.

This track, for instance, just fucking KILLS me.

It REALLY sticks with me. I look forward to hearing the whole album.

Are any of you guys feeling it, too?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I got turned on to her by a friend and I’ve been hooked for awhile. I love the juxtaposition between layered and complicated and minimalist. It’s great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I like that she's a performer. She has ideas and her and brother seem to have fun executing it. Personally, I wish her vocal styling was, I guess... more confident (or present), but I get it.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    ya, she's 1 to watch (& listen to). although quite different cup of tea, i'd liken her to Lorde. there's hope out there...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Meh. I think she's pretentious and her music does nothing for me. But I'm 39 and this isn't music meant for me.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    you should see me in the crown in the only song I (guiltily) like. Outside of that she's mostly crap.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 06-10-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    @elevenism - You and I are in a similar boat. I too discovered her a few months ago, probably a month before her record dropped. I kept seeing the name "Billie Eilish" over and over and over everywhere in my news feed, on news sites, social media, on my YouTube. I was like "What the hell is a Billie Eilish" I just kinda laughed at it, I thought it was something else at first so I never paid any attention to it.

I think the breaking point got the best of my curiosity when a Vancouver show was announced and in 20 mins flat it was sold out. and tickets were selling for $400+ So I said "OK, enough is enough. What is so popular about this Billie Eilish. I need to know"

and the very first song I watched was "When the Party's over" and man, I was HOOKED. I couldn't look away. I was mesmerized. Her singing just grabs a hold of you, gives you goosebumps. I moved onto "Bury a friend" next, and once again, I was completely captivated with what I was seeing and hearing. She had my full undivided attention.

Her debut LP "Where do we go, when we all fall asleep" is fantastic. I don't often listen to and find new music that speaks to me, but this record is one of the best I've heard in a while. I'm in my mid 30s and I don't think I am the demographic she is trying to reach, but I don't care, her singing is amazing and the beats are awesome.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I can't get into her either...I don't know what it is.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I got her record recently and bopped it with a few songs before getting lost in some other new releases, but I plan on coming back and giving it a full listen. I really liked what I heard and I dig her whole vibe.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    When her song was used for a NXT Takeover, I ad-libbed lyrics to make it about poop (“You should see me when I brown”) because 1) the song isn’t good and 2) I’m not above juvenile humor. I will laugh at high and low brow stuff.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I enjoy her a lot, but more than anything I'm excited to hear what she sounds like in 2-5 years. Her lyrics just need some time, because it can be cheesy and try-hard. But she's still a teenager and frankly, that's what I would expect. The combination of her and her brother is a good one, her voice is legit and I like the imagery too.

I'm a fan, but mostly I'm just waiting around for her writing to mature just a little. I think there's something special there.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The debut made me fall for her talent, with whatever songs were out before that were hit and miss for me. Her voice and lyrics can be haunting at times and I want more of that.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    if you like some of her stuff you've heard like I've heard, do NOT watch her Hot Ones interview. That turned me off to her before I even got to hear her music. So now I'm torn haha.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I discovered her during the Couchella live stream. I was enamored with the way she worked the crowd.
    Been down the rabbit hole of content ever since.
    I'm a big covers fan and I've been blown away at how many covers exist for every song on the album.
    https://open.spotify.com/user/129194...QbCjcQaytgNkzg

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post

Her debut LP "Where do we go, when we all fall asleep" is fantastic. I don't often listen to and find new music that speaks to me, but this record is one of the best I've heard in a while. I'm in my mid 30s and I don't think I am the demographic she is trying to reach, but I don't care, her singing is amazing and the beats are awesome.
    So, I finally listened to the whole album, and, I agree: it's fucking stunning.
    I honestly think that if this album were just a LITTLE different, and, that if she and her brother were marketed as a band, and none of this "industry plant" hype had occurred, they could have been critical indie darlings.

But yeah, I'm with you, @ManBurning . The singing is amazing and the beats are awesome. I also like the themes explored, which, I think, to a certain degree, are ABOUT an artist who has achieved instant fame through nefarious means.

I'm 39, and it's VERY rare that I find new music that "speaks to me," too. There is definitely something really special here, and I REALLY don't care, at this point, how she got famous. I just don't . I'm too old for that shit. I feel like she's kind of pushing the narrative that she sold her soul to the devil, and, in fact, I REALLY like that.

Like @eachpassingphase , im also quite interested to see where she goes as she matures.

ultimately, she is one of 6 artists I've really gotten into in the past six or seven YEARS, so, yeah, I'll take it.

Edit: I'm a HUGE fan of The Office these days, so I'm grateful for Rainn Wilson for introducing me to her.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-17-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    If I had a hope of talking Trent into working with one new artist, producing or remixing one track even, it would be her. I think he could balance some of her weaknesses and really help her shine on a track.

I know she works closely with her brother and it's a formula that seems to work well, but if she ever branched out to work with anybody else, I would love to see her work with Trent. I'm kind of sad that he hasn't taken any new artists under his wing lately, because he's really gifted in that area and I'd love to see him do that again someday.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    If I had a hope of talking Trent into working with one new artist, producing or remixing one track even, it would be her. I think he could balance some of her weaknesses and really help her shine on a track.

I know she works closely with her brother and it's a formula that seems to work well, but if she ever branched out to work with anybody else, I would love to see her work with Trent. I'm kind of sad that he hasn't taken any new artists under his wing lately, because he's really gifted in that area and I'd love to see him do that again someday.
    I look forward to seeing her work with Tyler, the Creator, which is something I expect to happen. They are two artists currently topping the charts, with sort of off kilter sounds.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    im sick of the "im a stupid satanic / illuminati moron" kitsch that is flooding the airwaves lately.

stupidity and low IQ is not something to be celebrated or promoted. I feel dumber just watching her videos.

shame because the music isn't terrible.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    im sick of the "im a stupid satanic / illuminati moron" kitsch that is flooding the airwaves lately.

stupidity and low IQ is not something to be celebrated or promoted. I feel dumber just watching her videos.

shame because the music isn't terrible.
    Seriously? It's flooding the airwaves? I actually kind of like that sort of thing. Who else is doing it?

I'm pretty sure I'm not stupid, btw, although I guess that's debatable, because I do a lot of stupid shit
    I'm certainly not "low iq," though.

I actually like the imagery, almost as a horror trope sort of thing.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I wonder when we get a new album.

My wife and I still listen to this one in the car, a LOT, and it just gets better and better. We live in a very remote place in texas, and, as such, all of our Drs appointments and the like are 1.5 hours away, so, we listen to a lot of music in the car. It's been pretty much Billie all summer, with a bit of Igor by TTC- at least, up until the new Tool album came out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    First exposure was her Coachella set and was immediately impressed with her control over the crowd. The album dropped that weekend and I've had my finger on the pulse since. This podcast in particular gave me hope for what's to come.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I listened to the album so much, I kind of played it out. So I added most of it to my favorites list that I play on shuffle, so it's a nice surprise.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This was pretty cool:

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Amusing.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    She announced an arena tour for next spring.
    Can't believe how fast she blew up. When she came here last June, she played a venue that was 5,000 capacity.
    There's a Vancouver date on the new arena tour, my girlfriend and I might check it out. Depending on prices of tickets.
    We don't care to be super close or anything, so cheap seats will suffice. On sale next Friday.

03/09 – AmericanAirlines Arena – Miami, FL
    03/10 – Amway Center – Orlando, FL
    03/12 – PNC Arena – Raleigh, NC
    03/13 – Wells Fargo Center – Philadelphia, PA
    03/15 – Madison Square Garden – New York, NY
    03/16 – Prudential Center – Newark, NJ
    03/18 – Capital One Center – Washington, DC
    03/19 – TD Garden – Boston, MA
    03/20 – Barclays Center – Brooklyn, NY
    03/23 – Little Caesars Arena – Detroit, MI
    03/24 – United Center – Chicago, IL
    03/25 – Bankers Life Fieldhouse – Indianapolis, IN
    03/27 – Bridgestone Arena – Nashville, TN
    03/28 – Enterprise Center – St. Louis, MO
    03/29 – CHI Health Center Omaha – Omaha, NE
    04/01 – Pepsi Center – Denver, CO
    04/04 – The Forum – Los Angeles, CA
    04/05 – The Forum – Los Angeles, CA
    04/07 – Chase Center – San Francisco, CA
    04/08 – Golden 1 Center – Sacramento, CA
    04/10 – Tacoma Dome – Seattle, WA
    04/11 – Pepsi Live at Rogers Arena – Vancouver, BC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The beats are very infectious, although I wish her vocals were a little louder on her album. That’s referring to the mix on the album and not the way she delivers the vocals. She performed at Summerfest in Milwaukee this summer and the organizer said that was the quickest selling show in the history of the festival. Her performance was great and it was impressive how she commanded the audience given her age and inexperience relative to many other artists. I liked her concert more than expected and will be seeing her again next year.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The new song is fucking great.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    New?!? Had no idea.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    I wasn't sure about it at first. Took a few listens. I prefer the upbeat Billie with some mad beats, lol.
    It's a slow burn, but it's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    New?!? Had no idea.

Oh, and to touch base on my post above about her 2020 tour dates... The show in town here sold out in 2 mins... The whole venue sold out. The whole bloody arena. Every seat. Cheap garbage nosebleeds and all. I was blown away. No cheap nosebleed Billie for the girlfriend and I, haha.

Nosebleeds going for like $350 a pop now. Better seats are closer to $700. Hah!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)