Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elden Ring

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm a full time employee and full time student, really trying to be patient and wait until I'm done with school in May to get this...

The stellar reviews are making it difficult, lol.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I started this last night, and I'm definitely getting some major stuttering with certain parts (PC). It's DX12 shader caching.

Game is definitely a natural evolution of Souls games...with actual jumping!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post

Game is definitely a natural evolution of Souls games...with actual jumping!
    Love the fact that you can actually jump in this one.... though the new tweaks to the combat have also made me a little frustrated. I can't rely on my ability to play the previous games though, because that's lame. So far I'm only at the "first major boss," but I'm loving it

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I stayed up way too late last night playing it, but so far it's great. I love the addition of stealth things like being able to crouch and hide in grass to sneak up on enemies. Going to be playing tonight with like 5 or 6 friends, can't wait!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Killed Margit. Fuck him.

Already clocked 5 hrs and 40 minutes.

Shame the Xbox versions of the game are broken trash for online network services.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Elden Ring is amazing and beautiful. It has completely lived up to the insane amount of hype that it had built up around it. I can't stop playing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Level 57 and somehow still feel under leveled for practically all bosses lol. Margit was an easy kill but some of the later bosses whoopin my ass.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I am excited to get my Steam Deck and then playing this game on it. I think I’m in group ZZ though so it’ll be a few months.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Level 57 and somehow still feel under leveled for practically all bosses lol. Margit was an easy kill but some of the later bosses whoopin my ass.
    Same, I just need better equipment apparently. I think I'm around 42. This game is absolutely massive, I have no idea when I'm going to finish this.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Same, I just need better equipment apparently. I think I'm around 42. This game is absolutely massive, I have no idea when I'm going to finish this.
    Oh, I've come to terms with the fact that I never will. The new Borderlands drops on Mar 25 and I'll be playing that like a maniac along with Cyberpunk and DBD. Games like this I always just hop back in for an hour whenever I get the time to just dick around, find gear, etc. But finishing the campaign is just something I've made peace with never doing lol.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Finally had the time to jump into this last night, and what a ride this game is. I've only completed Demons Souls as far as Fromsoftware games go, and only played about a 1/4 of Bloodborne, but this seems to be the more accessible game for me so far.

I love how free everything feels, how the wildlife moves, the weather conditions in certain areas, finding a random graveyard in the corner of the map with the dead scaring the crap out of me; the hits from the enemies and yourself have so much weight behind them, it feels great to get a perfect parry with a counter move. Some people have been complaining about the visuals, but besides some screen tearing here and there, and a tiny bit of stuttering (Playing on PS5), it hasn't really left a lasting aftereffect towards it.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Oooh boy I'm a lot farther than some people here, I definitely have no life. 9 generally also have a lot of experience with these games so haven't found a ton of resistance until recently. Godrick and Margit were easy for me. But the twin abductors and renalla took me a few hours. Now I'm putting in a serious level grind to use the renalla loot

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah Godrick and Margit were easy enough since there's like 9 ways to cheese them. I'm also only able to play for like 45 min chunks at a time after the family's asleep lol. Currently at the Academy of Raya Lucaria or whatever it's called...pretty cool vibe in there.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    these games always have a ton of content to explore, but if you're going for the just the main content, if you can "git gud" you can rock through it in an afternoon. I don't know if that's the case with this one, but there's some impressive speed runs of every other Souls game.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    these games always have a ton of content to explore, but if you're going for the just the main content, if you can "git gud" you can rock through it in an afternoon. I don't know if that's the case with this one, but there's some impressive speed runs of every other Souls game.
    Wife was gone last weekend so I got some heavy hours in...not so much this week! I probably have 18 hrs in now, I need to get to the Academy. Any suggestions on heavier armor?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Hahaa, I needed a good laugh today

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Finished the Academy and Ainsel River boss which was a pig to beat. Only took a few tries and having a +12 twinblade and 800 HP helped.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    To dive into some detail about how Elden Ring exceeds it's hype, now that I've sunk in too many hours, over leveled my character and idk maybe completed optimistically about 60% of everything in the game:

The "Breath of the Wild" meets "Dark Souls" analogy people levy at the game is pretty accurate, but I'd go as far as to say that it lacks a lot of the weaknesses of "Breath of the Wild," the controversial weapon durability system, the "carnival booth" nature of that game" and "Elden Ring" manages to be much more dense than breath of the wild. This map is just absolutely littered with stuff to do. Simply setting a goal of going from point A to B, you will encounter significant resistance, and probably get side tracked several times over.

I'm very impressed by the intricacy of many of the dungeons in this game. These are staggeringly detailed sprawling levels that are quite easy to get lost in and lose track of. I was worried going in that From's famous level design skills would be contested in a more open ended game, but here they are at their peak, but this time, over and over and over again.

The free form nature of the game is enriched by the many approaches the player can take to the game. Yes this is much like Skyrim, but here I think the power fantasy has a higher ceiling than in Skyrim. Also loving the armor designs and character designs and the broader uniqueness of the lore here. And unlike so many of Elden Ring's contemporaries it isn't jammed down the players throat. Dialogue remains minimal, cutscenes are rare and brief. I was somewhat concerned that as a fantasy game, given an open world, Dark Souls might lose it's visual identity, but Elden Ring has many colorful and interesting ideas that give it its own identity.

Loving a lot of the questlines in this. I typically ignore them in souls games, but they are very rich, here.

I'm not even sure how close I am to completion. This is a big, busy game. I'm running a sorcerer right now at like level 120 and she looks and feels so bad ass to play.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm at level 62 with about 18 hours in I think. I have a warrior with a +11 Uchigatana, it seems like the heavier weapons that I usually use for Souls games don't stagger enough to make it worth it this time. Headed to finish Caelid now I suppose after finding the first two Eldin Runes.

I agree with your comments above, it has the same sense of discovery like Skyrim had for me. I'm also glad they took out durability entirely, and it really pissed me off in BOTW.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Love the game but it only took my 35 hours of playing it to finally find the key to get into the academy……… I went everywhere looking for this key only to find out there was a hint to where to find it in an item I picked up. I should of known better but it’s very hard to read everything in these games because you get so many things you have no idea what they are for. I’m playing a blind run so I have literally no idea what half of what I have is. I know all the old stuff from the other Fromsoft games like the talisman being the rings ex ex and the craftable items I figured out 15 hours in the game….also why did it take me 30 plus times to beat margrit ? I thought I was good at these games ?! I feel like this game is From’s greatest game. I def see the breath of the wild meets souls reference
    Last edited by Rdm; 03-11-2022 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    Love the game but it only took my 35 hours of playing it to finally find the key to get into the academy……… I went everywhere looking for this key only to find out there was a hint to where to find it in an item I picked up. I should of known better but it’s very hard to read everything in these games because you get so many things you have no idea what they are for. I’m playing a blind run so I have literally no idea what half of what I have is. I know all the old stuff from the other Fromsoft games like the talisman being the rings ex ex and the craftabke items I figured out 15 hours in the game….
    It may ruin the fun, but if I need something or can't figure something out I always look it up to save potential hours

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I figured out that Elden Ring is not for me. I gave it 10 hours of my life, but alas. (and yes, this was my first Souls-like game)

EDIT: Okay...so I liked it a little more after some further playing. But still!
    Last edited by artdeco; 03-12-2022 at 04:03 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Found some much needed time off from work and have been playing this A LOT.

Over 65 hours in, level 135 Samurai, running an Intelligence/Dex build, with a +10 Moonveil Katana and +15 Meteoric Blade that just cuts through bosses like butter. Summon Oleg Knight is my best pal and is up to a +9 right now, along with having 4 runes. Currently in the mountain tops, then finding a way into Nokron!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Dude I have 100 hours and I'm lower level than you what did I do wrong

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Dude I have 100 hours and I'm lower level than you what did I do wrong
    Hahaa, I found a few spots I shouldn't have been in yet, but the enemies were giving me over 2500 runes a pop, so I just keep crafting Gold-Pickled Fowl Feet, equip the Golden Scarab, rinse and repeat. There is also a grace point on a road in Mohgwyn that is across from a bird that gives you over 11,000 runes a pop. What is amazing about this game is no matter how much you boost some stats and upgrade a weapon, there is always a boss or mini boss that will straight up own you.

There are a few good grind spots, but boosting your HP and Robustness is crazy important. A lot of newcomers complain about dying easily, without doing some research on what every stat does. This one person was upgrading his strength wondering why he wasn't getting stronger... It just takes a tiny bit of critical thinking to get past that hurdle of feeling overwhelmed, but I can understand why some people check out when they hit Godrick lol. Margit was easy after I stumbled upon Margit's Shackle that binds him to the ground...FUCK I love this game.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 03-12-2022 at 06:32 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    After acquiring the Sword of Night and Flame I'm honestly in mini-boss God mode now.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Found some much needed time off from work and have been playing this A LOT.

Over 65 hours in, level 135 Samurai, running an Intelligence/Dex build, with a +10 Moonveil Katana and +15 Meteoric Blade that just cuts through bosses like butter. Summon Oleg Knight is my best pal and is up to a +9 right now, along with having 4 runes. Currently in the mountain tops, then finding a way into Nokron!
    I assume you're power stancing with both equipped? I'm using a +13 Uchi

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    After acquiring the Sword of Night and Flame I'm honestly in mini-boss God mode now.
    I got that sword based on that post in this, I'm at level 175 with like 80 int and 50 faith and it just murders most of the endgame mobs. Helped me a bit in clearing melenia as well

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I know this might sound hyperbolic but I’m feeling this game could go down as one of the greatest games of all time and I’m only halfway through the game. Just so good so far. Using godrick’s axe at plus 5.
    Last edited by Rdm; 03-16-2022 at 03:44 AM.